Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you really wanna make your car part of your sleeping arrangements, get a mattress and throw it in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

If you really wanna make your car part of your sleeping arrangements, get a mattress and throw it in the back.

Combo/best of both worlds: strap a mattress to the roof of your car. Never take it off.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

pumped up for school posted:

Combo/best of both worlds: strap a mattress to the roof of your car. Never take it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul6UcvNX4o8

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
There's this old couple that runs a machine shop a few doors down from my old workplace, we sometimes go camping with them. They have a hard-shell pop-up tent that mounts onto the bed of his pickup, and then the empty space underneath is used to transport food/water/supplies.

But a car? I think I'd just rather sleep in the car. Get some bug netting with magnet strips so you can leave a window open as much or as little as you want.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
When we had an old Ford Explorer, we just threw some foam pads in the back, with the seats flat, and slept on them. We put any gear that wouldn't fit in the front seats on the roof or hood and threw a tarp over it. Even worked with two small dogs with us.
The bug nets on windows or a vented sunroof is a great idea. Never thought of that.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
We've been using these for window coverings while sleeping in the back of our car: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HYXZYMN/

Also splurged on an Exped Megamat when it was on sale a while ago. Now it's pretty much as comfortable as our actual bed back there with the seats down.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I’d second just get a nice separate tent if you’re car camping. Way more versatile, and lets you pitch in a shady spot where the tent won’t bake all day. Also makes it easier to find a flat spot to pitch, so you’re not at the mercy of the parking space. At that cost and utility, you might as well start looking into campers.

I’ve got the Coleman 6 person jnsta cabin tent for car camping, and it is spacious as all get out and fairly cheap. I can fully stand up at 6’4”, we can pitch a queen double height inflatable mattress (though now I’m looking at separate twin xls), and there’s plenty of adjustable ventilation. There’s also a bunch of really great lighter weight tent designs out there as well if you’re concerned about space.

For carrying gear outside the vehicle, I’ve been converted by the Thule roof baskets and soft side zippered bag. That’s perfect for firewood, packs, cookkit, and other miscellaneous gear. the trailer hitch platform I spent too much money on earlier this summer just really sucks in comparison.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

230g isopro canisters are 4€/each in local auto parts store. So cheap. I wish they sold smaller 100g cans too, only need the larger can for longer than 3-4 day trips.

With the 230g can fuel costs are negligible.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've struggled finding fuel canisters, luckily I already have a few. The small propane cylinders though ... impossible to find.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
REI seems to be the only outdoor store with consistent stock on anything. The Bass Pro Shop is pretty threadbare, and you'd think the Sportsman's near me was going out of business.
Then again, 'rona and a lot more people doing outdoor things.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Verman posted:

I've struggled finding fuel canisters, luckily I already have a few. The small propane cylinders though ... impossible to find.

I found a ton of the 1lb propane canisters at home depot a few weeks ago, in the tool section by the plumbing torches. IsoPro canisters ate unobtainable near me though, as I mentioned a page or so ago.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Verman posted:

I spent absolutely stupid money on it, but for car camping I recently bought a 1 gallon worthington propane tank and hosed canister adapter

Figured it’ll be better over the long term being able to refill that vs half empty single use canisters.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I spent absolutely stupid money on it, but for car camping I recently bought a 1 gallon worthington propane tank and hosed canister adapter

Figured it’ll be better over the long term being able to refill that vs half empty single use canisters.

I just got a cheap adapter that is supposed to let you refill the 1lb cans from a 20lb tank. I haven't tried it out yet though.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

armorer posted:

I just got a cheap adapter that is supposed to let you refill the 1lb cans from a 20lb tank. I haven't tried it out yet though.

If you're in the U.S., be aware that your standard disposable 1 lb propane cylinders are not designed to be refilled and can come with hefty fines imposed by the DOT if you're caught transporting them on public roads after they've been refilled.
There's a version called Flame King that's got a pressure-vented 1 lb bottle that's specifically designed to be refilled from 20 lb tanks. I got one for Christmas but haven't gotten to try it out yet.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

poeticoddity posted:

and can come with hefty fines imposed by the DOT if you're caught transporting them on public roads after they've been refilled.

From what I've read this only applies to commercial transportation

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Late catching up on this thread but honestly my wife and I love our rooftop tent. We have a hard shell hybrid one (iKamper) mounted on a bed rack at cab height which is the ultimate way to car camp but also a very specific setup.

