Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What effect do you think the US election will have? Specifically Biden saying he will refuse any trade deal with the UK that puts the Irish border at risk.

Probably none - Boris will just announce that Biden has 'forced his hand' into a trade deal with Russia and that the EU are being mean by not allowing the Russians to move food and medicine across their borders. Ignore the fact that the food and medicine are packed into tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1317432413224685569
Why does this pissing virus never seem to kill Tories?

Re: currency conversion, if moving your money out of pounds guaranteed a return the pound would have collapsed because every currency trader would have done it. You can certainly try and play the market, but it's gambling rather than 'securing' your money.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Didn't kill Trumo either.

It kills everyone except right wingers (yes it killed Herman Cain but he was black, the virus is also racist)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Remember it's all words ultimately so they can do what they want. The question is 'do they want to?'.

It's not all words now. It's headquarters relocation, port development, and farm crop planning. Europe is gearing up for no deal to the point where suddenly getting a deal might end up being more disruptive. Unpredictability is the deadliest threat to a business, and the EU, as a collective bargaining alliance of broadly functional countries, is trying to carve a firm, clear path forward for itself. The more that the UK blathers and procrastinates, the less relevant it makes itself to the massive machine next door.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

stev posted:

Can we get this outside every station? The good political posters are always in really out of the way cheap spots.

I think it's a 'slap it up at night' job - the fact that 'global' at the bottom has been changed means that's probably the case. I have been thinking that recently you could get away with just replacing a lot of ads - some of the tube and bus ones are still advertising films that came out in Feb, I just don't think the money is being spent on them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If you could sneak into a bus depot for an hour you could get prime advertising for an entire day before they took it off.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

If they even notice. I’ve often thought about it - I doubt there’s a person who pays attention to what each bus should have on it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Swiss Francs or Yen.

Edit: this does not constitute advice and currency trading is catching a falling knife.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh lol, bus driver and bus driver drama over everything, including who got what bus with which advertising is very very much a thing, acting like a pack of 12 year old girls is a basic requirement.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

That’s amazing and I love it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

So, does anybody have a list of no deal brexit implications? I've looked at the regular articles and the YellowHammer thing, but they are hilariously incomplete and most were done long ago. Like there are short term things that are obvious, but that shatner tweet made me realize there are gonna be 1000 lols on stuff folks didn't realize. I'm just in awe of the unpreparedness of it all.

Have another just read about. Qualifications.
In the EU there is a general rule that if you have a qualification in your own country, its accepted in all others with minimal fuss and minimal retraining if needed. Of course depends on what it is.
With Brexit, the EU doesn't have to accept UK qualifications earned after the break off if they don't want to.
So you could be a trained heavy machine driver (for example, could be anything in theory) in the UK, but can't get work in certain countries as they don't recognize it.
So you may have to retrain, or train again to get multiple qualifications for the 'same' thing.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1317465601015750656
:psyboom:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Witness a unique spatial phenomenon through which a call that a kettle is black escapes from a supermassive black hole.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Absolute disaster! No money trousered to your political donors and mates pretending to help deal with it.
How could she!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I sort of want to know in what way he thinks it's disasterous, but I also think I already know and also don't want to read a loving torygraph article.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
My own prediction, just to even things out, is that we will see the Mayes and Morales no-deal scenario, more or less:

quote:

Epilogue

It’s at least a few days before most Britons notice the effects of no-deal. Retailer stockpiles prevent any immediate shortages. A government plan to transport critical supplies of medicines, chemicals, and fuel on extra ferries is effective, bypassing the worst border logjams and limiting disruption.

In the morning Brexit meetings of companies in the U.K.’s service industries, the major worry is enforcement. CEOs ask heads of legal departments if the EU will punish routine cross-border activities such as transferring data or providing basic services. Risk officers repeatedly refresh the U.K. government and European Commission websites, anxious for answers. Smaller companies chance it, either believing they won’t be pulled up or unwilling to pay the extra cost of compliance. Much of the economy is in a legal limbo.

As holdups at the ports continue in the following days, supermarket inventories dwindle. Fresh strawberries and tomatoes run out, and prices for lettuce and cucumbers rise. Social media pictures of empty shelves go viral, sparking panic-buying. Factories schedule production shutdowns. Continued confusion at the ports hits supplies of medicines.

For Johnson, his Churchill moment has come. He gives nightly speeches from No. 10, urging calm. Brexit will be worth it in the long run, he says. “Britain,” he says for the thousandth time, “is taking back control.”

