Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i get that the lesson of the episode is supposed to be 'small kindnesses done out of ignorance and privilege can lead to tragedy' but putting both these stories together without having elaina pay it forward in some way in the second one feels really off, like the show has abstained from making a clear point and just comes off as "poo poo happens i guess"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Like someone else said the anime changed a few things from the novel that kinda muddies the point. Plus it led with two two pretty simple stories rather than the usual tone, so it comes off extra jarring.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tales of Woe posted:

i get that the lesson of the episode is supposed to be 'small kindnesses done out of ignorance and privilege can lead to tragedy' but putting both these stories together without having elaina pay it forward in some way in the second one feels really off, like the show has abstained from making a clear point and just comes off as "poo poo happens i guess"

The second story really should have been a full episode. I get what it was trying to do, but it's a story that really needs subtlety and time to let everything snowball to the finale to make it actually land.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
In defense of Elaine (and for the record as an anime-only), she seems to come from a pretty pampered background and this is literally her first time out in the world. Alone. Also, from the previous episode, as powerful as she might be she can still be blindsided and is kinda clueless at things not related to magic. I really doubt she can show up somewhere, do whatever she wants and then leave without consequences. And the whole situation clearly rubs her the wrong way, she knows it is wrong but has no idea what to do. If this was the story of an older character then yeah she hosed up, but she is just a kid.

Also the line at the end makes is pretty clear that she is still bothered by it. She has to live with the consequences of what she does (even inadvertently, like in the first half) and what she fails to do (second half).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

After sitting on it for a day, I think what might irritate me the most might actually be the stinger of the first part of that majotabi episode. The stinger presents it like there's a zombie apocalypse bearing down on hapless civilization when the novels just have Elaina see one person in the distance carrying a bouquet that may or may not be of the cursed flowers and ending on an ambiguous, unsettled note. The whole Plant Zombie Apocalypse doesn't even make much sense in context with the rest of what we're told about the cursed field - it's not trying to expand or conquer the world or poo poo, it's basically a big evil pitcher plant trap trying to lure in food to immobilize and consume. Dramatically changes the feel of the story from the novel.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 17, 2020

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Season 2 of Science Fell in Love announced https://twitter.com/comic_natalie/status/1317344613112320000?s=20

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love that she's not even in the show or anything but if Yuuma Uchida stars in something...

https://twitter.com/maaya_taso/status/1317435294489038848?s=20

... somewhere nearby his big sister (literally the first tweet to appear on the "More Tweets" section) has to show up.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This season has piqued my interest after a bit of a break. Both Akudama Drive and ... whatever Zuerst seem up my alley, with first episode throwing you into some bizarro world which seems intriguing. Though Akudama introducing the cast in dumb title cards felt extremely forced. Liking the world building in both so far, though Akudama Drive's seems definitely more forceful. Maybe they'll end up being bad shows but definitely a strong start for both.

Jujutsu Kaisen is probably good but seems like extremely stereotypical and boring shounen to me. While I'm at it is there some sort of traditional, maybe pre-war student dormitory/school? type/architecture in Japan? The second episode's dormitory seemed very reminiscent of some other sources of media I've seen.

Elaina and Moriarty are probably good shows as well but drat it's hard to give them a pass and give a poo poo about (superficially?) a cute show and Japanese depiction of Britain or whatever.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

elaina is definitely not a Cute Show, its a kino no tabi style storytelling/travelogue thing

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i give moriarty more leeway than it probably deserves because i like the idea of a secret war against what is arguably the most evil nation in the history of the world.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm really enjoying Akudama Drive. The animation is movie-grade loving gorgeous and it's balancing its over-the-top stupidity with a good self-set internal logic rather than just pulling random poo poo out of its rear end. Well, except maybe the afterburner on the Bus, and that was just loving awesome. I really hope this show goes the distance and doesn't run out of budget or something.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

So, I checked out Magatsu Wahrheit after seeing a fair number of you give it positive buzz, and it's actually pretty neat. There ~are~ a fair number of interconnected moving parts -- in the first episode alone, we are introduced to:
  • a prophecy about the return of an ancient city-destroying monster, which relates to the fact that
  • the number of monsters around the countryside have been increasing, which means that
  • small arms and artillery have been proliferating throughout cites and towns, but that is concerning because
  • the rate of violent crime has been increasing, leading to
  • discontent among the various nobility of the empire, and that's bad because
  • the protests by the citizenry have escalated to outright rioting. Perhaps they are being manipulated by begrudged nobility? Which brings us to
  • radical elements of the populace banding together to form an armed terrorist organization, which forces
  • the state (a Stuart-style monarchy?) to call in its army to act as an additional police force, which is suspicious because
  • the Diet seems to be getting their way all of the time. Is the king their puppet? All of this sets up
  • the events of episode 1 and so on...
I admit, I am a bit skeptical. Normally, anime that try to juggle this many interconnecting pieces end up falling apart at the seams. But the first episode was directed pretty well. It's characters have laid out a good emotional struggle right from the get go, without it feeling forced or unbelievable. Hell of a cliffhanger to end the first episode on. If the crew can pull this off, without succumbing to dangling plot threads, inconsistent world building, bizarre character choices, meaningless escalation, etc, then this will be great! Otherwise, it might end up Plot Soup™. I'm in.

