Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Can anyone confirm if Sleepy Princess gets better after several chapters? I'm diving into the show right now.

yeah. it starts out basically repeating the same joke over and over, later on it adds new jokes and gets better at doing variations on the same joke premises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst, a show with a nigh incomprehensible name, seems to be getting zero press or hype. It's based on a mobile game. It is very seineny and seems tailor made for netflix.

But you know what? It's telling a pretty interesting story. It's about the lives of two people getting completely upended by accident after intersecting with revolutionaries and smugglers and corrupt self serving governments. It has a turn of the 20th century aesthetic. It has the classic fantasy manga trope of scary magical monsters and uses them as the backdrop of a society falling apart at the seams.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Phobophilia posted:

Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst, a show with a nigh incomprehensible name, seems to be getting zero press or hype. It's based on a mobile game. It is very seineny and seems tailor made for netflix.

But you know what? It's telling a pretty interesting story. It's about the lives of two people getting completely upended by accident after intersecting with revolutionaries and smugglers and corrupt self serving governments. It has a turn of the 20th century aesthetic. It has the classic fantasy manga trope of scary magical monsters and uses them as the backdrop of a society falling apart at the seams.

"Evil Truth: Firstly" isn't even close to being the most incomprehensible name to come out of a place where games will have names like "Under Night: In-Birth."

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 14, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

under night in birth is a great name for a video game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not like hosed up/goofy naming schemes for media are a regional thing

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hi! Welcome to the wonderful world of fucky Mathcore/Metalcore/Djent's song and/or album titles! Hope you enjoy your stay!

We have wonderful hits such as this little ditty from Morris Plains' former heavy-weight champions The Dillinger Escape Plan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ewE9nPb4I

Or this wonderful cut off of Car Bomb's seminal sophomore release titled w^w^^w^w:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZzskgUA9Vw

Enjoy your stay and remember: prrr-pu-prrr! pu-prrr! pu-prrr! :rock:

Recommended reading and listening:
Sigur Ros' album named simply ( )
R.E.M. closing song on their seminal album Green, simply titled " "

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh we're sharing our tastes in metal? I'll go next!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBCliThEYEw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suG-c_i2fBQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnHialslu6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qciMkZsCul8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36v6XBpa7CA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc4RrZZiOfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xZUr0BEfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obY4c9aqUqs

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Hi! Welcome to the wonderful world of fucky Mathcore/Metalcore/Djent's song and/or album titles! Hope you enjoy your stay!

We have wonderful hits such as this little ditty from Morris Plains' former heavy-weight champions The Dillinger Escape Plan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ewE9nPb4I

Or this wonderful cut off of Car Bomb's seminal sophomore release titled w^w^^w^w:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZzskgUA9Vw

Enjoy your stay and remember: prrr-pu-prrr! pu-prrr! pu-prrr! :rock:

Recommended reading and listening:
Sigur Ros' album named simply ( )
R.E.M. closing song on their seminal album Green, simply titled " "

Shameful music fan forgetting to even mention Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven!. :colbert:

...And Oceans had fun with song names on their last album before reforming as Havoc Unit Angelina: Chthonian Earth: Her Face Forms Worms

Rainbow Butt Monkeys is the greatest band name, even if they were better as finger eleven musically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2g25dt9bY0

Special mention just because its a really good song, Ghost Ship of Cannibal Rats

Music and anime are fun and my escapes from lovely days at work like today. Bungo Stray Dogs has a good opening song and Im really enjoying the show in general. :unsmith:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I was just going for annoying song/album names that are a pain in the rear end to search for. Those are all good, though! And I'm glad you're enjoying Bungo Stray Dogs. :)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

How was the Moriarty show?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Adachi And Shimamura's getting a better adaptation that I was afraid it might. Akari Kito and Miku Ito are both a real delight to listen to.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's incredibly cute and I'm enjoying the heck outta it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's probably my favorite of the season so far.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Kild posted:

How was the Moriarty show?

