Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I think the current world situation has people really bored, more than anything. High earners who might normally spend their summers traveling, doing outdoor activities with friends, etc. have mostly been working from home, not going out at night or on distant vacations dreaming of a future where they can travel and do fun camera things.

Younger, less well off people have dreams of becoming a Instagram "influencer" or a running a lucrative Youtube channel to either allow them to quit crappy jobs they hate or allow them to make any money at all in the current world situation.

I've read several things about professional wedding shooters selling off some of their gear because the market it hot and they don't have any bookings coming up. The professional photographers and videographers are really only a small slice of the camera market, even in a market shrinking due to smartphones.

can't spend $20k this year on an african safari or ride elephants in asia, might as well get a nice camera for next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

melon cat posted:

Don't forget carefully staged photos of their new camera body "floating" above their hands and golden hour "BTS" shots of their caged out rig in a field somewhere.

I honestly don't understand how with COVID gutting every creative industry people are still dumping thousands on pre-orders for the latest current-gen camera bodies. The creative industry is in the worst shape it has ever been yet camera bros are spending more money than I've ever seen. I listed my Ronin-S for sale because I grew out of that "GiMbAl aLl ThE ThInGs" phase and my mailbox was bursting with people asking if it's available, all offering above asking.

This whole industry now revolves around people arguing about specs sheets, unboxing videos, selling LUTs and selling their totally Awesome Filmmaking Masterclass for $199 $15.
Everyone's bored at home if they have an ounce of common sense and the privilege to do so, and people who could afford system gear before covid have been proportionally less affected by the economic downturn.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
This is apparently the road map for 2021 RF lenses. CR2 is typically very accurate, although things can obviously change behind the scenes.

https://www.canonrumors.com/well-well-well-could-this-be-canons-lens-roadmap-for-2021-cr2/

quote:

These lenses are likely next in the pipeline:

Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
External zoom, extremely small size. I’m told it’s about the size of a coke can.
Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM
This lens will be better optically and in build quality than the EF version.

These lenses are likely being announced in 2021:

The TS-R lenses are “groundbreaking” autofocus tilt-shift lenses for the RF mount.

Canon TS-R 14mm f/4L
Canon TS-R 24mm f/3.5L
Canon RF 10-24mm f/4L USM
Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM
Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro
Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM
Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Canon RF 135mm f/1.4L USM
Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-7.1 IS USM
Canon RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM
Canon RF 500mm f/4L IS USM
Canon RF 600mm f/4L IS USM
Canon RF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM
Canon RF 1200mm f/8L IS USM.

edit: 100-400 is supposed to be a lot smaller than the existing 100-500mm.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 9, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those supertele primes are bonkers.

I really dig what they're doing with the RF line even though I'm gonna stick to EF for the predictable future.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

quote:

Canon RF 1200mm f/8L IS USM
BRB buying a house so I can take out a second mortgage.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to hold off until Amazon kits it with a Vivitar tripod and a wrist strap.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

xzzy posted:

I really dig what they're doing with the RF line even though I'm gonna stick to EF for the predictable future.

That 1200 f/8 must be freakin huge.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

That 1200 f/8 must be freakin huge.

I guess it will be smaller than the EF version

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I bet that means way more expensive too. It’s gonna take some kind of technical fuckery to pull that off (unless maybe lens design in general has moved in that direction so it’s a solved problem).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

1200mm F/8 should be about the same size objective as a 800mm F/5.6, right? Looks like the EF 800mm F/5.6 is ~10lbs?

It'll be interesting that the list includes lots of overlap if you include a 1.4x TC. Why would you buy a 800mm F/5.6 or 1200mm F/8 when a 600mm F/4 gets you 840mm F/5.6 with a 1.4x TC and 1200mm F/8 with a 2x TC, assuming sharpness is remotely comparable which it may not be.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

1200mm F/8 should be about the same size objective as a 800mm F/5.6, right? Looks like the EF 800mm F/5.6 is ~10lbs?

It'll be interesting that the list includes lots of overlap if you include a 1.4x TC. Why would you buy a 800mm F/5.6 or 1200mm F/8 when a 600mm F/4 gets you 840mm F/5.6 with a 1.4x TC and 1200mm F/8 with a 2x TC, assuming sharpness is remotely comparable which it may not be.

