Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Was King Dave somehow the lynchpin tying magical capacity to humans and his death just caused it to unspool, or was it an intentional act he committed that caused the magical shift?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

All I remember of the very end was that one of the main characters was killed with zero buildup before the strip when they died.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
That would sure be an interesting thematic reinforcement of King Dave's whole deal, so of course is not in the comic to the best of my recollection.

Dave's only about 50-60, and humans have been the race with magic for longer than that, so I don't think it was his doing.

I think Dominic killing the flying spaghetti monster by harnessing the source of all magic and casting his only spell, "gently caress You See the Truth" burnt out the collective mana battery for humanity and once it was empty, a new one appeared for orcs to use.

But we'll get there eventually and see exactly what it is.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Ah, the world-shifting event being tied back to something Dominic did would make more sense. Impact befitting the sole protagonist of reality.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Orcs had magic even then. Humans had stronger magic.
From what I recall it was less that Humans lose all magic and Orcs gain all magic, but more just about the strength. To put it in DnD terms because that's how Mookie kind of operates, Human spellcasters were all casting with a +10 bonus to every spell and a bunch of extra spell slots, but now those bonuses go to the Orcs.

Like my understanding was that the Heart of Magic gave a huge boost to the spellcasting ability of whatever people it favored, and that's what King Dave used to make Callan the paramount civilization in the world. The loss of the Heart's favor meant that Human supremacy would die out and Orcs would be the new hegemons, but that Humans would still have access to magic.

But maybe it's dumber than I remember and Humans did legit lose all magic.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I suspect we are spending more time thinking about it than Mookie did.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i will never stop overanalysing deegan comics

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Zereth posted:

I suspect we are spending more time thinking about it than Mookie did.
A Planck time is more time than Mookie spent thinking about it

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My point is that I think the actual answer for what the Heart of Magic favoring the Orcs instead did is "nothing, because the comic ended before Mookie had to decide what the specific consequences were".

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Even if he had consequences planned I don't think he remembers.
Remember how mongrelfolk were like 9 feet tall in Deegan classic? Mookie doesn't, and now they're regular human size.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Humans lost magic but gained magitech, or maybe steampunk tech.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
If you overlay the final chapters of OG Dominic Deegan with FullMetal Alchemist they would line up like a treasure map.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

If you overlay the final chapters of OG Dominic Deegan with FullMetal Alchemist they would line up like a treasure map.

There's something else they'd line up like, but I can't think of a way to phrase it without fma spoilers.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Little Death posted:

He's the coolest. Except for inexplicably being super evil all of a sudden, he's definitely a cooler character than any of the Deegan clan. He earned his poo poo.

That's what makes him evil. Mookie's heroes get by on having rich, powerful, and influential parents that give them what they need, and failing that, just various ex-machina resolutions as well as random visions giving Dominic the expo dump he needs. He's never seen actually working -- at most the work will be reading a book or something trivial like that.

The villains, on the other hand, work tirelessly to rise above their station. An orphaned street urchin should grow up to become a two-bit gang member; instead this guy had the gal to study hard, become an archmage, create a wonderful utility for the people at large (a teleportation network allowing the mass to travel swiftly and efficiently, instead of that being a privilege reserved to the worthy???) and even become the king of the country because of how popular that made him? The fiend! What's next, universal healthcare?

Oh and also, this was the time when Mookie drew noses like beaks. King Dave is a pretty bird! :3:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Cat Mattress posted:

Oh and also, this was the time when Mookie drew noses like beaks. King Dave is a pretty bird! :3:
Maybe that's why he got along so well with birdhair.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheHan posted:

Admittedly, the Anime Boston 2006 convention organizers are responsible for this.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
^ This guest list is an active danger to the community. Except Steve Blum (I hope).

Invisible Clergy posted:

There's something else they'd line up like, but I can't think of a way to phrase it without fma spoilers.

Ripping off all the story beats of better media to create a crest of poo poo.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 17, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheHan posted:

^ This guest list is an active danger to the community. Except Steve Blum (I hope).

