Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Omnicrom posted:

This is literally how the Star Trek TCG worked, at least based on my incredibly limited knowledge of it.

I'm given to understand that this card basically reads "Punish your opponent for using any of the listed annoying, unintended, and/or overpowered strategies." Ban cards? What? No! Much better to give errata in the form of chase rares (of course this is a rare, you had to ask?)

I love the psedo-verisimilitude that, even though this is a purely metagame card that only exists to de-facto ban certain other cards, you still need a personnel with the FCA skill to use it; because the 'theme' of the card is that your opponent has broken Ferengi law by playing the overpowered cards, so you need someone with the authority to enforce it.

(It also had the odd, and probably unintended effect, that Borg players couldn't enforce this 'ban', because Borg weren't allowed to play non-Borg personnel ever.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I remember Magi Nation. Anyone else remember Magi Nation? It was good. Not super good, but I liked it at the time.
I also liked the incredibly janky GBC game based on it.

Apparently there was a very mediocre children's cartoon based on it produced in... Canada? A few years back?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like there are two ways to go.

One, just folks. There are some bad factions of orcs just like there are bad groups of people. Enemy orcs in a dungeon are a part of some band of raiders or soldiers of a necromancer or something, other orcs just hang out at the tavern and play darts.

The other way is to have creatures that aren't really recognizable as a "culture" or a people at all- they don't have families or even breed in a familiar way, they don't make tools or weave clothing, they're kinda mindless. Like, say, the demons in Doom, the Xenomorphs in the Alien movies, etc. It's hard to make "orcs" or "goblins" into that kind of thing, I think their cultural baggage is tied up in them being intelligent beings.

So yeah I generally just err on orcs as folks, and if the PCs REALLY need something they can kill without asking questions, it's easy enough to set up a scenario where the bad guys are bad because they're doing bad things.

That actually reminds me of a worldbuilding thought experiment I did for one of my homebrew settings to try and design a species of "evil" sapient creatures that didn't have uncomfortable implications. What I ended up with were "Creeps", a race of humanoid apex predators that were partially uplifted by advanced precursors but without altering their existing predatory instincts (Like increasing a tiger's intelligence to human levels without giving it the instincts of a community-based creature). What you end up with is a species of Hannibal Lecters who can pick up human language and tool use, but still live out in caves in the wilderness because the only time they ever interact with other members of their species is during mating season.

They can be conversed and reasoned with, and one could theoretically become a not-murder monster if they were raised in society, but as a species they lack the instincts that are conducive to forming one of their own.

The other problem D&D has with always evil races, even those like Creeps or the afore-mentioned Mind Flayers, is that "Good" and "Bad" are codified, absolute concepts in D&D world.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Joe Slowboat posted:

I remember Magi Nation. Anyone else remember Magi Nation? It was good. Not super good, but I liked it at the time.

Apparently there was a very mediocre children's cartoon based on it produced in... Canada? A few years back?

A friend of mine and I picked up starters and some boosters back in the early 2000s but never went much further than that. I had the uh, water and nature stuff?

We still reference the flavor text from this card as an injoke sometimes because we thought it was hilarious at the time and for some reason still do.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Pyrolocutus posted:

A friend of mine and I picked up starters and some boosters back in the early 2000s but never went much further than that. I had the uh, water and nature stuff?

We still reference the flavor text from this card as an injoke sometimes because we thought it was hilarious at the time and for some reason still do.

Oh I have that buddy! What a great little guy.
Yeah I got just starter packs, I think. Fire, Underground, Air, and ... Water, I think? I got a bunch because that's what existed, and also seemed likely to be balanced for play with friends who didn't have their own.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have a starter for the Rifts ccg but I gave up trying to play it because it was either missing cards or because the starter didn't come with cards it needed to be played.

