Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCk5XnxI46U

There's a new batch of goodies from the second gremlin check-in event. This event is back and it was barely gone in the first place. Log in for an hour, collect your reward. At the beginning you'll get second chance coupons you can spend to catch up if you miss a day or a few. Notable rewards of the relatively mundane sort include VVIP capsules, dye ampoules, Godly and New Era material boxes, unstable enhance and enchant runes, premium armor fusion runes, and fatigue potions. There are also a handful of very special rewards scattered amongs: A permanent storage ticket, a rare tail box, a permanent hair coupon, a superior pet box, a +1 quality coupon, a "petal wings" box, a "succubus couch" object, yet another primal flame box (but this one lets you choose between red and green), and finally, the Gremlin's Outfit Gift Package. It contains an outfit of your choice like the last box, but this one also contains outfit versions of character-specific armors. So, you can have a nice little blast from the past and put your Lann in Dark Crest again, like in the olden days.

However, I will note that the game is not clear on whether character-specific outfits are in addition to the legendary outfit or if they're an alternative. Nobody is asking the tough questions on the forums, but for now I would assume you can only get one outfit from the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxxqdrrpgZc

A couple of events are coming. They were announced weeks ago but I didn't mention them because why bother? Well, now it's botherin' time.

The Gods Might Be Crazy

quote:

Gods of Might Event

Event Period: September 7th - 22nd

The event for Redeemers has returned as 'Gods of Might' Mercenaries! Challenge the "gods" during the event period and reap the rewards they give also earning a new title as the 'God Challenger!'
Run Redeemers, get rewards. Clearing 6 Redeemer battles to complete the event quest will get you 4 Damascus Steels. They say you can repeat this quest twice, which I hope means you can get a total of 12 Steels for 18 wins. There's also new title for people who participate, but I'm not sure how many times you need to clear the event quest to get it.

If you want a thorough explanation of how Redeemer stats work, they decided to stick one on that page. How you gain progress, how you see your progress, and what bonuses are unlocked and when, mostly. It's nice to finally have an official reference but it's odd that they put it there, now, of all times.

When Bingos Kaliede

quote:

Kaleidobingo Event

Event Period: September 8th - October 6th

The Bingo event is back for this summer! Clear battles, collect the necessary amount of Satchel and Tickets, and earn rewards by completing Bingo! Check out the Exchange Shop as well for a reward of your choice! Let the games begin!
Complete normal battles, get satchels. You can either get a Super Shuffle Satchel (5 per week) that gives a random number or a Cherry-Picking Satchel (7 per week) that lets you choose the number you want. You're meant to clear up to twelve boards in one event period, which I assume is why the rewards aren't exciting. Seals, graces, merc pots. AP capsules for clearing specific lines. The reward for clearing cumulative lines is tickets. Tickets can be exchanged for dye ampoules and a gremlin t-shirt and these are supposed to be the real draw of the event. If you need seals or dyes it's not a bad deal. If you don't care about these things, go ahead and stick to raids.

Hey, you know what would be great? Bringing back the bingo event that gave the /cheerleader and /rave emotes. Several characters have been released since that event and they are shamefully lacking in silly emotes. Give me my free silly emotes, Nexon :mad:

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 7, 2020

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRtBT6McevA

It's time for an update. Ragnahim is here, as well as a bunch of events.

This is the 2.68 update

quote:

v.2.68 Updates

Major Content Patch Notes Table of Contents

Season 4 Episode 2 Extra: Ragnahim Update
Dressing Room 3rd Update
Character Friendship System 4th Update
New Avatar Shop: Lenses
Add Color Change Feature for Fixed Inner Armor
Comrade Performance Improvement
  • We just got the third friendship level, "Close Ally," not too long ago. Now we're up to fourth level, "Confidant." In battle, mercs get more of the benefits they got from reaching stage 3: They tire less and can keep up power stance for longer.
  • The new raid, Ragnahim, is out. They have nothing interesting to say about that here.
  • They've added more Wardrobe Room skills and emblems, which would be nice if I hadn't burned all of my characters' AP on the emblems they've already released. Oops. The wardrobe room also has a ton more functionality, which is nice if you care at all. It's okay if you don't care.
  • The avatar shop now contains cosmetic lenses for your eyemeats. Remember when they said they didn't want to do this sort of thing any more because getting Neamhain's Odd Eye working was such a clusterfuck? Guess they were overruled by the suits because there's a developer message specifically saying that this is a new implementation they came up with to avoid the old problems.
  • Comrades are better in combat now. I don't use comrades so I don't care. It's a sign of the times that "comrades" are now something that only the bourgeoisie can buy without being shamed for wasting money.
  • Characters got altered. Delia does less damage now. Lethor got a buff, but her block skill also got nerfed. Kai's Headshot skill got tweaked.
  • Redeemers battles can be played even if you've maxed out your completion counts. This was done so strong players could continue to help weaker friends who need help clearing battles. Nyle now drops a rank 5 scroll, "Vehement," and it's for enchanting belts. It is no longer possible to hit evil cores, so no more accidentally launching drops everywhere after killing the boss.
  • A bunch of graphical glitches got fixed, mostly having to do with outfits and objects

Go to 'him now

quote:

Season 4: Episode 2 - Extra 1 | Ragnahim

Spearhead of Paradise Lost: Ragnahim

Today, we would like to introduce the new raid, Spearhead of Paradise Lost.
The raid boss this time is Ragnahim, a mechanical weapon created to destroy paradise.

Ragnahim is a mechanical weapon made of a wooden frame that is reinforced with steel and is equipped with a gigantic steel sword that extends a long way.

The location you fight Ragnahim is a facility where weapons of gods are placed.

You will be able to learn who undid the seal on this mechanical weapon through the battle and the main storyline.
Ragnahim's a jerkbot. Not a robot that jerks you off, I mean a robot who's a jerk. Lunging attacks, grabs, life drain, and AoE electricity. Looks like a pain in the rear end to fight.

Another Discord event

quote:

4th Round of Discord Socialite Event!

Event Period: September 22nd - October 20th

The 4th round of our Discord community's socialite event is back for your friends and for your rewards! Invite your friends to the party and collectively reach and unlock altogether each milestone for free, cool, and exclusive rewards! Rewards are always first-come, first-serve so stay tuned with the count and the release!
They still want people to use the Discord, which is why I assume they don't ban the weirdos who post weirdly there. There are good things to find on the Discord, like guides and funny fanart and class advice. There's also giveaways like this one. The prize is one day of VVIP and some kind of cat head on a spring you put on your head. As more people join up, more coupon codes will be released.

Cheese Status: Moved

quote:

Squeak! Squeak! Who Took the Cheese?

Exchange Shop Period: September 22nd - October 27th

Who took the cheese?! Complete the missions that are given to you daily to collect enough [Remnant of Cheese Thief Coupons] to unveil the mystery at the Exchange Shop! Enjoy the cute cheese thief!
Complete your daily temporal missions to get Cheese tokens. Exchange tokens for rewards. 42 coupons (5 per account) gets you a box containing your choice of outfit. Two for male characters and two for female characters. The Chef Tender Loin/Hon Hon Honey outfit is basically a chef's outfit. Don't know what the other outfits look like because they refuse to tell us. You can also get a Cute Mouse Tattoo (18 tokens, 1 per character), or a mouse emblem (12 tokens, 1 per character). If you've got tokens left over at the end, you can get fatigue potions.

Oh yeah, cheese tokens and the outfit box aren't tradeable, so if you want the outfit you'd better make sure to bust your rear end on the character you want to have it.

Royal Army Recruit event, not a Royal Army Raid event

quote:

RAR's Discount Supplies Store Event!

Exchange Shop Period: September 22nd - October 27th

The Royal Army Recruit's giving you a chance on winning some of its exclusive items through its Exchange Shop once you complete its Event Battles with the Event Coupons that drop. Check out the details below and take advantage of this opportunity while you can earning the things you need to enhance your Heroes!
Run normal 95+ raids, from Dullahan to Ragnahim, to collect Supply Exchange Coupons. Exchange coupons for goodies. Goodies include a box that contains an Astera Weapon Essence (30 coupons, 1 per character), A restoration scroll (26 coupons, 1 per character), a Goibhniu Stone (26 coupons, 1 per character), a Max Stat Astera Armor Essence box (22 coupons, 1 per character), a Legendary weapon Ore Destiny Box and a Max Stat Legendary armor Ore Destiny box (22 coupons each, each 1 per character), unstable enhance runes (15 coupons, 3 per character), Premium power infusion safeguards (12 coupons each, 3 per character). Then, graces and superior HP pots. A lot of these boxes have expiration dates on them, so be careful with them and don't leave them sitting around after you buy them.

