Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ulf posted:

• The new-to-me concept of tow-charging the Rivians. In ep 4(?) they run one of their Rivians to empty, so they stop a semi driver and ask him to unhook his load, strap the truck to his bobtail, and drag the Rivian around for 30 minutes. IIRC they say they're getting 80% charge per hour doing this?

I saw a video about using a raptor to tow-charge a model 3. Probably not the best vehicle to do it with as far as efficiency goes, but interesting nonetheless. I wonder if Rivian is planning on having a dedicated mode for this that optimizes the regen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaGVoB4Zn-Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

VideoGameVet posted:

I drive past the Porsche Experience Center in Los Angeles every week (405 and 110). Always cool to see the bank of chargers with those cars.

Tempting to try one out.

You should definitely do that, I'm sure it would be a load of fun.

I took it out for a drive this evening on some better roads and the precise steering, lack of body roll and great ride is fantastic. And even though it's "just" a 4S it's incredibly rapid and I don't really see why you'd pay 60k more for a turbo, dick waving aside.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'd feel embarrassed about having an electric car with "turbo" on it. (Unless someone invents a better heat pump that is turbo charged)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You can order your Porsche debadged straight from the factory if you'd like.

The Model S price cuts just won't stop:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1316454051693895680?s=20

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I think I rolled my eyes so hard they fell out of the back of my head.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

The prophecy would be a refresh, maybe it'll come before Half Life 3? Model 3 refresh includes new sport wheels that are more aerodynamic.

MomJeans420 posted:

Saw this thing about Bolts this morning:

Honestly between this and the Kona recall for battery fires, I'm making some big thinky faces at LG Chem. 🤔

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
To get the charging rates they’re talking about must be hell on the Rivian tires.

Not sure how many kWh are in the prototype batteries but I think they mention 200 mile range.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Really feelin' great about my 2 week old Bolt 😬

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

knox_harrington posted:

Aahahaha

Loooooolllll

mods ban this sick filth

just kidding, i'm so, so jealous

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

knox_harrington posted:

Aahahaha

Loooooolllll

If you want this awesome looking car added to your rapsheet as a car sixxer, I'll be delighted to oblige

Shai-Hulud posted:

I think I rolled my eyes so hard they fell out of the back of my head.

Oh good, I wasnt the only one.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

it actually happened

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Congratulations on the order. Hope you get the Model S soon.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I think you mean hope you have sex and smoke weed soon.

Lol get it cause it’s the sex number and the weed number is the price of the car. Elon is such a meme master I hope the mission to Mars is called Mars 69 lol oh man love the car. Love Tesla. You’d never see the fuddy duddies at Porsche do that.

*roof flies off, autopilot drives you into the back of a semi*

Quality lolz.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 15, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Porsche 9/11

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Charles posted:

Porsche 9/11

:aaaaa:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm getting ready to return my 2017 Bolt and its been entirely trouble-free.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So it looks like the ID.BUZZ might be a bit more likely to happen?

https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/news/2020/10/Volkswagen-Group-invests-in-automation-for-Emden-Hanover-and-Chattanooga.html

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

knox_harrington posted:

They're going to be for summer tyres in late April. These 20in wheels are just a bit narrower and have winter tyres on now. Interestingly (maybe) they are a specific electric winter version, Pirelli P Zero Winter Elect.

It's really nice to drive, these roads in the Lavaux are all very narrow so haven't been able to have much fun yet but it feels way more precise than my TTS did, and rides much better as well.

You have a sweet new car and you live in Lavaux? Super jealous right now.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
If there are any Seattle goons still looking at the Kona EV, I was at the North Seattle dealer for a part and they were finishing up prepping another batch for sale. As far as I know they're still the only dealer in the state with any.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tesla has released the refreshed Model 3, now starts at 263 miles of range standard (up from 250). The long range model has been boosted from 322 to 353 miles, and 0-60 improved to 4.2 seconds. Performance gets an extra 16 miles of range and is a tenth of a second faster, 3.1 seconds now.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Tesla Model 3 configurator updated - same price as before. SR+ is 263 miles, LR is 353 miles, performance 315 mi. New center console and chrome delete, new sport wheels too that are a bit less shiny and a bit more aerodynamic. New center console @ white interior:

USB ports added into the glove box for hiding your dash cam drive and a few other improvements. Seems like solid improvements. I would bet this has a heat pump now also.

Looks like with the refresh most of Tesla's other vehicles got improvements to range as well.

Edit: Model Y @ 326 mi for reference.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 16, 2020

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Some pretty nice updates:

- Heat pump
- Powered trunk
- Matte black surfaces for center console/etc
- redesigned console
- Chrome delete
- Supposedly better sound proofing

And some rumors of a heated steering wheel too, I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere though.

I bought mine in March and of course the refresh happens now. Ah well, such is life. The private market worth of mine is pretty close to a new car so the depreciation hit would be minimal but still probably not worth bothering. Awesome updates for new owners though, makes it a lot more feature competitive with cars in that price range.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Heat pump is probably the biggest improvement for range, especially going into winter.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wonder if they re-did the trunk tub as well, to one like the Model Y has. A nice update regardless. Big price drop in Norway as well, $3700.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Welp finally got new tires for the Volt... still had the factory set on 58k miles! Needless to say they where.... ummm "broken in".

Bought them through work at cost and didn't get low rolling resistance tires because I am a cheap bastard. Will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes. Though it will be hard to tell since it's getting cold now and that always means a range hit anyways.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
So I get to drive from San Diego to Vegas for a family event in Nov.

