Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Imagine spending 215 days at sea only for home sweet home to be Norfolk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There’s a reason suicide rates are up.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Imagine how much Amazon and BodyBuilding made off of that deployment.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ManMythLegend posted:

loving :lol: if you think the CO was cool with it.

After my last two CO's it's hard to imagine they weren't. Of course I'll give credit to my first CO and you're p cool. :shrug:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Anita Dickinme posted:

After my last two CO's it's hard to imagine they weren't. Of course I'll give credit to my first CO and you're p cool. :shrug:

Most of the COs I've met would not have been excited, but probably would have done a good job pretending to be until day 120 or so when someone would catch them cursing after a satphone call.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

piL posted:

Imagine spending 215 days at sea only for home sweet home to be Norfolk.

Imagine coming home and being forced to stay at sea doing donuts within sight of land for like a month, in case you were needed to surge back out. That was pretty novel "gently caress you" for Truman.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Anita Dickinme posted:

Deleted a bunch of posts, seconding this.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
https://www.thedailybeast.com/theyve-been-trapped-on-navy-ships-for-months-now-one-has-died-by-suicide

With a follow up link to

http://cimsec.org/why-military-sealift-command-needs-merchant-mariners-at-the-helm/45444

He has a pretty good overall view of the situation in a group I follow i can c/p if there's interest, its just long.

This links back to extended deployments and days at sea. Navy personnel and merchant mariners aren't robots and are subject to human constraints. Continuing to push these limits when the conditions are already so poor, even more so considering all the old perks like seeing the world no longer apply, doesn't entice anyone to join. I think the number is MSC is looking to fill 260ish slots and managed to get around 50 academy grads this year. That's with starting pay thats at least double the national average and extended time off.

Edit: The length itself usually isn't an issue for everyone I know. If I knowingly sign up for 200 or 300 days at sea thats a choice (not one I would normally do) and I can live with it. Its when reliefs are pushed unexpectedly for months or there is no expected date that things get really dire.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 20, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
This 200+ days at sea stuff is kind of funny to me. If I had stayed on the career path I was on in the navy, I would have been doing 300+ days at sea a year as an ACINT rider when on sea rotation.

I am really glad I talked to the ACINT riders who were on my boat.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I'm not a fan of the "200 days is nothing I've done x!". Like I said, if you expect 3 months and suddenly find yourself at 10+ youre going to take a big psychological hit. Everyone handles it differently. I took long jobs all the way through for the longest time until one day I just found I wasn't able to handle it.

This is also dependent on what you're doing. As a 1st I work to maintain a hugely detailed understanding of everything going on in the engine room. Over an extended period I start to become numb and make small mistakes, at which point I know I need to get off as they will only build.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Not a brag. It's a 'holy gently caress I'm glad I got real info before I stepped into that bullshit fully'. acint dudes are nuts.

edit : my longest was only 53 and that was quite enough.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Ah yeah, that would have been a terrible decision. The longest I've done was 189 days when I started. I barely made it 70 on my last ship. I've just heard the I've done it so they are obviously pussies from people who I don't want to work anywhere near too often.

I also track peoples mental state so I don't give someone something to do and have them gently caress it up, hurt themselves or worse. Watching people deteriorate over the course of a day, let alone a month or more at sea, just reinforces the point. Its extremely visible once you know what to look for and can track it.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 20, 2020

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
I’m not in the navy, just a navy thread lurker...

This week will have been one year since a sailor, a coworker, a tender friend and human, and a giant in his field passed from suicide. Feeling all the things I felt a year ago, all over again, goons.

I hope it gets better. Just thinking about all of his potential is :( ... but I’m not sure if potential was even the right word. He had already mastered his craft, and merely would have had more problems to solve. He decided he wanted to be a certain rate when he was like 15 and literally just started reading textbooks at that point.

Cracking one open for you, buddy.

Edit: am I freak for having a reminder in my phone to mark his passing? I got the notification and it broke me. Worthless day at work and all that.

Not sure how important the day is anyway... I just want to keep his memory pleasant and alive.

fivehead fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 21, 2020

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
No.

My personal explanation is change. Nothing changes at sea, its a variation on a theme for x days and then you go home. You are around the same people, doing the same thing and don't change or grow. Unfortunately, the real world is evolving. The people you know and your town and home are changing.

My roommate would move all my stuff and put it away and when I got home I felt like my presence had been erased. I know it wasn't intentional but it definitely was not good for my return.

The number of experiences you can have on a ship are limited and extreme, nearly unrelateable to someone that may spend most of their time slowly evolving in their hometown. They may have a large number of small experiences.they can't relate back to you. When you are around these people and things the change is much less extreme since you are there for it but when you leave for 3 months it can be jarring. Its weird.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

fivehead posted:

This week will have been one year since a sailor, a coworker, a tender friend and human, and a giant in his field passed from suicide. Feeling all the things I felt a year ago, all over again, goons.

