Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Achmed Jones posted:

this reminds me- is Ursula leguin actually good at writing?

very much so imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I read cat's cradle recently and it was good

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the bike manufacturer's wife who keeps talking about hoosiers was a great character

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
idk why but Cats Cradle is my favorite Vonnegut book.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

this reminds me- is Ursula leguin actually good at writing? like on the spectrum of [heinlein, Asimov, mieville, banks-jemisin, bradbury*], where does she fall?

*ok yes there's a huge gap between banks/Jemisin and Bradbury, cut me some slack and also recommend me authors who go in the gap

She's extremely good, although I think for the most part the Earthsea books as a whole are her most polished works. She has been very influential as well, multiple other books contain "Ansibles" and the first part of Ancillary Justice is one big homage to her.

She consistently does this thing where she juxtaposes strange and alien things to the everyday - the opening paras of the left hand of darkness are a good example.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

indigi posted:

Octavia Butler goes in that gap I think

I read one of her books the other day and it was both pretty well written (for sci fi) and had an awful lot of weird sex stuff (not that the ideas weren't interesting - ideas about power and consent were obviously very important to her)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
big tittie ork babes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
big battlefleet goth gf

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

haveblue posted:

big battlefleet goth gf

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

rotor posted:

idk why but Cats Cradle is my favorite Vonnegut book.

mine is probably mother night or breakfast of champions.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bluebeard 4 lyfe

also thanks for the recs!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

She's extremely good

There's also an interview with her where she describes the Harry Potter books as juvenile, derivative, and surprisingly mean-spirited, which makes me love her even more

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

There's also an interview with her where she describes the Harry Potter books as juvenile, derivative, and surprisingly mean-spirited, which makes me love her even more

lol if oyu've read another book

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
harry potter is british of course it’s mean spirited

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the one loving train that consistently runs on time in the british isles and a bunch of kids that could literally magic themselves to their boarding school insist on hogging it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

bump_fn posted:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

bump_fn posted:

at the end of ww2, the uk was able to get a shipment of bananas for uk children, a very rare treat what with rationing, world war, etc.

famed english literaturist evelyn waugh proceeded to eat the three bananas his family was given in front of his children, because the children wouldn’t appreciate them as much as he would

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Evelyn Waughrio

Yes you have no bananas

edit: lol I promise I'm not actually a Greatest Generation or whatever, making a joke based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes!_We_Have_No_Bananas

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

the one loving train that consistently runs on time in the british isles and a bunch of kids that could literally magic themselves to their boarding school insist on hogging it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Evelyn Waughrio

Yes you have no bananas
hmm. more interested in hearing from evelyn maughrio, or possibly evelyn waughluigi

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lmao yes

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I just watched Arachnophobia and it holds up. about halfway through I realised the spider scientist was the dude from Warlock, so I'm watching that now.

anyone got any recommendations for horror movies?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I just watched Arachnophobia and it holds up. about halfway through I realised the spider scientist was the dude from Warlock, so I'm watching that now.

pumpkinhead

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I've always liked Warlock because they somehow pulled off an occult wizard version of the terminator

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SmokaDustbowl posted:

carnival of souls

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

there’s always time for another rewatch of ALIEN (1979)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/blendogames/status/1317928977600716801

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
oh poo poo does anyone else remember this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fXK8LYrF2k

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

oh poo poo does anyone else remember this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fXK8LYrF2k

barely.

not surprising that it's only available as vhs rips of tv recordings

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I really enjoy time travel stories, not like technical ones, but like the concept of being thrust into a world you totally don't understand. the thing is we're literally in the future now, not even a apocalypse would surprise us that much. we have the scientific knowledge so it's hard to think what futuristic thing could phase a currently living person if they got zapped forward in time. lol does this make any sense?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I really enjoy time travel stories, not like technical ones, but like the concept of being thrust into a world you totally don't understand. the thing is we're literally in the future now, not even a apocalypse would surprise us that much. we have the scientific knowledge so it's hard to think what futuristic thing could phase a currently living person if they got zapped forward in time. lol does this make any sense?

futureman was an interesting take on this i guess

it kind of did the idiocracy thing but that future tv execs were dumber than anything

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's like if an old timey person came to our future and was wondering about cars, you could just simplify and tell them it's powered by a small windmill or water wheel and they'd get it. if we were all told we lived in a computer simulation like some Culture poo poo, most people would be like "oh, the matrix"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i feel like cheap, instant transportation would lead to a radically different world than anything we could expect

sure, some scifi authors have played around with the idea, but authors of the past also played around with the idea of ubiquitous instant communication, yet the world we actually live in is still rather alien to them.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

i think if there was technology that allowed you to instantly and/or easily change your physical appearance (whether hologram snapchat filter or surgery or w/e) then there’s lots of olds/terfs now who would lose their entire drat minds

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

that said, it is a very good question you have there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my favorite dumb time travel thing is the set of questions posed by:

people A and B are in a relationship. married, loving, whatever

person B travels back in time from the future to the present day and attempts to bang person A while present day person B is out at work

is it cheating? is it ageism? is it everything above?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jabor posted:

i feel like cheap, instant transportation would lead to a radically different world than anything we could expect

sure, some scifi authors have played around with the idea, but authors of the past also played around with the idea of ubiquitous instant communication, yet the world we actually live in is still rather alien to them.

oh you should watch st:disco 3x01

if you like how

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nobody should watch std

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

nobody should watch std