Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

AtomikKrab posted:

Sweet Mask having a breakdown is indeed a huge deal.

Dude literally contemplated killing all the others to keep face before snapping out of it. He's really ballsy if he seriously believed he could take on most of S-Class there and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I think he could've

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
All Sweet Mask needs to do is say "Atomic Samurai sus".

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

All Sweet Mask needs to do is say "Atomic Samurai sus".

We all saw Saitama vent into the Monster Association sewer.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

oh jay posted:

We all saw Saitama vent into the Monster Association sewer.

Throw him out an airlock and he'll just rebound off a moon.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The body was Zombieman who came back to life so is Atomic Samurai still sus?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kild posted:

I think he could've

I believe he’s only not an S-rank because he refuses to let them move him up just to gatekeeper the top of A-rank. So either you need to skip him through your initial test or be legitimately stronger/better than him.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

I believe he’s only not an S-rank because he refuses to let them move him up just to gatekeeper the top of A-rank. So either you need to skip him through your initial test or be legitimately stronger/better than him.

Iirc Fubuki states at some point that part of her gatekeeping in B rank to build her group is because Sweet Mask is too much of a barrier to her advancing through A to S rank herself.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Seems to be pretty smart all things considered. Fubiki and Iaian would've gotten pasted if they "moved up" to S Rank at any point and they'd be the top candidates.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Raw redraw: https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/10834108156662690894

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
It feels like the original was released so long ago and I still can't stop laughing at the mimic monster just straight suiciding in King's overwhelming presence.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Seems to be pretty smart all things considered. Fubiki and Iaian would've gotten pasted if they "moved up" to S Rank at any point and they'd be the top candidates.

Oh, the gatekeeper system is great. You can't move up a rank unless you're #1 in your rank. So you've got Mumen Rider, who tries the hardest and is the nicest, meaning you can't reach B rank just by being good on camera. You've got Fubuki, who only lets people past her in ranking if they play political ball, so you have to be able to work with the other heroes (or be overwhelmingly stronger than Fubuki) to reach rank A. And you've got Sweet Mask, who stands like a steel gate in front of S rank.

Take a random S rank: King, say. You know he can actually fight, because he ranked up past Mumen Rider. You know he can lend his abilities to assist others, because he ranked past the Blizzard group. And you know he's exceptionally strong, because not even Sweet Mask can deny his power. It's a good system, that works well.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

Oh, the gatekeeper system is great. You can't move up a rank unless you're #1 in your rank. So you've got Mumen Rider, who tries the hardest and is the nicest, meaning you can't reach B rank just by being good on camera. You've got Fubuki, who only lets people past her in ranking if they play political ball, so you have to be able to work with the other heroes (or be overwhelmingly stronger than Fubuki) to reach rank A. And you've got Sweet Mask, who stands like a steel gate in front of S rank.

Take a random S rank: King, say. You know he can actually fight, because he ranked up past Mumen Rider. You know he can lend his abilities to assist others, because he ranked past the Blizzard group. And you know he's exceptionally strong, because not even Sweet Mask can deny his power. It's a good system, that works well.

Only the A,B,C ranks are achievable by advancing through the ranks. S classes don't have to worry about that kind of thing due to nepotism

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

No, Mask has explicitly expressed his intention to gatekeep people out of getting into S rank.

This doesn't stop people from being sorted directly into S-class like Genos was, though.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Sweet Mask still had input on whether Genos got into S-rank anyway.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zereth posted:

No, Mask has explicitly expressed his intention to gatekeep people out of getting into S rank.

This doesn't stop people from being sorted directly into S-class like Genos was, though.

I think every member of the S-rank was sorted in directly because of Sweet Mask blocking any other route up.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Even if a hero stronger than Sweet Mask started rising up the ranks, I wonder if they could even take number 1 from him since popularity plays into rankings as well.

How's a Caped Baldy going to be more popular than an idol?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder how many S class could take him in a fight. Obviously Tatsumaki, but everyone else is a maybe

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wonder how many S class could take him in a fight. Obviously Tatsumaki, but everyone else is a maybe

I'd put money on Dark Shine, Bang, and Flashy Flash. Maybe Watchdog Man and Drive Knight. And I guess Metal Knight if you want to count him. Thats probably it though.

He's probably psychotic enough to mulch Zombieman beyond the point where he could regenerate.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bucswabe posted:

I'd put money on Dark Shine, Bang, and Flashy Flash. Maybe Watchdog Man and Drive Knight. And I guess Metal Knight if you want to count him. Thats probably it though.

He's probably psychotic enough to mulch Zombieman beyond the point where he could regenerate.

A half mulched zombieman is rather ugly, though. Could give him an edge.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

A half mulched zombieman is rather ugly, though. Could give him an edge.