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 18, 2020

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I was pleasantly surprised by how good the first ep was! I genuinely did not expect the courier to be a co-protagonist, and thought he was just a throwaway character in service of the new cop trainee.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's based on a mobile game so I'm not sure how many threads might turn out to just be nods to the source material.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Squidster posted:

I was pleasantly surprised by how good the first ep was! I genuinely did not expect the courier to be a co-protagonist, and thought he was just a throwaway character in service of the new cop trainee.

I'd say he's even the more compelling protagonist, so I hope he gets plenty of screentime. Also, lol at yet another character whose main foreshadowing that he's evil is that he's voiced by Kenjiro Tsuda. He's the vocal equivalent of a spiky wardrobe and a red-and-black paintjob.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the guy has a ridiculously distinct voice and has been typecast as psychotic sleazebags, but he did play the main character if ID: Invaded a few seasons ago, and the worse he did was challenge a serial killer to a fistfight and then pull out a gun when he started losing

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Talentless Nana is fun, as as people have said has a stellar opening episode. I can absolutely believe people when they say it gets stupid fast (even after 3 episodes the setting basically falls apart if you think about the implications for more than five minutes, and I don't see how they can keep the premise going for even one full season without some deeply contrived bullshit) but for what it is it's super fun and scratches the Future Diary itch for deeply silly, over the top edgy shounen.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Where are people watching Sleepy Princess? Is it up on any legit sites right now or no?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

Where are people watching Sleepy Princess? Is it up on any legit sites right now or no?

Funimation according to Senpai.moe

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

funimation has it

this page can be useful https://www.senpai.moe/?season=fall2020&mode=calendar
though sometimes a show is on two sites and it only lists one of them

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
idolish7 has the strongest hijinks eps of any anime i've ever seen

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1317960669900140544/pu/vid/640x360/JYKexgY_cvkc33p5.mp4

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

squark this is the type of interchangeable scene seen in about every harem anime ever

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
the drunk singing, stolen pudding, and mistaken cat identity parts are harder to clip........

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Talentless Nana is fun, as as people have said has a stellar opening episode. I can absolutely believe people when they say it gets stupid fast (even after 3 episodes the setting basically falls apart if you think about the implications for more than five minutes, and I don't see how they can keep the premise going for even one full season without some deeply contrived bullshit) but for what it is it's super fun and scratches the Future Diary itch for deeply silly, over the top edgy shounen.

The answer to why the setting does not fall apart, is lots and lots of lies. Quite a lot of things being said are lies, or at the very least deceptive.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Yashahime Episode 3: Holy poo poo Moroha keeps stealing the show, she's seriously the best

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Moroha being the brains of the trio was kinda of out of left field but makes sense in that she very much feels like a child of Inuyasha and Kagome

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Moroha being the brains of the trio was kinda of out of left field but makes sense in that she very much feels like a child of Inuyasha and Kagome

She's a demon bounty hunter, so I'd expect her to know some stuff about weapons and demons. I'm more surprised that Setsuna doesn't know that much

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

the guy has a ridiculously distinct voice and has been typecast as psychotic sleazebags, but he did play the main character if ID: Invaded a few seasons ago, and the worse he did was challenge a serial killer to a fistfight and then pull out a gun when he started losing

Yeah, I know, but they were totally using his voice as advance warning in Magatsu for how nasty the squad leader would turn out to be, just like Appare-Ranman did a season ago with the character he voiced there.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know which goon said that when he does that voice the characters he voices sound like "they're having a psychotic episode" and he honestly has honed that "barely restrained psycho fuckhead" down to a science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7fU7p3mA0I&t=49s

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spiritus Nox posted:

AnimeLab has it as well in Australia.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Spiritus Nox posted:

Looks like it's not one of the one's that's also on Hulu, that's annoying.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i incorrectly remembered 1m lives as being more comedic in tone. instead, it is just edgelord poo poo.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Talentless Nana and Moriarty the Patriot are fairly different shows but they can not help but make me hoot and holler

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My fave thing about Moriarty is just how "William" managed to worm his way into the Moriarty family: it was nothing more than a whim of charity, a bunch of rich nobles competing in an inscrutable game over charity, demonstrating who could virtue signal harder. The Penieres probably exploited and abused their orphan just as if not more than the Moriarties ever did, whilst reaping the social rewards for their actions.

But WIlliam caught a lucky break, and all three of them are totally down with the plan.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm liking that she's clearly kind of dumb, but she actually has memories of the relevant stuff (ie she hasn't been living in the future for a decade and wasn't mindwiped five years ago). But it wouldn't be a Takahashi story if everyone wasn't at least somewhat emptyheaded.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Some thoughts. Head somewhat empty. :shobon:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Some thoughts. Head somewhat empty. :shobon:

And thus, the biography of Wark concludes,

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Moroha has her mother's charisma but her dad's brains

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Xelkelvos posted:

it's a powerful combination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't know. She's definitely reckless like Inuyasha, but she's pretty knowledgeable about weapons, demons and curses. She was even able to figure out that Towa and Setsuna are Sesshomaru's.kids based off their scent