Free stuff, if you dare

quote:

Strange Traveler's Mercenary Recruiting!

Talk to the Strange Traveler to get a box. Exactly one box, because this is a per-account event. One box gives you goodies that can be used by low-level characters. Another gives you goodies that can be used by high-level characters. Please do not gently caress up this choice like I did.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

How are the fist lady and gun lady doing and how terrible is getting a character strong enough to do endgame stuff? I am considering playing this garbage game again.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Bakalakadaka posted:

How are the fist lady and gun lady doing and how terrible is getting a character strong enough to do endgame stuff? I am considering playing this garbage game again.
They've both been nerfed repeatedly in the past few months. I haven't been playing much lately but I assume they're still tolerable. The built-in freebies are good enough to get you close to true endgame but you'll be stuck doing early-100 raids for a while. The Strange Traveler's event that's going on now makes this a very good time to level a character, and by then you'll be ready for a good endgame-appropriate event to come along.

EDIT: Someone posted translated developer notes in another discord. Original page in Korean. First bit's about botters and how they work, and says that one measure that's being taken to frustrate botters is to turn normal battles into solo battles. The idea is that they're already tuned to be easy to beat solo, but botters work by running full parties to farm them more efficiently. Which I guess is a logical next step but what if you actually need help, like for real? Could be a problem for some of the tougher normal battles, especially ones that used to be raids.

Second bit is about this:

quote:

[64-bit Client Development Progress Note]

Development of the new client is still underway, and [we aim to deliver it to players in the first half of next year]. If there will be no unexpected technical hurdles during development, we'll be expecting no major disruptions to our schedule. There were many inquiries about the progress news, however, there were many uncertainties due to a number of issues presented, including [the need to replace the physics engine] for 64-bit to work. We're sorry.

We'll do our best to deliver it to you in no time.

Please refer to the future game notes,
We'll make sure to continue to strive to providing more pleasant environment.

Thank you.
rip to the Source engine?

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 15, 2020

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Oh what the heck they're moving away from source? Crazy if true.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
they're probably just updating to a build newer than mid-2010

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

https://twitter.com/slothybun/status/1317934714624225280

It's update day. More friendship junk. More freebies. And, finally, a Halloween event.

Update v2.69

quote:

[Patch Notes] v.2.69
First off, the fifth friendship level is here, "Destined." The usual bonuses apply when you get a merc to this level: They tire less and can remain in Power Stance longer during merc missions. Oh, and dual techs are finally here. There are five implemented so far:
  • Burning Flowers (Lann & Lynn)
  • Frozen Fist (Evie & Lethor)
  • Invincible (Karok & Delia)
  • Dragon Fury (Hurk & Miri)
  • Cosmic Beauty (Arisha & Eira)
Character Friendship skills have a two-hour cooldown, can only be used in raids, and can't be used if you're transformed. There's also mention of status effects that persist after using a skill, but it's not explained here. Oh well.

The second big addition: If you have a level 105 character on your account, all other characters who are below level 100 will get boosts. Characters from 1-99 will get 5 more AP at the end of each battle. Characters who are 80-99 get 30% more exp at the end of a battle on top of that. Also, to help people who aren't spending all of their Partholon points on old titles, there are tomes. These tomes let you complete blocks of sidequests so you don't have to run the same stupid maps over and over again. There are four tomes for season 1 and one tome each for Seasons 2 and 3. There's also a more general boost for everybody: In addition to holding down CTRL to go through dialogue faster, you can press Shift to skip entire blocks of dialogue.

The third big update: Pet skills work a bit differently now. They were pretty bad before but they've been tweaked somewhat to be less useless. The big thing here is that they're now usable in Season 3 battles and Masaka Smash, of S3 gear fame, is now a pet skill. Mmm, moussaka. The passive skills, like wider mining or item search ranges for pets and greater secondary weapon capacity, are also easier to get.

Finally, the last big change: Colhen is now decorated for Halloween.

Another dice game

quote:

Slice 'n' Dice Game Event

Event Period: October 20th - November 17th

For this year's Halloween, we've brought you a fun Dice game to enjoy and earn rewards as well! Clear Lv.95+ raids from the list below and join the slicin' and dicin' fun this season!
What it said. Run normal raids, get boxes (up to 5 per day). The boxes contain buff potions and one die. The board has a variety of rewards, some of which are good. Damascus Steel is the outstanding reward. Boxes containing New Era mats are also good. Fatigue potions are alright, I guess. AP capsules are good if you need AP. Durability Protection potions, graces, and merc pots are honestly kind of a joke. But hey, if you run a raid and get two fatigue potions then that was basically a free raid. It's worth it for that, right?

This Pumpkin's not so Great

quote:

How the Gremlins Boo'd the Pump Kin

Event Period: October 20th - November 17th

Happy Halloween! To celebrate this year's Halloween, the Strange Traveler's brought you a fun and special event! Growing your Pumpkin Pal to earn exclusive event rewards! But to grow them, you need Pumpkin Juices! Complete the hallowed adventure the Strange Traveler has for you by defeating the Halloween Pump Kin to take back precious Pumpkin Juices! And if the tiny gremlins get too freaked out, calm them down by tossing a Gremlin Globe their way! Enjoy!
Holy crap, it's something resembling a new event. Every day, each character that logs in will get an entry ticket to a special event dungeon. Go into the dungeon and throw balls at gremlins to calm them down. The more you pacify, the greater the rewards you'll get at the end. Then comes the pumpkin vampire boss or whatever. Throw a ball at him and then kick his rear end. The reward for doing this is Pumpkin Juice, which isn't juice from a pumpkin but a fertilizer for a pet pumpkin. You did notice you have a pumpkin pet on your screen now, right? Feed the juices to the pet to get rewards. Candy, dye ampoules, Seals of Bravery, an AP capsule, a Halloween emblem (your choice from a set of six), and an unstable enhance rune.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KifD9uUWj80

It's the Vindictus 10th Anniversary Event Hooray

quote:

Ten Years Old! Check-In Event

Event Period: October 27th - November 17th

Happy 10th Year Anniversary Vindictus Fans! Thank you for your continuous love and support for Vindictus for 10 years. And 10 more to come! To celebrate the happy and great milestone we've achieved together, we've brought a special event for you pouring you gifts for your awesome feat! Simply check-in 10 times throughout the event period to receive all the gifts we've prepared for you and enjoy the celebration with us! Once again, thank you Vindictus Fans and have a happy anniversary!

Log in every day for the next ten days to get rewards. Rewards include a title, 30 fatigue potions, 100 Damascus Steel, 3 Grade 2 Shards, a "B-day Stool" object (?) (!?!?), a rare gremlin pet, and an outfit box. This outfit box is the one people have been anticipating for months, the one that gives an outfit version of a character-specific armor set. The box can be passed around your account so don't panic if you accidentally collect it on a character you don't want to get an outfit for.

Another Hot Time will soon be up ons

quote:

10th Anniversary Special Hot Time Event

Event Period: October 27th - November 3rd

Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of Vindictus, we've brought back the Special Hot Time Event! Check out the details below to find out which Hot Time Perks are given during the period and don't miss the chance to earn free boosts! Happy 10th Anniversary Vindictus!
For the next week, everybody gets one additional departure per raid and double AP/EXP/Expertise gain. Well, it's double Expertise exp gain and double crafting speed, so maybe I should say it's quadruple Expertise gain?

People still do Niflheim and I'm not sure why

quote:

Niflheim One More Time Event

Event Period: November 3rd - 17th

Niflheim is back as an event! Challenge the bosses here if you've gotten slow and remember how you've lived to tell the tale once again! Receive the additional perks through this event and always, Zecallion awaits your challenge.
For the duration of the event, you get one extra departure per Niflheim raid, and sometimes you'll get key event fragments. I hope they mean the special fragments you turn in to get boxes that contain the best gems, for gold bracelets.

A fishing event is here for the first time in a while

quote:

Honey-Sweet Autumn Fishing Event

Event Period: October 27th - November 17th
Exchange Shop Period: October 27th - November 24th

The short season of Autumn is here and before it leaves again so quickly, we've prepared a fun fishing event for all our fans who just love to fish in the quiet calm out sea! Participate during the event period now to enjoy and win free rewards of your choice as well!
Go on a fishing boat, buy 50 rods each day for 25k gold and use them before the end of the event. Fishing will get you a Box of Rarities, a coupon piece (5 pieces to 1 coupon), or a Fishy Recovery Potion (literally just a reskinned basic merc pot). A Box of Rarities can contain any of the following: A Goibhniu's Stone, a permanent storage chest expansion ticket, a premium armor enhance rune, premium bath soap, a LUK buff scroll, or a 30-day Outfitter Pass. Also, graces and fat pots and more fishy merc pots. Fishy coupons will allow you to buy many of these things, but you need a shitload of coupons to get the good stuff. 40 Coupons for the Goib stone, outfitter pass, storage chest expansion ticket, or premium armor enhance rune and 30 coupons for the premium soap. You can also use coupons for the less-good stuff but lol if you want to. That junk is there if you don't have enough coupons for the stuff that's actually worth getting.