Good point. Maybe it's more or less a marketing thing, so when you sort camera lenses by Price or Length Canon will always ends up with the first items in the list. Or maybe they think people might add TCs to the super long ones to get that sweet 2400mm f/16.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
1200mm isn't new to them. but only f/8? I'd stick with the classic...
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-1200mm-f-5.6-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I wonder how expensive that 14mm T/S will be. I'm assuming "very".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dude figures out how to uncap 8k recording on the R5 (sort of, got 48 minutes at 23C ambient), is better at applying thermal tape than Canon:

https://blog.yifangu.com/2020/10/09/canon-eos-r5-thermal-mod/

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

xzzy posted:

Dude figures out how to uncap 8k recording on the R5 (sort of, got 48 minutes at 23C ambient), is better at applying thermal tape than Canon:

https://blog.yifangu.com/2020/10/09/canon-eos-r5-thermal-mod/

As one commenter says this doesn't make much sense given other temperature hacks didn't extend the record time. I thought the battery door hack showed there was a timer which over rode everything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the newer firmware changed that, now it actually cuts off based on temperature instead of some ultra conservative timer.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is it crazy to be half-way considering a 5Ds? They're like $1300 right now.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Is it crazy to be half-way considering a 5Ds? They're like $1300 right now.
That depends on your use-case. I picked up a 5DsR back in January to pair with my 1DX – I can live with the relatively weak autofocus and ISO performance and it's leagues ahead for when I want to do landscapes. While I can lust after an R5, at ×3.5 the price I don't need to regret picking up the 5DsR.

What are you going to use it for and what other cameras do you have?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

That depends on your use-case. I picked up a 5DsR back in January to pair with my 1DX – I can live with the relatively weak autofocus and ISO performance and it's leagues ahead for when I want to do landscapes. While I can lust after an R5, at ×3.5 the price I don't need to regret picking up the 5DsR.

What are you going to use it for and what other cameras do you have?

This would be replacing a 6D, mostly for landscapes and probably some macro. I've never sold anything bigger than 24x36 but sometimes I feel like I'm hitting the limit especially if I end up cropping.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

This would be replacing a 6D, mostly for landscapes and probably some macro. I've never sold anything bigger than 24x36 but sometimes I feel like I'm hitting the limit especially if I end up cropping.

At the price, that's a good step up for you, but don't convince yourself on the finances of it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

When you say replace, does that mean selling/trading-in the 6D?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

When you say replace, does that mean selling/trading-in the 6D?

Probably. I have a 7D2 also so I'm not sure I need the 6D as a backup. It's not like I'm an event shooter who would be 100% screwed if my main camera went down.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

I've always wondered how the RFs' build quality compares to the EF L-glass'. I've owned Emount, Panny and Canon but nothing I've ever touched has come close to EF L-glass' build quality and colour rendition.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
RF L meets or beats EF L for *build* quality.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 19, 2020

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

ilkhan posted:

RF L meets or beats EF L for quality.

It can beat EF lenses in IQ at around 10~85mm due to the rear element can sit a lot closer to the sensor to have reduced CA without having to bend light at some extreme angle.
That is if the lens was properly designed for mirrorless instead of just adding some extra space at the back similar to an adapter.

After around 100mm it doesn't matter that much anymore and it's basically the same.

But pretty much all of the L lenses are huge and bulky and defeats the purpose of having a mirrorless for sizes.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Encrypted posted:

But pretty much all of the L lenses are huge and bulky and defeats the purpose of having a mirrorless for sizes.

at worst they're basically the same size as the EF or Sony E-mount equivalents

RF 24-70 f2.8 L:
  • length: 126mm
  • weight: 900g
  • front filter: 82mm

EF 24-70 f2.8 L II:
  • length: 113mm
  • weight: 805g

FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM
  • length: 136mm
  • weight: 886g

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I've resigned myself to the fact that most of the time, I will have a big and heavy kit. I went mirrorless because it simply offers better features for me — better AF and frame rates, better video, eye AF, focus peaking, etc — and the size was a bonus. It is nice to have the option of creating a compact walkaround kit, but that's more of a fringe benefit than a driving decision factor for me.

At times, the size can be a bit of a drawback when using long lenses. Years of using big chunky DSLRs with vertical grips have definitely spoiled me to ergonomics with 70-200s and longer lenses.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on the IQ reviews that the nerdiest of lens reviewers Christopher Frost does, the RF versions of classic EF L lenses really aren't producing a superior image yet. If I remember properly, his claim is most of the improvements have come from lens coatings.