I love how it's always just ready to go, I store my sleeping bag and pillow in there and it has a mattress in it so when I roll up to camp it's 2-3 minutes and I'm ready to go for the night. Also completely removes rocky/muddy/snowy ground as a factor when pitching up. A ground tent is undoubtedly more versatile but if you've got the scratch for a RTT you can afford both.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

for those of you with several sleeping bags, how do you stagger the temps? i have a 45 and a 30 degree bag and now that winter's approaching i'm looking to buy some colder ones. thinking i might get a 15 degree bag and a -5 degree bag as i mostly camp in southwest US. not sure if i should have 45/30/15/-5 spread or maybe 45/30/10/-10? i don't think i'll be camping anywhere colder than negative single digits. how do you guys buy different bags by temperature?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

ROFLburger posted:

for those of you with several sleeping bags, how do you stagger the temps? i have a 45 and a 30 degree bag and now that winter's approaching i'm looking to buy some colder ones. thinking i might get a 15 degree bag and a -5 degree bag as i mostly camp in southwest US. not sure if i should have 45/30/15/-5 spread or maybe 45/30/10/-10? i don't think i'll be camping anywhere colder than negative single digits. how do you guys buy different bags by temperature?

You're not really approaching this the right way. Buy a warmer bag if you need it based on projected lows at your next destination, but not as a hypothetical to fill out your menagerie.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

ROFLburger posted:

Do you enjoy buying sleeping bags? I'm curious as to why you want to have so much overlap. Sleeping bag ratings aren't an exact science so two bags in the upper limits (30 and 45) so close together seem redundant.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Buy a warmer bag if you need it based on projected lows at your next destination, but not as a hypothetical to fill out your menagerie.

This.

Look at your trips and environment. What bag do you tend use the most. For me in the PNW its a 15º down bag. I use that bag on 99% of my trips. In summer months, you can still get near freezing temps up in the mountains so I usually look at the forecast for the elevation I'll be at and assume it could get 10-15º colder in a worst case scenario (humidity/wind chill/rain). Coupled with an insulated sleeping pad, I feel comfortable to around 20º. In warmer months I can unzip my bag and use it like a blanket, letting my feet/arms whatever breathe as needed. It works great until the temps get into the 60-70s. A 15º down bag doesn't weigh that much, it has a massive range of warmth, and it doesn't take up much space. Perfect PNW 3 season bag for me.

Now consider your other uses and the likelihood of those uses. (I'll use myself as an example and adjust according do your environment). Aside from your average trip, do you do more winter camping, summer camping? Ski touring or mountaineering? Paddling trips or desert stuff? I shop based on my needs. Primary need is three season use. Next would be summer usage. Lastly would be winter usage because I rarely do it (which is why I dont own a -10 or 0º bag)

Winter camping - My 15º bag will work for some winter camping but only the upper limit (20-30º). This is where I might consider adding a -10 or 0º bag (or whatever range you need for the average winter conditions in your area).

Warmer weather - My 15º bag works when unzipped to a pretty high range of temps up to 70º. To save some weight and bulk, I would look for a small quilt rated for 45-50º for my summer trips with forecasted warm weather. Anything warmer than 80º and I would just bring some kind of thin sheet/blanket that doesn't really add warmth.

Those three options would cover pretty much any trip I would go on here in the PNW. I have a hard time believing you couldn't satisfy most of your needs with 2 bags, but a quilt would be a nice third addition for summer. Keep in mind there are a lot of variables like your sleeping pad, what you wear to sleep, hat or no hat, insulation type, humidity in the air, wind, rain, and if you tend to sleep warm or cold.

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 15, 2020

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

You're not really approaching this the right way. Buy a warmer bag if you need it based on projected lows at your next destination, but not as a hypothetical to fill out your menagerie.

i have known lowest range of single digit negatives and i'm wondering if a 15 degree bag and a -5 degree bag will be adequate for everything in between. i had to bail out of a trip this weekend because i don't have a warm enough bag and i'd prefer to be prepared for any colder temperatures in the future so this doesn't happen again

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if I'm cold I put a quilt on top of my sleeping bag

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

maybe i should just buy a -5 degree bag and see if i'm comfortable using it when it's ~20 degrees? maybe i don't need two. i just want to be prepared for impromptu trips when they come up

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

ROFLburger posted:

i just want to be prepared for impromptu trips when they come up

Great glad I could help dude

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
In very cold temperatures two bags can actually be a pro move that can beat a single thicker sleeping bag. With a single down bag the dew point where moisture condenses can easily end up on the surface or even inside the bag. This can’t be avoided in all circumstances (unless you’re willing to try a vapor barrier lock which can be a miserable experience) but the damage can be controlled by using a synthetic bag or quilt on top so that the dew point hopefully stays in the synthetic. The synthetic can be quite thin, like a 1 season bag, and it’ll be easy to dry. With a 3 season down bag underneath you should be able to push the combo well below freezing. I haven’t tried the method myself but apparently it’s quite popular with the more serious arctic explorers and mountaineers.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Verman posted:

