Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Paradoxish posted:

A de facto shutdown relies on the media playing up the current situation, which they largely have not been doing. Local news channels here are barely mentioning that fact that a handful of schools shut down nearly every day. They've technically been reporting on increase positivity rates, but only with massive caveats that try to make it sound like it's not that bad. And this is in a state that's been pretty okay about all of this.

People in charge are really counting on the idea that this can all just be memory holed for at least a few months so that there's not enough panic to keep crushing the economy.

My point was that a de facto shutdown will occur when enough workers contract the virus that businesses can't stay open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think it's the latter. I typically go grocery shopping after my shift, and groceries have the same mask mandate we have for restaurants (until you sit down to eat/drink/yarfk particulates all over your friends). Compliance is effectively full at the grocery, with the occasional dude with his schnoz peeking out above the mask.

I wonder if there's a filtering effect happening where the "maybe it won't be bad! I'll be careful!" people are slowly getting too freaked out to go out anymore, and it's just leaving the true chuds behind. I know a few people who broke down over the last few months and decided to go out and do things, and then ultimately decided that they were just wildly uncomfortable being in those environments and it wasn't worth it.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

In the pipeline guy thinks coronavirus reinfections are not a total catastrophe:

quote:

Immunity and Re-Infection
By Derek Lowe 14 October, 2020

For months now, people have been watching closely to see if it’s possible to get re-infected with the coronavirus. It’s taken a while for the signal-to-noise to get better, but by now there’s no doubt that the answer is yes, it’s possible. We’ve just had the first of these in the US, a man in Nevada who was infected twice six weeks apart, with the second round being worse than the first. And in the Netherlands, the first fatality from a reinfection has been reported. All this sounds immediately like bad news, but I’m going to break out the same advice I was handing out yesterday: don’t panic.
So the situation, for now, seems to be that yes, re-infection is possible. But it’s also quite rare. There are surely cases that we’ve missed, but it’s clearly not something that is happening much. We’re dealing with the fact that the human immune response is hugely variable from person to person – that’s one of its key features. Different people are going to raise different levels of different populations of different antibodies to a coronavirus infection, and that’s a big reason why the clinical course of disease is so variable. Even in these documented reinfection cases, we don’t know the details about what their first immune responses were like (there was no reason to profile these people in such detail the first time!)
It's an interesting point, that the highly variable severity of the disease in different people might also imply similarly variable levels of immunity. Claiming it's rare seems optimistic though, some poster here put it well in stating that it's not clear if the currently observed reinfections are just a fairly rare phenomena or the leading edge of a massive gaussian distribution of reinfections.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think it's the latter. I typically go grocery shopping after my shift, and groceries have the same mask mandate we have for restaurants (until you sit down to eat/drink/yarfk particulates all over your friends). Compliance is effectively full at the grocery, with the occasional dude with his schnoz peeking out above the mask.
Sorry, that sucks. Seeing people eating outdoors in NYC is bad, but I can sort of understand why some people think it's safe esp given all the misinformation from various levels of govt. Indoor dining seems crazy right now and I can imagine the only people going for it are dangerously, terminally misinformed or full COVID denialists. Also maybe people who recently got over COVID and are hoping to enjoy their 3-month window of probable immunity. Maybe you'll see Trump there!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

hah jokes on them I hit my max out of pocket and just going to the doctor for the gently caress of it take that asses

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

In the pipeline guy thinks coronavirus reinfections are not a total catastrophe:
It's an interesting point, that the highly variable severity of the disease in different people might also imply similarly variable levels of immunity. Claiming it's rare seems optimistic though, some poster here put it well in stating that it's not clear if the currently observed reinfections are just a fairly rare phenomena or the leading edge of a massive gaussian distribution of reinfections.
I mean we really don't know yet, so it's definitely possible that most people will have immunity longer. On the other hand, there haven't been that many confirmed reinfections. On the requirements for getting confirmed as a reinfection might mean that there are more that we're not aware of. I think he's right that we shouldn't panic, but unless we can get a vaccine soon, reinfections may start to become more of a problem.

