Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
My bike came, and I've been rambling around with it a few weeks now. The stock headlight is pretty dinky, 100 lumens definitely won't cut it for me. I'd like to get a replacement that also fits on the fender mount and wires into the battery, is there anything I should know or look out for when shopping for lights? I could make things simple and strap on a handlebar mounted one, but I want to keep the bars clear if I can, plus the wired connection works off the controller which has a sensor or something that clicks it on automatically, which I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can't help you with setup that wire into the battery. But if you want the cheapest and brightest light, go to Amazon and search "8.4v bike light".

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

My bike came, and I've been rambling around with it a few weeks now. The stock headlight is pretty dinky, 100 lumens definitely won't cut it for me. I'd like to get a replacement that also fits on the fender mount and wires into the battery, is there anything I should know or look out for when shopping for lights? I could make things simple and strap on a handlebar mounted one, but I want to keep the bars clear if I can, plus the wired connection works off the controller which has a sensor or something that clicks it on automatically, which I like.
Do you have a 6-12v output for lights or do you need something that runs off of full battery voltage?

I like the dynamo version of the B&M IQ-X and they make an ebike version. If that is too expensive it is worth taking a look at Axa.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Most e-bike lights work from 6V and up. If you want something really shiny get a STVZO light, it'll have a sharp cutoff so you can blast the road without blasting oncoming traffic.

The cheapest lamphead with good power, stvzo and a remote for high-beam is probably the lezyne e550 but i've got no experience with it.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 28, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Weekday ride after work

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How many cables are at the front, and what are they for?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Write your congresspeople to include ebikes in any electric vehicle subsidy, folks. If we're actually committed to fighting climate change by electrifying transportation for the average person, a $1500 electric bike discounted to $750 is going to be vastly more accessible to the broader public than a $30k automobile discounted to $25k (to say nothing of more environmentally-friendly). Would also expand the constituency for bike infrastructure.

I've been tempted to get the Rad Runner Plus since they announced it as I've fallen for the advertising featuring cute couples on the bike. But, especially during the pandemic, I can't justify it as 100% of my day-to-day needs are a short walk away.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ha! I was wondering why my ride1up ebike had a picture of a tv on the box. https://www.businessinsider.com/dutch-bike-company-tvs-on-boxes-2016-9

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

Write your congresspeople to include ebikes in any electric vehicle subsidy, folks. If we're actually committed to fighting climate change by electrifying transportation for the average person, a $1500 electric bike discounted to $750 is going to be vastly more accessible to the broader public than a $30k automobile discounted to $25k (to say nothing of more environmentally-friendly). Would also expand the constituency for bike infrastructure.

I've been tempted to get the Rad Runner Plus since they announced it as I've fallen for the advertising
First part, strong agree.

Second part: I really recommend test riding a bike with torque sensing before settling on a bike with on/off PAS.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

Sweden did that and had good outcomes and of course they let it lapse unfunded. Did the electric car incentives ever go unfunded? gently caress no

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Can I get stories about replacing a battery and mount? I want to get a spare battery for my Evelo Compass but it looks like it's $800 for a single 48V/10.5Ah battery. I'm trying the company directly but I didn't see it one their site. I have two concerns. First is that I actually don't have that much room. I'd be in the style of those rear rack batteries. Second, it's using a 4-prong connector that I don't really recognize.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I thought the compass could take 2 batteries to begin with?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

evil_bunnY posted:

I thought the compass could take 2 batteries to begin with?

Yes it does, but it only comes with one. Getting a second one is $800 bucks and that's just for 10Ah.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Have to put that project on hold for what should be a more trivial problem. My fat bike's rear tire got punctured. My mom had a patch kit from her mountain biking day that I went to try on it. The tube of cement had all evaporated and just a bunch of air came out of it when I opened it. So I got some tire slime cement (and also some new patches). With the tire patched, I reinserted it into the tire and starting inflating. At around 15 psi, it completely burst and is now wrecked. So that was fun.

I vaguely recall somewhere that you have to particularly pay attention while inflating a fat bike tire because their size really lend themselves to crimping up. It all looked okay so I'm not sure what else to do. All I can think of is to inflate a little, dribble the tire around a little, and then inflate some more, then repeat a few times.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
At long last, my ebike should be arriving and fully assembled by the end of next week, just in time for my birthday! I'm very excited to ride it around because the weather recently has taken a turn for the fantastic.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I vaguely recall somewhere that you have to particularly pay attention while inflating a fat bike tire because their size really lend themselves to crimping up. It all looked okay so I'm not sure what else to do. All I can think of is to inflate a little, dribble the tire around a little, and then inflate some more, then repeat a few times.

You don’t want to trap the tube between the bead of the tire and the rim. I think that’s relatively easy to avoid on fat tires. If you wanna avoid having the tube fold in on itself, you can try putting extra talcum powder on the tube before putting it in.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

aldantefax posted:

At long last, my ebike should be arriving and fully assembled by the end of next week, just in time for my birthday! I'm very excited to ride it around because the weather recently has taken a turn for the fantastic.

What did you get?