Not a bad set of events. There's a lot of shiny goodies for AFKers and active players alike.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 27, 2020

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Today came with a surprise announcement regarding character slots.

quote:

Regarding Free Character Slot Expansion

Greetings Mercenaries,

We’re happy to announce that starting this end of November 17th‘s maintenance, we have decided to bring free additional character slots to all your accounts which were originally from only 8, now to 26! However, this new approach will unfortunately bring discontinuation of Premium Character Slot sales. Please check below to find out more about this improvement, and we hope this new addition will bring more joy and ease for both existing and new Mercenaries joining Vindictus to be able to enjoy together.
No more will old-timers have to wonder if they'll need to pony up ten bucks every time a new character is released. Soon, every account gets twenty-eight character slots for free and Nexon will stop selling premium character slots. I wonder what led to this decision?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

ArchWizard posted:

Today came with a surprise announcement regarding character slots.

No more will old-timers have to wonder if they'll need to pony up ten bucks every time a new character is released. Soon, every account gets twenty-eight character slots for free and Nexon will stop selling premium character slots. I wonder what led to this decision?

more underpants sales, probably

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bakalakadaka posted:

more underpants sales, probably

Yeah probably. Not many people would spend on character slots in the first place but if you just have them there people are more likely to spend the few bucks on inners instead I guess.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Bad news from future_updates: This game sucks now.

quote:

[Battles Adjustments]

- Occasional flinches and knockdowns of RAID bosses will no longer occur;

[Dev Comment:] In the past, the battle play time was so long that flinches and knockdowns from the accumulation of long-standing damage were necessary. Now that the battle gameplay time is very fast, using counterattacks or suppressing skills mostly results in an enemy's failure to retaliate, so we have adjusted that part.

- Knockdowns and flinches caused by suppression skills and other skill will still occur.
"Bosses will no longer react to getting hit and are just walking bags of HP and dangerousness." Buddy, if I wanted to see a creature that's suffering but unable to express its pain in a meaningful way, I could just turn off my monitor.

quote:

- Adjusted the battle patterns for BOSS enemies of the following battles:
Several raid bosses will get their most irritating attacks toned down a notch. Notably, a bunch of unblockable attacks will be made blockable.

quote:

- Adjusted the number of areas in which battles take place in [Berbhe] area;
: Modified the number of areas needed to progress from 3 to 2 rooms;

- Adjusted the placements of [Luminaries] and [Named Bosses];
- Adjusted bonus targets for specific battles;
- Improved traps' difficulty, that are related to air movements in certain areas;
- Adjusted the number of normal enemies in a specific battle area;
- Adjusted the amount of gold reward to match the reduction of battle area;
- The above changes are applied to the following battle areas:
: [Berbhe Downtown];
: [Donegal];
: [Aidan Fortress];

- Adjusted the number of normal enemies and improved traps for the following battle areas:
: [Lochlann Plains]
Post-Ben Chenner S3 normal battles will be a lot quicker and easier to run. Not sure what they mean by improving trap difficulty, though. The gold reward nerf sucks, though I understand why they're doing it. Equipment durability is deducted every time you load a screen, so fewer screens means lower repair costs. I think?

Also, character changes:

quote:

[Common]

- Fixed an issue where guard skills couldn't endure damage when the character is caught by certain objects during the battle;
- Changed the SP costs for all characters' suppression skills, with the exception of Delia and Miri, to 750 SP;
: When [Delia] uses [Supernova], she will gain 250 SP when it succeeds in suppressing the enemy;
: For [Miri], changed the SP cost for [Active: Ancestral Garb] to 750.
Ult skills going down in SP cost is great, if for no other reason than because they're poo poo. 1000 SP for a hold skill you can expect to use exactly once per battle is a joke, and that's assuming random boss invincibility doesn't cause your character to simply waste the SP outright. I mean, it's still not a great situation, but it's something.

quote:

- Changed the following character's skills, with the exception of suppression skills, to be treated as dodge, rather than fully-invincible.
A bunch of characters have active skills that make you invincible to the point of being able to ignore unblockable attacks. They're removing that from non-ult skills because it's unfair. Now, what were true iframes are becoming regular iframes. Using an ult still make you immune to damage. In theory.

quote:

[Pact Skills]
- Replaced [Paladin]'s [Grace: Fatigue] and [Dark Knight]'s [Revelation: Fatigue] skills with [Grace: Strength] and [Revelation: Strength] respectively;
- [Grace: Strength] and [Revelation: Strength] increase [Additional Damage] stat value according to skill rank;
Fatigue is the skill that increases your SP gain while transformed. Shame to lose it, but Additional Damage is way better. Maybe it'll once again be worth it to save your trans for raids. The accompanying dev note points out that the big problem with Grace: Fatigue is that it's not a consistently good bonus. Some characters make great use of buckets of SP and some don't.

Now to quickly summarize character-specific changes:

Sword Lann, Kai, Vella, Teide Hurk: Faster and just generally better dodge skills
Sword Fiona: Stronger kick. Amaranth Kick got unnerfed, Ivy Sweep restores a little stamina if you manage to hit someone with it
Staff Evie: Mana Amber is faster to release, freezing raid bosses is less common
Arisha: I dunno, some bullshit about caps on MP gain. Essentially, the more MP you have, the less you'll gain from active skills like Resonance. This will, I assume, make the MP overflow trick harder to do.
Miri:

quote:

[Miri]
- Fixed an issue where enemy's attacks couldn't be avoided when using [Hot Streak] without pressing the directional button.
:wtc:
Belle: Now consumes stamina when charging her axe, which kind of sucks because that means it won't just a free run speed boost

There's quite a bit more to this pile of future updates but it's mostly minor bugfixes or minutiae or otherwise plain uninteresting. Some, like the Custom Battle addition, don't even make sense to me. Maybe they'll be better-explained when they get here.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Honestly as someone who mained sword Vella I'd be happy with the random flinch/knockdown removal if it had been done like 5 years ago lmao.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Kael is icumen in

quote:

A New Hero Is Coming...

Born of royal but now standing up for justice and equality...
Kael, the 17th hero, is coming to Vindictus this 17th, November 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s1lnjpZCAc

Watch his teaser trailer above and prepare for his way mercenaries!
Kael is coming out next week. There is, as far as I know, no pre-registration event for him. Or any events. Maybe there will be some events on the 17th.

This was announced yesterday but I didn't repost it because I didn't believe it at first. It seems really sudden since we only just got Lethor in late July.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

More news from #future_updates. A lot of what I described earlier has made it onto the KR servers, but there's also a surprise: Dullahan gear components will no longer be obtainable with Seals of Bravery and Astera mats will be subbed in. It'll be the end of an era. Better late than never, I guess, but the seal costs for level 100 components is going to be higher than for 95 mats.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3FZ3aLoDWg

The Kael Update has arrived

quote:

Kael Update

1. Kael: Character Intro
One Who Fights for Justice

Kael, born to a renowned family and following his duties as a knight of the royal guard, witnesses a sight that shatters his core beliefs from their very foundation.
Now questioning the privileged lifestyle of the nobility, he joins a commoners' resistance to fight for wellbeing of all.
However, a clash between the opposing forces leaves him with no choice but to find another way to mete out justice, and so he comes to Colhen.

Kael maximizes his weapon's length through both pointed stabs and wide-range slashes.
He can even inflict post-multi-hit wounds upon his enemies following key strikes.
Should he see success, he can then block oncoming attacks and follow up with a devastating counter.
His disciplined yet relentless assault through myriad multi-hit attacks and practiced parries makes him a balanced fighter no matter the challenge.
Alright, so Kael is a parry-based character. I have a Miri and I gotta say that doesn't fill me with confidence.

quote:

2. Kael: Exclusive Equipment

Divine Order and Divine Unrest

Kael's exclusive equipment are Divine Order and Divine Unrest.
Kael's Divine Order attire comes from his days as a knight in the royal guard.
While ornate in design, it still allows for intense movement and provides excellent defense.