mystes has issued a correction as of 00:59 on Oct 18, 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1317616762976829441

No too bad for NSW

In Melbourne Dan's presser is about to start and will announce what restrictions are being eased for Victorians.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Melbourne opening er up annoucements with five cases over the last three days:

Now:

- no time limit for leaving house, up from two hours
- 25km travel limit, up from 5
- can get a haircut with mask on
- time limit for exercise scrapped
- outdoor gatherings of 10 people from 2 households
- tennis, skateparks, golf allowed
- hairdressers opening
- auctions allowed
- house renos allowed
- allied health (whatever that is)

Nov 1:

- Can leave home for non essential reasons
- retail opens
- hospitality opens with capacity limits
- outdoor venues can open with 25% capacity

Was speaking way too fast but those are the big ones.

https://twitter.com/DanielAndrewsMP/status/1317619488779481089?s=09

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 01:26 on Oct 18, 2020

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Paradoxish posted:

I wonder if there's a filtering effect happening where the "maybe it won't be bad! I'll be careful!" people are slowly getting too freaked out to go out anymore, and it's just leaving the true chuds behind. I know a few people who broke down over the last few months and decided to go out and do things, and then ultimately decided that they were just wildly uncomfortable being in those environments and it wasn't worth it.

the following is dine in OpenTable reservations, year over year, averaged by week, for each state:

definitely see the beginning of open r up in May, but that completely halts and even backslides a bit in June. But by July we're eating in more and more until the end of August and now we've just been hovering around -40% of usual

if you're wondering what states are consistently seeing more volume than last year, the answer is Rhode Island. All of that is Rhode Island. i have no idea why, except maybe they don't want to be alive in RI anymore?

the far and away most closed down state is and remains Hawaii

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I just spent $15 for express shipping on a phone case cause I didn't think I could travel 15km to pick it up yet doh.

Standard shipping is overwhelmed at the moment.

25km for me means I can visit everything but farms pretty much.

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 01:36 on Oct 18, 2020

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fosborb posted:

the following is dine in OpenTable reservations, year over year, averaged by week, for each state:

definitely see the beginning of open r up in May, but that completely halts and even backslides a bit in June. But by July we're eating in more and more until the end of August and now we've just been hovering around -40% of usual

if you're wondering what states are consistently seeing more volume than last year, the answer is Rhode Island. All of that is Rhode Island. i have no idea why, except maybe they don't want to be alive in RI anymore?

I feel like anyone out and about doing 'normal' things has to have covid on their mind at every single second and is just performatively pretending it's fine for whatever reason. I just can't understand how anyone is comfortable being in a restaurant without a mask on

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fosborb posted:

this is a really cool graph, thank you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

at the end of the day, if you love graphs, youre gonna love COVID.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1317576909329436676?s=20

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

That we know of.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/DanielAndrewsMP/status/1317619488779481089

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

I feel like anyone out and about doing 'normal' things has to have covid on their mind at every single second and is just performatively pretending it's fine for whatever reason. I just can't understand how anyone is comfortable being in a restaurant without a mask on

Well we have to live our lives, and if I get it I get it, and for most people it's pretty mild like the flu or a cold. I had this bad cough back in February and I have a feeling it was actually covid before they knew it was spreading. Do you guys want to split some sweet potato fries?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Basically it sounds like other than the 25km limit we're just doing what most other cities/countries were doing for months as of Nov 1. But we'll have virtually no cases. I'll take it.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Nocturtle posted:

I think he is making a fairly dumb point as there is no systematic testing to quantify amount of reinfections, merely to document that they exist. With limited resources for running genetic sequencing, that means specifically targeting cases for testing that have a clear: sick, not sick, sick pattern. Now he seems to think that it is rare, because there are so many cases and so few documented reinfections, but that is a bad way to look at it. Let's have a look at the Nevada case, when he first got tested positive (April 18th) there had been a total 3626 cases in Nevada, at the time of his second diagnosis (June 5th) there had been 9309 total cases. He is one out of only 5683 additional infected since his first diagnosis in a state with a population of over 3 million. That is either one unlucky dude or a person with extremely risky behavior.