Not great. Editing is really choppy, it's hard to tell how one scene leads to the next sometimes. There's a weird narrative kickoff where a kid is reading a Sherlock book and it seems pointless. They're framing Moriarty as a vigilante pursuing his own idea of justice, which is really not my jam.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Adachi and Shimamura is real good both in adapting the source but also being just a visually nice show to look at

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I just watched the first episode and everything is breezy and pretty.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Majo ep 3.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Watched the first episode of Adachi and Shimamura, seems like a nice, comfy, slice of life show where maybe they forgot to put in comedy. Where it really stands out is the fantastic art design. I want to live my life in this color palette. Also, wow, the director really is making sure you keep your eyes on the thighs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not really meant to be a comedy or anything. The source material delves more into the complexities of their feelings about each other, especially in the novels.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AdaShima's kind of in an interesting place where it's not nearly as interested in character drama and associated relationship messiness as something like, ie, Bloom Into You, but it's got too much anxiety and navel-gazing to really call it an Iyashikei piece either. It's really a story about just kind of following along with Adachi and Shimamura's own internal monologues as they kind of meander through their uneventful daily lives and their feelings for each other. I really like it and think the character's voices are more than charming and well-defined enough to make all that meandering enjoyable, but I can see how it's not gonna hit for everybody.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If it's true to the novels/manga and some of the author's previous works, then I'm fully loving in with the anime adaptation.

Not sure if anything will beat how strangely charming Denpa Onna's OP was, though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_4S4HMth4Q

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

if i loved denpa onna will that have any bearing on whether i'll like this one or is it a totally different gear? internal monologue heavy drama is not usually my thing

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Elaina’s episode this week is pretty Kino-esque and representative of what Elaina is willing to delve into, in case anyone was assuming it’d just be fluffy fun times every week based off the the first two episodes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I didn't think it was especially well adapted, tbh, despite really enjoying the first two eps. The first story replaced a much more ambiguous stinger with a zombie apocalypse that doesn't even make that much sense in relation to the rest of the scenario, and the second cut out a lot of Elaina's inner monologue from the book and made her seem much more indifferent to the slave's plight. Makes me worry a bit about later material.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Mordja posted:

Majo ep 3.

Quite, I spent most of the episode asking "why aren't you helping?". Especially the first bit, which really could be resolved through brute force.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
In the first episode she made three promises to her parents, apparently the result of the first and third promises is that she takes as little risk as possible, also she forgot the second promise.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 16, 2020

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
re elaina;

man did Nino kill herself after that? That's dark. :smith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

re elaina;

man did Nino kill herself after that? That's dark. :smith:

the character in the story Elaina was thinking of as a comparison did. We never find out about Nino herself-at least not in either of the novels that have been TL'd so far.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Dzhay posted:

Quite, I spent most of the episode asking "why aren't you helping?". Especially the first bit, which really could be resolved through brute force.

Both could have been solved through brute force TBH.:byoscience:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiritus Nox posted:

AdaShima's kind of in an interesting place where it's not nearly as interested in character drama and associated relationship messiness as something like, ie, Bloom Into You, but it's got too much anxiety and navel-gazing to really call it an Iyashikei piece either. It's really a story about just kind of following along with Adachi and Shimamura's own internal monologues as they kind of meander through their uneventful daily lives and their feelings for each other. I really like it and think the character's voices are more than charming and well-defined enough to make all that meandering enjoyable, but I can see how it's not gonna hit for everybody.

Yeah I don't love it but it kinda reminds me of the manga see you in the food court tomorrow in that it's kinda nostalgic and reminds me of the good days in high school that I usually forget about. I like it, odd choice for an anime adaptation though it might be.

Spiritus Nox posted:

the character in the story Elaina was thinking of as a comparison did. We never find out about Nino herself-at least not in either of the novels that have been TL'd so far.

:ohdear:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jujutsu managed to maintain the dorky high energy fun into episode 3. Still kind of worried it will fall short as the season goes on like God of High School did. :ohdear:

DanMachi and Burn the Witch Im still not sold on, probably give both one more episode before I call it quits.

Still need to give Wandering Witch, Akudama Drive and Talentless Nana a watch. Probably next week when I finally get some time off.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I went back to reread the story since it’s been a while since I read that first volume of Elaina. There’s little subtle changes in the adaptation where I can see how it might not be fully executed well that you just sorta have to hope the viewer catches on to things since we don’t have her full thought process. Like it’s more apparent about Emil’s privileged mindset is an issue in the LN than it is in the anime. Also interestingly how the anime changed the ending of the husband and wife story too.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 17, 2020

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Thoughts on the current season:

Sleepy Princess
Syallis is, in fact, the cutest li'l princess, and her OP is great. But overall? Eh, not for me. I don't play enough JRPGs for this kind of humor to be funny, and you really need to have nostalgia for these sorts of games to like this anime, imo. This is similar to the problems I had with the widely-liked Mahoujin Guru-Guru that aired a couple years back, so I guess I should've seen this coming. Oh well.

