Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

Don't they straight reuse a Godzilla suit in Ultraman?

A little wackier than that- they reuse a body and an entirely different head that don't fit together so they had to add a giant gaudy frill to hide that

They then had Ultraman tear it off and use it as a matador cape because Ultraman is a dick and its great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I’ve been working through my Gamera boxset and some of these older films are goddamn bizarre.....

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I gotta be honest, this is not what I expected from a movie called Destroy All Monsters.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Gripweed posted:

I gotta be honest, this is not what I expected from a movie called Destroy All Monsters.

It should have been called “Destroy, All Monsters!”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

poo poo I meant All Monsters Attack not Destroy All Monsters!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Extremely Conservative Voice: The real monsters are street crime and women in the work place.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

poo poo I meant All Monsters Attack not Destroy All Monsters!

The American title was even better at being misleading

GODZILLA'S REVENGE

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shiroc posted:

Extremely Conservative Voice: The real monsters are street crime and women in the work place.

Also in Gamera vs. Guiron traffic accidents.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Burkion posted:

The American title was even better at being misleading

GODZILLA'S REVENGE

The American titles can be hilarious sometimes.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Earlier someone here said that the american version of one or more of the godzilla movies was better than the original. Which movie(s) was that?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Earlier someone here said that the american version of one or more of the godzilla movies was better than the original. Which movie(s) was that?

It’s generally accepted that the American cut of Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster is a tighter movie, I think. But I think the thread was saying this about King Kong vs Godzilla.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Splint Chesthair posted:

It’s generally accepted that the American cut of Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster is a tighter movie, I think. But I think the thread was saying this about King Kong vs Godzilla.

I'm not so sure about KK vs Godzilla, but the three for sure ones are Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, Monster Zero and Mothra VS Godzilla 1964, in terms of 'how much better'.

The American cut of Ghidorah has superior editing, to the point that Ishiro Honda re-edited the Japanese version to be closer to it for some festival but I don't think that's ever made its way to home media. Monster Zero is already an international production and features Nick Adams, whose performance is outstanding. And Mothra VS Godzilla is largely the same movie either way, but the American cut includes additional Godzilla footage filmed specifically for American cinemas, with the US Navy taking on Godzilla and failing.

The dubs are all perfectly competent, nothing cut for content or such.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Splint Chesthair posted:

"Oh Godzilla, what terrible language!"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1316916758922612737?s=20

Those monsters look very familiar....

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Besides those mentioned, the US cut of Godzilla 2000 is superior.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oh my God yes

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Besides those mentioned, the US cut of Godzilla 2000 is superior.

I think I've only ever seen one version of it, what's the difference?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

They cut out quite a bit of filler, mostly.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

wdarkk posted:

The translated dialogue has a much more tongue-in-cheek quality to it, for one thing. Most notably, a missile is described as being able to tear through Godzilla "like crap through a goose!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there are a few more little jokes in the dub, but in a fun way. They also sneak in a Strangelove reference. ("I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed...")

But mostly the Japanese cut has some pacing problems (Okawara has this problem in other films too, Destoroyah and Mothra '92 both have scenes which drag out way longer than they should for no good reason.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Would you pay 1,430 yen for a single bottle of Mothra beer?

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1317173225479090184?s=20

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gripweed posted:

That's, what, $14-$15?

So probably yes

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gripweed posted:

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1317173225479090184?s=20

I need these. Even if it’s just the bottles.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I need these. Even if it’s just the bottles.

I'm sure they will be on Yahoo Japan auctions soon after they are released.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, Godzilla finally got to go on a date..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbgPW68Psqw

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That is incredible

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, Godzilla finally got to go on a date..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbgPW68Psqw

Super adorable

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm not happy with Godzilla vs Gigan. Gigan kicks rear end, he looks like a kaiju made to kill other kaiju. He has a visor and his front is a chainsaw. So I finally get to his titular debut film, and it turns out he's just King Ghidorah's friend. He doesn't even get his own cool introduction, they show up right next to each other and King Ghidorah gets to do his flaming animation thing before Gigan does his exploding crystal. Gigan is just King Ghidorah's plus one!

Gigan deserves a movie where he is the only or at least the primary kaiju antagonist.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FUUUUUUCCCKKKK YESSSSSSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3C0T7ezK1s

(Also yes just about all of it is footage from Ultraman/etc. stuff except for the closeups)

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 18, 2020

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Gripweed posted:

I'm not happy with Godzilla vs Gigan. Gigan kicks rear end, he looks like a kaiju made to kill other kaiju. He has a visor and his front is a chainsaw. So I finally get to his titular debut film, and it turns out he's just King Ghidorah's friend. He doesn't even get his own cool introduction, they show up right next to each other and King Ghidorah gets to do his flaming animation thing before Gigan does his exploding crystal. Gigan is just King Ghidorah's plus one!

Gigan deserves a movie where he is the only or at least the primary kaiju antagonist.

I don't know how to tell you this, but Gigan always was and always will be a +1.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I don't know how to tell you this, but Gigan always was and always will be a +1.

I like to think of Gigan as the kaiju version of Arn Anderson. He's a great worker but his best stuff is as part of a tag team.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm not a fan of this Jet Jaguar character.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Godzilla vs Megalon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rO-I7butL4

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The best Gigan is def Final Wars.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gripweed posted:

I'm not a fan of this Jet Jaguar character.

Mods?!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ha, vs Gigan was my favorite as a kid. Gigan make Godzilla bleed, it's hardcore!

My hot take is that the Final Wars design is stupid and ugly.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Ha, vs Gigan was my favorite as a kid. Gigan make Godzilla bleed, it's hardcore!

My hot take is that the Final Wars design is stupid and ugly.

I like my perfect green and gold round boy. No need to make a literally edgy boy metaphorically edgy too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also the version people like of FW Gigan isn't even the one that's in the film. There's a way, WAY slimmer, more xenomorphy take on the design that is pretty much exclusive to merch- the monsterarts is of that take and such- while the actual film version is kind of dumpy and lumpy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm just a sucker for double chainsaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really like the design for Godzilla in Final Wars. It was modern but timeless. A slimmer evolution of the Heisei ones but losing the bulk.