Kael's Divine Unrest attire comes from his days in the resistance.
Though designed for quick mobility, its key feature is the mask that partially obscures his face.
I think this is the first time the game has bothered to explain anything about character-specific outfit designs.

quote:

3. Kael: Skill Characteristics
He's a spear guy. He stabs people. He can also interrupt his own attacks to block and counterattack, which is pretty good.

This is an official update, by the way

quote:

[Patch Notes] v.2.70
1. New Character: Kael

Added Kael, the 17th hero of Vindictus.
The new character, Kael, is a knight who uses a swordstaff.
Somehow they came up with a stupider name than swordspear. Somehow. They're craftable with the Weaponsmithing expertise, which isn't a surprise. However, note that if you want to sport the antifa look with his Divine Unrest outfit, you need Tailoring, not Armorsmithing.

quote:

2. New Comrade: Claire
Oh, a comrade whose presence makes plot sense, kind of. What doesn't make sense is paying out the nose for a comrade, so please don't do this.

quote:

3. New Battle: Ainle at Stake

Added a new battle, Ainle at Stake.
You can depart (solo) starting at Lv. 100 in the Red Moon's Energy region under Toward Taratha.
You can claim victory in this battle twice a day.
The existing Daily Bonus applies.

Battles Bathed in Red and Ainle at Stake, under the Red Moon's Energy region, will rotate each day.
Some dumb fucker thought it was a good idea to hold a severed monkey's paw while complaining about running Red Ship Graveyard so now we have this. It's a New Era materials dungeon that takes place in Ainle and you have to fight the Blood Prince or the Emperor. To add insult to injury, you don't even have a choice of what battle you can run because availability rotates.

quote:

4. Character Rankings Merge and Ranking Score
Character rankings have been massaged. Evie and Sylas got their magic mastery skills revoked and AP spent on them refunded.

quote:

5. Enhancement Stats and Enhancement Failure Bonus System
Weapons will give more Additional Damage at lower enhancement levels, up to +15. Equipment enhanced past +16 will also give less of a SPD bonus. Additional Damage and speed are two of the most important endgame stats, so this will make the power gap between rich and poor players less punishing.

quote:

Enhancement Failure Bonus System
  • Bonus stats will be applied in cases where you attempted and failed enhancement on an item that can be reforged.
  • Based on the number of enhancement failures, up to 60% of the stats that would have additionally increased from a successful enhancement will apply.
  • Bonus stats will be reset upon a successful enhancement.
When you try to enhance something and it blows up, you'll get a mild boost to its stats that lasts until the next time you successfully enhance that item. Which is nice, because it's really frustrating to spend weeks scraping together what you need to reforge and enhance a piece of gear, only to have it fail.

quote:

■ Material Synthesis
Changed the ATT Surplus's (formerly called ATT Limit Removal) increment per stage as below, when performing Material Synthesis.
Because they couldn't leave well enough alone, ATT Limit Removal is now called ATT Surplus. Now you get more of it from material synthesis than you did before.

quote:

■ Battle
There are a bunch of changes here. Mostly bugfixes. The first notable change is that 12-man raids really are that now. You can't start with only ten any more. Another big deal is that all level 100+ raid bosses, [S] dungeon bosses, Redeemer bosses, and 12-man raid bosses have 10% more HP. Don't know why, there's no explanation. In better news, equipment durability is now like Fatigue in that it's not deducted until you win a battle.

quote:

■ Accessory Enhancement
Changed the enhancement success rates for Lv. 85 and Lv. 90 accessories.
Changed success rates for +1 - +18 enhancement attempts to 100%.
Increased success rates for +19 and +20 enhancements.
:bisonyes:
This is a huge deal. Getting Counterforce is going to be way less agonizing now. It'll be far faster and cheaper to get that completely arbitrary stat up so you can overcome another completely arbitrary stat just to progress through the story. Which means you might actually be able to afford to increase your Power and Tech again.

More like Kael-abrate
Make a Kael, get a box. The box contains a title, a 30-day inner armor coupon, a permanent storage chest expansion ticket, and a wedding coat box. They're all bound to character so don't bother if you don't intend to keep a Kael.

Kael to the max
You make a Kael. You level him up to 105. You get a title. That's it.

The gathering dungeon is back, back again

quote:

Welcome Kael! Gathering Dungeon Event
Event Period: November 17th - December 15th
Log in with a level 70+ character to get an entrance ticket to the gathering dungeon. Gather lums, get essences, fight Vengeful Langro. It sure is nice of them to drop the dungeon immediately instead of waiting weeks like they did with Lethor. Here's the important thing to remember if you're gunning for a specific reward from the essence shop:

quote:

Drops Blue Gathering Essence on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday / Red Gathering Essence on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday / Both Blue & Red Gathering Essences on Sunday

Another prize wheel event

quote:

K-AP-OW! Prize Wheel Event
Complete all of your dailies to get spin tickets. Spin the prize wheel to get AP capsules, hence the name of the event. A good reward to go with a character release.

More steel, fewer problems

quote:

Lv. 100 Support On-Time Event V2
It's a lot like the last On-Time Event: Log in for an hour, get four Damascus Steels. Like the last batch, these steels only work on Astera or Dullahan gear. We're supposed to get 250 Steels per account this time around, which is pretty hefty. It would be great if that Seal Shop change got here before they expired.

Winterfes Raid Supply Event

quote:

Winterfes Raid Supply Event
Run normal raids, get Winterfes Supply Boxes (limit 28 per week). Open a box to get a coupon and a random item. Random items include Damascus Steel, godly or new era mats, a 100 AP capsule, or a fatigue potion. You can exchange coupons for a 15-day VVIP capsule (20 coupons, 1 per account), unstable enhance runes (12 coupons, 2 per account), Astera Weapon Essence Box (10 coupons, 2 per account), Legendary Weapon Ore box (6 coupons, 4 per account), Intermediate Element Stones (6 coupons, 3 per account), Damascus Steel (8 coupons for 2 Steels), or a "Hero's New Era Box" (5 coupons). The New Era box gives New Era Orbs, Leather, Cloth, and Stones.

The RAR and AA event is back

quote:

Finding the Abyssal Arena & Royal Army Treasures Event

Event Period: 11/17 - 12/15 (4 weeks)
Run 12-man raids or the Abyssal Arena to get treasure chests. The chests contain shards, godly mats, Seals of Bravery, or the "Box". The box just lets you choose better shards. This is always a good event since RAR and AA tend to have lousy shard drop rates while the event chests have very good rates.

Thanks for nothing

quote:

Thanksgiving Basket Case Event

Event Period: 11/17 - 12/08 (3 weeks)

Exchange Shop Period: 11/17 - 12/15 (4 weeks)
Talk to the Strange Traveler to get the gist of the event, which is that you have to obtain Stolen Party Baskets (limit 40 per week) from level 60+ normal battles or the material dungeons. Baskets can be used in the exchange shop to obtain Premium Bath Soap (25 baskets, 1 per account), a "Wobbling Ducky Hairpin" (25 baskets), a new title (25 baskets), a Seal Choice Box (20 baskets, 2 per character), empty dye ampoules (12 baskets), or Turkey that can be eaten in town (1 basket each, and you get two if you talk to the Strange Traveler). drat, I'm not sure I like them locking a title behind not raiding.

An event that helps new characters of all sorts

quote:

Raw Recruit Reward Event

Event Period: 11/17 - 12/15 (4 weeks)
Log in, get a care package. The package is usable by characters who are level 69 (nice) or lower. It's your typical nesting box, with a bunch of goodies and boxes that can be opened as you level up. The tiers are at 70, 80, 90, 95, 100, and 105. Note that there is exactly one reward limited to Kaels, so this is a good event for anybody who wants to make a new character or level up an old and neglected one.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 22, 2020

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Isn’t lethor also parry based?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Hy_C posted:

Isn’t lethor also parry based?
Lethor is block-based, like Fiona or Delia.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Wow, Kael only came out two days ago and we're already being teased with a new character in #future_updates (Source URL for the images in the original Korean)

After a momentary diversion, Nexon is going back to widening the gender gap even more. They're adding a new lady character with a rapier and a whole lot of Delia players are furious.

I don't know what full-scale battle means. I hope it's not a S2-style mega-dungeon.

Balor has a coterie of henchgods that he's currently sending after us. This new Redeemers boss is probably one of them.

"ur gacha munny funded the anime figurines"
They're kind of neat but something seems off about them. Mostly it's the faces. They look more like Genshin Impact characters than Vindi characters. Oh right, you shouldn't be giving these people money until they remove Fatigue. That's also a good reason not to buy the figurines.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Enough information has been released about the new character to justify a decent-sized post.

