Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Man who has fashioned a career as a critic does not understand the least subtle show in human history

https://twitter.com/_flowerguardian/status/1317401691076124673?s=21

How does this loving doughy pantload have any fans at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
MovieBob is a conservative stereotype of a "liberal" media critic come to life.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Brownies kind of are disgustingly sweet and sickly and cloying, I assumed that's the point of them.

I hate brownies

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

MovieBob is a conservative stereotype of a "liberal" media critic come to life.

This is true but “The superheroes in The Boys represent people who criticize Marvel” is a take that only he could conjure.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I really like beer and I’m not a great fan of cider though. I know it’s entirely possible to make great, drinkable IPAs at a reasonable ABV and I wish more brewers would do it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/dashwallkick/status/1201831428029173760?s=21

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I thought the beard was "manly Russian hero" but what do I know.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

kecske posted:

maybe they met one of those people who try to pronounce acronyms as words
that is quite literally what makes an acronym distinct from initialisms in general. "IPA" is an initialism, pronouncing it "eepa" makes it an acronym.

also re: virtue signaling: if anything it's time to point out vice signalling, like anyone going out of their way to buy goya products

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

StillFullyTerrible posted:

i've never eaten organ meat, i'm not sure where this is coming from

Oh sorry, that wasn't a jab directed at you, I was making a joke at the expense of the "only eat meat" guy featured earlier in the thread and his liver milkshake monstrosity.

EDIT: Referencing this

Mak0rz posted:

:same:

Anyway look who's finally back from what I assume was a week-long toilet break
https://twitter.com/cryptodemedici/status/1317129028151742467

hooman has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Oct 18, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shithouse Dave posted:

I’m really tired of IPAs being 7+ ABV. I am a small person and I like to hang out over beers for a while but I don’t like being overly smashed. Also not a fan of the alcohol heat and phenols that come through high ABV IPAs. High alcohol beers have their place for sure, but IPA should be at least somewhat sessionable. 5.5 - 6.5% is the sweet spot for me.

You could just have annoying opinions about pilsners or something instead of IPAs. There's a huge variety of different beers to act like a douchebag about other than IPAs.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Skwirl posted:

Why the gently caress don't I get paid for having terrible opinions?

Good news, he won't be anymore.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bony tony posted:

Good news, he won't be anymore.

Losing your job for such a luke warm terrible take, :drat:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Moviebob has his virtues as a critic, but he's garbage on Twitter and seems like one of the most pathetic people irl.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Losing your job for such a luke warm terrible take, :drat:

That news is not related to his Boys take lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

That news is not related to his Boys take lol

So he's said worse poo poo? Do I need proof I was kicked in the head by a horse to get a job writing reviews or can I try and fake it?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Being real I think The Escapist is flailing like whoa. They launched some crap "$4/month for premium content" poo poo that no one is gonna do, just tried to launch a podcast with Moviebob on it that no one wanted to watch like in the last month...

Moviebob's content was definitely not a driver for clicks/sales, so it's pretty easy to imagine him getting the boot to cut costs while the website tries to figure out how to break down profitably enough to pay out the top-level people. Aside from the extremely-past-its-sell-by-date Zero Punctuation they don't have anything.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/graves_bennett/status/1317592396595593222?s=21
https://twitter.com/tfirst2020/status/1317556585502212103?s=21

Don’t tell them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If that works it's loving brilliant.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Explain it to me. I wont go to south Carolina willingly.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Hihohe posted:

That candidate is third party, so any vote for him is one fewer for the Republican.

Here's a tweet that explains it better

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1317541032939130886?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hihohe posted:

The goal is to get super conservative people to vote for the third party candidate who has no chance in hell instead of Lindsey Graham by pointing out how much more conservative he is.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Skwirl posted:

You could just have annoying opinions about pilsners or something instead of IPAs. There's a huge variety of different beers to act like a douchebag about other than IPAs.

I’m a brewer and a beer judge; I have opinions about every style

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah some vote splitting for a guy who dropped out and backed Graham even from what someone wrote. A neat angle and not even dirty.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

mind the walrus posted:

Moviebob has his virtues as a critic...

In, uh...

In what way?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Samovar posted:

In, uh...

In what way?
He's made some good videos over the years. Not all, nor even most, but he's got enough of a solid batting average when it comes to trying to educate nerds on how to best understand the dumb poo poo they like that I'm ok repping for his professional work. The same way I'd say Chick Fil A are garbage people with garbage views, but they're good at their job of selling fast food chicken.

He was relatively early in attempting positive criticism with his "Really That Good" stuff and I've used videos like "Pink is not the problem" to give people a start on gender roles and subtext in fiction. He's usually willing to go to the mat against sexism and discrimination, something rare in entertainment. His three hour autopsy on Batman v Superman is one of those things you might find interminable or richly mockable, the same way I find olives too salty, but hey there's good news-- neither one of us to bother consuming things we don't care for. I found the 3 hour video edifying and saying a lot of things most people are way too busy to articulate, and poo poo like that can improve media literacy, which is deceptively important in a world awash in dumbfuck propaganda.

