Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

The Moon Monster posted:

Yellow trim on elf skirts is a pretty masochistic choice, take it from me. They look great, though!

yeah, it really wasnt worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I finished up my Undead team for Blitz Bowl last night.

Another quick bish-bash Contrast job, but they turned out well! (I'm disappointed the Blitz Bowl team boxes don't come with transfers, though, as I really don't want to freehand numbers or team symbols on them. Ah well, at least for Blitz Bowl jersey numbers aren't actually important.)

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I know this has had to have come up before, but does anyone have a recommendation for getting started with airbrushes? I got a $75 gift card for Amazon on my birthday, and I figured an airbrush would be a good investment to make by the time I want to get around painting larger models.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I made a war cry team!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Those guys look great, I always like seeing them done up in a gritter scheme.

What's your process on those bases btw? Kinda want to steal those for some Martian bases.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I kind of ruined them given my original intention. Just rolling with "very decayed sunken city" as a happy accident.
Cut up foam chunks...
Slathered bases with modpodge then tweezer them on.

Black primer
Drybrush grey then green (kabalite green but whatever)
Dab with pigment affixer randomly
Tap burnt sienna pigment all over with makeup brush

Wish I had been way more selective with the pigment affixer and pigments, and used a smaller brush.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

At that midpoint stage they look like little ham cubes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
paint some yellow and have a nice charcuterie base

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Got my McFarlane Space Marine last week. Wanted to get at least one good picture before all the moving bits scraped paint off.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

At that midpoint stage they look like little ham cubes.

I go on messenger:

I show my kid: *blinks* are you gluing ham to those disks?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ignite Memories posted:

humblewood miniatures are fantastic but i'm kinda pissed at whoever decided the rooster's staff should have 5 butterflies on it

Look, buddy: no one but you voted for what you pitched as the "Oops! All butterflies" Staff. Vox populi, yo?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I know this has had to have come up before, but does anyone have a recommendation for getting started with airbrushes? I got a $75 gift card for Amazon on my birthday, and I figured an airbrush would be a good investment to make by the time I want to get around painting larger models.

Somewhat "standard" advice.

Airbrush either:
Iwata Eclipse HP CS
Badger Patriot 105

Air compressor, use whatever you want, but if you are buying specific this one gets good recommendations
Master Airbrush TC-40T

I personally bought the badger and that compressor, it is quiet enough to use indoors at night while the kids are sleeping. I 99% use my airbrush for priming, basecoating, and varnishing but the fact that I can do that indoors rain or shine has been worthwhile.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

jassi007 posted:

Airbrush either:
Iwata Eclipse HP CS
Badger Patriot 105

Air compressor, use whatever you want, but if you are buying specific this one gets good recommendations
Master Airbrush TC-40T

I personally bought the badger and that compressor, it is quiet enough to use indoors at night while the kids are sleeping. I 99% use my airbrush for priming, basecoating, and varnishing but the fact that I can do that indoors rain or shine has been worthwhile.

Thanks a bunch!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

FWIW, you can sometimes get the Patriot 105 at Michael's with a 50% (or higher!) discount coupon. Black Friday is in a month, and that's generally when those coupons hit.

I'd suggest using the gift card for the compressor and then holding out if you want to min/max discounts.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Finally finished my first box of boyz. Getting back into the hobby and this was my first time painting orks so there's some inconsistency in the skins as I worked things out

Do you guys like lips or no lips on your orks? I went with no lips in the end cause my friend said orks with different colored lips are weird looking and painting lipstick is hard

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

yum posted:

I went with no lips in the end cause my friend said orks with different colored lips are weird looking and painting lipstick is hard

I agree, it's super jarring

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Added a little more Halloween to my collection.

Here's the group together.

Now to decide whether to bother with a Slendamin.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

yum posted:

Finally finished my first box of boyz. Getting back into the hobby and this was my first time painting orks so there's some inconsistency in the skins as I worked things out

Do you guys like lips or no lips on your orks? I went with no lips in the end cause my friend said orks with different colored lips are weird looking and painting lipstick is hard

I like the lips, but it adds more work than the payoff.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Giant Ethicist posted:

Late reply, but I did a whole process post about this guy in particular to show how I do it - here's a link to the post. (It also shows how contrasts make for a nice base for easy half-assed NMM.)

The end result, though, is this, after maybe 2 or 3 hours sustained painting time per mini.

Also, for "contrasts on larger models," here's Japanese wunderkind mini painter Senasuke using Contrasts to paint a Gundam of all things (in Japanese, but YouTube's auto-translate subtitles aren't terrible so you can get the basic idea):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExAZKKjF1as
Of particular interest is the technique she's worked out for mitigating pooling, which starts at the 8:35 mark.

I need to go try out this out immediately.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Ugh I hate the way GW has been doing their plastic kits recently. So many cool kitbashes that I can't do because all of their new kits are a bunch of weird bilaterally-split torsos with half of the head attached to one side and half to the other, etc. I know it probably cuts down on mold lines and lets them do more dynamic poses and stuff but I really like converting and while it is still technically possible, I suppose, it just makes it way more expensive + a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah I like it a lot as someone who does not do much conversion. I have heard that complaint though from a lot of friends. Here is a conversion I did for seraphon because the salamanders are so drat ugly. I used the new age of sigmar khorne hounds and an old saurus knight mounts head. I took the bottom of the khorne hounds flesh frill and made it a top frill like the Jurassic Park version of a Dilophosaurus .

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

yum posted:

Those are some right Orky boyz.

