Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

nerve posted:

Anti-capitalist struggles in a pro-capital economy

Session Cost:
$20 - $40

:berninator:

ya it's very reasonable and the difference in cost means you get to choose what you pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Knot My President! posted:

My friend who has (medicated) depression tripped with me on Friday for the first time and hasn't had depression since. Since regularly taking psilocybin months ago I haven't been depressive either and my ptsd gets better every day :unsmith: *

* we also attend therapy regularly and are properly medicated

as a severely depressed person with fairly treatment resistant depression* i look forward to the day that i can try some manageable (read: low) dose of psychedelics in a therapist's office and talk through my poo poo.

*re: treatment resistant depression: i haven't done ECT or ketamine infusions, but have tried basically every major anti-depressant that's not a tricyclic or MAOI. i'm afraid i'm going to have to try those, or something more drastic, next :(

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i've been spotty taking my SSRIs this month and had a sudden wall of OCD symptoms this week, I wonder why??

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I am...severely underestimating my ability to cope with the month of October in the wake of being laid off of what was probably the best job I'll ever have. Was it a typical top-down capitalist infrastructure? Sure was. Could the pay have been better? drat skippy. Could we have had a more inclusive medical plan? Hell yeah.

Did our client-facing bulletins like like they got their format from an early 90's geocities page? gently caress no.

Did we source security-awareness content directly from loving YOUTUBE and send it out to our users as authoritative information? gently caress no.

Did we rely on Adobe (loving, adobe, lmfao, motherfuckers couldn't even secure flash LMAO) to create our security awareness content? gently caress no.

It amazes me that this place hasn't crumbled under the weight of its own incompetence in the years I was away.

NCSAM is going to be a bleak, bleak month for me.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Finicums Wake posted:

as a severely depressed person with fairly treatment resistant depression* i look forward to the day that i can try some manageable (read: low) dose of psychedelics in a therapist's office and talk through my poo poo.

*re: treatment resistant depression: i haven't done ECT or ketamine infusions, but have tried basically every major anti-depressant that's not a tricyclic or MAOI. i'm afraid i'm going to have to try those, or something more drastic, next :(

yeah, i've applied to a couple psilocbyin trials even though it means i'd have to travel for them. i've tried every class of antidepressant pretty much, including tricyclics and MAOI, and am currently taking adhd meds which kinda helps a little.

i also just went on medical leave because i just couldn't handle work anymore. like hours to write a loving 3 line email, blowing thru deadlines, unable to engage in meetings, just couldn't do it. like i'd write a task list, break stuff into chunks, whatever, but i just couldn't get myself to do anything.

i am in therapy and on a waiting list for a DBT group, but jeez, it still sucks. my pdoc is focusing primarily on the adhd now, but i've been through a few diff adhd meds now too. honestly i think a lot of it is just plain burnout and no amount of adhd meds (or antidepressants), or talk therapy, or cbt, or anything is going to fix it if i keep trying to ya know, work through it. and i've had years of just pushing through it and ignoring it.

it sucks!!!!!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
anyone have any experience with transcranial magnetic stimulation?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

indigi posted:

anyone have any experience with transcranial magnetic stimulation?

I have not done it but have heard some good things. From my pedestrian understanding of it there is a success rate that's hard to measure, just like talk therapy. Does one feel better? If yes, for how long? Is it lasting? Does it "work" if it provides temporary relief? Or does temporary relief just contribute to the lack of motivation for larger change one needs to make? Very tough questions to answer.

Anecdotally, I have a close friend who did it for a while. He had seen 3 therapists for 3 months each over the course of 1 year. He said each therapist terminated the therapy after 3 months. I asked why and got strange, roundabout answers. Being in the field and knowing his life I can pretty much guess that they determined it was unethical to continue since it was probably clear no progress was being made. I asked my supervisor about this from a theoretical perspective: "Let's say a client goes to 3 different therapists in 1 year and none work, is it possible the client is just a very difficult case or has a combination of very difficult issues that most people can't work with?" Their response was basically, "3 people, with 3000 supervised hours each, then years and years of experience on top of it, and THEY are the ones terminating? At some point you have to ask, is the person ready for change?"