Yeah he's an absolute trainwreck of a human being whose Game Overthinker stuff is hardcore cringe and he actually wrote a loving book on Super Mario Bros. 3 changing his life, and hearing him talk about Spider-Man is like pulling teeth, and his twitter and hot takes on politics are rear end with a side of poo... but he's not a nameless rubber stamp when it comes to offering critique and he has enough education to talk without being an absolute dipshit most of the time. Compare him to CinemaSins, Chris Stuckman, Zero Punctuation, or even Red Letter Media and he's practically Roger Ebert-- a fat nerd you probably couldn't stand in real life but is good enough at his job that you'd have to be a high school stereotype to give him a swirly solely on the grounds that he talks about nerd poo poo and isn't cool enough about it.

So yeah, by all means mock the gently caress out of him, but I've seen a lot worse in the field.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

He's made some good videos over the years. Not all, nor even most, but he's got enough of a solid batting average when it comes to trying to educate nerds on how to best understand the dumb poo poo they like that I'm ok repping for his professional work. The same way I'd say Chick Fil A are garbage people with garbage views, but they're good at their job of selling fast food chicken.

I've never lived somewhere that Chick Fil A was common so I've never actually eaten there but my understanding is they sell chicken sandwiches, if those sandwiches are tasty enough I can understand why people look past their views on culture or politics or whatever and eat the sandwiches. Don't really agree with it, would rather not buy sandwiches from bigots but it hasn't come up for me so maybe the sandwiches are that loving tasty.

If someone's job is criticizing art and culture having terrible opinions on art and culture means they're just terrible at they're job.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1317526107642626048

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I've never lived somewhere that Chick Fil A was common so I've never actually eaten there but my understanding is they sell chicken sandwiches, if those sandwiches are tasty enough I can understand why people look past their views on culture or politics or whatever and eat the sandwiches. Don't really agree with it, would rather not buy sandwiches from bigots but it hasn't come up for me so maybe the sandwiches are that loving tasty.

If someone's job is criticizing art and culture having terrible opinions on art and culture means they're just terrible at they're job.
The point of critics isn't that you agree with them or even think they have good takes. Ebert was regarded as one of the greatest critics in his field and his opinions were often dogshit. It's that they have a consistent voice and you're able to use that to gauge your own critical response, and the better critics help give you the means to analyze on your own. Moviebob, for his many faults, does that.

It's easy to understand unless you're being stubborn.

And yes, Chick Fil A's sandwiches are tasty enough that most people look beyond the bigotry, but it's an imperfect analogy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

The point of critics isn't that you agree with them or even think they have good takes. Ebert was regarded as one of the greatest critics in his field and his opinions were often dogshit. It's that they have a consistent voice and you're able to use that to gauge your own critical response, and the better critics help give you the means to analyze on your own. Moviebob, for his many faults, does that.

It's easy to understand unless you're being stubborn.

And yes, Chick Fil A's sandwiches are tasty enough that most people look beyond the bigotry, but it's an imperfect analogy.

What's a good review of something Movie Bob wrote? Because at the moment all I know is a Garth Ennis adaptation was too subtle for him and apparently you'd buy soup from Seinfeld's Soup Nazi if he was literally a Nazi.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Skwirl posted:

What's a good review of something Movie Bob wrote? Because at the moment all I know is a Garth Ennis adaptation was too subtle for him and apparently you'd buy soup from Seinfeld's Soup Nazi if he was literally a Nazi.
Ooh salt. That's funny. I actually don't go to Chick Fil A but I have tried it. Turns out people do that.

I'm not gonna be subtle here, because you're not actually interested in any of this. You're interested in taking whatever I put out and dunking on me for it. What-the-gently caress-ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9juReoJxI0

Take it or leave it.

"Oh my god this loser spent 3 hours on a loving movie for children." Yeah, yeah he did. "Oh my god he talks so fast and sounds like the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons who went to Community College." Yeah, yeah he does. "Oh my god what a basic-rear end reading of the material." Yup. Go and make your own if that bugs you. "Who gives a gently caress about loving popcorn movies?" Around half a million people, apparently. He set a goal and did a good job that isn't only worth watching if you care about comic movies, it's a solid primer for basic media literacy in the 21st Century whether you like it or not.

And while it's not worth bothering to explain, his bit about The Boys was some hardcore nerd poo poo about thinking the humor was out of date and arguing that with the MCU being popular, it was weird that no one at Amazon updated the material to reflect that, instead going for late 90s jokes about "What if the Justice League were dickheads." Like he's not wrong, but it's really "forest for the trees" poo poo when you realize that the comics were written that way, most people don't know/care about superhero arcana half as much as he thinks, and the show was an obvious success way before he made the video. Dumb take, but hey it's not half as dumb as tl;dr-ing it down to a sentence and saying the dude deserved to be fired over it while him being a bloated old Gen-X nerd out of his depth with a Zoomer audience and being a toxic shitbag on Twitter pretty much answers that for you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Ooh salt. That's funny. I actually don't go to Chick Fil A but I have tried it. Turns out people do that.