Good point, I wonder if Pig God should be considered in the running for that same reason?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
What do you mean, "maybe" Watchdog Man?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

S Rank is by invitation. The original ranks of the current crop who were already heroes before hitting s rank were all over the place. (metal bat was a C)
The majority of rank climbers want to get to A rank but dont aim for s rank because only crazy people are s rank.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
TTM and PPP are the only two members of the S class where I feel confident Sweet Mask could beat them. For whatever reason I don't get the impression that Sweet Mask thinks that anything PPP does is 'ugly' - whereas I could definitely see Zombieman winning just by being a hideous pile of guts - also I'm not sure if Sweet Mask's fighting style lends itself to erasing someone without a trace.

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
i hope we're ramping up to another big metal bat fight

a ramp made of metal bats that launches us into a massive lake of metal bats

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Super Rad posted:

TTM and PPP are the only two members of the S class where I feel confident Sweet Mask could beat them. For whatever reason I don't get the impression that Sweet Mask thinks that anything PPP does is 'ugly' - whereas I could definitely see Zombieman winning just by being a hideous pile of guts - also I'm not sure if Sweet Mask's fighting style lends itself to erasing someone without a trace.

Zombieman isn't great at winning fights, but he's a master at not losing them.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Super Rad posted:

I doubt Child Emporer could do much against him, and Genos gets trashed by basically everyone. King wouldn't even end up being a fight. My heart wants to think Atomic Samurai* could win - but I just don't think my boy has it in him.

And the secret for taking on Zombieman has to be just damaging him enough to dump him into molten steel, T2 style, right?

*edit: and, hate to say it, Metal Bat too

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 17, 2020

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Not sure what exactly Sweet Mask has done to put him above all the less absurd members of the S Rank. He's been pretty inconsequential in most the big S Rank events.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Gologle posted:

What do you mean, "maybe" Watchdog Man?

If the fight is in Q City Watchdog Man wins, if the fight is outside Q City he loses, due to him being more worried about getting back to Q City than protecting some other location.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah both for the joke and the general continuity from what we've seen re:garou Watchdog Man seems to be one of the best S fighters.

He's the only one (other than Saitama I guess) to have shown zero difficulty so far on-screen and off-screen, Garou commented on how unbelievably fast he was and he's strong enough to rip off Demon monsters' heads with one hit.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Rigged Death Trap posted:

S Rank is by invitation. The original ranks of the current crop who were already heroes before hitting s rank were all over the place. (metal bat was a C)
The majority of rank climbers want to get to A rank but dont aim for s rank because only crazy people are s rank.

Mask said he was staying in A rank to keep S rank from being contaminated with weaklings like Atomic Samurai's students.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 17, 2020

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Not sure what exactly Sweet Mask has done to put him above all the less absurd members of the S Rank. He's been pretty inconsequential in most the big S Rank events.

Seriously what are people basing this on? Is this some spoiler stuff? Sweet Mask has done nothing in the story so far to indicate that he can take on most of the S-class

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he says he can, but has not demonstrated such capabilities.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he says he can, but has not demonstrated such capabilities.

We literally saw him squish monsters into the pavement, bisect people in powered armor and make a plaything out of the dominatrix. We also saw that he has what appears to be an actual face mask which he miraculously healed somehow.

It’s safe to say he can at least fight the physical power houses like tank top and puri puri.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's not most of s class, that's the bottom of the barrel.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Translated redrawn chapter: https://bato.to/chapter/1525375

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Bucswabe posted:

I doubt Child Emporer could do much against him, and Genos gets trashed by basically everyone. King wouldn't even end up being a fight. My heart wants to think Atomic Samurai* could win - but I just don't think my boy has it in him.

And the secret for taking on Zombieman has to be just damaging him enough to dump him into molten steel, T2 style, right?

*edit: and, hate to say it, Metal Bat too

Well of course King wouldn't even be a fight he's the world's strongest man. As far as CE goes I have no idea who'd win just because CE might just get to pull a can of Sweet Mask repellant spray from out of his backpack. Genos probably loses because that's just his thing but he really only loses to entities that Saitama and Tatsumaki end up taking out so it's kinda hard to say how he actually compares to other S class heroes. I don't know if ONE is ever going to give Genos a clean win.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Super Rad posted:

I don't know if ONE is ever going to give Genos a clean win.

He beat everybody but Gouketsu during the tournament arc. Also Machine God G4 (?) that came to get King's battle data.

e: Machine God G5 too, took him out in one shot.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 17, 2020

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Genos doesn't care for clean wins, they mean he was wasting his time with weaklings and not going after the real threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

We literally saw him squish monsters into the pavement, bisect people in powered armor and make a plaything out of the dominatrix. We also saw that he has what appears to be an actual face mask which he miraculously healed somehow.

It’s safe to say he can at least fight the physical power houses like tank top and puri puri.

I was introduced to OPM through the anime, and season 1 introduces Sweet Mask before most of the other heroes, and hugely plays up the idea that this guy is shady, and is hiding something. He directly challenges Metal Bat after Boros, and once again threatens several of the S class during the pre-attack briefing in the current arc. I don't get the sense that he is stupid or drastically over-estimating his own power compared to others - especially now that we've seen him swat away demon-level threats like it's nothing.