What's wrong with the Applegeeks guys?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

Ripping off all the story beats of better media to create a crest of poo poo.

Steve Blum is to the best of my knowledge, not a rapist. I take a voice acting class with him. he's a really nice guy.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Cat Mattress posted:

What's wrong with the Applegeeks guys?

Oh wait, those guys are probably fine too. I know nothing of them or Applegeeks.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Steve Blum is to the best of my knowledge, not a rapist. I take a voice acting class with him. he's a really nice guy.

Ahh, good to know.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's a political alignment compass meme basically. Even has child rape in the right category.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Tesseraction posted:

That's a political alignment compass meme basically. Even has child rape in the right category.

...isn’t that usually the sector Mookie is in? Bottom right?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, and he drew Melna Durnaxe being heroically raped as a child.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, and he drew Melna Durnaxe being heroically raped as a child.

Alright; I admit when he’s in a constellation with Vic Mignogna I wouldn’t equate that with actually doing it; not to diminish Mookie’s moral atrocity, to be clear.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, I would say that Vic is definitely the worst person in that image. Say what you will about Mookie, but he didn't sue anyone for talking about how he sexually harassed them, then demonstrate how he did it under deposition.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah fair I'm not fully up on the Vic drama - I just know he has lovely lawyers and has credibly been accused of physical harassment. Is there a summary of his misdeeds?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah fair I'm not fully up on the Vic drama - I just know he has lovely lawyers and has credibly been accused of physical harassment. Is there a summary of his misdeeds?

Short form: Vic Minogna has been widely known to be a creep who hit on underage fans on the convention circuit for years, and when his fellow VAs came out with how he harassed them as well, he tried to sue them for defamation. It has gone very badly for him.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Here's the ADTRW thread for it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898015. First post has a Twitter thread embedded that summarizes everything to that point. It has been a beautiful, beautiful train wreck for Vic.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Basically, he’s had a pattern of accusations of sexual harassment/assault that goes all the way back to his breakout role as Ed in the first Fullmetal Alchemist series in the early 2000’s... and this was enough of an open secret that he got quietly disinvited from some cons.

Shortly after Dragon Ball Super: Broly came out in English a couple years ago (with him as the titular character), Anime News Network published an article that compiled all of the then-known accusations against him in one place. Two of his biggest employers, Funimation and Rooster Teeth, launched internal investigations of their own, and based on what they found, they publicly announced that they were severing all ties with him and recasting him as needed. Monica Rial (one of Funi’s higher-ups and VAs) then came forward with her own personal account of him harassing her, and he retaliated by trying to sue her and Funi.

He lost the initial suit, and is currently appealing, which puts him in jeopardy of losing a lot more than he did from the first ruling, and his representation has been a total clusterfuck, to put it kindly.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Regalingualius posted:

Two of his biggest employers, Funimation and Rooster Teeth, launched internal investigations of their own, and based on what they found, they publicly announced that they were severing all ties with him and recasting him as needed.

Related, Rooster Teeth very recently had one of their core Achievement Hunter members - Ryan Haywood - be very credibly accused of abusing multiple teenage fans too and he was subsequently booted out entirely, so I wonder if them kicking out Vic so definitively helped those fans come forward. One of a few public statements on the matter, transcribed in the comment section.

But that has nothing to do with Dominic Deegan or Mookie, I hope!

Anyway is anyone else just :allears: at our sensitive male protagonist explaining to the ignorant woman how to open the yoni fruit?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Pyrotoad posted:

Anyway is anyone else just :allears: at our sensitive male protagonist explaining to the ignorant woman how to open the yoni fruit?

Yeah, it's very much born sexy yesterday, and the fact that Snout is this perfectly innocent softboy virgin makes it all the weirder and more gross. Especially with the yeah, goasty vagina fruits, which is such a freudian choice on Mookie's part it almost feels like a deliberate troll. I know it's not, but it even has the fingers!

And snout looks like Mookie now. I said it.

