Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Is the point of ARC just to use an HDMI cable as an audio cable? I've noticed that some receivers and soundbars will have a pass through so you can go from a device, through the receiver to the TV and then also send audio back to the soundbar from other devices on the TV. But anything affordable only has on HDMI port for ARC so you have to waste on HDMI port on the TV to use as just an audio cable. It seems like an interesting concept that device manufacturers aren't sure how to use.

I think the idea is that the ARC port should be bidirectional, you shouldn't have to dedicate it just to audio output. I have a LG C9 with one HDMI port that supports ARC and two that don't, and the way it works is that the ARC port behaves as a video input or audio output automatically depending on whether the source I'm watching is plugged into the TV or the receiver. This may be working due to some HDMI CEC magic that I barely understand, idk.

The advantages are that it's nice to reuse the cable rather than adding another, and optical is an aging standard that has less bandwidth and supports fewer audio codecs than HDMI. That last bit is meaningful if you use devices that need to pass encoded audio to the receiver because they don't have the ability to decode it, like if you're using a Chromecast or your TV's Plex app to play media with e.g. Atmos surround sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-series-x-and-series-x-launch-lineups-announced-by-microsoft

But what if Xbox...

Good?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Folks, I can't get enough of Microsoft's classic first party game Doom 2 and I don't care who knows it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KN0K58EfJSg

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Siege on Oct 22nd.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10/19/coming-soon-xbox-game-pass-rainbow-six-siege/

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not sure why they haven't made this game F2P yet, they've done pretty much everything short of that (frequently on sale for next to nothing and it's even been on PS Now for the last six months).

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Only the second Ubisoft game to appear on Game Pass so far, I think. It's a little surprising to me because I would expect Ubisoft to try to get their subscription service on Xbox at some point just like EA did.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have thought Rainbow Six Siege was F2P this whole time. Is it not? What the hell game did I play if it isn't because I thought I played this.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

morallyobjected posted:

wouldn't it be easier to just develop for the higher selling systems than assume that one publisher is going to sell enough systems to make up for the money you're leaving on the table?

This is assuming the move to turn ZM into a 2nd party entity is meant to generate net profit.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

I have thought Rainbow Six Siege was F2P this whole time. Is it not? What the hell game did I play if it isn't because I thought I played this.

I think they've done free weekends and stuff like that. It's also been sold for like $5 at various points or something around that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

I think they've done free weekends and stuff like that. It's also been sold for like $5 at various points or something around that.

Gamepass is for the people who dont buy games tho

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Only like 4 of these games are built for next-gen. The rest have already been out for awhile now but are getting Series X enhancements.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That is true actually. I would never spend $5 to own RSS forever but I'll gladly spend $15 per month for the opportunity to maybe play it once. It's a weird mental thing and I fully understand how dumb it is.

I liken it to flipping through the channels and coming across one of your favorite movies on cable and you end up sitting there and watching the whole thing, commercials and all, even though you've got the actual DVD sitting on the shelf. There's a greater feeling of commitment putting on the DVD as opposed to just keeping it on TNT.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If I spent 13 bucks on Pikuniku I'd be mad. As one of a few games this month I played through it feels nice.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Gamepass is for the people who dont buy games tho

All indications are that this isn't true.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-27/microsoft-s-game-pass-subscription-is-dramatically-changing-video-games

quote:

Contrary to expectations, Bond says, monthly plans get customers to spend more. A Game Pass subscription leads to about 20% more playing time. Users sample a wider variety of genres, and they generate 20% more in sales, both on titles not included in the plan and on extras such as downloadable content. Game Pass helped increase revenue for Xbox content and services by 65% in the most recent quarter. “People make this assumption that if you have a subscription, you stop buying games,” Bond says, but the opposite is true.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't know if I fall into the category of most users on Gamepass, but if I really enjoy a game on there, I am more likely to just buy it outright so I always have it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I said come in! posted:

I don't know if I fall into the category of most users on Gamepass, but if I really enjoy a game on there, I am more likely to just buy it outright so I always have it.

But what's the difference then between buying it or having acces to it through gamepass? Is it because the game will one day not be available on the service anymore? If so, why not wait until that day to buy it, then it'll be cheaper maybe or perhaps you've even gotten tired of it by then, saving you the money.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

But what's the difference then between buying it or having acces to it through gamepass? Is it because the game will one day not be available on the service anymore? If so, why not wait until that day to buy it, then it'll be cheaper maybe or perhaps you've even gotten tired of it by then, saving you the money.

You get a discount for buying Game Pass games and DLC, but you are correct that if you wait the games will almost certainly be cheaper.

Having said that, I've bought some Game Pass games because they went on 80% off sales with DLC or whatever or it's because I enjoyed the game and want to further support the developer. I just finished Ikenfell on Game Pass and then just bought a copy because I enjoyed it so much.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zerot posted:

All indications are that this isn't true.