Recommendations for a fast charge along the way?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VideoGameVet posted:

So I get to drive from San Diego to Vegas for a family event in Nov.

Recommendations for a fast charge along the way?

https://www.evtripplanner.com/

I've used that a ton.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

IMO, this one is way better.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The Tesla unconditional 7 day return policy is now gone.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/16/21520086/tesla-full-refund-seven-day-return-policy-removed

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Same. I keep reminding myself that "venting with flame" has been a problem with laptop batteries and none of my laptops ever barbecued my nuts.

Oddly enough a friend just sent me this video. I'm curious if anyone knows the details, since neither of us can figure out the vehicle type (other than the MB truck), the plates, or the truck logo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F1XiXvklvo

Guy's a climate change denier and rolled his eyes hard when he heard we'd bought an EV. otoh I rolled my eyes a few months later when he bought an Alfa Romero. When we were neighbours his hobby was restoring old jaguars so he should have a good idea what he's getting into mechanically.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I think that video made sure that I’ll never charge my car in the garage ever again so...thanks?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hexigrammus posted:

Same. I keep reminding myself that "venting with flame" has been a problem with laptop batteries and none of my laptops ever barbecued my nuts.

Oddly enough a friend just sent me this video. I'm curious if anyone knows the details, since neither of us can figure out the vehicle type (other than the MB truck), the plates, or the truck logo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F1XiXvklvo

Guy's a climate change denier and rolled his eyes hard when he heard we'd bought an EV. otoh I rolled my eyes a few months later when he bought an Alfa Romero. When we were neighbours his hobby was restoring old jaguars so he should have a good idea what he's getting into mechanically.

I'm pretty sure that's a Chinese license plate and the white van might be a Maxus G10.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Appears to be a Dongfeng Succe EV. No I'm not making up that name.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dongfeng_Succe_facelift_002.jpg

After comparing it, it is definitely a Dongfeng Succe.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 18, 2020

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Well, I'll be joining the EV crew soon. Test drove a Model 3 this afternoon and enjoyed it despite Chicago traffic. Was a little strange not hearing an engine responding to the pedal, and my wife made herself queasy flooring it (Was in a regular Long Range version, not performance). She keeps describing it as like a roller coaster. Talked to the sales guy afterwards and placed an order.

There was a very soft sell on existing inventory, just a "Hey, there's two options, you can place a custom order and wait, or we have existing inventory available now, and for $1400 off since it doesn't have the new updates." (I think that was the "showroom discount" they listed, I wasn't interested.) Overheard another guy who took a test drive at the same time say he wanted a car right away, so the extra range/features aren't must haves for everyone.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I love how closely they're sticking to the original Trabant 601 interior.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

borkencode posted:

Well, I'll be joining the EV crew soon. Test drove a Model 3 this afternoon and enjoyed it despite Chicago traffic. Was a little strange not hearing an engine responding to the pedal, and my wife made herself queasy flooring it (Was in a regular Long Range version, not performance). She keeps describing it as like a roller coaster. Talked to the sales guy afterwards and placed an order.

There was a very soft sell on existing inventory, just a "Hey, there's two options, you can place a custom order and wait, or we have existing inventory available now, and for $1400 off since it doesn't have the new updates." (I think that was the "showroom discount" they listed, I wasn't interested.) Overheard another guy who took a test drive at the same time say he wanted a car right away, so the extra range/features aren't must haves for everyone.

Especially with how cold Chicago can get I would think that getting the model with the heat pump would be a major boon for you. You're probably looking at the difference of halving your range in the if you don't have a heat pump, whereas if you do it's just like running the air conditioner in the summer.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nitrousoxide posted:

Especially with how cold Chicago can get I would think that getting the model with the heat pump would be a major boon for you. You're probably looking at the difference of halving your range in the if you don't have a heat pump, whereas if you do it's just like running the air conditioner in the summer.

Yeah, I wish there was a way to retrofit a heat pump into existing vehicles but I understand it will never happen because it would require basically swapping out the entire thermal management system (it isn't just hvac, it also manages the motors and battery too). Went for a drive yesterday at around ~50F outside with climate on auto and it averaged over 315 Wh/mile (though it was also windy and some rain). Those resistive heaters are nice in how quickly they get the cabin warmed up, but the power draw is brutal.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

borkencode posted:

Congratulations!

Heads up: Eventually you will drive an ICE car, get out, walk away, and forget to turn the car off. This has been a long running joke among Tesla owners, and it happened to me for the first time yesterday.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to install PlugShare on your phone.

I agree that the heat pump in the new model would be helpful for Chicago winters. Whether it's worth $1400 and a delay probably varies depending on the owner's driving pattern and charging habits.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If you preheat while plugged in it isn't nearly as brutal on the battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

MrPablo posted:

Congratulations!

Heads up: Eventually you will drive an ICE car, get out, walk away, and forget to turn the car off. This has been a long running joke among Tesla owners, and it happened to me for the first time yesterday.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to install PlugShare on your phone.

I agree that the heat pump in the new model would be helpful for Chicago winters. Whether it's worth $1400 and a delay probably varies depending on the owner's driving pattern and charging habits.

After the test drive we got out and my wife said, "Wait do we need to turn it off?" and I just replied "Nope, just walk away." We've got a Forrester that's push button start/stop, so no key in the ignition, feel like that just makes it more likely I'll end up leaving it running at one point.

I'm working from home for the foreseeable future, so getting it right now isn't necessary, and the range and updates are worth it to me. Plus the quicker 0-60 makes me less likely to purchase the $2000 acceleration boost software unlock, so I'm actually saving $600 by waiting (he tells himself).