Interlude: The Confession

The next story in the comic is a weird little interlude with Szark in seclusion with the mock Christians. Two versions of the same story done by two different artists, one after another in the archive. Very strange choice and kills what little pace the story had dead.

Don't feel like doing a strip by strip on this, because it's so short, but I will say that I find it funny that Mookie felt the need to kill another independent businesswoman type offscreen. Women described as ruthless must always die, that's the rule. It also never occured to me how weird Szark is a character considering Mookie's own... proclivities. These strips are straight up saying "Szark had a bloody death fetish that started when he saw a lady get stabbed in the tits".
:thunk:

Makes me wonder if Mookie made Szark gay just to distance him from himself.

Also the reveal, that Szark didn't commit murder murder, just the not-murders murders from before, is very dumb and pointless. Even in their deepest moments of sin, the Deegantourage can't actually do anything that bad.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
... why? Why? Why did he have two guest artists do the same story, page for page? It doesn't offer a different insight it's not like it's showing two sides of the same thing it's just two people drawing the same comic. What??? Why????

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
“Noooo, see? Szark didn’t kill all those people! He just stood by and watched as they died! It’s O-KAY!”
Mookie’s deranged morality is the best. As long as his heroes are one degree removed from the atrocities they condone they’re absolved of guilt.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think it's kind of novel to let 2 artists do their own thing with the same story, especially for a short little aside like this. Gives different vibes, like in those last 2 pages.

I just wish Mookie also did his version of the story just so we can see side by side by side how 2 separate people clown on his art

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

You see, he's not guilty of murder, but he feels like he's guilty of murder, so we can feel bad for mookieszark. Showing blatant insecurity like that is more or less mookie's SOP for making the audience feel sympathy for a character. He always does it with Luna, he did it with nurse Pam, he did it with the Ink Witch. The problem is it doesn't work when it is an actual bad thing that should have repercussions. Mookie clearly wants the audience to absolve his mookies of the guilt they feel and doesn't understand that there's more to atonement than just feeling sad and asking for validation.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i don't understand why he got two artists to do the same story
did he not have two stories in him??

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Miss posted:

i don't understand why he got two artists to do the same story
did he not have two stories in him??

What over the last 20 years has led you to believe Mookie has even one story in him, let alone 2?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It would have been at least a little bit more interesting if Szark revealed that he really did kill them all himself, and just got a bit lucky with finding the perfect fall guy to cover his tracks. But... No, it’s just Mookie’s usual schtick of “oh no, a main character did something bad?! <Turns forward a couple pages> Oh, it’s just a misunderstanding, trick, metaphorical, etc.”

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Regalingualius posted:

It would have been at least a little bit more interesting if Szark revealed that he really did kill them all himself, and just got a bit lucky with finding the perfect fall guy to cover his tracks. But... No, it’s just Mookie’s usual schtick of “oh no, a main character did something bad?! <Turns forward a couple pages> Oh, it’s just a misunderstanding, trick, metaphorical, etc.”

What's funny is that, in another story, I think this sort of beat could work. The idea that the a character who loves killing's first sin wasn't killing someone, but not stopping a death when he could? That could work. But Szark has already said he's "atoned" for all the people he actually killed! This last sin he's confessing is noticably less bad than everything that follows (which he was made blamesless for by Mookie), so it's not a shocking discovery for the character, just pointless backstory for a character trait he no longer possesses. This only works if you really believe that Szark was blamesless at the end of Esctasy and Evil. obviously to Mookie, no one could have come out of that arc not feeling that Szark was absolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Don’t forget all of Szark’s opponents were charmed by Amelia into dueling him, so it’s actually her fault all those people died. And since she was strangled to death the universe is in karmic balance. At least that's what I think Mookie intended, since he went out of his way to show that the duelists were enchanted and he writes like such a coward that he can't stand to have his pet characters do bad things. I think even Miranda sending TIM to the eyeball zone was retconned as being unintentional on her part, since if it wasn't then you could argue she hosed up royal and got the whole town of Lynn's Brook killed. Always gotta have that plausible deniability.