My "backup" Inmotion L9 is coming soon too.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
R&M Charger 3 with the belt drive and high speed motor. I guess they need to build it by hand in Germany before shipping it out? Something like that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Goodness, that'll be a lot of fun. Take pictures when you get it!

After 500 miles, the Selle Royal saddle that came with my bike made A Noise on my way back home the other day.

I ordered a different SR saddle to replace it. We'll see how much I like it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Regarding my fat tire tube, what I think I did in retrospect was overinflate while prepping the tube before getting the tire fitted back into the frame. That's speculative because it burst on the outermost edge instead of along the rim. I don't know. I didn't exceed the psi at that point.

Now I have to ask about bike shopping. I had done a whole lot of research for my own bike purchase, but now I'm looking into a bike for my mom for Christmas. She needs a step-through frame and is pretty short. When we were messing around with seat height for her on our trike, she came in around 28". I have to get her actual height and maybe inseam to be sure. So it looks like I'm looking for an electric bike with a 750W motor, a 10+Ah battery, a suspension fork of some kind (I know she'll put it on a trail because she used to mountain bike all the time), and a good cargo capacity for the odd trip out.

I would love to get her a Bolton Sabre (probably show up after Christmas) because it would be similar to mine. However, I think it's too high up. The fat tires particularly don't help there. I'm contacting them for details just in case.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Picture time.

edit: There was another picture here, don't worry about it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 27, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
No hiking? Why would they ban the activity thats least likely to spread the virus?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

No hiking? Why would they ban the activity thats least likely to spread the virus?

Dunno if it's anything like the UK but during lockdown tons of people flocked to popular tourist areas. It was a big problem because car parks ran out of space so people were just dumping their cars in narrow roads, also as the toilets and shops were closed people were just making GBS threads in the woods and pissing in the streets. Also, littering everywhere. Campsites were also closed so people were camping next to roads and/or going to popular places and just starting loving fires on the grass and once again making GBS threads/littering everywhere and not cleaning it up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

However, I think it's too high up. The fat tires particularly don't help there.

Any decently designed bike accounts for its default tire size when setting the height of the bottom bracket (and thus pedals) off the ground.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I assume they just don't do hiking it has nothing to do with the virus.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

Because assholes were assholes, and hiking is only safe when trails aren't at 400% of rated capacity.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

kimbo305 posted:

Any decently designed bike accounts for its default tire size when setting the height of the bottom bracket (and thus pedals) off the ground.

There's still some general limit there. Like, let's imagine we're trying to make a bike for a six-year-old using a 26" fat bike tire. You'd have to wind up with something that's more like a chopper or a recumbent for that to work.

I mostly typed this so I could make somebody else visualize a six-year-old riding a huge fat tire bike like a three-patch biker.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's also suggesting someone set out to make a child's bike with a 26" wheel, which would be a fool's errand even with a skinny tire.

Edit: How would your mom feel about a Radrunner? Seems to fit most of your criteria aside from having front suspension, and suspension isn't *required* for basic trail riding.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Safety Dance posted:

Edit: How would your mom feel about a Radrunner? Seems to fit most of your criteria aside from having front suspension, and suspension isn't *required* for basic trail riding.
Radpower bikes were something I was considering but I think she would be happier with the suspension. A "trail" here means "four-inch-wide strip of dirt with an exposed, soft-ball-sized rock every fifteen feet." I have to take a spin off the road on my own bike for certain parts and I debate whether to use those tracks or go through the grass right next to it. The grass is usually better! However, that's not a choice on the dedicated trails when there's trees all around them.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just get an extra seat post suspension, you are thinking too hard for this. If you take fat tire out of your requirement, most step thru have front suspension.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

:argh:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Good lord that drivetrain is gross.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

It's winter and it's a work bike. Not enough time to pretty it up when you use it every day for 5 hours

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Bolts fell out, sheared off, or some of both?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

CopperHound posted:

Bolts fell out, sheared off, or some of both?

I think one failed, maybe cracked off?, then the rest seem to have sheared off. They're grade 12.9 bolts and stronger than the ones it came with so it's annoying they'd fail but they've been in there for 2 years. I'm just gonna have to remember to replace them occasionally.

It's quite lucky I know someone with an entire workshop in his shed so he can drill them out (probably) and if all else fails I can replace the bit the bolts go in.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Are you using your bike for uber eats? Just curious.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

Are you using your bike for uber eats? Just curious.

Deliveroo!

It's all basically the same thing really but I have done uber and just eat too but they both sucked a bit more than deliveroo.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 22, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

It's winter and it's a work bike. Not enough time to pretty it up when you use it every day for 5 hours

Wouldn’t that warrant even more frequent maintenance?

Is that chainring a special part, with that offset?

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Radpower seems to be incompetent or tone deaf with their customer service so I might cancel my wagon order in favor of something like a tern gsd?

Ordered early September, was told “shipping October.” Got an update earlier this month that said it was “On Track” and got an update today that simply said “we have no status updates”

Either their supply chain is so hosed up that they have no power over their suppliers or their customer service has never had to update someone about an ECD before. Woof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

marmot25 posted:

Radpower seems to be incompetent or tone deaf with their customer service so I might cancel my wagon order in favor of something like a tern gsd?

If you can swing the difference, you absolutely should.