First is this teaser video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fjaqHnNQ4g
Like Lethor's first teaser video, it tells us almost nothing about how her character fights. Today they put a translation of this dev note in the official Discord to explain a few things.

quote:

Greetings, mercenaries!

Today, we'd like to introduce you to the 18th hero of the Mabinogi Heroes, Tessa.

Tessa is a female character, wielding [rapier] as the weapon of choice.

The [rapier] is a weapon with a long slender blade and a sharp tip. Normally, such a weapon is used for stabbing, rather than cutting, but the end of the handle of the rapier used by Tessa is fitted with the magic jewels, allowing her to perform a variety of powerful slashing attacks by using the power of magic as the catalyst.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/235218148800991233

quote:

<Tessa's special skill [Mark]>

Tessa utilizes the magical power of the [jewel stones] and her unmatched [rapier] skills to inscribe special [marks] on enemies. By successfully attacking the enemy with the slashing attacks, each hit will engrave a [mark] stroke. The [mark] becomes complete once Tessa delivers 4 successful attacks.

[Marks] can be enhanced using stabbing attacks. When the [mark] is activated by attacking with the core skill [Spinel Flash], it will deal additional damage, based on the number of strokes, before disappearing.

<Tessa's core skill [Spinel Flash]>

[Spinel Flash] is a skill that allows Tessa to attack and evade at the same time, by delivering a stabbing attack and quickly avoiding enemy attacks from the front. If the enemy is engraved with a [mark], it will activate and will deal damage before disappearing. [Enhanced marks] will deal slightly more damage.

By looking for the gap in enemy attacks, marking the enemy, then matching with the timing of the enemy attack to dodge, Tessa will be able to dominate the battlefield.
So far, Tessa's mechanics sound a bit like how Glaive Lynn and Swift Assassin work. The most obvious differences so far are that marks are easier to apply than Swift Assassin stacks and that detonating marks is safer and easier.

quote:

<Tessa's Active Skills>

Aside from special and core skills, Tessa has [active skills] that can be used depending on the situations during the battle.

[Active: Garnet Dash] is used when you want to quickly approach or move away from enemies by temporarily enhancing Tessa's physical abilities with the power of the stones' magic.
If you link [Garnet Dash] with the [Diamond Doublet] skill, the remaining [magic power] will immediately enhance the [rapier], allowing for more powerful attacks.

[Active: Diamond Doublet] is a skill, that empowers the [rapier] to allow performing powerful double-hit attacks. The successful hit will engrave 2 strokes of the [mark]. Also, if Tessa manages successfully deliver attacks up to the last hit, the enemy will be temporarily flinched.
People have speculated on how Vindi would make a rapier character interesting to play and the consensus was that she'd have to be highly mobile. The devs seem to have agreed.

quote:

[Active: Enstatite] is a powerful skill, that allows Tessa use all the [mana] she has to project a number of rapiers and send them at the enemy.
'Enstatite is a mineral; the magnesium endmember of the pyroxene silicate mineral series enstatite (MgSiO3) – ferrosilite (FeSiO3). The magnesium rich members of the solid solution series are common rock-forming minerals found in igneous and metamorphic rocks.'

I don't know what they were going for with that skill name.

quote:

We wish everyone to be safe and healthy, as the winter has already arrived.
Have a safe and healthy winter, together with Tessa.

Thank you.
Thanks for nothing. NA's not getting Tessa until spring at the earliest :colbert:

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Today they released a skill video and you can get a good look at Tessa doing the zorro thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saB_cXkL4NE

Something they didn't mention in the earlier write-up and barely show in this video is that Tessa has a "jem" gauge system. Some of her skills require jems to use and some skills remove the jem cost for other skills. I hit up the tessa channel in the official Discord and they say jems regenerate on their own and when you detonate marks.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLP6gqaXRJw

There was a big update today. Let's take the time to find out what's inside, away from all this wind and rain.

Patch 2.71 Notes

quote:

[Patch Notes] v.2.71

Major Contents Updated

1. Reverent Tower
2. Season 4 Episode 2 Extra Episode 2: Siete
3. Friendship System Improvements

quote:

■ Reverent Tower
[Battle Quest]
The Reverent Tower is solo content. Go in, fight enemies across thirty floors, get rewards. Fight bosses every five floors, get bigger rewards. If you bail out for any reason and re-enter, you start where you left off. The catches are that you're allowed exactly seven departures per week and your progress is reset at the end of the month, at the same time monthly temporal missions are reset. So, if you average roughly one floor per day, you're fine. There are two difficulty levels, Mundane and Merciless, and you have to finish the tower on Mundane before you can do Merciless. However, Merciless is very different in that it doesn't give item rewards, only exp, gold and AP, which you presumably don't need if you can clear it? :shrug:

quote:

■ Vindictus: Season 4 Episode 2 Extra 2 "The Pale Moon"
[Battle Quest]
This is the next normal raid. You have to fight a scary and sexy assassin lady named Siete. In addition to the usual 105 mats, she drops an essence for a new ring. She also drops a new r5 enchant, Raging, which is for Milletian totems, shields, and foci. The most important thing to know about Siete is that Karok's clash for her is hard as hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwa5eoEamAU

quote:

■ Friendship System Improvements
They've "improved" the friendship system by adding special dialogue for maxing closeness with a merc. Then you get the ability to use their dance. Maybe. You can't use a merc's dance if they have a different gender than you. For a game that makes you trans as part of the main quest, it sure is sexist :v:

Other minor changes:
  • Colhen is now decorated for Christmas
  • If you've finished the Ceara Interlude at least once, you can skip it on all other characters on your account
  • Joining a Ragnahim QB run requires less Technique, and Ragnahim drops a new scroll, Brutal, for Milletian weapons

Doth thou desire the tower?

quote:

Reverent Tower

We would like to share information about the new battle content, "Reverent Tower."

Reverent Tower is a place that awakened as its owner regained power being long dormant.
The tower appears in "Other Regions."
The Reverent Tower can be entered starting at Lv. 100. Battles are fought in one-on-one fashion.
In the tower, you can meet a new enemy on each floor.
When you defeat the enemy, you will climb up to the next floor. You can challenge up to 30F.

<Reverent Tower Interior>

When inside the Reverent Tower, if you end the battle after defeating an enemy and then depart for it again, you can continue the battle from the floor you defeated the enemy on.

In other words, when you depart, you can proceed with the battle starting from the highest floor currently reached.
However, when the departure period ends, enemies in the tower will be reborn anew. Therefore, you need to complete the challenge up to 30F within a single departure period.

The enemy's ATT is adjusted in the Reverent Tower. The higher the floor you reach, the more powerful the enemies you encounter.
You also get your stats adjusted with minimum-maximum damage applied. There are no separate means to restore HP,
so climbing many floors in a single try requires strategic decisions.

Glamours, boons that comes upon conquering floors, can aid you in battle.
You can select one of three available glamours.
You can see the image of the enemy appearing on the next floor and select the glamour.

You can reselect what glamour you want (or choose no glamour at all) by exciting and re-entering the most recently conquered floor.
However, the glamour is only applied in the following floor after the selection. When you go up to a different floor, you will have to select a new one.

Lastly, the flow of time is distorted in the tower, allowing you to accumulate a "Temporal Gauge" during battle. You can activate temporal powers through simple controls.
So the two things that make this different are glamours and the temporal gauge. Enter a floor, get a buff, beat the enemy to move on to the next floor, repeat. If you're struggling to pass a floor, you can choose from stronger glamours. The Temporal Gauge lets you turn on Bullet Time to make it easier to dodge.

Uno, Dos, Tres, Siete

quote:

Season 4: Episode 2 - Extra 2 | Siete

Under the Pale Moon: Siete

We would like to share information about the new raid, "Under the Pale Moon."

A mysterious assassin, "Siete," appears before the hero's party as they march to join the main forces.
Siete disappears after a surprise attack, bidding the hero's party to chase after her.
The nature of the attack and her reason for disappearing so suddenly can be learned through playing the main story and battling.
Like the Cesar and Nyle battles, you have to fight your way through some random jobbers before beginning the boss fight proper. Which is fine, gives you time to build SP and stacks and such. Siete has a sword and a chain sickle and she's designed to go easy on you at first. At the halfway point of the battle, she starts using her instakill attack. Her relatively unique gimmick seems to be shadow clones. She'll summon them and make them screw with you, but they're easy to recognize if you're not color-blind.

