Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

ddiddles posted:

I need something to do that isnt a computer so I bought some books.

For some reason going to school in Idaho they never really bothered with making you read anything, so I'm trying to read the stuff you were supposed to growing up to try and stop my brain from deteriorating so fast.

All of Dumas’ work (and a lot of other works that are out of copyright) are on project Gutenberg (Gutenberg.org) for free in a variety of electronic formats if you have a kindle or other electronic reader fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

1redflag posted:

All of Dumas’ work (and a lot of other works that are out of copyright) are on project Gutenberg (Gutenberg.org) for free in a variety of electronic formats if you have a kindle or other electronic reader fyi

Thanks for the tip, I went with the paperback so I could take them camping and not worry about charging anything.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Gutenberg mostly has bad translations though, because the translations need to be public domain too, not just the original. So for translated works you should double check if the Gutenberg is fine.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Humerus posted:

Gutenberg mostly has bad translations though, because the translations need to be public domain too, not just the original. So for translated works you should double check if the Gutenberg is fine.

You know, I hadn’t thought about that wrinkle before. Now it makes sense why all the foreign-origin novels I’ve read from there (e.g., checkov, Tolstoy, dumas, 1001 nights, morte d’arthur etc.) have translations from the late 19th early 20th centuries.

Also, to the OP, yes, definitely understand buying physical copies still (I do the same, too), just wanted to put the option out there in case it was beneficial to you/others.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

mcbexx posted:

It's so cool to go pooping

I just want to preserve this from the previous page as one of the most incidentally funny combinations of words I have ever read in my life.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Jeza posted:

but does it make you sound old-timey?
:heysexy:
Gonna pipe these silky tones all over the ham waves. Nothing but the finest PA equipment for this guy

Dick Trauma posted:

S36?

Approves.

Yup! S36 with CR20

Ok, both of those posters and color schemes are especially good :allears:

Bottom Liner posted:

bought this big heavy thing

Is this to track the neighbor’s wife celestial objects with a telescope?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

OSU_Matthew posted:

Is this to track the neighbor’s wife celestial objects with a telescope?

yep. this was a test shot from the back yard near Orlando. was hoping to get down to a dark site this weekend for the new moon but its 100% cloud cover here right now so it'll have to wait to do some real exposures.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought some oat flakes because I was hungry.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bottom Liner posted:

yep. this was a test shot from the back yard near Orlando. was hoping to get down to a dark site this weekend for the new moon but its 100% cloud cover here right now so it'll have to wait to do some real exposures.

Goddamn you can see that from your backyard? :wth:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can see the Andromeda with the naked eye in good conditions (low light pollution, waning/new moon). It's one of the brightest objects in the night sky! The tracker mount just lets the camera rotate with the polar axis to counter the Earth's rotation and keep the objects steady for long exposure times. It's an incredibly simple device (literally just rotates at a set rate) once you get it pointed at the right place.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
New old camera, I got lucky with an eBay auction after watching it all week, only paid $22 shipped

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Caracalla denarius:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s pretty amazing you can capture the colors on that! I haven’t seen colors in the sky since visiting the local observatory, but thanks to covid that’s not happening this fall :(

Instead, I spent some money on a new ultrawide monitor from Costco, so I can have more screen real estate for work:

Also recently bought and installed a new faucet for the kitchen:

The old faucet was small and made to connect to a portable dishwasher that I replaced with a permanent unit. Having a tall faucet is a really nice quality of life upgrade.

I needed a second rack for the gf’s bike, so I bought a vertical bike rack that may or may not be terrible:

And because I love neat rocks I picked up some some Fulgurite (petrified lightning)

And a few pounds of uncut Thundereggs (agate filled geodes)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Thank you for your sacrifice.

I just checked that they have a few different kinds on ebay so I'll just roll the dice and order a couple of different ones. Though I don't have the lamp yet either so this might be a bit premature. When it arrives though it should go nicely with my ThinkPad collection.
The lamp is here! Or rather I'm back home to check it out, it arrived a day before me.

(also in frame is the Steelcase Please chair I got a week before the lamp)

I guess I didn't realize how enormous it is, but it actually works out perfectly for my desk. I can keep the base in the corner and position it to pretty much anywhere I might need, even down to where the old lovely lamp is. The light is very warm especially when you dim it a bit, so I'm glad I ordered some LEDs already. It's in pretty good condition but one of the rivets holding the vertical post is loose and so it's a bit flimsier than it should be. The seller didn't mention anything about it unfortunately, though maybe it happened during shipping.

Anyway, while it's a bit more than I wanted to spend, it's pretty cool and genuinely more functional than other lamps I've seen. I definitely need to get rid of the white monitor though, it's ruining the vibe.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Bottom Liner posted:

Tell me about this stuff. I've always been interested in astrophotography and that galaxy shot is wild. I've already got a nice camera, and having only snapped some shots of planets with my big chungus Sigma ultra telephoto I could see myself getting real weird with it. What gear am I looking at, entry-level? Is there a thread for this?

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 20:41 on Oct 21, 2020

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

Tell me about this stuff. I've always been interested in astrophotography and that galaxy shot is wild. I've already got a nice camera, and having only snapped some shots of planets with my big chungus Sigma ultra telephoto I could see myself getting real weird with it. What gear am I looking at, entry-level? Is there a thread for this?