And I think about my friend often since I care about him so much but that was pretty much the situation. He wasn't ready for change, and the other pieces of his family system (wife, brother, parents, friends, etc) actually didn't want him to change either. So no one wanted change! When he's ready and when the other pieces of the system have aligned goals I know he'll get there, because it's not about willpower or courage for him. So he's doing the TCMS you mentioned and when I asked him if he feels better he said, "I dunno." This is the 100th treatment he's tried in a decade, none have "worked". Is he really so special that nothing provides any alleviation? Or does his pain provide a service to the internal system he's in, and to his family system?

Anyway, my point is, there is no silver bullet. People who have gone through the 12 steps really know this. They understand it takes big systemic changes to heal big wounds. So it's possible TCMS loosens some neural pathways so you can do the healing work, but you'll have to actually go and do the healing work after TCMS (or any other treatment) has done its job. People forget that second part so often (or maybe they're forgetting on purpose, since the second part is the hard part). Good luck on whatever you do decide to do.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
is it a bad idea to have your PCP and psychiatrist be the same person?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

nerve posted:

is it a bad idea to have your PCP and psychiatrist be the same person?

It probably depends on what kind of care you need. PCPs will sometimes prescribe anxiety meds and the like, or refill other psych maintenance prescriptions, I think. But you definitely shouldn't go to a psychiatrist for a sore throat :)

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Busty Nutsack posted:

It probably depends on what kind of care you need. PCPs will sometimes prescribe anxiety meds and the like, or refill other psych maintenance prescriptions, I think. But you definitely shouldn't go to a psychiatrist for a sore throat :)

it would be totally separate appointments, this Doctor is double boarded.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

nerve posted:

it would be totally separate appointments, this Doctor is double boarded.

ooooooh. I think I would like that, personally, assuming I have a good rapport with them

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

This is never going to end, is it?

What is even the point anymore? Can’t exercise, can’t visit my family, work and home have merged into this blob where even my coworkers never call me. It’s house arrest. How am I supposed to live like this?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's generally awful, and as isolated as I've been for most of my life even I am getting squirrely after six months of this poo poo.

That said although my cardio has tailed off (following along with YouTube videos) I have upped my resistance band game. I have a timer on my desk set for 10 minutes, and all day long I do sets of exercises with the bands. Squats, presses, curls... all sorts of exercises. If I look at the timer and it's at zero then I'm clear to do another round.

It took me a while to get a feel for it, and to figure out how to reproduce what I used to do in a gym, but I feel pretty good about it now.

When the weather is cool enough I try to remember to go for a walk. I used to walk an awful lot and miss it.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Gnossiennes posted:

yeah, i've applied to a couple psilocbyin trials even though it means i'd have to travel for them. i've tried every class of antidepressant pretty much, including tricyclics and MAOI, and am currently taking adhd meds which kinda helps a little.

i also just went on medical leave because i just couldn't handle work anymore. like hours to write a loving 3 line email, blowing thru deadlines, unable to engage in meetings, just couldn't do it. like i'd write a task list, break stuff into chunks, whatever, but i just couldn't get myself to do anything.

i am in therapy and on a waiting list for a DBT group, but jeez, it still sucks. my pdoc is focusing primarily on the adhd now, but i've been through a few diff adhd meds now too. honestly i think a lot of it is just plain burnout and no amount of adhd meds (or antidepressants), or talk therapy, or cbt, or anything is going to fix it if i keep trying to ya know, work through it. and i've had years of just pushing through it and ignoring it.

it sucks!!!!!

it's funny that you mention ADHD medicine. i'm on adderall for help with issues concentrating and committing to poo poo i need to do, but it seems to have relieved my depression symptoms almost as much as a maxed out SSRI dose. i feel like adderall allows me to perform basic functions of daily living that my otherwise-crippling depression would keep me from doing. poo poo like not living in total filth and showering and wearing clean clothes. it is, of course, not a fix for depression, but i can definitely see how it alleviates some of the problems that come from depression.

also, if you don't mind sharing, where does one find such psilocbyin trials to even sign up for?

