Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Not sure Disney even knows what a smuggler is. Seems to involve doing heists and picking locks (Poe) for some reason.

They know just fine, but it's like Nintendo with the Metroid series or any other sci-fi thing aimed at kids where they want the veneer of a future warrior badass but also not the reality of putting out products that tell kids that being a violent criminal is awesome. So you get these vague incongruities with how they work pretty regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

At least the ST provides plenty of material for better writers to use, such as Ochi now appearing after RotJ to terrorize Darth Vader after he gets torn apart by Palpatine and dumped back on Mustafar after loving up at the end of ESB

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vinylshadow posted:

he gets torn apart by Palpatine and dumped back on Mustafar after loving up at the end of ESB

haha what is this an actual dis ney wars plot

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I swear the new Disney comics are trying to cram so much sh*t inbetween the original trilogy movies that it's more convoluted than the old-EU already.

I think Luke and Vader have already had like 2 or 3 showdowns now in Disney canon between ANH and ESB thanks to these comics.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Mameluke posted:

haha what is this an actual dis ney wars plot

yep. palpatine rips off his robot limbs and basically goes 'welp, back to mustafar you go' and throws him on the same bank by the lava where he catches on fire again

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

galagazombie posted:

23, definitely the age that comes to mind when someone says "frightened child". Also lol that Luke's ghost ages like a living person.

Also Luke overexerting himself and passing at the ripe old age of...53?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Question I've never seen answered:

In ESB, Ozzel brings the Imperial fleet out of hyperspace to attack Hoth. Vader loses his poo poo, because Ozzel brought them out of lightspeed too close to the planet. The Rebels see them, and put up their shield, making an Imperial assault more complicated.

The problem is, what was Ozzel supposed to do? Drop out of lightspeed beyond detection? The Rebels would have seen the Empire once they got closer, so the shield seems like it was going to be up regardless.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Red posted:

In ESB, Ozzel brings the Imperial fleet out of hyperspace to attack Hoth. Vader loses his poo poo, because Ozzel brought them out of lightspeed too close to the planet. The Rebels see them, and put up their shield, making an Imperial assault more complicated.

The problem is, what was Ozzel supposed to do? Drop out of lightspeed beyond detection? The Rebels would have seen the Empire once they got closer, so the shield seems like it was going to be up regardless.

I think the idea was to use TIEs to get close to the planet, thinking the rebels will mistake any approaching ships as meteors.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I kind of figured the imperials could scan better than the rebels so they could park a safe distance away from the planet, figure out where the rebels were exactly, approach the planet from the other side so the rebels wouldn't detect them, and then

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Also Luke overexerting himself and passing at the ripe old age of...53?

They kind of arbitrarily set the Sequel Trilogy exactly 30 years after Return of the Jedi (which itself is arbitrarily only one year after Empire), which ages all the OT characters down by several years - if Star Wars takes place in space-1977, the rest of the movies are:

I - 1945
II - 1955
III - 1958

IV - 1977
V - 1980
VI - 1981

VII - 2011
VIII - 2011
IX - 2012

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 16, 2020

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
:psyduck: why wouldn't they just say as much time passed between movies as passed in the real world :psyduck:

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

2house2fly posted:

:psyduck: why wouldn't they just say as much time passed between movies as passed in the real world :psyduck:

canon

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Disney bring back the 3 eyed son of palpatine

No the other one

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I always liked how in the opening of empire they show how han and luke are pretty entrenched in the rebel military structure by then, doing patrols, holding rank, known around the base by rank, etc. Time has passed and they are acclimated to the point of boredom.

I guess the opening mission of ROS scrambles to show the audience that the new kids are always running errands for the resistance but eh. Rey's only contact with resistance people that aren't Leia is them waving at her leaving in TFA, right?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Red posted:

Strong rejection of at-will murdering by Vader in the Imperial military, as evidenced in the conference room scene in A New Hope and Vader needed to invent a work performance related reason to remove a guy he didn't like personally.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The command turnover rate on those Star Destroyers were wild.

People probably poo poo themselves when they were promoted to Captains or Admirals.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Red posted:

I think Oz got the raw deal, both because of what you said, and because, unknown to Vader, the Rebels were aware the Empire was coming for them and had already begun their evacuation.

I think surprise -was- the right option given the circumstances.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

They know just fine, but it's like Nintendo with the Metroid series or any other sci-fi thing aimed at kids where they want the veneer of a future warrior badass but also not the reality of putting out products that tell kids that being a violent criminal is awesome. So you get these vague incongruities with how they work pretty regularly.

Sure, but he was a smuggler under the Galactic Empire of Fascist Evil. He could have smuggled medicines, slaves to freedom, or any number of feel-good or at least morally neutral objects. He doesn't have to smuggle death sticks and hand them out to kids.

It's just wild since the OT was even more heavily targeted at kids than the modern laser focus on PG-13 and it still had him being an Actual Smuggler.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ozzel actor Michael Sheard was a delightful person, who appeared, as various characters over the years, in Doctor Who, and loved meeting Star Wars and Who fans at conventions.

He also found himself somewhat typecast, playing Adolf Hitler no less than five times in his career (including Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade).

