Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bartok posted:

Why do so many of the wrestlers in NJPW have cauliflower ears?

Because they beat the poo poo out of the sides of each others' heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know who you're thinking of specifically, but Ishimori and Tanahashi both have amateur wrestling experience and that's the easiest way to get cauliflower ear.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bartok posted:

A lot of wrestlers there have an amateur background and I believe they do a lot of amateur drills in the dojo.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

bartok posted:

Amateur wrestling backgrounds and NJPW dojo shoot/catch wrestling training.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Who can you recall wearing actual headgear, besides Rick Steiner and Kurt Angle (for like 2 weeks)? I think Michael Cole wore it once or twice.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Red posted:

Who can you recall wearing actual headgear, besides Rick Steiner and Kurt Angle (for like 2 weeks)? I think Michael Cole wore it once or twice.

Josh Alexander is the first person that came to my mind in terms of current performers.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Tim Donst?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

wait, lemme see if he's wearing headgear in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEKdT12ORO0

aw, yep, he is.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Deathlove posted:

wait, lemme see if he's wearing headgear in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEKdT12ORO0

aw, yep, he is.

Didn't do him any good.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Chris Candido had some headgear in ECW during the angle where Lance Storm ripped part of his ear off I think?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Red posted:

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Excuse me, but that is a WAR BONNET.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Excuse me, but that is a WAR BONNET.

I can't believe I can't find a picture of Hogan wearing Angle's headgear/hairpiece as a retort. :smith:

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

Red posted:

I can't believe I can't find a picture of Hogan wearing Angle's headgear/hairpiece as a retort. :smith:

Edit: misread your post, still keeping Angle’s pics below

https://twitter.com/RealKurtAngle/status/952603154272653312?s=20

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's the deal with Samoa Joe vs. Necro Butcher? I hear about it all the time but have avoided it because I'm not into death match wrestling.

Is it something I need to see anyway? What's so important about it?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's the deal with Samoa Joe vs. Necro Butcher? I hear about it all the time but have avoided it because I'm not into death match wrestling.

It's more or less a perfect example of a specific match style, so it gets referenced quite a lot because of that.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It is an incredibly stiff brawl. It's not a deathmatch in the traditional sense, as in few weapons are used, but Joe busts Necro open with a stiff headbutt early, they beat the gently caress out of each other in the crowd, Joe drops Necro on his bean with a suplex off the apron, and it ends with a knee strike and kick by Joe who is covered in Necro's blood. It's just a short, intense, stiff match that was hyped to be a bloodbath and delivered.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Have shock jocks or shock jock sidekicks ever been used in a wrestling promotion that was currently "good." Like, a show most fans liked at the time, not were the shock jocks used well.

Shocktober has me thinking about how the biggest shock jocks would never lower themselves to do wrestling (while they would have wrestlers on as guests) but the B tier shock jocks like Mancow and Bubba jumped at the chance.

But whenever shock jocks or their sidekicks appear, it always seems like the lowest of the low points for the promotion quality wise and maybe business wise too. WCW had Mancow in 99 and the Wack Pack in 2000. TNA had Bubba in 2010. WWE has Sam Roberts now.

Was there ever a time a company people liked brought in shock jocks? Am I forgetting something like Imus appearing in 89 WCW, Opie and Anthony doing a run in on 2000 WWE or Stern showing up in 90s All Japan?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I think O&A did XFL pregame or something.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I just remembered Mick breaking Bubba's nose when he was supposed to give him a worked punch and my day is slightly better.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ron & fez were on a wcw pre-show thing for the 1994 bash at the beach but i don't know if it is on video tape at all because it was for the florida crowd, and i don't remember if people liked wcw then

it might have been the 96 show instead. either way they were on a different show at the time before ron & fez started. i don't think anyone here knows what ron & fez is except me. but that's ok

I forgot to say the match was the sassy boys against two women. the sassy boys were a "joke" tag team where the joke was that they weren't heterosexual and that they had to fight women for some reason. I guess people probably liked this back then in Florida

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 18, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't suppose Alice Cooper counts but it was kind of the same idea.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Well, it was a total dream match at the time it happened, 6 months or so removed from Joe's ROH Title reign, known for a very tough, stiff style, meanwhile Necro was generally regarded as the best US deathmatch guy at the time, they were both regarded as fantastic brawlers, very hard hitters, so everyone was incredibly excited (including the commentators which if I remember right was Dave Prazak, CM Punk & Eddie Kingston), they'd never met before.

It's hot from the second Necro gets in the ring, they don't wait for the bell, they throw the ref out of the ring & just loving unload bombs on each other. Within a couple of minutes they are in the crowd & Necro is busted open hardway from headbutts. They throw chairs at each other, there's a powerslam that is an all-time sick bump, it's loving insanity. So it's not a deathmatch but does feature a crowd brawl & chairshots (the type of chairshots they did in 2005 indies, which is to say loving ugly ones that caused concussions), there's strikes that verge somewhere between very stiff & sickeningly stiff. It's not for everyone, but if you have an appreciation for nasty brawling it really did live up to the expectations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Have shock jocks or shock jock sidekicks ever been used in a wrestling promotion that was currently "good." Like, a show most fans liked at the time, not were the shock jocks used well.

