Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Since we just had the shonen tournament arc we might instead of the fighting be focus'd on the cast escaping apocalypse with an occasional glimpse into the divine destruction happening in the background. And once chapter one is over they'll likely be away from the fighting and we'll have all book 5 to figure out how they're going to proceed.

They can't proceed by fighting without continuing the cycle of violence, and I doubt they can win that way anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

wiegieman posted:

Bottom did the murder to get key #1. The rest of them were all her - remember, they had to fight all the other princes and take their power.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm not going to fix it.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
https://twitter.com/DonnieDrakoEU/status/1317145623171375105

This is cute and while it's only a 3D, there's probably a huge market for K6BD figurines.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PMush Perfect posted:

Anything can be killed in a single definitive blow if you’re a furious enough dumbass.

Well that's how She-Ra did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Q3QROgGlU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Roland Jones posted:

As funny as that is, Jadis joined in on dunking on him with her, "stolen throne, wicked ways," accusation at their last meeting, so unless she was just poo poo-stirring Incubus did do something notably different/worse than the others.

I love that Jadis was unable to do more than hiss at Solomon that Rayuba was about to get nuked but when Incubus shows up she’s so disgusted she can form actual words

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Given the direction the story is going I'm not sure if it's really heading for a "who is gonna beat which demiurge" situation, but I think Incubus would be good at fighting Gog. He can go inside people's heads, after all, so maybe he could just kill the Gog consciousness directly, rather than killing the worm-bodies.

I thought the deal with Incubus was that the Yellow Army were one of the winning factions of the war, but Maya stepped down and left Incubus to take the key rather than take it for herself? It's his position as leader of the army and the possession of the key that the others mock him for, because he didn't earn either of them by conquest.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

We are pretty certain he got her key. That much is clear.

The circumstances are still vague. Personally I think she left the key and fled because she thought Incubus would kill her, and had stewed in hatred for him ever since. She denied him his victory and so he thinks that’s why he’s unfulfilled, because Incubus is utterly driven by a need to win.

They never fought, because only one of them would be alive. And Incubus would have fought. Ergo, Maya fled.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm still down with my hypothesis that the other demiurges mock him and not Mottom for being "dishonorable" because they know it'll get under his skin but not hers.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tulip posted:

I'm still down with my hypothesis that the other demiurges mock him and not Mottom for being "dishonorable" because they know it'll get under his skin but not hers.

Mottom stabbed her husband with her own two hands. She earned that key fair and square.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Tulip posted:

Honestly this seems like the read. Or he stole a spot in the Pact because Maya left and they needed a seventh, or something. Something petty and not actually indicative of relative power/fitness to rule, except in the minds of people like Solomon David and Mottom and so on.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Joe Slowboat posted:

We are pretty certain he got her key. That much is clear.

The circumstances are still vague. Personally I think she left the key and fled because she thought Incubus would kill her, and had stewed in hatred for him ever since. She denied him his victory and so he thinks that’s why he’s unfulfilled, because Incubus is utterly driven by a need to win.

They never fought, because only one of them would be alive. And Incubus would have fought. Ergo, Maya fled.

I really doubt it's because Maya was a afraid of Incubus, like your wording is implying. She realized being a demiurge was an empty life, and she should've listened to her teacher so many years ago.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

skaianDestiny posted:

I really doubt it's because Maya was a afraid of Incubus, like your wording is implying. She realized being a demiurge was an empty life, and she should've listened to her teacher so many years ago.

Yeah, I also think the implication is like "she made it to the top and gave it up" rather than "she made it to the top, refused to fight and gave it up." but either explanation could still end up being the right one

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

She has been stewing on murdering him for the entire age of the Seven. She has dwelt on how she should have killed him, or died trying, long ago.

She may not have been afraid but Maya did not think she would win the fight against the man who killed her master, Meti the Sword Saint, and fed her body to the dogs.

Incubus is the student who learned from Meti only how to kill good and strike first, but he clearly learned how to kill good and to strike first.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Joe Slowboat posted:

She has been stewing on murdering him for the entire age of the Seven. She has dwelt on how she should have killed him, or died trying, long ago.

She may not have been afraid but Maya did not think she would win the fight against the man who killed her master, Meti the Sword Saint, and fed her body to the dogs.

Incubus is the student who learned from Meti only how to kill good and strike first, but he clearly learned how to kill good and to strike first.

I'm pretty sure it's less because Incubus is more skilled/powerful and more Maya for whatever reason couldn't bring up the resolve or will to. I find it more likely that she left her key behind, and then realized how bad it was that Incubus got it. Just like the other demiurges, Maya was stuck in a rut of self-loathing and stagnation. It was only when Allison came that she finally started acting.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I think trying to figure out who beats who in this comic is missing the point a bit. Physically, a bunch of these fights come down to who gets the drop on who. Even then, the end of the previous book was a display of overwhelming force of violence being no prediction of any actual, meaningful victory.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

skaianDestiny posted:

I'm pretty sure it's less because Incubus is more skilled/powerful and more Maya for whatever reason couldn't bring up the resolve or will to. I find it more likely that she left her key behind, and then realized how bad it was that Incubus got it. Just like the other demiurges, Maya was stuck in a rut of self-loathing and stagnation. It was only when Allison came that she finally started acting.