I'm not gonna be subtle here, because you're not actually interested in any of this. You're interested in taking whatever I put out and dunking on me for it. What-the-gently caress-ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9juReoJxI0

Take it or leave it.

"Oh my god this loser spent 3 hours on a loving movie for children." Yeah, yeah he did. "Oh my god he talks so fast and sounds like the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons who went to Community College." Yeah, yeah he does. "Oh my god what a basic-rear end reading of the material." Yup. Go and make your own if that bugs you. "Who gives a gently caress about loving popcorn movies?" Around half a million people, apparently. He set a goal and did a good job that isn't only worth watching if you care about comic movies, it's a solid primer for basic media literacy in the 21st Century whether you are you Movie Bob?like it or not.

And while it's not worth bothering to explain, his bit about The Boys was some hardcore nerd poo poo about thinking the humor was out of date and arguing that with the MCU being popular, it was weird that no one at Amazon updated the material to reflect that, instead going for late 90s jokes about "What if the Justice League were dickheads." Like he's not wrong, but it's really "forest for the trees" poo poo when you realize that the comics were written that way, most people don't know/care about superhero arcana half as much as he thinks, and the show was an obvious success way before he made the video. Dumb take, but hey it's not half as dumb as tl;dr-ing it down to a sentence and saying the dude deserved to be fired over it while him being a bloated old Gen-X nerd out of his depth with a Zoomer audience and being a toxic shitbag on Twitter pretty much answers that for you.

If it takes him more time to explain why loving Batman V Superman is bad than it takes to watch Batman V Superman I absolutely don't want to hear his views on a tv show that's already got two seasons.

Edit I didn't actually read your entire post at first because it was also too loving long but I think you're accusing me of being Generation X and that's just dirty, I'm old, but I'm not that old.

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 09:09 on Oct 18, 2020

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

mind the walrus posted:

the extremely-past-its-sell-by-date Zero Punctuation they don't have anything.
I was going to say "holy poo poo, that's still going?" but it also made me realize that's the only reason I ever even heard of The Escapist and is pretty much the only pony in their show.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

What does the Escapist even have besides Zero Punctuation anymore? Yahtzee can't be the only thing keeping them afloat.

Mak0rz posted:

I used to watch Moviebob's stuff back when he started on video game analysis videos as the "Game OverThinker." They started out fairly okay and I remember liking them, but it took him making maybe three videos tops before he became drunk on his own farts and started inserting his own metaplot fanfiction in the videos. It was extremely weird.

I watched...pretty much all the big internet reviewers/critics between 2008-2012ish, and that awful metaplot bullshit is what finally made me realize how awful most of them were/are.

No one cares about you dressing up as a Power Ranger to fight your evil clone from the future or whatever! Just make with the jokes and tell me why the comic book is bad, dammit! :argh:

Vandar has a new favorite as of 10:04 on Oct 18, 2020

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The Chick Fil A example is kind of flawed there. People don't say "Okay, their views are horrendous, but those chicken sandwiches are just SO GOOD I will turn a blind eye to them." They say "Okay, I guess they said some horrible poo poo, but it doesn't concern me and the sandwiches are good, so why bother finding someone else?".

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Vib Rib posted:

I was going to say "holy poo poo, that's still going?" but it also made me realize that's the only reason I ever even heard of The Escapist and is pretty much the only pony in their show.

it's still going but yahtzee's heart is clearly not still in it

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

FFT posted:

it's still going but yahtzee's heart is clearly not still in it

Did he end up being Gamergatey? I remember him having some article that was all "Sexism in Games: Is There a Problem? No." and weird shoutouts to the rear end in a top hat crowd in videos now and then, but that was like a million years ago.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thinky Whale posted:

Did he end up being Gamergatey? I remember him having some article that was all "Sexism in Games: Is There a Problem? No." and weird shoutouts to the rear end in a top hat crowd in videos now and then, but that was like a million years ago.

He made The Only Trans Joke in his review for The Missing, IIRC so I have doubts about his uh..non-chud status, I guess

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Thinky Whale posted:

He's still at The Escapist, so he's either a gamergate chud or he's OK being at gamergate ground zero. Either way isn't a great look in 2020.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skwirl posted:

I don't live very close to one either, but one time my family was out when my daughter got hungry and that was the only option nearby so we begrudgingly ordered it. It was a fast-food chicken sandwich. It had pickles on it, which most don't. Otherwise it was pretty unremarkable. I will say however that the kid's meal came with a book about Snoopy going to the moon that focused on the Apollo program and it was kind of the best kid's meal type thing we've ever gotten? My daughter loves that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Thinky Whale posted:

He is friends with, regularly interacts on Twitter with, and has done podcasts with Ian Miles Cheong. If he's not full chud, he is extremely chud-adjacent.

As someone that used to really like his poo poo, this was a very saddening blow when other goons brought it to my attention.