It will still take several more months after that before Tory backbenchers become concerned enough to challenge the party whip. Supply chain impacts hit the last mile first - large wholesalers and nearby retail will still see orders fulfilled but distant ones will begin to be deprioritized. For the first few weeks the pro-Brexit press will attempt to blame France for the queues and shortages but I suspect this will fail to resonate

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I sort of want to know in what way he thinks it's disasterous, but I also think I already know and also don't want to read a loving torygraph article.

Same. I can only assume it's either "private companies didn't make any money", or "she's left-wing and making powerful governments look bad, so she's going to be assassinated".

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Did some maths: if NZ's population were scaled up to match ours, our covid deaths per capita ratio would still be 129 times higher than theirs. NZ is 1 death per 200,000 people; ours is 1 per 1543. (And our death figures are almost certainly massively undercounted, at that.)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

It's so depressing seeing my dad's opinions a day or so before he develops them

The Torygraph really has gone completely over the loving cliff, hasn't it? It's as swivel-eyed as the Express now. Or was it always? It used to have a rep as a 'serious' paper

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Their economy contracted more than most.

Less than ours still but don't let that get in the way of a good whinge at the left.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 17, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Did some maths: if NZ's population were scaled up to match ours, our covid deaths per capita ratio would still be 129 times higher than theirs.

Would you like to re-read that sentence?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is still technically true, if they have the same deaths per capita they will have the same deaths per capita regardless of absolute population size.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

but what if there was only one new zealander, what then

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then that new zealander would be 1 200,000th dead.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
From the replies :lol:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I enjoy this sequence of statements:

BBC posted:

"The talks are over."

As statements go, those four words from the prime minister's spokesman this afternoon were something of a bombshell.

But Michel Barnier, due to come to London next week to continue talks, might not be unpacking his briefcase just yet.

There's no doubt that Downing Street is sending the clearest signal possible that it expects the EU to make the next move.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

As I said on Twitter, it's Blood For The Finance God, human sacrifice to make number go up (or at least ensure it doesn't go down so far & gets back to going up earlier). Human life matters less than this ghoul's financial portfolio.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And that next move is:

:shrug: "...okaaayyyyyy...?"

e: Also, it should go without saying that they'll definitely be enforcing the switchover at the stroke of midnight on Jan 1st, like the amount of bullshit they've had to take from us means they will definitely, definitely be reminding their member nations what Brexit entails from a legal perspective and that they will be expecting everyone to adhere to it from the very first second.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 17, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I've long been an admirer of New Zealand, not least for its decision, back in the 1980s, to stop subsidising and protecting its farmers and to open its markets to the world. While some farmers went to the wall, the agricultural sector as a whole boomed. But I won’t be cracking open a bottle of very fine Oyster Bay to join in "Jacinda-mania" as Jacinda Ardern almost certainly wins her second term as Prime Minister.

If I had a vote it would definitely  have gone  to "Crusher" – opposition leader Judith Collins who earned her nickname after her policy while police minister of crushing cars which had been used in illegal street racing. If Collins ever feels like throwing in the political towel back home and standing as police and crime commissioner around my way she will have my full support.

Ardern seems set for victory largely on account of the reputation she has built up for managing Covid-19. She’s a heroine not just among Blairites – she used to work for Tony Blair – but among business leaders everywhere, according to a survey conducted by Bloomberg last week. They apparently voted New Zealand as the country which has done best to tackle Covid-19. 

But why? Look at the raw figures and New Zealand appears virtually to have escaped the pandemic. To date, it has had 1,880 cases and 25 deaths. At five deaths per million inhabitants it works out at less than one percent of the death toll in Britain. What did Ardern do to achieve this? Nothing, really, much different from what Boris Johnson’s government did. Having tried a bit of social distancing advice first, she closed bars and restaurants on March 23, two days after Boris did. New Zealand went into full lockdown on March 25, the day after Britain.

The only thing that New Zealand did but which Britain didn’t was to close its borders, which it did on March 19. Maybe we should have tried that, too, but it would hardly have had the same effect in Britain. By the middle of March the virus was well set in Britain, or at least London. It had come here, before it was even known to exist, via skiers returning from Italy and Austria, and via hundreds of flights from China.

New Zealand has got off lightly from Covid 19 not because it has an earnest leader in a trouser suit but because it is a global Isle of Lewis – the outer Hebridean island which hadn’t suffered a single Covid death until this week. Britain, by comparison, is Piccadilly Circus. We can’t cut ourselves off in the way that New Zealand can, situated as it is a thousand miles from the nearest other country, and self-sufficient in food. Moreover, once the virus was in Britain it could spread far faster on our crowded tubes and buses than it could in New Zealand’s less dense urban areas.