I hope it gets better. Just thinking about all of his potential is :( ... but I’m not sure if potential was even the right word. He had already mastered his craft, and merely would have had more problems to solve. He decided he wanted to be a certain rate when he was like 15 and literally just started reading textbooks at that point.

Edit: am I freak for having a reminder in my phone to mark his passing? I got the notification and it broke me. Worthless day at work and all that.

Not sure how important the day is anyway... I just want to keep his memory pleasant and alive.

Nothing wrong with that, remember and mourn however you wish. Everyone processes differently.

Talk to people if it helps, tell us sea stories about them if it helps, or just enjoy a brew and your thoughts if it helps.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

fivehead posted:

No worries, this isn't some tree fort, you're welcome to post in here. Its also alright to have a reminder in your phone or whatever you do to remind yourself. Remember your friend in whatever way you choose. I'm sorry you lost a friend, I've lost a few to suicide over the years, it sucks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’ve been one person away from the last two navy suicides. poo poo sucks....

So I reviewed my work experience on board this deployment and looks like I’m eligible for the first radio electronics tech. Probably gonna go MSC fall 2021. May even come back to the EPF program since it’s fairly undermanned. Being a reservist may be helpful because they have to send you back for AT/drills so if I set up flex drilling with my unit 3 times a year I’ll be able guarantee (with what some MSC officers say) a ticket home more or less on schedule.

With my luck it may actually work out who knows....

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the slackest crab chief ever

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I used to Facebook message one of my dead friends with updates. It helped I guess. I don’t think doing things to remember them is odd at all.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Radio? Holy poo poo. 2nds pay, contractual OT and no work. The mates all have the certs and you aren't expected to even be competent. On the Green Cove sparks was some old man the captain forbid from leaving the house and wouldn't let him touch anything.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

Radio? Holy poo poo. 2nds pay, contractual OT and no work. The mates all have the certs and you aren't expected to even be competent. On the Green Cove sparks was some old man the captain forbid from leaving the house and wouldn't let him touch anything.

Uh.... that’s good right? Currently the radio officer has me fixing wiring all over the drat boat. They didn’t even have a punch down I brought my own. Do navy stuff first half of my day, spend 4 hours repairing stuff then my day is over and he’s so happy he’s willing to give me a recommendation.

This ship has had some wild wiring. Like I found one run that had two short jumpers and a long run instead of just making one long run with no jumpers. A few rooms that had rj45B incorrectly wired. The list goes on.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Uh.... that’s good right? Currently the radio officer has me fixing wiring all over the drat boat. They didn’t even have a punch down I brought my own. Do navy stuff first half of my day, spend 4 hours repairing stuff then my day is over and he’s so happy he’s willing to give me a recommendation.

This ship has had some wild wiring. Like I found one run that had two short jumpers and a long run instead of just making one long run with no jumpers. A few rooms that had rj45B incorrectly wired. The list goes on.

I always though a guy could start his own company and make a killing going thru ships during a yard period and correctly ID piping and wiring according to ships drawings. Not even fixing anything, just tagging it. I remember trying to ID pipe runs was a loving nightmare.
I imagine if you offered to fix hosed up stuff as part of your business plan, you could probably get your operation bought our by lockmart and retire with a bajillion dollars by 50.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

bengy81 posted:

I always though a guy could start his own company and make a killing going thru ships during a yard period and correctly ID piping and wiring according to ships drawings. Not even fixing anything, just tagging it. I remember trying to ID pipe runs was a loving nightmare.
I imagine if you offered to fix hosed up stuff as part of your business plan, you could probably get your operation bought our by lockmart and retire with a bajillion dollars by 50.

The Boxer had it's entire LAN CASREPd because they couldn't find half of where poo poo was routed.

I don't think anyone could.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fox and hound and some elbow grease sheesh

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Ships crew would love you but noone is going to pay for that or give you time to complete it.

I don't know what MSC contract or pay is like but as a second with Matson I would be making 9-10k base I believe, 28/30 vacation so double the base, with OT at 50/hour I think. 2x30 + 4x16 would be 120ish hours of OT a month or another 6k.

Engineers have different stuff in the contract like non watch (1-2k of the base) and duty pay that I don't think would apply so this is just a guess. So 20-30k/month where if you are halfway competent the captain will love you and give you all sorts of fun work and if you're incompetent you get to sit on your thumbs and not touch anything.

The only reason the position exists is cause the union has strong allies in the sailing unions and the ILWU. Government vessels might require it but again, the mates have all the relevant certs and training so you're really superfluous.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
I've been out for almost 10 months now and was wondering if there is some way to pull up my NKO training history?

Edit: The instructions on the my navy portal website for CAC free account setup are outdated which comes as no surprise

Virginia Slams fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 22, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Virginia Slams posted:

I've been out for almost 10 months now and was wondering if there is some way to pull up my NKO training history?

