Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Depending on the game, it's usually easier to Gotta Go Fast in Mario than it is Sonic, which is why I've never really gotten into Sonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tango alpha delta posted:

I bought Max Payne 3 during a Steam Sale but started playing it for the first time yesterday. I'm already on chapter 10, so five more to go.

This is the best story line that the Houser brothers have ever written. I am very surprised at how good this game actually is.

The story itself would have been better if they hadn’t done the Houser Brothers “All grim all the time”’and added some levity to it from time to time, but there’s a great bit towards the end where Max has just loving Had It and it generally improves from there. Looks like it’s around Chapter 12. Once he’s yelled”YOU’RE TURNING PEOPLE INTO loving GLUE!!!!” You’re in for a wild ride

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

ikanreed posted:

Always assuming negative intent

lol, my 65" TV was a Costco special and my computer is a decade old i7-2600k. I just keep slapping new video cards into it and it works with literally every PC game ever made. 200 frames per second in Doom 2016 with a 1070 GTX Ti in my ancient system is absolutely astonishing.

I guess THATS the real appeal of PC gaming; just keep throwing a new video card into an old computer and you are good to go. e:You could actually consider this the only legitimate "Secret that computer manufacturers don't want you to know".

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 18, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

lol, my 65" TV was a Costco special and my computer is a decade old i7-2600k. I just keep slapping new video cards into it and it works with literally every PC game ever made. 200 frames per second in Doom 2016 with a 1070 GTX Ti in my ancient system is absolutely astonishing.

I guess THATS the real appeal of PC gaming; just keep throwing a new video card into an old computer and you are good to go.

Whoa Costco

Look at mr moneybags

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I guess THATS the real appeal of PC gaming; just keep throwing a new video card into an old computer and you are good to go.

You’re probably going to have to upgrade the CPU soon since the new consoles are going to be pushing CPU requirements, but that CPU is 10 years old in January, which is a crazy good run.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Whoa Costco

Look at mr moneybags

I don't mean to flex, but my newest vehicle is a seven year old Toyota Sienna. Pretty crazy, I know.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You’re probably going to have to upgrade the CPU soon since the new consoles are going to be pushing CPU requirements, but that CPU is 10 years old in January, which is a crazy good run.

I've pushed it as far as it can go and I'm going to miss it when I upgrade. The i7-2600k was an amazing CPU.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm still on an i5 4570 and I'm struggling to find a reason to upgrade.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The story itself would have been better if they hadn’t done the Houser Brothers “All grim all the time”’and added some levity to it from time to time, but there’s a great bit towards the end where Max has just loving Had It and it generally improves from there. Looks like it’s around Chapter 12. Once he’s yelled”YOU’RE TURNING PEOPLE INTO loving GLUE!!!!” You’re in for a wild ride

Alternate life Max is the levity, IMO.

And yeah its absolutely the best story the Housers will probably ever do

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I'm still on an i5 4570 and I'm struggling to find a reason to upgrade.

It really just ends up that you need a new MB with different slots and have to use a newer cpu socket now, looks like they aren't going to jump forward with cpus again any time soon.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'm still on an overclocked i5-750 that gets me 1080p/60 in all my games when paired with a GTX 970. It is probably time to upgrade soon though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
i5-4690k with a gtx 970, it still plays games so whatever

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Radeon RX 470

please don't kinkshame

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I preordered a PS5 cause my PS4 is dying and PS5 gonna have backwards compatibility and I care less and less about upgrading my PC over time

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Knowing the model of display adapter in your home computer is a sure sign you're a Funko! Pop -collecting Reddit liberal with Opinions about race and gender.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Mods are the most pointless thing to me
There were some old games where mods were really cool because the barrier to entry was so incredibly low. Anyone could make them with very little knowledge or skill. You could mess around with the way monsters behaved in Doom or add new units or techs in Civilization II or make your own Duke3D levels without really needing to understand anything about how those games worked.

And there are more modern games where making mods is more difficult/complicated but other people have put in that work for you to improve the game. Like with Saints Row 2 or Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

I guess THATS the real appeal of PC gaming; just keep throwing a new video card into an old computer and you are good to go. e:You could actually consider this the only legitimate "Secret that computer manufacturers don't want you to know".
The way I look at it is: I need a PC anyway so I may as well buy a graphics card instead of a console and that way I'll kill two birds with one stone and have every video game I've ever bought available to play on that one device - which I can easily plug into a TV and play with a controller just like a console if I want to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I cheat with PC gaming by not bothering with games til they're like 3 years old, they're usually half the price and all the overhyped garbage has been memory holed

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Tiggum posted:

The way I look at it is: I need a PC anyway so I may as well buy a graphics card instead of a console and that way I'll kill two birds with one stone and have every video game I've ever bought available to play on that one device - which I can easily plug into a TV and play with a controller just like a console if I want to.

Plus it's not like you'd just do this without mentioning it at any opportunity, so it's a fun conversation starter!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

To sum up, so far we have established that the PC has two advantages:
1) You have to fix your own drat games to play them.
2) You can pretend it's a console.
Anything else?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Plus it's not like you'd just do this without mentioning it at any opportunity, so it's a fun conversation starter!