I understand he's just one dude with loads of money to burn on lenses but he's tested just about everything in history and his methods are super consistent so I tend to at least kind of trust him.

I have seen random internet people saying the RF lenses feel more plasticy than older L lenses but they have metal where it counts (the mount) and the weather sealing is just as good.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

dakana posted:

I've resigned myself to the fact that most of the time, I will have a big and heavy kit. I went mirrorless because it simply offers better features for me — better AF and frame rates, better video, eye AF, focus peaking, etc — and the size was a bonus. It is nice to have the option of creating a compact walkaround kit, but that's more of a fringe benefit than a driving decision factor for me.

At times, the size can be a bit of a drawback when using long lenses. Years of using big chunky DSLRs with vertical grips have definitely spoiled me to ergonomics with 70-200s and longer lenses.

Similar for me. Don’t really care about any perceived size/weight benefits. What drew me was focus peaking, IBIS, and lens adaptability.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

xzzy posted:

Based on the IQ reviews that the nerdiest of lens reviewers Christopher Frost does, the RF versions of classic EF L lenses really aren't producing a superior image yet. If I remember properly, his claim is most of the improvements have come from lens coatings.

I understand he's just one dude with loads of money to burn on lenses but he's tested just about everything in history and his methods are super consistent so I tend to at least kind of trust him.

I have seen random internet people saying the RF lenses feel more plasticy than older L lenses but they have metal where it counts (the mount) and the weather sealing is just as good.

I suspect the 24-70mm and 24-105mm were just hurried attempts to get something out the door to go with the new system and I suspect we'll see them revisited in a few years. Everything else I've seen, besides that crappy kit lens, has been pretty great. Certainly not cheap though.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

President Beep posted:

Similar for me. Don’t really care about any perceived size/weight benefits. What drew me was focus peaking, IBIS, and lens adaptability.
I used to feel this way up until I had to lug around the EF 70-200 F2.8 Mark 2. It's a loving caber. Any benefits it had were immediately outweighed by its unwieldy size.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 19, 2020

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

melon cat posted:

I used to feel this way up until I had to lug around the EF 70-200 F2.8 Mark 2. It's a loving caber. Any benefits it had were immediately outweighed by its unwieldy size.

*cries in 150-600mm*

At least once a week I contemplate downgrading to a 100-400mm, although increased sharpness might not make it a downgrade.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I habitually lug a 70-200 f2.8 and Tamron's 150-600 because the instant I leave the 600mm at home it's like I'm Snow White with wildlife, every last fuzzy thing in the forest wants to hang out with me.

Which also means the 150-600 is the best bear repellant money can buy.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
100-400 + 1.4x. or for RF the 100-500 + 1.4x. plenty of reach and still the weight savings.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

melon cat posted:

it's not that bad

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ilkhan posted:

100-400 + 1.4x. or for RF the 100-500 + 1.4x. plenty of reach and still the weight savings.

But my aperture!!

I need ALL the photons.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just duct tape four of these together and you'll have an unstoppable telephoto solution.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Just duct tape four of these together and you'll have an unstoppable telephoto solution.

I didn't even know these existed but I'm not paying $300 for a phone sensor.

If they bump that up to a micro 4/3 or even 1 inch sensor, add more capture options, I'd seriously consider it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I bought a EF 17-35mm f/2.8 for 350€.

Apparently the sharpness is decent at 20-35mm range but garbage at all apertures below 20mm.

The price was good enough that I want to give it a shot. Maybe it works in some situations despite the glass having no resolution in borders at wide angle zoom settings.

I'm currently loaning a 16-35mm F/2.8 II and it seems to be a very good lens. There seems to be many good reasons for Canon to have made so many ultrawide zooms. They have gotten so much better.

It's just that the price of a 16-35mm was over 2x higher. I probably can upgrade to it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The 350€ 17-35 2.8 arrived. Surprisingly it is not completely terrible. F8-11 are quite good and comparable to 16-35 2.8 II. At 2.8-5.6 the 16II is clearly better when focused to infinity. I will have to test the 17-35 with wider apertures and closer ranges

Best thing is that this lens is actually usable, and not complete garbage as I thought it would be! And if I want better wider aperture performance I can always upgrade to 16II or 16III.