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Oct 13, 2020

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Finicums Wake posted:

it's funny that you mention ADHD medicine. i'm on adderall for help with issues concentrating and committing to poo poo i need to do, but it seems to have relieved my depression symptoms almost as much as a maxed out SSRI dose. i feel like adderall allows me to perform basic functions of daily living that my otherwise-crippling depression would keep me from doing. poo poo like not living in total filth and showering and wearing clean clothes. it is, of course, not a fix for depression, but i can definitely see how it alleviates some of the problems that come from depression.

also, if you don't mind sharing, where does one find such psilocbyin trials to even sign up for?

https://usonaclinicaltrials.org/
i've heard back from one so far, just to get more info/fill out more questionnaires. tbh i am not very hopeful about hearing back from them, because of the adhd diagnosis/adhd meds. plus even if i got into the trial, you're just as likely to get placebo as psilocybin, and what do you do after? idk, i just feel kinda defeatist about it!

adhd meds: for me, adderall worked ok for a time, but kinda turned me robot-y (i felt guilty if i wasn't putting in 12hr+ work days), my first try with methylphenidate made me paranoid af, strattera was...... a bad time. i'm trying methylphenidate again right now, but way more low and slow titration.

i don't really know what else to try. i'm glad my pdoc likes a challenge and hasn't just written me off yet, and has been supportive towards me taking medical leave from work.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm gonna have to stop going to physical therapy even though I'm not better yet. 8-10 people crammed in here all morning.

Now I get to be broken indefinitely, gonna be awesome on top of my unmedicated depression lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Marx Was A Lib posted:

I'm gonna have to stop going to physical therapy even though I'm not better yet. 8-10 people crammed in here all morning.

Now I get to be broken indefinitely, gonna be awesome on top of my unmedicated depression lmao

I had to stop because I wasn't showing enough progress for my insurance to keep paying for it. lol. lmao. lomarf

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

indigi posted:

I had to stop because I wasn't showing enough progress for my insurance to keep paying for it. lol. lmao. lomarf

my therapist just told me last week that i was making "explosive" range of motion gains.

/sigh

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Marx Was A Lib posted:

my therapist just told me last week that i was making "explosive" range of motion gains.

/sigh

glad to hear you can throw grenades again

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

glad to hear you can throw grenades again

GUARDIAN! Did you throw enough grenades that round?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Marx Was A Lib posted:

GUARDIAN! Did you throw enough grenades that round?

:hmmyes:

Butcer
Dec 11, 2012

by Pragmatica
I am really scared :( I feel so hopeless and i am afraid that society might collapse. I have not had suicidal thoughts for years but i can feel them creeping up again because of the long isolation.

Butcer has issued a correction as of 05:12 on Oct 15, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Butcer posted:

I am really scared :( I feel so hopeless and i am afraid that society might collapse. I have not had suicidal thoughts for years but i can feel them creeping up again because of the long isolation.

You're not alone, believe me. I had a bad enough freak out a few months ago I was almost hospitalized. There is a poo poo ton going on in the world right now and not a lot of reason to feel good about any of it.

The only thing I can tell you is to keep connections with people and keep talking to them. (support groups are great for this) The less you feel alone, the better off you'll be.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

I have some job interviews this week, I'm hoping at least that goes well

I might advance to signing the final paperwork as soon as the weekend :unsmith: finally something going alright

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

I might advance to signing the final paperwork as soon as the weekend :unsmith: finally something going alright

gently caress yeah!!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

so I appear to have a pinched nerve in my back, while this on it's own is not a mental health concern "hurting constantly if I move" is taking it's toll on my already fragile mental state, do you all think it's safe to go get this checked out? how covid proof are medical clinics and testing facilities now? I expect I'd have to see a GP for a referral to a lab to get it x-rayed or something so that means two separate buildings on two separate dates

to give context, I would rate this about on par with a second-degree burn pain-wise when it peaks but it seems to fluctuate and I can make it stop for awhile if I lie down on the floor for awhile, I could probably just grit my teeth and power through it for awhile if it means not catching covid and giving it to my wife