Sorry cant argue with facts
Dont matter if they buy after using gp. They dont buy in the first place

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 19, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Question for a streaming noob: is there currently some way to stream my Xbox to my iMac? The display I'm using with it is Thunderbolt only so a hard connection is a no-go atm.
Steaming to play, not capture btw

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Just get a dongle?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can use OneCast and it will work fairly well, although I probably wouldn't want to play any twitch shooters on it.

https://onecast.me/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Df has thermals up. Inside stays cool, manages to get most of the heat out in its 140 degree exhaust plume. Test was only at 2/3rds of max power draw though so could get hotter but seems confirmed that any heat it makes is a human environment problem, not a engineering problem...unless your cat sits on it.
Ssd removeable gets up to 113 degrees.
Its all pretty normal stuff...unless your cat sits on it

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

odd part is DF's analysis on the situation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ22I9WGIvw) doesn't really match up with the other thermal video i've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5eXwMCa3Ko

namely DF had their phone-app thermal reading (lol this is where we're at for the high-end console technical analysis these days) reading at 62C, then said they didn't bother with a db meter as it seemed fine. but the above heard the fan start to ramp up after 56C. there wasn't a single word mentioned on ambient temperature or any other variables they tried to control for. claiming that vertical orientation is better as heat rises... that's an embarrassing statement for a technical outlet. hot air rises slowly, a fan destroys it by orders of magnitude. at least focus on how the fan can be more effective horizontally, or there can be more intake in a vertical orientation - just give some technical basis for the statement

ultimately though i still think we're lacking native series x games that push the gpu to really get a read on how effective their cooling system is. it's incredibly misleading to buyers to focus on older titles and games that had patches to use parts of the new machine, but they want to get these videos out early for views rather than having any rigor. i'm incredibly interested in how they frame cross-gen first-party comparisons going forward though if gears 5 will be compared to a native ps5 game, or if they'll find a multi-plat and hope the settings are like-for-like

ya it won't set the house on fire, it's just really dishonest to give this level of technical analysis to the public and not give any other comparison to them and just handwave it was "it seemed fine to me". even peaks on temperature and a db meter in a controlled environment for each of the more intensive games on each console would give some idea of the difference to the buyer. end of the day a db test isn't that useful compared to frequency analysis for noise spikes that stand out to the ear though but i digress...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
"it seemed fine to me" is exactly the amount of information the public should be looking for in their next-gen console thermal reviews.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it's just really dishonest to give this level of technical analysis to the public and not give any other comparison to them and just handwave it was "it seemed fine to me"

lmfao it's a free youtube channel, not some sort of scientific journal beholden to public scrutiny

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

doing it right could be free too i guess unless im secretly charged by gamers nexus when i watch their vids

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

namely DF had their phone-app thermal reading (lol this is where we're at for the high-end console technical analysis these days) reading at 62C

that's not just a phone app, they're using a FLIR ONE which is a real deal thermal camera that just uses a phone for its display

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

that's not just a phone app, they're using a FLIR ONE which is a real deal thermal camera that just uses a phone for its display
Wow. It's just really dishonest to write up a 3 paragraph response to the DF thermal analysis and not even fully research the methodology.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Real hurthling! posted:

doing it right could be free too i guess unless im secretly charged by gamers nexus when i watch their vids

Buy a modmat

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Some Goon posted:

Buy a modmat

they are nice looking
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/...pg?format=1500w
not 100 dollars nice looking vs a plain xacto mat tho

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Wow. It's just really dishonest to write up a 3 paragraph response to the DF thermal analysis and not even fully research the methodology.

The public deserve better

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The public deserve better

Have you *seen* the public lately? No they don't.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lmfao it's a free youtube channel, not some sort of scientific journal beholden to public scrutiny

if its not peer reviewed, I don't waste my precious time.

Were people this anal about temperatures when the pro and one X came out or is this a new fetish?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's just used as fodder for people desperate to make the console wars a thing again. If it doesn't start your house on fire and it won't be susceptible to hardware failure like the RROD then I don't know why anyone would give a drat about any of it other than the curiosity of it. It's less than meaningless.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

repiv posted:

i did see it was the flir module for use with a phone in the video, i still thought it was a bizarre choice of tool when they've had ir cameras in the past though. either way an ir camera is more a tool for showing the hot/cold surface temperatures in realtime, not for giving degree-specific measurements that they seem to be trying to use it as but i blame flir's marketers for that

American McGay posted:

it's digital foundry though, they don't have any concrete methodologies and seem to go with whatever they have at-hand on the day. i wouldn't be giving them the side-eye if they didn't try to put themselves forward as anything but game reviewers trying to imitate technical analysts they've seen elsewhere though. the disappointing part is how embedded they are in the console review circuit and how their reworded marketing bulletpoints gets ate up by the gaming community

Real hurthling! posted:

ya i'm looking forward to when they grab the consoles and rip them apart, and they have strict methodologies and controlled testing to give comparisons to other devices as well. amazing what a patreon funded youtuber can do vs a video game journalism company 21 years in (or 17 for digital foundry tbf).

Crafty posted:

if its not peer reviewed, I don't waste my precious time.

Were people this anal about temperatures when the pro and one X came out or is this a new fetish?
ya they were, gn has a xbox one x video where they did a proper thermal test by attaching a thermistor directly to the apu and other breakdowns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPKae-do4CY

they also have better ears in the industry than DF given they mentioned ps5 having a liquid metal cooling solution last december, or at least they're willing to tell the public it rather than get cosy with marketing teams

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I just want to be told how much of a clearance I need around the vents.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Thom12255 posted:

I just want to be told how much of a clearance I need around the vents.

Like, several inches (~twice several centimeters)? Just don't put it in an enclosed space thinking that it counts if its not near the edges.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I'm going to use my xbox series x to inflate a hot air ballon and float way on my dreams

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Does gamer nexus do consoles I thought he was a pc guy only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thats why the slogan is power your dreams