Another raid event

quote:

Twinkle Twinkle Raid Event

Event Period: 12/15 - 01/19
Exchange Shop Period: 12/15 - 01/26

Event Details

Obtain the Twinkle Twinkle Boxes and Raid Coupons through raid battles! Various additional rewards, such as the Mysterious Shard and the Abyssal Shard, await!
Run normal raids, get normal rewards. Every raid will drop a Twinkle Twinkle Box (max 1 per day) or a Twinkle Twinkle Coupon (max 4 per day). Each box contains 3 coupons and one of the following: A Mysterious/Abyssal Shard of either grade, a Premium Bath Soap, a Premium Videk's Safeguard, an Intermediate Element Stone, or AP capsules. Coupons can also be used to buy grade 1 shards (20 coupons each, 3 per shard per account), Intermediate Element Stones (15 coupons each, 3 per character), Astera Armor Essence Boxes (15 coupons each, 2 per character), Legendary Armor Ore Boxes (10 coupons each, 4 per character), Damascus Steel (8 coupons each, 5 per character), and the usual garbage.

Sprint event's back again

quote:

Sprint via Raids Event

Event Period: 12/15 - 01/19

Event Details:
* per-character event (Lv. 95 or higher).

1) Upon completing Lv. 95 - Lv. 100 raids, you get the [Sprint via Raids] boon. (For detailed information on eligible battles, refer to the table below.)
- Sprint via Raids boon has a total of 5 stages. 1 stack is added per each raid completion.
- Sprint boon is provided to all characters at Lv. 105 or below.
- Once the event starts, the Sprint boon will reset every day at 7AM UTC.
Do raids, get a stacking buff that lasts for the rest of the day. It's a good event for leveling or gearing alts because the stat boosts let them warm up on easy raids so they can join harder raids. Plus, you're doing those raids for the Twinkle Twinkle event anyway.

Gleaming some cubes

quote:

Red Moon's Strange Cube Event

Event Period: 12/15 - 01/05

Event Details

You can craft additional New Era materials through the cube you can get from the Red Moon's Energy region!
Run Red Ship Graveyard or Ainle at Stake to get New Era Cubes. Put a few New Era materials in and get a bunch more of the same type out. There have been similar events in the past for godly mats but this version sucks. See, the output of the cubes are all bound to character, so you can't sell them. If you're farming Red Moon regions for New Era mats to sell, using the cubes is counterproductive. The good news is that you won't necessarily get a cube. Sometimes you'll get unstable runes, which are very useful to hoard whether or not you can make use of New Era mats.

Paws Over Pointsettias

quote:

Paws Over Poinsettias Event

Event Period: 12/15 - 01/05
Exchange Shop Period: 12/15 - 01/12
Run normal battles, level 30+ and encounter the Beary Cute Santa. Scare dat bear to get ornaments (max 5 per day) and cookies from it. You can exchange ornaments for goodies. The notable rewards are an alpaca backpack (55 ornaments) and a new title, "Christmas Ornamentalist" (20 ornaments). The good news is that for the purposes of this event, Red Moon battles count as normal so the bear can appear there. This goes well with the cube event.

Hot & Cold Time

quote:

Winter Special Golden Time/Hot Time

Event Period: Weekend and holidays during 12/15 - 02/16 (9 weeks)

Event Details

The Golden Time & Hot Time events, which will shower various rewards throughout the winter, are back! Log in during the event period and get unprecedented level of rewards!
There are a variety of buffs going on weekends and holidays. Double combat exp, double AP, double expertise exp gain, double expertise crafting speed, extra drops, and extra departures. Also, unlimited free grace time on Christmas and New Year's. On top of that, goodies will be given away on weekends. Runes, random essence boxes, shard boxes, an epaulet that lasts for four weeks, a permanent storage chest expansion ticket, permanent hair and inner coupons, and a 15-day VVIP capsule.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 16, 2020

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hi vindictus thread,

I made a lethor and kael but sadly I can't afford to gear them for current raids so life is unfair.

The Christmas event is p avg compared to the gremlin races but it's OK. I'm just farming the ornaments and free steel. I feel like I've run out of stuff to do for actual character progress beyond reforging armor.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Alder posted:

Hi vindictus thread,

I made a lethor and kael but sadly I can't afford to gear them for current raids so life is unfair.

The Christmas event is p avg compared to the gremlin races but it's OK. I'm just farming the ornaments and free steel. I feel like I've run out of stuff to do for actual character progress beyond reforging armor.
In addition to reforging, have you been doing Material Synthesis to make the components of your gear better? Have you been doing Power Infusion to get extra stats? Enhancing your freebie accessories to +18 or higher for that extra bit of Counterforce? These all contribute to your capabilities in battle and the little numbers add up. As for helpful activities:

Farm Redeemers: Actually fair to weaker players since the stat requirements are low, there's no penalty for failing to do meaningful damage, and the rewards are more reliably, uh, rewarding. At the very least, make sure your characters have each beaten Neam four times and Balor and Brigid once each for the stat bonuses.
RAR: Rewards aren't often good, but when they're good they're very good. But hey, it literally costs nothing to run. No Fatigue, no equipment durability, and you don't even need to heal yourself because there's no shortage of people who will revive you for easy seals. The titles for beating the same boss five times give okay stat boosts.
Abyssal Arena: Like RAR, it's a source of titles and occasionally valuable drops. Long, boring, costs too much Fatigue.
Farm S3: Run current and former raids to get essences and shards and chunks to break down into fragments for material synthesis. Run normal battles to get godly mats for material synthesis.
Farm Ein Lacher: Not terribly rewarding, but it's good practice and the stat gains from the titles add up. The bosses scale to you and it's solo so you don't need to wait for parties to form.
Red Moon: Also long and tedious and costly in terms of Fatigue, but the New Era mats are reliably valuable. It won't make you stronger but it'll make you a little bit richer. Plus, it's another activity you can engage in when you don't feel like being social.
Farm PvP: Artifacts are good and judicious use of them in battle can make you much stronger. They can also be Infused with stats, which is often overlooked.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Maintenance happened last night and they finally started an event that was announced two weeks ago.

The New Year's event is here

quote:

New Year New You Event

Event Period: 12/29 - 01/19
Exchange Shop Period: 12/29 - 01/26

Event Details

In celebration of the new year, the New Year New You Event will be running. Complete daily missions and get the Beokros Uggo Boots!

* Per-character event
1) Upon completing daily missions, you will obtain [2021 Happy New Year Coupon] x1.
- The expiration for [2021 Happy New Year Coupon] is until [1/26/2021 7AM UTC]
- You can obtain up to 1 [2021 Happy New Year Coupon] a day

2) Use the [2021 Happy New Year Coupon] to exchange it for various items from the Exchange Shop, including the Beokros Uggo Boots (outfit)!
Complete your daily missions to get coupons. Exchange the coupons for things. The headline reward is cosmetic boots (13 coupons). You can also buy a new title (4 coupons), dye ampoules and extractors (3 coupons each, 3 each per character), and then some consumable junk. If all you care about is titles, it's not too bad an event.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Thought I'd try Vindictus again cause the combat was fun once upon a time and turns out it's gone from two characters with a third coming to oh god oh gently caress who do I choose. :v: Sylas seems fun so far but so do a bunch of them. Definitely drawn to high mobility flashy characters or generally higher skill ceiling stuff but just from playing Sylas so far it seems like he at least has two good attacks that I'll probably be spamming in 'real' content.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXw8CRapg7k

There was an update last night.

2.72 Patch Notes

quote:

v.2.72 Patch Notes

Major Contents Updated

Mag Mell Arena

Kael’s 2nd and 3rd Bonding Events

Vindictus Notification, Account Mail, and Friends Updates

First up is a new PvP system, Mag Mell. Do you remember that old PvP mode, Monster Brawl? The one where you could summon bosses to fight for you like Pokémon? Well, this isn't that. In Mag Mell, you are the bosses. Six to eight players split into two groups and each player chooses a boss to play. Then you go out of the safe zone and fight other players. There's a safe zone and there are lanes and it's basically a stripped-down MOBA. They put a MOBA in an MMORPG. The rewards are admittedly decent: You can use the Exchange Shop to turn in seals to get Damascus Steels and Mysterious/Abyssal Shards. Shards especially can be a real pain in the rear end to get through normal means. And you get seals whether you win or lose your match. You only lose seals if you gently caress around or go AFK. And since you're playing as bosses, gear shouldn't matter and matches should actually be fair.

quote:

2. Bonding Events Update (Kael)

The Ally > Close Ally bonding event for Kael has been implemented.
You can earn the “Close Ally” rank with Kael.
Learn more about Kael through his new rank Ally event!
His rank Close Ally event is planned to be implemented in a future update.
New dialogue related to your bond with Kael has been implemented.
Upon earning rank Ally or Close Ally, Kael will become less fatigued and his Power Stance duration will last longer.
Rank Ally and Close Ally achievements have also been implemented.
Apparently it wasn't possible to max out friendship with Kael until now. I never noticed because I don't like the friendship system. None of my characters are even at level 2 friendship with Kael.

quote:

3. Notification, Friends Menu, and Mail System
There's a lot of poo poo that goes on in Vindictus. You can have AP to spend, get mail, have Partholon Vanguard rewards to receive, time-limited items to use before they expire, and so on and forth. There's now one window that will inform you when there's anything going on. It will also sometimes tell you, erroneously, that there is something going on even when there isn't. Today it told me I had enough TP to level a path skill even though I didn't. gently caress you, Notifications.