This feels like the most Rifts thing.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
The secret route to avoid the tensions revolving around the murder of sapient life is to play a game where murder isn’t the primary verb available to the PCs. I know it can be a hard sell, but there are games out there besides D&D and D&D-likes, and many of them are, in fact, more enjoyable than D&D and its offspring!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Even if you're playing D&D for a D&D-a-like it's not terribly hard to make the antagonist a system, organization, or direct competitors rather than a species/race. It just means an roleplaying scene which ends in cooperation or conflict depending on outcome. Just can't have the same be breaking into people's houses and killing them for their things.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I remember my family buying some packs of the Harry Potter card game when the movies were just coming out. I never learned how to play but I think it was similar to Pokémon where you used the different schools of magic (charms, transfiguration, etc) as a resource similar to energy.

The new Digimon card game is pretty neat. It’s based off of Chrono Clash, which was made by the guy who made Duel Masters. The resource system is neat, every card costs memory and if your memory becomes less than zero, it becomes your opponent’s turn.

My main complaint is they reuse the characters from the current show as tamers too often, and there’s too many Agumon. It’s a game with six colors and there’s an Agumon in four of them

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Not a CCG, but my GenCon tradition is crushing the dreams of the same guy selling Dragon Dice as I go through the cycle of remembering that game exists, remembering thinking it was neat as a kid, saying "I thought TSR killed this alongside Spellfire", and losing interest as the nostalgia fades just as the Dragon Dice guy goes into his pitch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oh man, Spellfire flashbacks. My friend group thought it's be fun to have each person play a different setting. When there's no downside to playing a card with twice the numbers and they happily embraced that with power creep to sell new sets, that doesn't work well.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Instead of playing Magic in high school, my friends and I discovered the discontinued boxes of Spellfire cards at the FLGS. We played a lot, including a big 15~ person game in someone's basement. Eventually everyone stopped playing because two of us "bought too many powerful cards." I didn't sell those cards until a few years ago. Loved the artwork, pretty sure most if not all of it was reused book art.

Then came the Nightstalkers set.

I know they're not great but I'm on mobile and it's what I could find. They took photos at cosplay events, and also photos of miniatures, and used them for the artwork.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think those might be stills from the VHS cassette game!

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

moths posted:

I think those might be stills from the VHS cassette game!

The what now?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

DragonStrike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPKEjGJdI44

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I think I might still have a ton of starters for the Kult CCG

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

As an enormous Tolkien need I was way into ICE's Middle-earth card game. It was actually pretty interesting, because you had to travel around to locations in order to gather allies and treasures to gain Marshalling points (or something) to defeat the Dark Lord, and your travel route determined what threatening encounters your opponent could play. There was no direct conflict between players main play space, where you kept all your cards, though I understand they released a set to allow playing the bad guys so maybe that enabled it.

The game I somehow managed to play the most (not counting Magic) and that I really enjoyed was the Dune TCG. It's 30 years ago or whatever so my perspective is definitely warped, but I think it was pretty well-designed because even back then I recognized that it having 3+ different ways to win was actually really cool and made the game more interesting. I think I still have most of the first two sets of cards in a binder somewhere.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I had like six decks of Judge of the Change but I didn't get any of the core groups for the Dune CCG. I remember the art was pretty baller. It's probably a lot of why I'm ride or die for Dune now.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I had a bunch of EVE Online CCG cards, but now I just use them as card backers when I'm making custom cards. The game itself was very swingy and once one side had an advantage, it was hard to catch up, but it had some interesting ideas in it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
For me the weirdest thing about the whole "orcs and evil" discourse is how bizarrely angrily adamant some people get that they have to be able to kill orcs whenever they play a game, like if there isn't a potential avenue for orc-murder then this game sucks thanks to SJW cancel culture, I just can't imagine being that passionate about something so one-dimensional.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

For me the weirdest thing about the whole "orcs and evil" discourse is how bizarrely angrily adamant some people get that they have to be able to kill orcs whenever they play a game, like if there isn't a potential avenue for orc-murder then this game sucks thanks to SJW cancel culture, I just can't imagine being that passionate about something so one-dimensional.

Every year or so there's at least one person who Makes A Stand on RPGnet about default male pronouns.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Cards like this guy are why Magi-Nation sticks so hard in my memory (besides the ~year I went to their version of FNM). There were so many instances of fun flavor text. How about that cycle of cards quoting Weird Al's "Albuquerque"?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Oh, I also liked the old Game of Thrones CCG. Choosing your agenda or whatever setting up how you play cards for the rest of the turn was a cool idea.