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

blatman posted:

so I appear to have a pinched nerve in my back, while this on it's own is not a mental health concern "hurting constantly if I move" is taking it's toll on my already fragile mental state, do you all think it's safe to go get this checked out? how covid proof are medical clinics and testing facilities now? I expect I'd have to see a GP for a referral to a lab to get it x-rayed or something so that means two separate buildings on two separate dates

to give context, I would rate this about on par with a second-degree burn pain-wise when it peaks but it seems to fluctuate and I can make it stop for awhile if I lie down on the floor for awhile, I could probably just grit my teeth and power through it for awhile if it means not catching covid and giving it to my wife

this is not mental health-related advice but it's something i give out every time it's appropriate, i have really devastating backaches on occasion from my dad, and am much fatter than he ever was so it's doubly nasty. I've also pinched a nerve back there completely incidentally of that to the point that it was nasty to get out of bed, just to give some bonafides about this

get some Doan's, generic magnesium salicylate, and keep it around everywhere you are that you stay for any period of time. it is the closest i've seen over the counter poo poo resemble magic and it has got me from literally unable to move to fine in no time at all.

this may not work for you and is not a substitute for actual medical advice but I would literally be afraid to live without having it around nowadays. Get real help if you can, but try this in the meantime imo, and feel better~

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Zvahl posted:

this is not mental health-related advice but it's something i give out every time it's appropriate, i have really devastating backaches on occasion from my dad, and am much fatter than he ever was so it's doubly nasty. I've also pinched a nerve back there completely incidentally of that to the point that it was nasty to get out of bed, just to give some bonafides about this

get some Doan's, generic magnesium salicylate, and keep it around everywhere you are that you stay for any period of time. it is the closest i've seen over the counter poo poo resemble magic and it has got me from literally unable to move to fine in no time at all.

this may not work for you and is not a substitute for actual medical advice but I would literally be afraid to live without having it around nowadays. Get real help if you can, but try this in the meantime imo, and feel better~

much appreciated! i'm going to pick some up tomorrow and see if that makes me less crazy, it's getting increasingly difficult to not just completely break down emotionally having to deal with 2020 plus already being crazy going into 2020 plus can't move good

edit: turns out it can potentiate invega, I might have to talk to my psychiatrist about this first

edit 2: apparently invega can cause random uncontrollable muscle spasms and that might be what's going on with my back, I might be returning to this thread very soon as I transition to new meds

blatman has issued a correction as of 16:38 on Oct 16, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chris James 2 posted:

:hellyeah:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sertraline stopped doing anything at all for my mood, and I've just had a month of fluoxetine making my depression and anxiety worse (along with all the usual SSRI side effects).

I don't think I've got it in me to do another month of trying another antidepressant

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tarnop posted:

Sertraline stopped doing anything at all for my mood, and I've just had a month of fluoxetine making my depression and anxiety worse (along with all the usual SSRI side effects).

I don't think I've got it in me to do another month of trying another antidepressant

Have you talked to your doctor about SNRIs? A lot of people I've talked to that have had problems keeping their antidepressant going swear by Pristiq. Might be something to ask about.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pristiq isn't licensed in the UK unfortunately. Effexor is, so I could ask about that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tarnop posted:

Pristiq isn't licensed in the UK unfortunately. Effexor is, so I could ask about that.

Be careful about effexor. It's one of those that will either work great or be terrible. Still, talk to your doctor and take their advice above mine :v:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

What I actually need is the waiting list for an ADHD assessment to be shorter

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I should probably talk to someone about whether I really am ace/aro or just fat and depressed

I dunno

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

skaboomizzy posted:

I should probably talk to someone about whether I really am ace/aro or just fat and depressed

I dunno

On the upside, "gently caress it" works for both!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tarnop posted:

What I actually need is the waiting list for an ADHD assessment to be shorter

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah. Yes. Eight months in now. Solidarity friend.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
A thing I've been doing to cope with the eternal (US) pandemic is imagining going on a vacation to a new place. I was supposed to go to Santa Fe, NM a few months ago for a concert that obviously didn't happen. I was really excited for that.

Right now I'm fantasizing about going to Milwaukee and Detroit. Why? I don't know, I am sure I made fun of those places as a younger man. But it sounds really fun to meet people that are different than I am these days. Also the the Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory looks so cool.

Anyway, I'm getting back into a MH schedule, trying to get my meds adjusted and am like one notch above surviving. hope you are all doing as well as possible

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

snip

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Sep 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Milwaukee summers are so good