Shocktober has me thinking about how the biggest shock jocks would never lower themselves to do wrestling (while they would have wrestlers on as guests) but the B tier shock jocks like Mancow and Bubba jumped at the chance.

But whenever shock jocks or their sidekicks appear, it always seems like the lowest of the low points for the promotion quality wise and maybe business wise too. WCW had Mancow in 99 and the Wack Pack in 2000. TNA had Bubba in 2010. WWE has Sam Roberts now.

Was there ever a time a company people liked brought in shock jocks? Am I forgetting something like Imus appearing in 89 WCW, Opie and Anthony doing a run in on 2000 WWE or Stern showing up in 90s All Japan?

Takeshi Kitano feels close tot his despite being a comedian, though his involvement in wrestling was not very good for New Japan!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Danny Bonaduce was a Chicago C tier shock jock in 1994 and fought one of the Brady kids on the dark match before Spring Stampede 94.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

forkboy84 posted:

(including the commentators which if I remember right was Dave Prazak, CM Punk & Eddie Kingston)

Kingston and Punk absolutely losing their poo poo on commentary is just one of the many, many highlights of the match.

"What does it take to keep the Necro Butcher down?"

"You throw him out of the front door, I'll drive over the son of a bitch in my car, and if that doesn't kill him I'll just keep going and drive straight into the ocean."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m holding out for Shockvember.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Danny Bonaduce was a Chicago C tier shock jock in 1994 and fought one of the Brady kids on the dark match before Spring Stampede 94.

More importantly he was Danny from the Partridge Family.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I definitely remember Ron and Fez. What a strange story poor Fez had, pretending to be over the top gay for years and finally realizing "Wait, I am actually gay"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Does anyone here have the SPAULDINGZ to argue that Vic Venom should count as a successful shock jock --> wrestling transition, since he got into the business through his radio show?

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Does that segment with the Oddities and some of Howard Stern's guys count?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cavauro posted:

ron & fez were on a wcw pre-show thing for the 1994 bash at the beach but i don't know if it is on video tape at all because it was for the florida crowd, and i don't remember if people liked wcw then

it might have been the 96 show instead. either way they were on a different show at the time before ron & fez started. i don't think anyone here knows what ron & fez is except me. but that's ok

I forgot to say the match was the sassy boys against two women. the sassy boys were a "joke" tag team where the joke was that they weren't heterosexual and that they had to fight women for some reason. I guess people probably liked this back then in Florida
https://streamable.com/nsr1dq

Until pulling up the clip just now, I don't think I ever noticed that Fez was one of the Sassy Boys (with "Fast Eddie"). It was actually a handicap match, the Sassy Boys vs. local indie wrestler Molly McShane, with Ron Bennington and Ron Diaz in their respective corners and Jimmy Hart as referee. It's clearly one of the original Jimmy Hart/radio DJ promotions. I have no idea if it was promoted outside of Ron & Ron, though, as it doesn't look like it was mentioned in the Orlando Sentinel and I dunno what kind of localized promos aired in syndication for WCW back then. It looks like it went on super early, too, since the building is super empty-looking. (Although McShane gets a surprisingly big pop when she wins.)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

great post. I am very happy to read and watch that. david with the good brain

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Bushmeister posted:

Kingston and Punk absolutely losing their poo poo on commentary is just one of the many, many highlights of the match.

"What does it take to keep the Necro Butcher down?"

"You throw him out of the front door, I'll drive over the son of a bitch in my car, and if that doesn't kill him I'll just keep going and drive straight into the ocean."

Man, it's sad what happened to Necro. Before the lymphoma and brain damage that turned him from a Kucinich-voting hippie to a Trump guy, he was an unkillable redneck basket case who was really fun to follow on the indies.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

DeathChicken posted:

I definitely remember Ron and Fez. What a strange story poor Fez had, pretending to be over the top gay for years and finally realizing "Wait, I am actually gay"

Fezzie seems happy and content in his retirement at least. Still keeps having to go get stents put in, though

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Claytor posted:

Does that segment with the Oddities and some of Howard Stern's guys count?

It does, I couldn't remember if they did actually appear with the Oddities.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Was Nicole Bass known for her stuff with Stern before she turned up in ECW and WWF? I don't actually know what she did, just that she was there.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Was Nicole Bass known for her stuff with Stern before she turned up in ECW and WWF? I don't actually know what she did, just that she was there.
Yes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I don't think I can imagine a worse life than Nicole Bass's, and I wonder if anyone (Vince, Stern) gave her passing a second thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Does anyone here have the SPAULDINGZ to argue that Vic Venom should count as a successful shock jock --> wrestling transition, since he got into the business through his radio show?

You're right, but I think MRT was asking a different question, about bringing in someone as an on air figure specifically to capitalize their role as a shock jock or associated cultural figure, rather than the slow magazine editor to booker to on air figure path Russo took.