Mag Mell information

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ-9voTy7hs

Mag Mell Arena Update

Welcome to a Battlefield Housed in a Forgotten Realm...

This is the otherworld that disappeared from the memories of all, Mag Mell.
Right now, an arena is taking place in Mag Mell.
This is where the lore behind the arena has been dumped, in case you decide not to read it in-game. I'd summarize it but it's pointless. The more interesting lore is what Irish mythology really says about Mag Mell, which is that it was a place west of Ireland where you could go to hang out with deities and fight for fun, basically a Celtic Valhalla. That sounds way cooler than what we're getting.

You drat milletials and your participation trophies

quote:

Mag Mell Arena Participation Event

Event Period: January 19th - February 16th, 2021

Participate in the new Mag Mell Arena and get rewards! This is a limited event that runs for only 4 weeks.
Play Mag Mell five times to get a title, Play Mag Mell ten times to get an emblem. I love cheevos, but I hate PvP. Is this how Cú Chulainn felt when he had to decide between violating his geas against eating dog and violating the geas against refusing hospitality in the form of an offer of dog meat? No, it's not. But I still don't like it.

Another friendship event

quote:

Bonds of Friendship Event

Event Period: January 19th - February 2nd, 2021

By completing the Event: Bonds of Friendship story from the Strange Traveler every day, you can get 1 Friendship Gift Destiny Box and an additional item!
Talk to the Strange Traveler. Then do a merc mission or two, whatever it takes to get 2 Friendship Seals. Talk to the Strange Traveler again to get a reward. In addition to a Friendship Gift Destiny Box, you can also get more Friendship Seals, Fatigue Potions, Suspicious Potions, Mouthwatering Pies (?), or a second Gift Destiny Box. It's not a bad event, I guess, since you're guaranteed to get something worth at least 25k gold from it. Not that it can be turned into gold; it just saves you from having to buy a gift from Captain Crimson.

Another raiding event to keep things going

quote:

Raid? Raid! Event

Exchange Shop Period: January 19th - February 23rd, 2021

Clear Lv. 95+ raids to get all kinds of rewards, like Rank 6 Enchants!
Run normal raids to get coupons (max 4 per day). Exchange coupons in the exchange shop to get 100% R6 scrolls (45 coupons, 1 per account), a box that gives a random shard for 105 gear (25 coupons, 2 per account), a safeguards for power infusion (11 coupons, 2 per account for the Premiums and 8 coupons, 3 per account for normals), Intermediate Element Stones (8 coupons each, 2 per character), and finally, Graces and Superior HP Potions.

This would be a good event if it weren't so stingy. Only one scroll? Really? And two succession shards? I'm guessing the coupons are untradeable, so you have to do all that work on one character. Hope you got VVIP or a pile of fatigue potions ready.

Jump to the head of the crash

quote:

New Year's Crash Course

Take a crash course from the Strange Traveler in Colhen and zip through the main story episodes! Get all kinds of rewards to help you level up at the end!
Jump is back, baby. If your account has a character who's at least level 100, you can bring a level 1 alt to the Strange Traveler to fast-forward through Season 1. The character you boost also gets unique titles. The catch is that you have to pass a ten-question quiz proving you know what was actually going on in Season 1.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0LAs7X5ybE

Maintenance happened last night. No big changes, but we have a couple of new events.

The obligatory Valentine event is upon us

quote:

Pit-a-Pat Valentine Event

Event Period: February 2nd - February 23rd, 2021

Exchange Shop Period: February 2nd - March 2nd, 2021

An event will run to celebrate Valentine's Day! Clear Daily Missions and Guild Missions to get the Heart Glasses (Outfit) overflowing with love!
Clear your daily missions to get a coupon. Clear your daily guild missions (not really, don't do this) to get a second coupon. That's a total of 14 coupons per week, times three weeks, for a grand total of 42 coupons if you work hard and 21 if you don't. What can you get with your coupons? Heart Glasses (12 coupons), a new title (5 coupons), a new emblem (4 coupons), Sweet Chocolate (3 coupons each, 5 per character), 10AP capsules, and the usual gang of consumables. The collectables are nice but you'll require some diligence to get just the title and emblem, to say nothing of the glasses. The Sweet Chocolate is also good: It's a dock buff item so it'll make you popular. However, it's a repeat item from a past Valentine event so it doesn't grant Counterforce like newer dock buff event foods.

MMOs are like a dungeon. A dungeon with no walls. And no toilet.

quote:

Special Dungeon Event

Event Period: February 2nd - February 16th, 2021

Here's your opportunity to get a Gold Bracelet simply by clearing a Special Dungeon! Don't miss this event!
Clear [S] battles to get Special Dungeon Event Boxes (3 max per day). Open the boxes to get rewards. You, plural, can get gold bracelets, silver bracelets, Damascus Steel (binding), dye ampoules and ampoule extractors, 50AP capsules, and various junk items like... Life Erg Crystals? Really?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

We finally have a decent amount of information about the fourth Redeemer battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlbP8-I2184

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj5G2Lsep-I
She's a kitty.

Here's the translation of the dev notes:

quote:

Hey there, Mabinogi Heroes players!
Today we're going to briefly intoduce you to the [4th Redeemers].

[Laura, the Goddess of Rapture]

The BOSS enemy of the 4th Redeemers battle is [the goddess of rapture, Laura].

In the midst of a massive civil war between humans, [Eweca's legions] begin their invasion on [Erinn]. In order to prevent that, the hero's party heads to the place, from where the invasion originated. There they come face to face with Laura.

Laura, [the first of Eweca's legions] to descend on [Erinn], attempts to prevent the group from interfering with the invasion. Heroes must hurry to defeat Laura and stop the Eweca legions from invading any further and prevent the descent of [the god of destruction, Balor].

[Laura and a Giant Scythe]

Laura appears before the heroes, summoning the [giant scythe] she wields effortlessly thoughout the battle. As she moves by floating, her attacks aren't bound by footwork and can sometimes generate powerful shockwaves. Heroes must be quick on their feet and not slow down for even a second, if they wish to survive her relentless onslaught.

Laura's scythe isn't limited to its form and [can shapeshift]. She can make the scythe's blade level with the handle, performing [spear-like] attacks, extending her attack reach. Heroes attacking from the distance aren't safe either, as Laura can transform her scythe into a [bow] and fire magic orbs, so heroes mustn't stay too far away from her.

[Laura's Incarnation, the Tree of Life]

Being the goddess symbolizing the life and creation, [Laura] awakens her incarnation, the [Tree of Life], to join the battle. From the moment the [Tree of Life] awakens from its deep slumber, the true battle begins.

The [Tree of Life] intimidates the heroes by delivering [area of effect attacks] with its 4 [stems], or by using its life energy to [fire off lasers]. However, the tree's actions are limited to [Laura]'s commands, so heroes are able to notice when the tree will act just by observing [Laura's actions].

[The 2nd and Final Phases of Battle]

In the midst of the battle, [Laura] presents heroes with a new form of challenge.

Firstly, she begins to mark places where the attack is going to proceed. If heroes won't escape out of the dangerous area in time, they will be targeted for an attack in a few minutes.

In the second half of the battle, Laura orders the [Tree of Life] to attack, as she begins to gather power.

The tree begins throwing something at the heroes. If heroes get hit by that attack, they will suffer grave damage.
As a finishing move of her attack, [Laura] drops the [energy beads], containing her condensed power, to the center of the map. The way to avoid this attack won't be as difficult to notice through gameplay.
So far she sounds a little bit like Macha, a little bit like Neam, and a little bit like Lugh. Those are all frustrating bosses to fight so I imagine this boss will be really frustrating to fight. Cool, great.

Some other Redeemer news came along with this announcement:

quote:

- Modified the [Redeemers] battle completion percentage gain, that allow you to achieve permanent stat bonuses:
: [Dark Side of the Moon] - 25% per completed battle;
: [Tempering the Sword] - 2% per completed battle.