The pink lips look fine, but would look really weird if an ork ever closed his mouth.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

team lips here, looks way more striking than being Ork skin colour

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Yeah I like it a lot as someone who does not do much conversion. I have heard that complaint though from a lot of friends. Here is a conversion I did for seraphon because the salamanders are so drat ugly. I used the new age of sigmar khorne hounds and an old saurus knight mounts head. I took the bottom of the khorne hounds flesh frill and made it a top frill like the Jurassic Park version of a Dilophosaurus .

These are great, they look way better than the stock it.

Also add me to the tally of those in favor of the Ork Lips.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

jassi007 posted:

Airbrush either:
Iwata Eclipse HP CS
Badger Patriot 105

Master Airbrush TC-40T

As a slight counterpoint, I bought a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution a few years ago to replace my generic Iwata clone and it's been extremely awesome. But I would definitely second the recommendation to get a decent compressor. I'm rocking a very base level Clas Ohlson model and it's OK. It's fine. It's fiiiine. It's OK. Well it's not, really. It doesn't have a reserve tank so the air comes straight out of the compressor into the hose, which means it's basically running non-stop while I paint, and it can't hold pressure at the advertised maximum PSI.

One of these days I'll replace it with a better one.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The tank is 100% necessary, I just recently tried my friend's tankless compressor and its so bad. The regulator couldn't keep the pressure fixed at 25 so it would build up the 60 in the hose, then you would have to spray air for a second to let the pressure come down before actually pulling the trigger for paint. Hilariously bad compared to my $75 compressor with a tank

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 17, 2020

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My tankless compressor keeps a steady 20 psi when spraying. I guess it depends on the compressor.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
You CAN get a very good tankless compressor that can maintain the PSI, but there's just no point when they are going to cost more than an ok compressor with a tank that will also easily maintain any PSI.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, absolutely, get one with a tank. My compressor cant do more than 20 PSI. I just bought a tankless one because I didn't know better, I just lucked out and the one I got is alright without a tank.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, mine is tankless also, but I bought it like 12 years ago and finding an affordable one with a tank was tough locally and no one would ship to Alaska for even close to a reasonable price. It's a pretty high quality Iwata one though that is able to hold up to about 35 psi even while spraying, though I usually leave it at about 20-25.

I would prefer a tank one just to keep the noise down, but can't really justify that cost for something so minor.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah, I should revise my statement that it's not necessary if you can get a good one, but it's better than rolling the dice like my friend did.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Der Shovel posted:

As a slight counterpoint, I bought a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution a few years ago to replace my generic Iwata clone and it's been extremely awesome. But I would definitely second the recommendation to get a decent compressor. I'm rocking a very base level Clas Ohlson model and it's OK. It's fine. It's fiiiine. It's OK. Well it's not, really. It doesn't have a reserve tank so the air comes straight out of the compressor into the hose, which means it's basically running non-stop while I paint, and it can't hold pressure at the advertised maximum PSI.

One of these days I'll replace it with a better one.

How is it anyway? I only got started on airbrushing a couple months ago with a Badger and there's a dang Harder and Steenbeck Evolution on sale for £136... whatever that is in real money

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I agree, it's super jarring

Mugaaz posted:

I like the lips, but it adds more work than the payoff.

Bucnasti posted:

Those are some right Orky boyz.

The pink lips look fine, but would look really weird if an ork ever closed his mouth.

Thanks everyone. I see lips on the orks of people doing more advanced paint techniques but yeah, I'm glad I'm not doing that because its really easy to make them look like they got into mom's makeup kit

Looking forward to painting a squad of grots and a deff dread next!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Obviously Scale75 exists, but are there any other good sources of larger scale models with good, quality sculpts? Ideally US based for shipping purposes, but not super picky

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Cross-posting from the MCP thread:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Obviously Scale75 exists, but are there any other good sources of larger scale models with good, quality sculpts? Ideally US based for shipping purposes, but not super picky

It honestly doesn't seem like that big of a thing in the US. The only US manufacturer I can think of is Creature Caster which is mostly titty demons (I'd assume there are some historical ones but I don't care about those :P). That said Michigan Toy Soldier sells stuff from a ton of European manufacturers. They don't cover all of the big ones so you're probably just stuck shipping from Europe for a lot of this stuff. But tbh paying like $12 shipping isn't that big of a deal if it's something you're going to spend a month painting.

Pegaso/Kimera (historical/fantasy by the same company) is the biggest European manufacturer I can think of and I can vouch that their models are extremely nice. But there are dozens and that's not even counting sculptors that are running one man shops of their own line like Lucas Pina or Romain Van den Bogaert. Mr Lee's Minis and Figone are good websites to browse minis from a ton of manufacturers, just keep in mind that most of these manufacturers have some/alot of pinup models so their sites may be somewhat/quite nws.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

KingMob posted:

Hell yeah

the highlight on the cloth, such as for doctor strange, looks super clean. Good work dude

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

KingMob posted:

Is this the next expansion pack after the Big Bang Theory one?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hell yeah

the highlight on the cloth, such as for doctor strange, looks super clean. Good work dude

Thanks!

Schadenboner posted:

Is this the next expansion pack after the Big Bang Theory one?

Thankfully it's a different company, but yeah, Knight models should lose the DC license for those BBT... things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

KingMob posted:

Thanks!

Thankfully it's a different company, but yeah, Knight models should lose the DC license for those BBT... things.

The unfortunate thing is that the game has an amazing community of terrain builders around it. Like the ecosystem that sprung up around Infinity, only Burton/Nolanesque rather than ...whatever Infinity's architectural aesthetic is...?