Now the thing is we wouldn't actually expect a lot of reinfection cases, even if there was zero immunity granted, because as poo poo as things seem now the percentage of total population that has been infected is actually quite low. And not only does it seem to grant some immunity, but we would also expect people that have been infected once to be exhibiting less risky behavior (not just because getting COVID-19 sucks to get, but because of the longer term debilitating effects).

I kinda read his post as if he is working from a perspective where the Nevada case just happened, instead of the paper documenting it just being published.

Edit: Just to quantify it a bit and with some caveats. If we assume the numbers from Nevada are correct and we assume a completely random dispersal of infections (this is obviously not the case, but nevertheless), with an additional 0.18% of Nevada's population being infected between his first and second diagnosis and 3626 initially infected, we would expect to see just 6.69 people reinfected in Nevada.

That is assuming the standard length of immunity is no higher than the 6 weeks as in the case, if it is higher the expected number of infected would be lower.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 02:27 on Oct 18, 2020

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

If you believe 300,000 have died in the US so far, isn't 1/1250 basically the national average?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's not the 20% hospitalization rate and a third to half of those die after getting blown up like balloons disease we thought it was in March but Jesus Christ Australia has the answer, knock out down by paying everyone to stay home, then chase the remnants around city to city until vaccine.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

PerniciousKnid posted:

If you believe 300,000 have died in the US so far, isn't 1/1250 basically the national average?

Yep

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

would probably get better adoption if the NSA FBI and local police hadn't made it exceedingly obvious that they use apps like this to track people and stick them with rioting charges when they dare go to a protest

and yeah i know this app supposedly doesn't actually track people and uses bluetooth for proximity alerts or w/e but good luck getting people to actually believe that

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1317640289490661376?s=20

:france:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hon hon hon

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

They really should stop announcing these ahead of time, just do it on the day

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

lol imagine needing a curfew, stupid frenchies

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Judakel posted:

they message them specifically as Last Weekend of Fun bonanza's so they don't piss off business owners.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Judakel posted:

It's intentional. They're giving business owners a handout because idiots like Macron believe they can compromise with a virus.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Apparently 55 New Zealanders snuck into Melbourne the second they could travel to Australia. It was supposed to be Sydney/Darwin only.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

meanwhile MS is doing much, much worse than this and nobody cares

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i care

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

you see how that guy at the end of the video got a burger? he's going to eat it with a fork and kinfe. not like just cut it in half, but his hands will not touch the burg at all, just cut it up in to small pieces and eat them one at a time with the fork. this is how the french eat burgers i'm not making it up

edit: and they eat asparagus with only their hands, no silverware at all

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

I heard covid crisis is over.. Congrats everybody we did it!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Paranoid Peanut posted:

I heard covid crisis is over.. Congrats everybody we did it!*

*Offer only applies in some countries.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Apparently 55 New Zealanders snuck into Melbourne the second they could travel to Australia. It was supposed to be Sydney/Darwin only.

why?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

They’re probably Melburnians or have family there.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Gio posted:

i care

nobody

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

This is gonna kill a minimum of one in a thousand people in the country before all is said and done (probably a lot more than that) and it's remains mind blowing to me that the chud line of 'we just have to learn to live with it' is something that tens of millions of people believe.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

where do they expect people to hear about these apps they're supposed to download? are they taking out facebook ads or tv ads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Thoguh posted:

This is gonna kill a minimum of one in a thousand people in the country before all is said and done (probably a lot more than that) and it's remains mind blowing to me that the chud line of 'we just have to learn to live with it' is something that tens of millions of people believe.

Yeah, that's assuming the government immediately starts doing the best things it could do to stop the spread and help people. At this point "100 times worse than 9/11" is a hilariously optimistic scenario.