- Modified the [Rookie Redeemers] status effect for players that haven't cleared the [Redeemers] battle more than 5 times:
: [Dark Side of the Moon] - 8 free revivals;
: [Tempering the Sword] - 3 free revivals.
Eventually you'll get the same number of free revives in Balor as you do in Neam. You'll also be able to get all of the permanent stat gains from four Balor wins, just like you do with Neam. That actually is cool and great.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX3uCuFKlqw

There was another update last night.

quote:

v.2.73 Patch Notes

Major Content Table of Contents

Friendship Skill Update (Kai & Vella)
Mood Contents

First up: Kai and Vella's friendship skill can now be obtained. Unless it can't:

quote:

Regarding the Friendship Skill Update (Kai & Vella) Issue

Dear Mercenaries,

There have been unknown issue found after the v2.73 update as below. We are currently going through the issue and will get to you with the update. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Some accounts having problem on obtaining Kai&Vella Friendship Skill

Thank you for your kind patience and understanding in advance.
Second change on the list is the addition of "Mood Missions." They're missions that randomly pop up in the form of an emoji looming over your character. Press F1 to see missions that you can complete in exchange for a two-hour buff and "Mood Seals," which can be exchanged for emotes. Because it's high time they added more emotes that don't cost loads of money.

Momma's gonna put all of her loot into you

quote:

My Wish to the Mother of All

Event Period: February 16th, 2021 - March 16th, 2021

Complete Lv. 95+ raid battles and earn Blessed Shards to complete the goddess statue! She'll be sure to bless you with rewards along the way!
It's a "feed the pet" event and the pet is once again a goddess statue. Run normal raids (Dullahan to Siete) to get shards (limit 40 per week) to put into said statue to get rewards. Notable reward include dye ampoules, unstable runes, goib stones, and a new title: "Wish Maker". The final repeatable blessing is called the Goddess's Blessing and it's just a box that gives a random reward. In addition to more unstable runes, you can also get +11 Ferghus stones (there are level 100 and level 105 versions), Damascus Steel, Godly Mats boxes, and Perpetual Enchant Coupons.

The Hero's Pass is back

quote:

Homeward Hero Pass Event

Complete the Hero Pass missions assigned every day, and get various rewards!
Any character that's level 60 or higher can complete missions to earn Hero Pass exp to get rewards. If you spend 15k NX you get even better rewards. There are three problems with the Hero Pass:
1. The daily missions don't overlap with your normal daily missions, so it's potentially extra work
2. If you don't spend money, the rewards are almost all dog poo poo
3. If you do spend money, the rewards aren't worth the price alone, not to mention the trouble you have to go through to earn exp

Thankfully, there is an event here that isn't totally bad

quote:

Half & Half Prize Wheel Event

Clear Lv. 95+ raids to claim rank 6 enchants and more!
Run normal raids, like you would for the goddess statue shards, to get spin tickets (limit 4 per day). Spin the wheel to get things. The things are actually not too shabby:
  • C-tier: 1 fatigue potion or a <100 AP capsule
  • B-tier: 3-pack of fatigue potions or a 100-300 AP capsule
  • A-tier: 10-pack or 15-pack of fatigue potions or a 1000-2000 AP capsule
  • S-tier: 30-pack of fatigue potions or a 3000-5000 AP capsule
There's a slight problem with the event page: It says you can spin to get things like r6 enchants. There are, as far as I know, no r6 enchants on the wheel. I don't know why the event page says this.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

A new event is here and it's decent.

Time for free time box time

quote:

Happy Temporal Box Event

Event Period: March 2nd, 2021 - March 16th, 2021

Earn all kinds of amazing rewards just by logging in while this event is active!
Log in for a few hours. Every thirty minutes, you get a box. You can get up to five boxes per account per day. It's free stuff, aside from the opportunity cost incurred from having to leave the client running for a few hours while you could be playing another, more generous game. Speaking of "generous": The rewards from the boxes are randomly selected from a pool. The good rewards are VVIP (either 3 or 7 days) and element stones and safeguards for power infusion. The okay rewards are godly mats and luck stones. The not-at-all good reward is a single server megaphone. The choice of rewards is a bit odd. I don't know what they're going for, but at least VVIP is a great thing to have in the pool. Unless you never get it, in which case it's frustrating.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thanks for the event updates. I always find the official NX event descriptions to be confusing and/or wrong.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPeSpy6V3d0

Maintenance happened last night and now there's a new event.

It's Pat

quote:

Happy St. Patrick's Day Event

Event Period: March 9th 2021 - March 23rd 2021

Exchange Shop Period: March 9th 2021 - March 30th 2021

We are giving various rewards to celebrate St. Patrick's Day!
There are three parts to this event. The first part is that every character that logs in during the event gets an outfit that expires fourteen days after you take it out of its box. It makes you look like a leprechaun. The only good thing to say about the outfit is that the coat and pants each grant +1 BAL, which is actually decent and considerate.

The second part of the event has to do with Clover Tickets. Every day, each character who logs in will get two tickets in the mail. You can also earn two more tickets every day by doing all of your dailies. Clover Tickets can be exchanged for goodies. Green dye ampoules (12 coupons each, 3 per character), a new title (12 coupons, one per character), a 2-week epaulet (8 coupons each, 1 per character), and Clover Juice (1 coupon each). The epaulet's good because it grants LUK and BAL. The Clover Juice is a reskinned party merc pot, which is also quite good for a leftovers reward.

The last part of the event is that you can now buy green hair and skin colors from the shop. You may have a free permanent hair or appearance alteration coupon banging around your NX tab since both have been given out recently. You can also get green hair for a week if you buy an Unlimited Hair Pass from the AP shop. You know, if you have AP to spare.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

A bit of news from future_updates. Or should I say... a 64-bit of news? :smugwizard:

quote:

[64-bit Client Support]

- Added the option of executing the 64-bit client on TEST servers;
: The client will allow using more than 4 GB of physical RAM memory and up to 192 GB of virtual memory;
: The physics engine has been replaced with [PhysX];
: Libraries related to screen capture, sound and other functions, have been replaced with their 64-bit versions;
: This TEST-server will be acting as the base for tests, related to 64-bit functionality.

- The content of this TEST server is dated from the patch of February 5th.
- Testers will be playing on the TEST server with the character data on each ID dated from February 18th.

<Confirmed Issues>

- Abnormal animations when particular enemies die;
- Abnormal rotation of suspended objects;
- Abnormal collisions of objects with physics collision such as walls, columns, doors, etc. enabled;
- Client crashes when a certain number of enemies is hit or killed at the same time.

[Dev Comment:] This 64-bit client test is aimed for testing the behavior of the client. After testing period, we will correct, stabilize and mitigate issues. After months of additional testing, an update will be applied to the KR-LIVE server.
Hell yeah, abnormal death animations. Gonna rock to have those back again. Also, wow, they really did drop the Source engine. I don't know how the Valve Corporation is going to live this one down.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I’d wish they would just let you skip the first 3 seasons. Everytime I think of coming back and playing a new character I remember the slog. Also fatigue.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Hy_C posted:

I’d wish they would just let you skip the first 3 seasons. Everytime I think of coming back and playing a new character I remember the slog. Also fatigue.
A while ago they added quest tomes that allow you to instantly complete all sidequests. Also, we just had an event that let you skip the first two seasons on a new character and go right to level 80. The free 95 gear they give you doesn't let you get all the way through Astera, which is the end of season 3. It barely lets you participate in Season 4 raids. Maybe they'll let people skip S1-3 when the freebies creep up in value.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

ArchWizard posted:

A while ago they added quest tomes that allow you to instantly complete all sidequests. Also, we just had an event that let you skip the first two seasons on a new character and go right to level 80. The free 95 gear they give you doesn't let you get all the way through Astera, which is the end of season 3. It barely lets you participate in Season 4 raids. Maybe they'll let people skip S1-3 when the freebies creep up in value.

Does the sidequest tome give you all the rewards too? Also not surprised I missed another level up event. :v:

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Hy_C posted:

Does the sidequest tome give you all the rewards too? Also not surprised I missed another level up event. :v:
Tomes grant experience and title rewards but not gold or items. Also, the tomes have level requirements, starting at 60 for the S1 tomes. But that's okay: Since you missed the jump event, you can earn the Partholon Vanguard points you need to buy the tomes while you're leveling up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Hot drat they really dropped the Source engine? Also the game only used 4gb of ram before??? Wonder if this means it'll run a lot better for me now. :thunk: