Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Those machines though, you just put in a coin and turned a knob. There was no competitive element. You got a prize out of it but you just felt a bit empty :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/joe_armitage/status/1317539444694618115
What more can we do to drive down demand for tests and takeup of the app?

I know, automatically report people to the police if they do either!

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Jedit posted:

We are no longer looking at Yellowhammer. That was the expected scenario, rebranded by the Tories as the worst case scenario after it leaked. The worst case scenario of No Deal with no preparation, which is the scenario we are in, is much worse, and even their projected case for that has been exceeded due to COVID-19. You should expect anywhere between 300,000 and 1 million excess deaths in 2021.

Ugh. No, not this depressing reality stuff (I realize it's really bad :( ). I want stuff like that the Duke of Marmalade won't have cucumber marmalade (made in Alsace by fragrant monks) for his marmalade jamboree and will lose title to the Marmashire as per the treaty of Toastington.

happyhippy posted:

Have another just read about. Qualifications.
In the EU there is a general rule that if you have a qualification in your own country, its accepted in all others with minimal fuss and minimal retraining if needed. Of course depends on what it is.
With Brexit, the EU doesn't have to accept UK qualifications earned after the break off if they don't want to.
So you could be a trained heavy machine driver (for example, could be anything in theory) in the UK, but can't get work in certain countries as they don't recognize it.
So you may have to retrain, or train again to get multiple qualifications for the 'same' thing.

Beyond transport, how common is this? I could imagine this being an issue for medical staff, but I don't know how common it is for UK workers to work or live (not retire) in the EU. I dimly recall that they worked something out for airlines, right?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

crispix posted:

I refuse to get married until I find a partner who will be happy to wear his and his big multicoloured plastic rings with whistles on like you used to get from those machines outside Happy Shoppers

they went whhhooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uboKn-Lm5cA

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

I refuse to get married until I find a partner who will be happy to wear his and his big multicoloured plastic rings with whistles on like you used to get from those machines outside Happy Shoppers

they went whhhooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jaysus, you need to lower your standards a bit!
We all can't have trophy partners like this now.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/joe_armitage/status/1317539444694618115
What more can we do to drive down demand for tests and takeup of the app?

I know, automatically report people to the police if they do either!

If you want to go all China-style authoritarian then at least do it right and make people get tested or be fined so there's no way out. It's still going to work better than whatever shitshow they have going on now.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Beyond transport, how common is this? I could imagine this being an issue for medical staff, but I don't know how common it is for UK workers to work or live (not retire) in the EU. I dimly recall that they worked something out for airlines, right?

It probably wont affect much, as its 'in theory'. Depends on how pissy the country wants to be really to protect their own job sector against the UK.
The airlines is still being worked out at the moment, googled the news and there are a few 'UK flights may be grounded with no deal' scare stories with no substance.
I can see that being worked out, as its important for both UK/EU. Flight paths and times may be reworked though.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

jabby posted:

This... just... what?

He's saying it's a big economic fall considering they didn't have many covid deaths, which is bad?

In order to justify that economic damage, they should have had more deaths?

I just don't know what the gently caress, it's word salad.

Externalities? In my market :monocle:? I think you'll find that if they had simply ignored these and opened themselves up to the same risks as us... and internalised them.... then... their gdp would...... uhhhh.....

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

If you want to go all China-style authoritarian then at least do it right and make people get tested or be fined so there's no way out. It's still going to work better than whatever shitshow they have going on now.

I mean I'm doing locum work right now, so I only get paid if I show up. I'm also likely to be low risk of catching covid having already had it. I also work with Covid positive patients, and spend a lot of time in or near hospitals.

So what's the incentive for me to get the app? I'm already maxing out my risk by being near genuine, certified positive patients while I'm at work. During work hours I'm meant to pause the app, so apparently I'm only at risk when I'm off the clock? But if the app happens to ping me I have to isolate for two weeks (for a third time) with no pay. Or I could just not get the app.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

jabby posted:

I mean I'm doing locum work right now, so I only get paid if I show up. I'm also likely to be low risk of catching covid having already had it. I also work with Covid positive patients, and spend a lot of time in or near hospitals.

So what's the incentive for me to get the app? I'm already maxing out my risk by being near genuine, certified positive patients while I'm at work. During work hours I'm meant to pause the app, so apparently I'm only at risk when I'm off the clock? But if the app happens to ping me I have to isolate for two weeks (for a third time) with no pay. Or I could just not get the app.

Staff at at least one big Trust have been given written instructions from their CEOs that they must not download or use the app under any circumstances.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Cassette Boy and a new Covid song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISxL-3GSKVA

Prob already posted, but just found this randomly suggested to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Plausible deniability again.

I mean it actually makes sense for medical staff because we need all of them that are available and their entire jobs revolve around interacting with but trying to mitigate the risk. Less so the cops.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It actually did help me get an emergency phone charger for my hospital bound friend so I am not feeling that much antipathy.

Essentially it's just a normal retail store except the front is very small and the warehouse is very large and you are not encouraged to drift around it yourself crashing into displays and giving people covid.

If anything more stores should be like argos. It's also how screwfix works.

Lots more shops used to work on that principle too - most of the catalogues used to have a retail arm like that, but Argos concentrated on dry goods exclusively on the fairly solid principle that clothing, which was the majority of the other catalogue stores business, is much more fiddly to sell either by mail order or from a catalogue store.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lots more shops used to work on that principle too - most of the catalogues used to have a retail arm like that, but Argos concentrated on dry goods exclusively on the fairly solid principle that clothing, which was the majority of the other catalogue stores business, is much more fiddly to sell either by mail order or from a catalogue store.

From what I gather it was broadly the normal mode of operation for a store once upon a time, you would have a counter and you would ask the shopkeeper for stuff and they would get it and bring it out to you. As described by the famous documentarians R.W.G. Barker and R.B Corbett.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I absolutely hate the New Zealand covid response, because all my friends there keep posting stories of themselves enjoying ski season, gigs, restaurants and bars whilst my visa application sits in limbo

Perhaps I should write an opinion piece

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

Well yeah in the context of the half-assed poo poo the govt is doing it's completely counter-productive. It doesn't help combat the virus, and will drive down uptake of the app for all the reasons you've already mentioned. For the record my dept concluded that it was pointless (since our only exposure would be at work and it would have to be paused) and so I don't think any of us have downloaded it.

Hypothetically though being very heavy handed about it could work if your aim was to gain control of the virus, people's welfare be damned. Mandate that everyone has to have the app or you get fined, fine/arrest anyone who doesn't self-isolate or breaches quarantine orders, and enforce everything rigorously. Much of Asia is doing this to a greater or lesser degree.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

From what I gather it was broadly the normal mode of operation for a store once upon a time, you would have a counter and you would ask the shopkeeper for stuff and they would get it and bring it out to you. As described by the famous documentarians R.W.G. Barker and R.B Corbett.
Yeah, this was one of my nan's bugbears about how things are now (now being the early 90s and 00s). "They complain about all this shoplifting, well why don't they put everything behind the counter like they used to do and the shopkeeper's assistant goes in the back and finds it. It's because the supermarkets are cheap and lazy now, they want the customer to go round doing all the work. They'll have us doing our own checkout next."

Strange that that's not one of the gammon's "we need to return to imperial lightbulbs and the noose" complaints, I guess it's because it's more from the era they claim to have lived through rather than the one they did.

Funnily enough, our village hardware store has gone back to this model because of covid, they've moved the checkout desk to right near the door and just get things for you, which works much better because they know where things are in their labyrinthine shop, everyone always ended up asking where things were.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The other point is that linger time in store increases the probability of you impulse buying something, or your kids seeing something they want and badgering you for it. So while I'm not entirely sure if it saves effort (given picking stock for online would likely be much easier in a warehouse) it does perhaps facilitate needless consumption.

It is helpful to think of shopping in a physical store as being forced to wander through advertisements for everything in the store before you can finish shopping.

I suppose that also applies to hardware stores but for a quite specific kind of Tool Dad.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 17, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've just read an article about beleagured brexit supporters in towns rife with poverty hoping their fortunes improve with Brexit.

And it's like, FFS how loving dumb do you have to be to believe that?

e: I suppose it's more uninformed than dumb, but still, that's dire.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 17, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we wave the flag and vote tory hard enough, the rains will come and our crops will prosper this year.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Private Speech posted:

I've just read an article about beleagured brexit supporters in towns rife with poverty hoping their fortunes improve with Brexit.

I think that's incredibly sad more than anything

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be sadder if they weren't inflicting it on the rest of us, as it is it's far more annoying than sad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The other point is that linger time in store increases the probability of you impulse buying something, or your kids seeing something they want and badgering you for it. So while I'm not entirely sure if it saves effort (given picking stock for online would likely be much easier in a warehouse) it does perhaps facilitate needless consumption.

It is helpful to think of shopping in a physical store as being forced to wander through advertisements for everything in the store before you can finish shopping.
Yeah. She wasn't the type of person who shopped like that at all though, so through her lens it was making her push a trolley around when you could just ask the assistant to bag it up, so it was more of a moral issue of their laziness and cost cutting rather than a moral issue of their forcing people to take the longest and most inconvenient route because :capitalism:

Maybe we'll start moving more to online due to the pandemic, but back in the 90s when she was reflecting back on the 40s that would have meant ringing up to enquire about a cauliflower and that wouldn't have worked.