I think this thread and fandom tends to hype Maya up in terms of power level because she’s very cool, when she herself said that her enemy has only grown more powerful and she should have died fighting him long ago. Downplaying Incubus makes her loathing for him, her centuries of waiting, much less intense.

“God will never forgive me the hate I feel for that man.[...] He killed my master, and threw her body to the dogs.”

Incubus killed Meti, he must be a truly terrible swordsman.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Joe Slowboat posted:

“God will never forgive me the hate I feel for that man.[...] He killed my master, and threw her body to the dogs.”

We also don't know if he beat Meti in a true fight or if Meti just let it happen to make a point to Maya.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
is Meti hanging out in anybody's mindspace talkin poo poo like Zoss does for Allison? I'm assuming she doesn't care she's dead either.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Pyrus Malus posted:

is Meti hanging out in anybody's mindspace talkin poo poo like Zoss does for Allison? I'm assuming she doesn't care she's dead either.

She probably could but also doesn't bother hanging around.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

skaianDestiny posted:

She probably could but also doesn't bother hanging around.

royalty imo

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Incubus doesn't get much respect from the other Demiurges but the rest of the text of the comic suggests that he's really good at killing people.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think this thread and fandom tends to hype Maya up in terms of power level because she’s very cool, when she herself said that her enemy has only grown more powerful and she should have died fighting him long ago. Downplaying Incubus makes her loathing for him, her centuries of waiting, much less intense.

The othe Demiurges saying Incubus doesn't deserve his position are all referring to Maya. Incubus himself tried to justify himself to Jaggs by calling her an old drunk has-been.

There's really no reason for him to mention that and for the others to behave that way except that the "normal" way to do things would have ended up with one of them dead. Why Maya isn't trying to kill him isn't clear, but why would Incubus refuse to cut if he really thinks its no big deal? Sentiment?

She mentioned the universal war in that same monologue about hating Incubus. Not wanting another apocalypse because he is after all part of the pact would seem like a pretty good reason to someone who's learned Meti's true lesson.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Joe Slowboat posted:

I mean, she also one shot an angel shell and is a former demiurge, she's strong enough to be in the "power levels are bullshit" tier of power level so

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Algid posted:

The othe Demiurges saying Incubus doesn't deserve his position are all referring to Maya. Incubus himself tried to justify himself to Jaggs by calling her an old drunk has-been.

There's really no reason for him to mention that and for the others to behave that way except that the "normal" way to do things would have ended up with one of them dead. Why Maya isn't trying to kill him isn't clear, but why would Incubus refuse to cut if he really thinks its no big deal? Sentiment?

yeah it may just be me reading into things that aren't clear, but I always thought part of his perceived inadequacy is because others think "if he could kill her, he would've by now." like he's not a REAL legit demiurge because there's someone potentially stronger than him that refuses to fight him and no longer cares for the crown

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I also don't see Maya being completely capable of beating Incubus to take away from her loathing him. If anything, it makes it even more intense, since she knows she could and should defeat him, but there would be no point to it because it would be furthering the same cycle she tried to leave and it would mean her leaving everything behind to be for nothing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joe Slowboat posted:

You forget the Cut of the Maybe Sword.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

Incubus doesn't get much respect from the other Demiurges but the rest of the text of the comic suggests that he's really good at killing people.

I mean, when you're the weakest of the 7 (or 8 I suppose) strongest beings in the multiverse, that's still pretty loving powerful.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Oh hey speaking of Maya and Incubus

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1317303594845175808

E:
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1317303805348880385

Everything is happening

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 17, 2020

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Questions answered, Maya is ready to merc Incubus.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

New question: Incubus has mud powers?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pseudorandom name posted:

He's never truly escaped being a starving wretch in the dirt, evidently.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Based on past strips, we know that Maya can never die (at least, of old age). And based on past strips, we know that Incubus can never truly live.

So here's a question: did she actually give him the Key?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
starting to feel like this incubus guy isn't great

pseudorandom name posted:

when we saw him in his realm, he was emerging from a (freshly filled?) pool of stagnant blood

this does seem to be the Lord of the Pit's preferred fast travel mechanism

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 17, 2020

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm enjoying every element of this universe conspiring to remind us that Incubus is a big bag of crap with the sole exception of himself when he's in someone else's head.

Kinda routing for the guy.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

itshappening.gif

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
From here on out it's just gonna be Chekov's Guns blasting like the finale of the 1812 Overture

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

At this point I'm hoping Incubus wins the fight and Maya has to train Allison. Maybe that's what you'll all hate, that Maya loses the fight.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Joe Slowboat posted:

At this point I'm hoping Incubus wins the fight and Maya has to train Allison. Maybe that's what you'll all hate, that Maya loses the fight.

Its true, I would hate that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

ok but which is which