Might be a good start - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Also this dorkroom thread which isn't specifically about astrophotography.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

You can do a lot with just a tripod and long lens (or a wide lens for landscape milky way shots). The main things you need, in order of importance:

patience - You have to wait for clear skies and a new moon a lot of times, so your shooting time is heavily limited. You're also going to be standing around for hours in the dark while your camera takes a ton of photos. I recommend beer and podcasts or an ereader.

dark skies - light pollution and moon are factors

sturdy tripod

fast lens - f/2.8 or better

star tracker - allows for multi minute exposures

post processing knowledge - you can follow tutorials on youtube

You basically need to capture a lot of frames with as much light data as possible via iso/fast lens and long exposure times. 70-200 2.8 is what I'm using and what a lot of photographers use for this stuff if they're not using telescopes. After you get all your images you use stacking software to combine all of them into one frame and reduce noise and then process it from there like a raw file.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ddiddles posted:

For some reason going to school in Idaho they never really bothered with making you read anything, so I'm trying to read the stuff you were supposed to growing up to try and stop my brain from deteriorating so fast.

Nice! I got No Country recently myself. There was a bookstore in LA that posted about their financial issues because of the virus so me and my GF went down and bought some poo poo.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

How do those curved monitors do for gaming? I play a decent amount of random ish, nothing high tech. Would love to have a single monitor do the work of two.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The good ones have multi inputs to do split screen like two monitors which is nice

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I played a drifing simulator on one and it was loving dope

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

(also in frame is the Steelcase Please chair I got a week before the lamp)

I guess I didn't realize how enormous it is, but it actually works out perfectly for my desk. I can keep the base in the corner and position it to pretty much anywhere I might need, even down to where the old lovely lamp is. The light is very warm especially when you dim it a bit, so I'm glad I ordered some LEDs already. It's in pretty good condition but one of the rivets holding the vertical post is loose and so it's a bit flimsier than it should be. The seller didn't mention anything about it unfortunately, though maybe it happened during shipping.

You've made me really appreciate the fact I simply inherited one when my parents moved, and since that LED I bought failed completely I moved it directly onto my desk and have been using it with the halogen a bit more often. You're right it gets super hot, so I'm very interested in what LED works for you if you wouldn't mind following up once you pick a best one.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

I needed a second rack for the gf’s bike, so I bought a vertical bike rack that may or may not be terrible:

Huh, I'd be interested to hear how this turns out. I'm like 95% sure it's gonna sway like a $4 Christmas tree but it would be cool if it didn't.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

ddiddles posted:

A Prayer for Owen Meany is my favorite book. When my mother-in-law’s dog chewed up the mass market paperback copy I lent her (that I stole from my high school), she bought me a first edition hardcover which must have been hard to find back then before eBay had everything. Definitely a nice upgrade.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Wife and I picked up a set of these excellent lowball glasses.

And similar-ish and similarly excellent set of mugs

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

Love both of these.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ReidRansom posted:

Very cool! Along tackier lines, I recently bought a buncha of tiki mugs, because I’m a responsible adult who can totally be trusted with a credit card and never impulse buys poo poo that seems like a great idea when they’re drunk

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Naw, you good. I have a friend who has probably 500 bucks of Star Wars Tiki mugs.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

djfooboo posted:

Naw, you good. I have a friend who has probably 500 bucks of Star Wars Tiki mugs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Those are excellent.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dick Trauma posted:

Those are excellent.

Agreed, looks like I found the place selling them thanks to Google reverse image search:
https://www.schoolhouse.com/products/amber-glass-mug

But..28 for A SINGLE mug? That's an unreasonable price. It doesn't say set, so...probably pass, I'll just keep scouring thrift stores and yard sales and find ones that are close enough for like $.50.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Dick Trauma posted:

Those are excellent.

I liked them too, or at least their analog I found in a home decor shop some time ago. The tag said 35 bucks and I just quietly put it back on the shelf, not bothering to ask if that was for a set. Wouldn't want to look like the filthy poor I am.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good news! I liked them as well but I noticed that the site said they were made in China and not some artisan snowflakes and indeed it looks like you can get the same mug from aliexpress for a fraction of the cost.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb201603_

E: Found a better option, they don't seem to have the saucers but now even the poors can get one or two: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...4%2316062%23239

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 13:03 on Oct 23, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Taste the toon!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
An air conditioner:

Seems like a silly time to get one now, at least here in the northern hemisphere, but my state and local utility have rebates that expire at the end of 2020 for ultra-energy efficient models like this one, so a $400 AC turns into a $100 once I get the rebate checks.

Add in a 5% cash-back offer for buying it w/ a Discover Card and that functionally lowers the price to $80 (well, I guess a little more cause I have to pay tax on the original purchase price, so...$112, I think, after all is said and done?)

And this model is neat because of that "U-shape" in the middle, you can actually open up and use the window after it's installed so if it's not that hot a day/night you can do that.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Got these so I'm not juggling my phone against my ear while I'm taking calls. They're drat good, but my only problem is that my ears are weird and I can't consistently get a good seal. So I also grabbed these:

These were highly rated by numerous sites so I'll give them a whirl and see if they help with maintaining a good seal.

I also checked the Critical Role shop on a whim yesterday and saw that they re-stocked their out-of-stock pops, so I grabbed 3 of those:

And while I was going to pull the pictures to post here, I got an e-mail from Neoncity Records about an album that was just released, so I grabbed this:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Taste the toon, not the lead!*

*Actually maybe the lead too

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DrBouvenstein posted:

An air conditioner:

Seems like a silly time to get one now, at least here in the northern hemisphere, but my state and local utility have rebates that expire at the end of 2020 for ultra-energy efficient models like this one, so a $400 AC turns into a $100 once I get the rebate checks.

Add in a 5% cash-back offer for buying it w/ a Discover Card and that functionally lowers the price to $80 (well, I guess a little more cause I have to pay tax on the original purchase price, so...$112, I think, after all is said and done?)

And this model is neat because of that "U-shape" in the middle, you can actually open up and use the window after it's installed so if it's not that hot a day/night you can do that.

Those things sell out when it gets warm, you're better off getting it now tbh.