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose that also applies to hardware stores but for a quite specific kind of Tool Dad.
Yes, if you want to wander around and go 'ooh' at some power saws, you go to B&Q. If you want 2x ¾" BSP tee valves, 5m of 125mm rigid ducting, a 13A socket and a backbox and you want it now, you go to screwfix, and if you want a thing, kind of a thing to dig the weeds up, but not a hoe, the other thing, you go to the village hardware store and the guy knows exactly what you mean and where one is, which is why I think it works better moved to the behind the counter model.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did like the couple of interactions I had with a friend's villages's hardware store, where yes "Hello I was wondering if you have any metal files so I can fix the gate" was quickest and easiest.

I would happily have wandered around and looked at the mole grips though.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Ugh. No, not this depressing reality stuff (I realize it's really bad :( ). I want stuff like that the Duke of Marmalade won't have cucumber marmalade (made in Alsace by fragrant monks) for his marmalade jamboree and will lose title to the Marmashire as per the treaty of Toastington.

There Will be Adequate Marmalade (for dukes).

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

OwlFancier posted:

It would be sadder if they weren't inflicting it on the rest of us, as it is it's far more annoying than sad.

this is Thatcher's fault, not the northern paups

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Continuity RCP posted:

This is perhaps a disconnect I have with some thinkers on the subject but I personally find myself wondering at what point people just... are horrible twats? Like you can (and I do) take the position that they were probably made into horrible twats by society, but at some point it's still what they are and they still gleefully run around and inflict it on other people.

Like if you shot all the politicians tomorrow that group of people would try very hard to recreate them and the things they do, they are a malevolent force in the world even if the malevolence is a reflection of their environment.

You could equally suggest that it isn't thatcher's fault it's the society that produced thatcher and that would be accurate as well, but if you are prepared to say she was poo poo I don't really see why you should stop there, the world is full of lovely people.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Continuity RCP posted:

I'm a northern paup and I somehow managed to throw off the shackles of fate and not vote for self-harm

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also that, being one it is particularly galling when other people in better positions than me are just massive shitheap people.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Well yeah in the context of the half-assed poo poo the govt is doing it's completely counter-productive. It doesn't help combat the virus, and will drive down uptake of the app for all the reasons you've already mentioned. For the record my dept concluded that it was pointless (since our only exposure would be at work and it would have to be paused) and so I don't think any of us have downloaded it.

Hypothetically though being very heavy handed about it could work if your aim was to gain control of the virus, people's welfare be damned. Mandate that everyone has to have the app or you get fined, fine/arrest anyone who doesn't self-isolate or breaches quarantine orders, and enforce everything rigorously. Much of Asia is doing this to a greater or lesser degree.

Yeah, the lynchpin is madating people get the app though. Or show ID when they go anywhere. Alternatively, you use the carrot approach and pay people's wages when they're self-isolating.

They way they're doing it now, you have to opt-in to contact tracing and there are no possible upsides short of a vague feeling of doing something good. And the downsides involve massive loss of cash.

Either way it's all academic, we could have the best test and trace system in the world and we won't dig ourselves out of our current hole without another strict lockdown.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

OwlFancier posted:

This is perhaps a disconnect I have with some thinkers on the subject but I personally find myself wondering at what point people just... are horrible twats? Like you can (and I do) take the position that they were probably made into horrible twats by society, but at some point it's still what they are and they still gleefully run around and inflict it on other people.

Like if you shot all the politicians tomorrow that group of people would try very hard to recreate them and the things they do, they are a malevolent force in the world even if the malevolence is a reflection of their environment.

You could equally suggest that it isn't thatcher's fault it's the society that produced thatcher and that would be accurate as well, but if you are prepared to say she was poo poo I don't really see why you should stop there, the world is full of lovely people.

I think it's that you try and look at peoples lived experience, examine their stated line of reasoning, what they value and in what order, which seems to be the main bit honestly it's usually a hierarchy of good/okay things that start to get a bit incompatible with other peoples hierarchies of good/okay things, and more often than not people just... aren't horrible twats? There's usually enough common ground that cooperating on the shared things is possible and that shared process would alleviate enough root causes of the actual tensions/create enough solidarity and shared purpose that we'd all just muck along through the small things in the hypothetical better world.