I know FFG still makes it, but I have no idea if it's anything like it used to be.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Nessus posted:

I had like six decks of Judge of the Change but I didn't get any of the core groups for the Dune CCG. I remember the art was pretty baller. It's probably a lot of why I'm ride or die for Dune now.

Holy poo poo, extremely same.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pyrolocutus posted:

This is amazing and it's just begging to be made into an avatar+text.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I've always like Over the Edge, and a few years ago you could get booster boxes of On The Edge for a song, so collecting them became my hobby for a bit.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
90% of the card games talked about in this thread could be a lot more anime. It’s like the designers weren’t even trying!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

thetoughestbean posted:

90% of the card games talked about in this thread could be a lot more anime. It’s like the designers weren’t even trying!

I'll admit, Dune might reach a broader audience if there were speed lines and giant drops of shame-sweat during a solid five minute exposition on ecological transformation.

Honestly, I wish all audio-visual was made in two versions, one of which was always in Speed Racer-style.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

That Old Tree posted:

I'll admit, Dune might reach a broader audience if there were speed lines and giant drops of shame-sweat during a solid five minute exposition on ecological transformation.

Honestly, I wish all audio-visual was made in two versions, one of which was always in Speed Racer-style.

Dune would 100% be improved if the main character got into a humanoid mech while contemplating the nature of war

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
only Brian Herbert can introduce giant mechs to something and have me absolutely hate it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Der Waffle Mous posted:

only Brian Herbert can introduce giant mechs to something and have me absolutely hate it.

I feel like the Brian Herbert-produced Dune anime would be a "Dawktaw Wawwy"-tier disaster.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've also got two starter sets of the rifts ccg, my friend and I found it bafflingly unplayable. i have a deck of the Wheel of Time game, but i don't remember actually trying to play it. We definitely did play Mythos a few times and i recall it being... ok? Also decent was the illuminatus CCG, which i got a whole box of boosters along with several starter decks for so there's enough cards for a whole table.

TwoWordName
Jan 3, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

I was incredibly invested in it at the time it was being released. I liked the big mountain people because they made big mountain monsters that were incredibly inefficient and would lose to base set printed discard effects immediately.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

has no one mentioned Ani-mayhem?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cat Face Joe posted:

has no one mentioned Ani-mayhem?

I used to think Ani-Mayhem was a crazy thing you wouldn't get again in the US due to licensing but Weiss Schwarz exists and is still going strong. I could be wrong but I remember the DBZ set just made all the other irrelevant. I know they still have tournaments at Gencon but I'm pretty sure every card game does.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Omnicrom posted:

I'm given to understand that this card basically reads "Punish your opponent for using any of the listed annoying, unintended, and/or overpowered strategies." Ban cards? What? No! Much better to give errata in the form of chase rares (of course this is a rare, you had to ask?)

"If A is true, then your opponent loses the game" is peak hilariously bad design

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
God, I loving hated Jyhad. Two starters and two or three boosters, and I don't think I could have assembled a functional deck if my life depended on it. Magic, at least, I could limp along with either of my starters, even the one loaded with Red spells and no mountains.

Wing Commander was... interesting, in that you had two entirely separate sets of cards, one for either navy in the setting's war. And I mean 'interesting' to mean 'bought two decks that I've never actually played'.

Anyone remember Wyvern? Incredibly low budget, but the field layout makes me think of Yu-Gi-Oh a little.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Oh, God the first edition of the GoT LCG. I loved that game. At one point I had almost every card.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

I remember from like, elementary school that the flavor text on their version of Counterspell was, "Um..... no?"

We still say it when people use Counterspell in D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

TwoWordName posted:

I was incredibly invested in it at the time it was being released. I liked the big mountain people because they made big mountain monsters that were incredibly inefficient and would lose to base set printed discard effects immediately.

I remember too much about all the factions in the GBC game, and almost nothing about the rest. Kybar’s Peak?