Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/philwest/status/1275180574555201538

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlickingFire
Nov 8, 2011
About 12 hours until the Women's World Cup announcement for 2023. Desperately hoping it comes to Aus/NZ but I have no faith that FIFA's corruption continues to know no bounds. We outranked Colombia on every metric and UEFA are still backing their bid. Travelled to France last year so would love for it to come to me this time.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
And it's official

https://mobile.twitter.com/FIFAWWC/status/1276410512352456704

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

FlickingFire posted:

About 12 hours until the Women's World Cup announcement for 2023. Desperately hoping it comes to Aus/NZ but I have no faith that FIFA's corruption continues to know no bounds. We outranked Colombia on every metric and UEFA are still backing their bid. Travelled to France last year so would love for it to come to me this time.

Get yer tickets!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

NWSL Challenge Cup about to kick off. NC Courage vs. Portland Thorns. CBS.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Game had been mostly NCC so far, but still scoreless mainly because Lynn Williams just hosed up a 2-on-1 situation. In her defense, the other option was to pass to noted homophobe Jaelene Daniels (née Hinkle), so....

Edit: socially-distant on-field interviews and canned crowd noise are weird.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 27, 2020

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I couldn't tell which team was which until North Carolina scored, as CBS decided to not use the scorebug to show jersey colors.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Well that was a clown car goal.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

North Carolina took the opener 2-1. Washington Spirit - Chicago Red Stars kicked off a few minutes ago and Washington is already up thanks to Rose Lavelle burying a rebounded shot.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And Washington just scored within 30 seconds of the second half due to keeper gently caress up. Chicago definitely not looking like a team that was in the final last year and definitely looking like one without Sam Kerr.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

whypick1 posted:

And Washington just scored within 30 seconds of the second half due to keeper gently caress up. Chicago definitely not looking like a team that was in the final last year and definitely looking like one without Sam Kerr.

Had to kinda figure that was gonna happen. Chicago coasted for years on Press and then Kerr. Ohai/Watt isn't what she used to be pre-ACL injury, and I'm not sure if any of their other forwards can carry the load like Press/Kerr did.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I mean, in a normal year you're supposed to be able to ride your horses like Kerr. It's why you angle to get players who are that damned amazing. We're just in a crappy timeline where NWSL wasn't able to play it's season.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Matchday 2 of the NWSL tourney is in the books. Houston - Utah ended in a 3-3 draw, featuring a controversial disallowed goal for Houston and a 90th minute equalizer for Utah. Reign - Sky Blue was a soccer game that...happened. On the plus side, the scoreboard actually used "RGN" instead of "SEA".

Man I wish I got to watch Houston - Utah.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

So, uh, Midge Purce shouldn't be playing fullback, hey?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

My team finally scored a goal and won a game :woop:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

whypick1 posted:

My team finally scored a goal and won a game :woop:

*sighs in Red Stars* What's it like?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Tuned into Sky Blue - Houston just in time to see Sky Blue score goal #2 from a 40' chip. Nice.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The group stage of the NWSL tourney had just concluded with the North Carolina Death Machine humming along.

Table:
code:
#	Team			Pts	W-L-D	GD	GF
----------------------------------------------------------
1	NC Courage		12	4-0-0	 6	7
2	Washington Spirit	7	2-1-1	 0	4
3	OL Reign		5	1-1-2	-1	1
4	Houston Dash		4	1-2-1	-1	5
5	Utah Royals		4	1-2-1	-1	4
6	Chicago Red Stars	4	1-2-1	-1	2
7	Sky Blue		4	1-2-1	-1	2
8	Portland Thorns		3	0-1-3	-1	2

Chicago beats Sky Blue on disciplinary points (1 YC vs. 4)
Check out my team getting the #3 seed despite their cumulative score over 4 games being 1-2. Gonna tie our way to the finals (and get curbstomped by NC)! :smug:

Here's the bracket

code:
#1 NCC -|
        |- #1/#8 Winner -|
#8 POR -|                |
                         | -#1/#2/#4/#5 Winner -|
#4 HOU -|                |                      |
        |- #4/#5 Winner -|                      |
#5 UTA -|                                       |
                                                |- Challenge Cup Champion
#2 WAS -|                                       |
        |- #2/#7 Winner -|                      |
#7 SKY -|                |                      |
                         | -#2/#7/#3/#6 Winner -|
#3 OLR -|                |                      
        |- #3/#6 Winner -|                      
#6 CHI -|  

NCC - POR: 6/17 10:30AM MST
HOU - UTA: 6/17 08:00PM MST
WAS - SKY: 6/18 10:30AM MST
OLR - CHI: 6/18 08:00PM MST

#1/#8 - #4/#5: 6/22 10:30AM MST
#2/#7 - #3/#6: 6/22 08:00PM MST

Final: 6/26 10:30AM MST
NCC-POR and HOU-UTA are both rematches, with NCC winning 2-1 while HOU-UTA played to a 3-3 draw.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 17, 2020

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
watched the thorns - OL game this morning unfortunately. Hoping we have a chance against NC but unfortunately this tournament was set up for garbage teams like them.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It turns out skipping North Carolina/Portland was a huge mistake!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

It's not quite UMBC-Virginia, but :psyduck:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Eckerstrom stood on her head today.

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsSoccer/status/1284224452688052224

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There was a moment in stoppage when Sinclair put her head down and beat the outside back with pace. That’s the moment I knew the underdogs were gonna have to wait another year to taste glory.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Watching Houston-Utah alongside RSL-Minnesota almost put me to sleep.

Jane Campbell during the PKs was pretty cool though.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I keep forgetting about the morning games in this competition.