Yeah, weird how I just posted that in the middle of an unrelated thread where no one had been talking about it already. :shrug:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Anything else?

pc is the ultimate gaming machine, because if you dont like the games u can just make your own

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Anything else?

Crossposting

Chomp8645 posted:

Theory: PC gaming most superior platform.
Evidence: Men of Skyrim

Exhibit A: Man Chests of Skyrim (console/vanilla)

Exhibit B: Man Chests of Skyrim (PC mods)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

pc is the ultimate gaming machine, because if you dont like the games u can just make your own

RPG Maker is on consoles, too

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

pc gaming is the ultimate machine for buying random poo poo on steam because you're bored and then playing them once before going back to playing only mobas or mmos or some dumb pc bullshit games like those

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Anything else?

It's the other way around: consoles pretend to be PCs. Companies have been trying to make that happen since the original Xbox lol

Console gaming isn't like it was in the SNES era. Consoles run operating systems now, and everything gets installations and patches to a local hard drive. Consoles are just PCs with specific hardware and publisher-imposed limitations

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 19, 2020

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

It's the other way around: consoles pretend to be PCs. Companies have been trying to make that happen since the original Xbox lol

Console gaming isn't like it was in the SNES era. Consoles run operating systems now, and everything gets installations and patches to a local hard drive. Consoles are just PC imitations

I can't tell if you're just dumb or trolling or both

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

I can't tell if you're just dumb or trolling or both

What’s the problem? What he says is true and common knowledge. Consoles were once distinct but now they are PCs with proprietary software.

That doesn’t make them bad. They are simple and fool proof and that has value to many people. But It is fact that they are just computers shackled to a particular corporation’s ecosystem.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Being almost-a-PC was even a marketing bullet for the launch PS3 and 360, this isn't a controversial point.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

What’s the problem? What he says is true and common knowledge. Consoles were once distinct but now they are PCs with proprietary software.

That doesn’t make them bad. They are simple and fool proof and that has value to many people. But It is fact that they are just computers shackled to a particular corporation’s ecosystem.

The problem is it's not true. I get that you believe it's true, and I'm pretty sure I understand why you believe it's true, but there are meaningful differences

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The PS3 let you install Linux to do... something.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Being almost-a-PC was even a marketing bullet for the launch PS3 and 360, this isn't a controversial point.

The last unique architecture for consoles was definitely the PS3. It’s still quite difficult to emulate the system even on a very powerful PC. It’s those pesky SPEs, so games that bang the hardware directly still give emulation a hard time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

signalnoise posted:

The problem is it's not true. I get that you believe it's true, and I'm pretty sure I understand why you believe it's true, but there are meaningful differences

What specifically is not true, though? That consoles run operating systems? That they install data? Those are both true. I don't even remember the last time that I played a console game that didn't install anything

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Barudak posted:

The PS3 let you install Linux to do... something.

The drama over "Other OS" being removed was worth making popcorn to watch.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

signalnoise posted:

You are correct. The biggest difference between current gen consoles and PCs is that memory reads and writes are the same speed, where on any PC memory writes are always slower than reads. So what you may ask? Well, game developers can do some very cool behind the scenes optimization tricks with gigabytes of unified memory.

e: Technical bullshit: ALL game logic MUST be computed during the few clock cycles that the console is not drawing the picture on the screen, called the VBI (vertical blank interval or vertical blank interrupt or whatever) Those precious few microseconds can make all the difference when testing a condition or writing an update to the game engine. Having memory reads and writes that are the same speed simplifies things considerably. I HAD to write my first smooth scrolling engine in assembly language because there was so much loving data to move in a really short space of time.

tldr: consoles contain some surprisingly sophisticated hardware that used to be the exclusive domain of multi-million dollar supercomputers.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 19, 2020

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

What specifically is not true, though? That consoles run operating systems? That they install data? Those are both true. I don't even remember the last time that I played a console game that didn't install anything

That consoles are "just PC imitations". Maybe it'd be more accurate to consider what you said as an argument with "consoles are just PC imitations" as the conclusion and just say your argument doesn't follow, and your conclusion is wrong. If using an operating system and installing/patching data for games is the level of granularity you're interested in, you can do that, but it's very dumb

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

An IBM mainframe is a PC, as it has an OS and mass memory.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

imagine a box where you could download huge anime titties, do your taxes and also play your favourite video games. Imagine the majesty of it. That right there is the level of intensity that you can only get through building your own pc.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

imagine a box where you could download huge anime titties, do your taxes and also play your favourite video games. Imagine the majesty of it. That right there is the level of intensity that you can only get through building your own pc.

my new visual novel H&R Cock where buxom animes reward you for getting the maximum possible deduction

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

3D Megadoodoo posted:

An IBM mainframe is a PC, as it has an OS and mass memory.

A casio calculator has an M+ button which makes it a computer in that it can store process and regurgitate data

The celeron your dad uses just swallows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

signalnoise posted:

my new visual novel H&R Cock where buxom animes reward you for getting the maximum possible deduction

You joke but there's absolutely VNs and animes this specific