W H Y ? Dot Dot Dot

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

W H Y ? Dot Dot Dot

My potential future employer is actually interested in the trainings I've attended so I figure I might as well, which is a big lol but anything helps. Unless you mean why have I been out for almost 10 months and that answer is FTN my friend.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Virginia Slams posted:

My potential future employer is actually interested in the trainings I've attended so I figure I might as well, which is a big lol but anything helps. Unless you mean why have I been out for almost 10 months and that answer is FTN my friend.

The former than the latter. I cannot imagine what course they'd want but weirder things have happened.

I imagine there should be a way to get your complete OMPF which will have your Training Education and Qualification History in it.

:chiefsay: I downloaded that and a bunch of other Navy records for myself before I separated in March

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Virginia Slams posted:

we're EAOS buddies!

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

The former than the latter. I cannot imagine what course they'd want but weirder things have happened.

I imagine there should be a way to get your complete OMPF which will have your Training Education and Qualification History in it.

:chiefsay: I downloaded that and a bunch of other Navy records for myself before I separated in March

I printed and scanned all of my OMPF, VMET, JST, etc. and they just have certain select trainings in them not anything that would be relevant unfortunately. Not ever did I see myself thinking about logging back into NKO but here I am.

maffew buildings posted:

we're EAOS buddies!

Hell yea!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ain’t no dog and pony show like a 4star dog and pony show because a 4star dog and pony show don’t end.

Im sure we aren’t the smallest command to get such a visitor but we gotta be up there.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nick Soapdish posted:

I cannot imagine what course they'd want [/spoiler]

The most important NKO
Beautiful North Korean Cheerleaders Adored in South Korea

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

piL posted:

The most important NKO

Oh man I had forgotten about that. Thanks friend.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

piL posted:

The most important NKO

Oh my god yes I remember that one. I'm pretty sure I still have the certificate for that.

Barnacle Snatcher
Aug 19, 2006

All things began in order so shall they end, so shall they begin again according to the Ordainer of Order and the mystical mathematicks of the City of Heaven.
Sup, havent posted in like, 6~ years.

Been on the boat for about 4.5 years now, and I have orders and all my transfer stuff finished, but until my COVID waiver gets approved, Im not going anywhere. May have to go on deployment, and they rebilleted me into an NEC I dont have, to plug a gapped billet, so that's real loving swell. On the plus side, I'm debt free as of this month, so the rest is just going into a down payment on a house at Great Lakes when I eventually get there. I turned over most of my responsibilities, so most days consist of standing watch, playing vidjagames, and working out, if Im not sleeping.

Talked to my Dept Head about it a bit tonight. If I have to stay onboard for the next 7 months, he said I should take LPO. Myself and the other First approached our LCPO about it last year after evals, but he didnt want to make any changes; "it's not broke, so don't fix it". I carved out a name for myself elsewhere, even though the LPO ran the division into the ground, morale wise.

Feeling pretty bummed about potentially being held back by something completely out of my power. Command said I could/should go, Triad concurs, DLCPO concurs, everyone is on my side, but waiver is off ship and I'm at someone else's mercy.

Barnacle Snatcher fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 22, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
:lol: you're going to get stuck and end up doing a 200+ at sea like that other boat

edit : if they take on more food than 2 layers in berthing and start stacking a layer or more in the passageways you're boned

ded fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 22, 2020

Barnacle Snatcher
Aug 19, 2006

All things began in order so shall they end, so shall they begin again according to the Ordainer of Order and the mystical mathematicks of the City of Heaven.
Right? I have a friend who deployed in like, Jan or Feb? Only pulled back into port for the first time about a month ago, to the world as it is now. Its wild to think about.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well I dig it. Only piece of clothing I got on this trip so far. One of our enlisted is a real artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Barnacle Snatcher posted:

Sup, havent posted in like, 6~ years.

Been on the boat for about 4.5 years now, and I have orders and all my transfer stuff finished, but until my COVID waiver gets approved, Im not going anywhere. May have to go on deployment, and they rebilleted me into an NEC I dont have, to plug a gapped billet, so that's real loving swell. On the plus side, I'm debt free as of this month, so the rest is just going into a down payment on a house at Great Lakes when I eventually get there. I turned over most of my responsibilities, so most days consist of standing watch, playing vidjagames, and working out, if Im not sleeping.

Talked to my Dept Head about it a bit tonight. If I have to stay onboard for the next 7 months, he said I should take LPO. Myself and the other First approached our LCPO about it last year after evals, but he didnt want to make any changes; "it's not broke, so don't fix it". I carved out a name for myself elsewhere, even though the LPO ran the division into the ground, morale wise.

Feeling pretty bummed about potentially being held back by something completely out of my power. Command said I could/should go, Triad concurs, DLCPO concurs, everyone is on my side, but waiver is off ship and I'm at someone else's mercy.

How long ago did you submit it?

Honestly, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. I've yet to see a COVID transfer waiver denied since July, and I believe they're more of a formality than anything else.

I would say that your most likely source of delay would actually be any schools you have in route to your next job as a lot of training pipelines are still trying to recover from the spring lockdowns. If there's still a backlog at an I-Stop you may not be going anywhere for a while without intervention from your gaining command to waive it from your orders.