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 17, 2020

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Davros1 posted:

Ozzel actor Michael Sheard was a delightful person, who appeared, as various characters over the years, in Doctor Who, and loved meeting Star Wars and Who fans at conventions.

He also found himself somewhat typecast, playing Adolf Hitler no less than five times in his career (including Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade).

lmfao THAT was Ozzel?

drat RIP space adolf

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

lmfao THAT was Ozzel?

drat RIP space adolf

He was also in the background of Raiders, playing the U-Boat Captain.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Vader was motivated by antifascism to remove Ozzel, tying back to SMG's view.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Vinylshadow posted:

I've seen it 3(!) times and every time I just get sadder

OK, there is a ton of dumb stuff in this. But...it wasn't a terrible as I remembered. I mean, I really really regret them not following up on a lot of the really new things that 8 introduced but, eh. It was a Star War. I think I'll come to peace with it eventually.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

If you're an anti-8, the cantino blight sequence might qualify. But maybe even if you are and definitely otherwise, it has to be something from 9

Leia Poppins

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, at the risk of sticking my head in the lion’s mouth in this thread, The Last Jedi is a gorgeous movie, so if you enjoy movies on that level, you should at least give it a shot once.

It really is. The large looming Sith sculptures is right out of most of the games and it was nice to see finally on screen

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Yeah see I don’t get what people are talking when they praise TLJ’s visuals. It looks bland as hell for the most part. There are a few cool looking moments sure but overall doesn’t hold a patch to Rogue One, let alone the original six.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

nemesis_hub posted:

Yeah see I don’t get what people are talking when they praise TLJ’s visuals. It looks bland as hell for the most part. There are a few cool looking moments sure but overall doesn’t hold a patch to Rogue One, let alone the original six.

.... you wouldn’t even put it over ROTJ?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

nemesis_hub posted:

This but for Rogue One, which aside from a few shots of spaceships and CG Cushing looks completely unremarkable in every possible way.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The space ships and explosions are really good though

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

cargohills posted:

This but for Rogue One, which aside from a few shots of spaceships and CG Cushing looks completely unremarkable in every possible way.
Been a while since I watched R1, but with CGI Cushing I remember thinking "huh, that actually looks pretty convincing" while they kept him relatively small in frame... and then they blew it by getting close enough that the wrongness became obvious.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

lmfao THAT was Ozzel?

drat RIP space adolf

Spare a thought for General Veers also Pycelle

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I don't want to get into a R1 vs TLJ slap fight because they are the strongest ST films from a cinematography angle IMO. R1 has those great sense of scale shots and all the stuff at ground level really emphasize the grunge of the OT. TLJ just has such high fidelity and I love how everyone looks in the film especially kylos sweaty rear end. Solo, TFA, and TROS all have a more generic quality to their on screen look and hardly any specific non effects shot flourishes that help to define the looks of the films.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Bilirubin posted:

It really is. The large looming Sith sculptures is right out of most of the games and it was nice to see finally on screen

wrong movie

:downsbravo:

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Captain Splendid posted:

yea but this one was extremely obvious

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's wild that they brought palpatine back and let him recite prequel lines verbatim but they dont let him go full sheev

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

AdmiralViscen posted:

.... you wouldn’t even put it over ROTJ?

ok you kinda got me there. Granted ROTJ looks dingy and cheap at times from a cinematography POV but it still has the very well choreographed space battle and throne room stuff. I’ll take that over individual shots that are prettier but don’t make me feel anything when they’re put in sequence.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Davros1 posted:

He was also Mr Bronson. Which was basically Hitler again.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jerkface posted:

I don't want to get into a R1 vs TLJ slap fight because they are the strongest ST films from a cinematography angle IMO. R1 has those great sense of scale shots and all the stuff at ground level really emphasize the grunge of the OT. TLJ just has such high fidelity and I love how everyone looks in the film especially kylos sweaty rear end. Solo, TFA, and TROS all have a more generic quality to their on screen look and hardly any specific non effects shot flourishes that help to define the looks of the films.

R1 also did stuff like orientate the Death Star "upsidedown" relative to the camera and had a Star Destroyer in atmosphere, recontextualusing original trilogy stuff. But in an age of Deep Fakes I don't understand why Tarkin and Leia didn't look better.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Captain Splendid posted:

Also Aragog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Payndz posted:

Been a while since I watched R1, but with CGI Cushing I remember thinking "huh, that actually looks pretty convincing" while they kept him relatively small in frame... and then they blew it by getting close enough that the wrongness became obvious.

Have to agree, weirdly the face totally sold it to me though. The rank/whatever stuff on his uniform was super "plasticy CG" looking though which is weird because of course it was always some cheap plastic prop on all of the officers, but it was like too shiny and somehow that was what killed it for me in the closeups.

Should have gotten Wayne Pygram back with de-aging CG and a hair-piece instead or something.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Sure, but he was a smuggler under the Galactic Empire of Fascist Evil. He could have smuggled medicines, slaves to freedom, or any number of feel-good or at least morally neutral objects. He doesn't have to smuggle death sticks and hand them out to kids.

It's just wild since the OT was even more heavily targeted at kids than the modern laser focus on PG-13 and it still had him being an Actual Smuggler.

The 70s were a time

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 18, 2020