Talentless Nana
Looks kind of cheap, but the first episode's switcheroo was well played and normals vs supers is My One Weakness™, so this is actually one of the anime I'm most looking forward to, for now.

Akudama Drive
Dumb as hell, edgy as hell, stylish as hell. It'll be a coin toss whether the dumb-ness cancels out the stylish-ness by the end, but I'm on board for the ride this train is taking.

Moriarty the Patriot
Some questionable directing (what was up with that first story segment?), and I'm not particularly enthused to see Moriarty re-envisioned as a generic anime pretty-boy. The first mystery also seemed like it was solved a bit too simply? All that aside, I'll continue to watch this, simply to watch vigilante justice satisfy my personal bloodlust generated by the last anime I'm watching.

Wandering Witch

Jokes aside, this might end up being my AOTS. The third episode was very depressing; in fact, it might be one of the most depressing anime episodes I've seen. Even if crueler stuff happens in other anime, at least you feel the resistance offered by the (usually) main characters. It's hard to watch Elaina journey through the land, seeing people who desperately need her help, that she certainly has the personal* power to help, only for her to just continue on her way. My feelings towards her neutrality have curdled. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, from a writing perspective. Strong protagonists who intervene in every local's problems they come across without suffering any real consequences are a dime-a-dozen. I can't judge Elaina's actions until we know more about the world she lives in. Are witches gods amongst men, who craft their own authority wherever they go? If so, man, Elaina, you hosed up. Or are they the magical-societal equivalent to people with open-carry gun permits? Like, yea they could kill you under a second, but if they go around a-firin' then that poo poo gets shut down fast? Are there witch-hunters that track down arrogant witches who get too cocky with their authority? What is the power structure in their world? Is the local slaver lord propped up by a powerful witch himself? Are there concrete examples of competent witches using their magic to help people, only for it to backfire horribly and so you always have to keep in mind the risk? What are the risks? Are we talking Chernobyl Diaries if things go wrong? And even if Elaina is not justified in her neutrality, does the show acknowledge that? Or, at least, is cognizant of our own lives-of-luxury-21st-century-perspective? Anti-heroes are commonly reduced to just "heroes, but ruthless!"; Elaina might be a return to form. Heck, even if my opinion of her turns to downright villainy, that sort of perspective can still make for a good story. Or is the anime going to be tone-deaf and just say "Welp, world's hosed, but look at this witch! Look at how cute she is! Have you seen her giant hat!? Seriously, this poo poo's huge!" Or pretend that we the audience are invested in someone who we find repulsive? Looking at YOU, Overlord.

The mere fact that I'm asking these questions means this anime has it's teeth in me, which is always a good sign. And even if it goes tits up, at least I can always imagine bloody crossovers with Moriarty the Patriot.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:stare: :psyduck: Elaina ep 3 :psyduck: :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Malsangoroth posted:

Or pretend that we the audience are invested in someone who we find repulsive? Looking at YOU, Overlord.

Nah, Overlord's big trick is to draw the audience in with the Tomb of Nazarick mostly being honorable decent to eachother and those under their domain... and then viciously pulling the rug out once or twice a season with something astoundingly dark or heinous to remind the audience they are loving evil.

Especially in the last season with their method of testing their defenses by luring multiple adventurer parties in to see how they fair. And then watching from the heavily-backstoried adventurer's perspective as they all experience total party wipes :gibs:. Or the Black Baby Goats :cthulhu:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Both could have been solved through brute force TBH.:byoscience:

Yeah, but the second part might have resulted in a shootout with whatever wizard-cops the local government has. Not sure anyone would have objected to her just AOE-ing the evil flowers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
TBF, I feel like the most important part of being a 'wandering witch' is the mobility it implies. She doesn't even have to hurt anyone, just get the poor girl out of there and use her magic to set her up with another life far away.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm getting some ACCA 13 vibes out of Magatsu's "protagonists stumble into a conspiracy" stuff, especially since the unit commander has the same VA as Nino.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Allarion posted:

Elaina’s episode this week is pretty Kino-esque and representative of what Elaina is willing to delve into, in case anyone was assuming it’d just be fluffy fun times every week based off the the first two episodes.

I think I wanna drop it. She could've done a lot less worse than leave a slave in an abusive household. That moral really rings hollow for me as well because it should be "the things we do for the sake of others are not always the best for them, so we should loving ask them what they want"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wandering Witch is really loving gorgeous. At one point I was wondering if Funi had tossed me some 4k anime.