Sky Blue beat Washington on penalties after a scoreless draw, so that's the #1 and #2 seed both knocked out.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Quarterfinal round is over:

NCC - POR: David slays Goliath. Portland wins 1-0.
HOU - UTA: First game: 3-3 barn-burner. Rematch: 0-0 draw with 3 SOG total. Houston advances on PKs 4-2 thanks to the woodwork and 2 saves.
WAS - SKY: Upset #2 as both teams play to a scoreless draw with Sky Blue advancing on PKs 4-3 thanks to Washington's final kick getting saved.
OLR - CHI: More scoreless draws and upsets! Chicago advances on PKs 4-3 after the Reign's first kick goes high and last kick goes off the post and out.

Updated Bracket:

code:
#1 NCC -|
        |- #8 POR -|
#8 POR -|          |
                   |- POR/HOU -|
#4 HOU -|          |           |
        |- #4 HOU -|           |
#5 UTA -|                      |
                               |- Challenge Cup Champion
#2 WAS -|                      |
        |- #7 SKY -|           |
#7 SKY -|          |           |
                   |- SKY/CHI -|
#3 OLR -|          |                      
        |- #6 CHI -|                  
#6 CHI -|  

Semi-Finals:

POR - HOU: 6/22 10:30AM MST
SKY - CHI: 6/22 08:00PM MST

Final: 6/26 10:30AM MST

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And in non-tourney NWSL news: they're finally coming to LA with one hell of an owner's group.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
today we celebrate womens soccer coming to LA. Tomorrow we loathe their existence.

Does it say where they're playing? Probably the LAFC stadium, right?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

quote:

The franchise, which is using Angel City as its tentative nickname, is in discussions with several potential venue partners and hopes to announce both a venue partner and a permanent name by the end of the year.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Angel City is a good name good luck to them

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

NWSL Challenge Cup will be Houston vs. Chicago after Houston knocked out Portland 1-0 and Chicago survived a late Sky Blue surge to win 3-2.

I kinda forgot to watch either game and the final is on at 9:30AM 12:30PM EST on Sunday, which is not really great for me since I like sleep. drat you timezones.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 26, 2020

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Real bummed that the final isn't Houston vs Sky Blue. That woulda been silly and fun.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And Houston Dash wins it 2-0 thanks to a 5th minute PK and a 90th minute breakaway after Chicago had pushed numbers up.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Stars looked better than I was afraid we would and I think there's hope for 2021 but loving hell we just cannot finish a season.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
The Women's Champions League picked up again this weekend, with a one-match tournament format. Quarterfinals have already been played, with Lyon avenging their men's team and knocking out Bayern, Wolfsburg thumping the last semi-pro team Glasgow 9-1, PSG beating Arsenal and Barcelona edging Atlético Madrid.

The semifinals start tonight, with Wolfsburg vs Barcelona. The second semi is played tomorrow, with Lyon and PSG matching up for the nth time. Both matches are played at 20:00 CEST, which means the first semi starts in an hour and a bit.

Final will be played on Sunday, again at 20:00 CEST.

People in countries without broadcast deals should be able to watch them at UEFA's official streaming thing.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The NWSL Fall Series kicks off this weekend if you ignore Sky Blue beating Washington Spirit 2-1 this past Saturday which I totally didn't forget about, honest. The 9 teams are split into 3 regional groups of 3 and will play a home-and-home series. Games will mostly be on CBS All-Access with some also on CBS proper and some on Twitch in the US, while all games will be on Twitch outside of the US.

And already the second first game of this series has had to be rescheduled because most of California the west coast of the US being on fire means the air in Portland is pretty loving bad, so the Reign@Thorns game is moving to Tuesday night on Twitch while Dash@Courage takes their Saturday afternoon on CBS spot.

vvv In my defense, no longer live in that timezone, news mainly mentions CA

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 11, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Our current air quality mess is because a lot of Oregon is on fire. When the east winds fueling our fires finish dying out and the normal on shore flow comes back that's when we get to enjoy all of California being on fire.

The AQI outside my house right now has been fluctuating in the 400s all day. I'm about to go take a bong hit so I can get the water to filter particulates.
https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/status/1304150383573434374

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Watching Reign-Thorns right now and:

*It's only on Twitch, a streaming video platform aimed at gamers, and one I can't watch it on my TV since there's no official Roku channel and I can't push it to my Chromecast.
*There appears to be exactly two cameras: one for close-ups and one on the sideline at field-level, even though I've seen plenty more angles during USL games played in the same stadium.
*Just before kick off there was a wipe between two video feeds that used the logo...of the LA Galaxy II.

:sigh:

e: Minute 17, finally got a proper camera angle that doesn't give me vertigo. Other gripes still valid though.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 11, 2020

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The NWSL Fall Series, and thus the 2020 season, has officially concluded. The Portland Thorns claimed the Community Shield with 10 points, nipping Challenge Cup winners Houston Dash by a single point (although I will point out Portland won their last game 2-1 on two super dubious penalty calls...no, I'm not bitter, shut up).

There will be some off-season stuff happening in the coming weeks, the big one being the expansion draft for Racing Louisville, the league's upcoming 10th team, happening on November 12.

And who knows, maybe next year the Orlando Pride will not have a bunch of their team catch a highly infectious disease during a global pandemic by ignoring safety protocols and/or actually win a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
In the meantime FAWSL is a lot of fun to watch. Arsenal has about 1/3 of the Dutch national team starters + Kim Little, most of the familiar NWSL Aussie players have moved over there, and of course we have the big USWNT names.

Just wish Debinha had taken a loan deal...