That said there absolutely are horrible twats out there. There are absolutely people who are clearly only motivated by gently caress You Got Mine, or even more pathetic by gently caress You Might Be Able To Get Mine If I Cuck Enough, and if base greed no matter the wider harm is what drives someone then gently caress them they can't be on the team. Same 100% goes for people that once you cut through the arguments are motivated by racial or religious supremacy. And honestly it's a recent thing but authoritarian clout-chasing bullies that cloak themselves in this really thin veneer of principle are drifting out of 'eh we all like to feel important sometimes' to horrible twat territory too.

There is a really difficult thing of someone being imperfect because their society produced them and if they are allowed to keep being a bit poo poo then they will reproduce those same societal conditions though.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Private Speech posted:

misinformed

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

How much people are to blame for their actions versus how much they are shaped by society is basically an insoluble philosophical problem.

The best thing to do is ignore the question of how much drug addicts/criminals/politicians/horrible assholes/etc. are to blame for their actions, and instead focus on what observable evidence tells us is the best way to improve things, including changing their behaviour. Unfortunately that's an extremely difficult thing to do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am more inclined towards sympathy for addicts/criminals etc because I find their suffering and actions easier to understand.

I am disinclined towards sympathy for the right wing bastards because I do not understand them and the only way I can imagine them changing their behaviour given how political beliefs spread across age in this country is for them to die.

Statistically there appears to be a large cohort of people who have had lives and opportunities I would literally kill to have, and all they do with it is work to make everyone else's life worse in every conceivable way. There may be some tragic story of why that is but at the end of the day it's still seemingly what they are, and I still just want rid of them. I am still entirely out of patience for them.

I don't believe people are born assholes, I don't believe being an rear end in a top hat is inherent to humanity, I don't believe a cooperative society is impossible because it is contradictory to human nature, but god loving help me I don't see how we can have one while people like that constitute a large plurality of the population.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 17, 2020

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

I am more inclined towards sympathy for addicts/criminals etc because I find their suffering and actions easier to understand.

I am disinclined towards sympathy for the right wing bastards because I do not understand them and the only way I can imagine them changing their behaviour given how political beliefs spread across age in this country is for them to die.

Hear, hear.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I am disinclined towards sympathy for the right wing bastards because I do not understand them

I mean, this is the same reason they don't have sympathy with you. Walk a mile in my shoes etc. might be trite but it's true.

The problem is that right-wing bastards are more likely than anyone to focus on blame rather than doing what the evidence says. Blame criminals for rising crime numbers, blame poor people for being poor, blame addicts for using drugs, etc. etc.

You can even see it in Boris's response to having coronavirus: he blames himself for being overweight, he's said it multiple times. His mindset won't allow him to believe he fell ill through no fault of his own, because then it means everyone who gets ill isn't at fault. And that sort of thinking leads to giving them sick pay. So it has to be down to his bad choices somehow because then everyone who died must have made bad choices too.

I struggle with it myself, like I know logically taking everyone involved in the refurbishment of Grenfell and putting them in front of a firing squad probably wouldn't help because the evidence says harsh punishments don't deter criminals. At the least it would only be as effective as making sure they served time in a decent rehabilitative prison, and probably less so. But if the choice was actually put in front of me, it'd be tough not to start collecting blindfolds and cigarette preferences.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There are plenty of people in the world who are genuinely really caring and put a lot of thought and effort into trying to make the world a better place.

Unfortunately, they don't tend to rise to the top of this scum-filled pond, so the only ones we ever seem to hear from are spiteful cunts whose sole driving motivation is trying to make sure that if everyone in the world has to be miserable, they'll at least be the least miserable one.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

My fella bought me some earrings I figure you'd guys appreciate.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

OwlFancier posted:

Statistically there appears to be a large cohort of people who have had lives and opportunities I would literally kill to have, and all they do with it is work to make everyone else's life worse in every conceivable way. There may be some tragic story of why that is but at the end of the day it's still seemingly what they are, and I still just want rid of them. I am still entirely out of patience for them.

I don't believe people are born assholes, I don't believe being an rear end in a top hat is inherent to humanity, I don't believe a cooperative society is impossible because it is contradictory to human nature, but god loving help me I don't see how we can have one while people like that constitute a large plurality of the population.

This was a funny paper from earlier in the year: http://davidyyang.com/pdfs/revolutions_draft.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think that flat earth video summarized it well, in terms of "trying to hammer the world flat."

There's your real cunts, of course, the ones who would sit and weigh coins over, as in jabby's Grenfell example, 20p/m2 price differences in cladding vs. people's lives, but the people that believe things that are equally stupid and obnoxious, like "I voted out because of all the blacks coming over from Europe" are trying to wedge their unease about society into a model that gives a simple but wrong answer like "you are worse off because there are African people here" and a simple but wrong solution "and you can send them all back by leaving the European Union."

As to whether you can get them out of that or they're in a pit of their own (and the tabloids') making, depends on the person.