Do you enjoy buying sleeping bags? I'm curious as to why you want to have so much overlap.

no, i was just curious about other people's setups who camp year round. sounds like my bags are probably too close together in terms of warmth and i should just buy a single, much warmer one

j.peeba posted:

In very cold temperatures two bags can actually be a pro move that can beat a single thicker sleeping bag. With a single down bag the dew point where moisture condenses can easily end up on the surface or even inside the bag. This can’t be avoided in all circumstances (unless you’re willing to try a vapor barrier lock which can be a miserable experience) but the damage can be controlled by using a synthetic bag or quilt on top so that the dew point hopefully stays in the synthetic. The synthetic can be quite thin, like a 1 season bag, and it’ll be easy to dry. With a 3 season down bag underneath you should be able to push the combo well below freezing. I haven’t tried the method myself but apparently it’s quite popular with the more serious arctic explorers and mountaineers.

that's interesting i think i'll try that

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

j.peeba posted:

So is doubling up on your insulation from the ground. Combining a closed cell foam pad with an insulated air pad will increase the insulation from the cold ground, you'll see a lot of mountaineers doing this.

My only worry with double bagging is that down (and most insulation in general) works best when the insulation (feathers/down) is lofted. When you compress that insulation (by laying on top of it, or by adding a layer on top of it), make sure its not heavy enough to compress the insulation and limit its performance. Again, its all theory in my head as I've never tried it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

You can also grab a silk liner to "add 10 degrees" to the rating of your sleeping bag

I used one once, don't really know how much it helped since the bag I used it with was awful and constrictive and I routinely pulled myself out of it while I was sleeping, negating all benefits

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Yeah just get a liner to bridge any gaps if you need to. I used one on my 34 degree bag one trip out in Canyonlands when the temps dropped into the single digits and was (mostly) fine. I did wake up twice to heat up some water and pour it into a Nalgene to use as a hot water bottle of sorts, but it was tolerable.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

- i have a 40º synthetic that i don't really care about ruining and i just bring to drunken summer camping parties or if i might sleep over a friend's house or something

- i have a 30º down bag that's super compactable (size of a coke can) that i generally use for bikepacking

- and a 20º down bag that's less compactable (size of a nalgene) that i generally bring for more alpine trips, usually hiking

- a "4" rated insulated inflatable sleeping pad + emergency blanket underneath the pad to reflect heat if really necessary

- silk liner adds ~5º to each of those bag ratings, plus a beanie/down pants/down jacket if it's really cold

i honestly can't tell a difference when im in the 20 bag vs the 30 bag, just too many confounding variables to really make a good comparison. but with either bag + the liner and jacket/pants + the insulated pad I've comfortably slept in like 10 degree weather. I've never tried using an outer bag to combat dew formation so i might give that a shot if i manage to get out this winter.

i always carry an emergency bivy as well that's basically a foil burrito wrapper.

https://www.rei.com/product/813511/sol-emergency-bivy

I've never had to use it, but if i did i would probably get naked and wear it underneath the bag and liner since moisture can't escape and it'd get super swampy in there. with the bivy on top of everything i wouldn't be comfortable, but im guessing i could prob survive a night down to -20, -30 or so?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ROFLburger posted:

Verman posted:

So is doubling up on your insulation from the ground. Combining a closed cell foam pad with an insulated air pad will increase the insulation from the cold ground, you'll see a lot of mountaineers doing this.

My only worry with double bagging is that down (and most insulation in general) works best when the insulation (feathers/down) is lofted. When you compress that insulation (by laying on top of it, or by adding a layer on top of it), make sure its not heavy enough to compress the insulation and limit its performance. Again, its all theory in my head as I've never tried it.

there are so many more variables to consider when snow camping, but the most important is insulation from the ground. I really suggest making sure you bring two pads (I would suggest 1x foam snd 1x air, as suggested above) if you want to get any sleep.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

my bags are:

REI helios long 55 degree bag, its a blanket with synth stuffing and tbh fantastic for summer camping
REI nooksack long """"10 degree"""" bag. maybe, once, but its been beat to poo poo and is cold at 30. i want to replace this one with a quilt
western mountaineering fukkin thicc, ancient goosedown bag that i dont know the rating on, but its a foot and a half tall sitting on its own. 0?