Yet for squashing Covid-19 flat, Ardern’s New Zealand has paid a terrible economic price. In the second quarter GDP fell by 12.2 per cent. That’s smaller than Britain’s fall, but it is a horrendous collapse considering the far lighter footprint of coronavirus in New Zealand. The economy has been impacted in this way because of the heavy-handedness of lockdown restrictions. In August, while the UK economy was tentatively reopening, Ardern threw Auckland, her capital city, back into a full lockdown over just four reported cases.

There’s nothing to admire in that. It is sheer panic, taking the precautionary principle to absurd new heights. Ardern’s problem now is how, having isolated her country from the rest of the world, does she ever open it up again? If an effective vaccine does emerge in the near future – far from a given – she might yet come out of the pandemic looking wise. But if, as is arguably more likely to happen, the Covid crisis eventually dies away due to a combination of better treatments and herd immunity, she will have to keep New Zealand’s borders closed until the very last, as hardly any of her citizens will have built up immunity.

Ardern’s second term could prove to be a very long, and not very prosperous, few years.   

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Ardern’s problem now is how, having isolated her country from the rest of the world, does she ever open it up again? If an effective vaccine does emerge in the near future – far from a given – she might yet come out of the pandemic looking wise. But if, as is arguably more likely to happen, the Covid crisis eventually dies away due to a combination of better treatments and herd immunity, she will have to keep New Zealand’s borders closed until the very last, as hardly any of her citizens will have built up immunity.

"egg on her face if loads of her people DON'T die" is quite the take

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Yet for squashing Covid-19 flat, Ardern’s New Zealand has paid a terrible economic price. In the second quarter GDP fell by 12.2 per cent. That’s smaller than Britain’s fall, but it is a horrendous collapse considering the far lighter footprint of coronavirus in New Zealand.

What's a small paradox when you have an economy to save?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I "enjoy" the highly creative way of saying "the economy got hosed less and people didn't die" by suggesting that new zealand is just magically immune to covid and the economic damage was entirely unrelated to people not dying.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Would you like to re-read that sentence?
Yep, realised that right after I went out walking the dogs, too late to correct it. D'oh!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

josh04 posted:

What's a small paradox when you have an economy to save?

That's one hell of a Captain Hindsight take.
You could have opened up much sooner, you hosed up haha!
Now excuse me, have to don my hazmat suit and rush to the shops before curfew starts.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Private Speech posted:

I enjoy this sequence of statements:

Like flipping the board over in a chessgame and then whispering to your opponent "that means it's your turn".

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

What did Ardern do to achieve this? Nothing, really, much different from what Boris Johnson’s government did. Having tried a bit of social distancing advice first, she closed bars and restaurants on March 23, two days after Boris did. New Zealand went into full lockdown on March 25, the day after Britain.
This argument only makes sense if you think timing of response should be measured against the arbitrary point on the calendar, rather than against the timeline of local pandemic spread.

But he later even admits that the UK was ahead of NZ on that.

quote:

By the middle of March the virus was well set in Britain, or at least London. It had come here, before it was even known to exist, via skiers returning from Italy and Austria, and via hundreds of flights from China.

So Arden's government did act earlier than Johnson's, not "two days after".

Also, the virus was known to exist back in Dec and known to be spreading in Jan. Sure the ski season was open for a short while n Dec before "it was even known to exist" but I'm fairly certain the best estimates are still that it hadn't spread to the European ski resorts and onto the UK until much later.
Just straight up lying about that isn't it?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

jabby posted:

Like flipping the board over in a chessgame and then whispering to your opponent "that means it's your turn".

But yeah, there's no chance the EU are budging on the "same minimum standards, ratcheting upwards" point, and it seems unlikely the UK will agree to it, since they want to be wild west pirates in a racing car to the bottom in a chariot race against the US's food standards, amongst other things

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

Also, the virus was known to exist back in Dec and known to be spreading in Jan. Sure the ski season was open for a short while n Dec before "it was even known to exist" but I'm fairly certain the best estimates are still that it hadn't spread to the European ski resorts and onto the UK until much later.
Just straight up lying about that isn't it?
It may have been in Italy as early as December, but not in enough of the population to really be a threat to ski tourists unless they're licking the fixtures at communal washrooms (I don't know what ski tourists get up to).

They correct date for Britain to act would have been around February 4th, when the WHO said "hey everyone needs to think about acting."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't let facts get in the way of a feelgood story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

the switchover at the stroke of midnight on Jan 1st

It's 11pm on Dec 31st, in the UK.

The whole thing is run on EU time, which should have told everyone where the power is.