also the sierra club sent me a really nice ~5 by ~3 compactible fleece blanket despite not ever having given them money and thats a nice thing to line a tent bottom or wrap your shoulders with.

e: silk liners imo don't do anything but 'protect' your bag from your gross body. which come to think of it, if you want to wear all your clothes for warmth might not be a bad idea

Chard fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 16, 2020

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

In my opinion its worth getting bags in 20 degree increments. I myself have a -10F, a 20F, a 40F, and a cheap Amazon synthetic blanket that cost me $20. The big thing to remember is that the listed degree ratings on bags are almost always the survival rating, not the comfort rating.

Before I paid a ton of money for my -10F bag I would bring my 20F and 40F and double them up, occasionally bringing my cheap blanket as well. That plus two sleeping pads on the ground got me down to -20F at times. But I am looking forward to not having to lug that much around this winter camping season. The bulk more than anything became cumbersome.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I have a 50deg synthetic quilt (only weighs 13oz) that I use for ez summers in SoCal. I have a 20deg down quilt I use for pretty much everything else. I can layer them for deeper winter stuff.

SOMETIMES I wish I had a 40deg synthetic, but rarely. I can usually just sleep in my fleece/down jacket if it dips below 50 a little.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I ended up getting a The North Face "One bag". Haven't had it out in proper cold yet but man, it's a nice piece of kit. Worked great as a summer sack with the synthetic top. Used the fairly wide down top as a quilt in the hammock. Can use down for colder, or down+synthetic for even colder. Roomy as hell too. Not the lightest (partially because it uses two zippers along the entire length) but a really nice, flexible bag for a decent price.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Mont bell makes some awesome bags too. I used a spiral #3 rated to about 30f last weekend and was good at 30f wearing a t shirt and shorts. They are having a clearance sale right now, but their stuff is still rather pricey.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I end up always using a cotton liner. I got it for the temperature boost but I really use it mostly because I'm usually pretty sweaty and gross camping and it's so much easier to clean.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah for my nice winter bag I use a liner as well. Less for warmth more for keeping my oily gross body away from the bag fabric.

If anyone here is interested in winter camping and looking for a good way to keep your head warm sleeping at night I would highly recommend the Timmermade Waterbear hood. I use it winter camping and its wonderful. Keeps my head warm sleeping and I wake up without a super sore throat from breathing in all that cold dry air. I also think it helps a bit with condensation. I havent gotten a chance to use it with my new winter bag by him but am really looking forward to it.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

What's the latest word in women's daypacks? I got my wife a super cheap little pack off Amazon but it's not great and the chest strap sits rather uncomfortably with any load. We've been interested in picking up a better pack to hold a few liters of water and some food and maybe a jacket for our day hikes, but with Covid we haven't exactly been window shopping a lot. Any specific recommendations to look into brand or model wise?

e: thanks for the replies, Osprey will likely be where we look right away - I was kind of hoping there was a cheaper REI type bag that's a good value, but for a daypack it won't even be that expensive to go for the nice brand.

e: okay still pretty expensive, but next time there's a sale...

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 20, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Osprey Tempest seems to be the women's equivalent to the Talon which is what I have. Convenient little hip pockets, clips across both the belly and the chest, lots of pockets on the outside for water bottle, water bladder, and whatever else. Water proof zipper pocket for valuables.

It's not cheap but I don't think it's extremely expensive, either. Definitely great for day hikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Rob Rockley posted:

What's the latest word in women's daypacks? I got my wife a super cheap little pack off Amazon but it's not great and the chest strap sits rather uncomfortably with any load. We've been interested in picking up a better pack to hold a few liters of water and some food and maybe a jacket for our day hikes, but with Covid we haven't exactly been window shopping a lot. Any specific recommendations to look into brand or model wise?

I really like Osprey packs and consider them sort of the gold standard for backpacks. Thats not to say you can't find cheaper bags or other brands but they're very nice and usually feature rich. Plus they support their products very well after purchase should anything ever happen to them. They make a ton of different models, capacities and almost all of their models have womens versions too.

Even for daypacks, I like hip/waist belts and some kind of structure to the back via structured foam panel or a frame. I also like external stuff pouches or some kind of straps you can secure an extra layer or jacket on the outside in case your pack is full. Hydration compatible is nice (either a clip or sleeve). Hip belt pockets are probably the next thing I would look for. I think the Tempest and Sirrus would be what I would look at in the Osprey womens line. Size can depend on how much you feel you need.