Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

So I tried listening to CSB after taking a break, and is it just me or does Woolie sound miserable these days? It felt like half the podcast was him interrupting Pat to railroad towards the next FGC thing, and the rest was heavy sighs and rambling, incoherent variations on 'Yeah, so, uh, you know what I mean, anyway *sigh*". It bums me out, especially since the pre-breakup podcast had a really wonderful blend of neurotic ticks, bizarre tangents, and genuinely interesting takes that I haven't really found an equivalent for.

i just finished the latest podcast and i have no idea where you got any of this from unless you're just one of those people who goes 'ughhh' whenever they talk about FGC anything, they were both pretty high energy the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Smoking Crow posted:

the p4a director saying that you have to buy all the new cross tag dlc to get a sequel to the game you like is loving insidious

Ono begging for years for people to buy his games in hopes of Capcom letting him do a new Darkstalkers... :negative:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Patware posted:

i just finished the latest podcast and i have no idea where you got any of this from unless you're just one of those people who goes 'ughhh' whenever they talk about FGC anything, they were both pretty high energy the whole time
he might be interpreting the understandable exhaustion from quarantine and isolation a lot of people the world over are feeling with woolie being tired of the podcast/pat/etc.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They're both really bad at getting a sensible amount of sleep at a reasonable time and Pat bounces back quicker on energy drinks than Woolie does. They've talked about it before, Woolie only really starts waking up about ten seconds before they go live.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Patware posted:

Maybe I'm just not the audience for their content, but both of them are obviously, horribly sleep-deprived and woolie in particular seems like he regularly struggles to focus: lots of dead air as he stumbles, ums, and thinks his way through saying 5 seconds worth of thoughts in two minutes, heavy sighs, throaty sleep apnea grumbles, and the dude just generally sounds to me like he'd either prefer to be napping or literally anywhere other than recording a podcast.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vandar posted:

Ono begging for years for people to buy his games in hopes of Capcom letting him do a new Darkstalkers... :negative:

I'm glad they didn't given how his other games have turned out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dabir posted:

They're both really bad at getting a sensible amount of sleep at a reasonable time and Pat bounces back quicker on energy drinks than Woolie does. They've talked about it before, Woolie only really starts waking up about ten seconds before they go live.

Yeah, this kind of life is very cruel for any 8' giant to handle.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Woolie always over explains everything, that's the Woolie package.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

conspiracy theory, perhaps someone has been holding back some projects from going forward explicitly to wait out ono

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i think woolie is depressed over pats coke addiction

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Omi no Kami posted:

Maybe I'm just not the audience for their content, but both of them are obviously, horribly sleep-deprived and woolie in particular seems like he regularly struggles to focus: lots of dead air as he stumbles, ums, and thinks his way through saying 5 seconds worth of thoughts in two minutes, heavy sighs, throaty sleep apnea grumbles, and the dude just generally sounds to me like he'd either prefer to be napping or literally anywhere other than recording a podcast.

I was paying attention to this while listening to the latest podcast, woolie was the most energetic and responsive he has been in a good while.

my man has resting bitch energy along with pat's resting grandpa energy

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

As much as I like Chewie and Fuckface, they desperately need a third to round them out. I gave up listening to CSB earlier this year due to how repetitious their shtick is. Five hour podcasts with only two people for months on end without any guests is just tiresome in my opinion.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
During the FFXIV Bozjan Southern Front stream someone asked Pat why he wasn't funny like he was in that stream but on the podcast instead and his response was "You try being funny when dealing with someone who keeps talking about how good a King of Fighters UI is. No one can be funny in that environment."

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Blockhouse posted:

During the FFXIV Bozjan Southern Front stream someone asked Pat why he wasn't funny like he was in that stream but on the podcast instead and his response was "You try being funny when dealing with someone who keeps talking about how good a King of Fighters UI is. No one can be funny in that environment."

it's very very funny that pat thinks it's woolie who yaps on and on and not him. just ask pat about FF14, any RPG, and their minutae mechanics etc. and you've got 2 hours done and done. Woolie is a loving saint for putting up with pat's inanities so maybe let him talk about King of Fighter's UI for a little bit.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pat told what's known in the business as a Joke

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Why -don't- they ever have any guests on? I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd be up for it.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Viridiant posted:

Why -don't- they ever have any guests on? I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd be up for it.

Effort.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Patware posted:

conspiracy theory, perhaps someone has been holding back some projects from going forward explicitly to wait out ono

we know that darkstalkers 4 won't happen because the word from capcom was that since darkstalkers: resurrection didn't outsell 3s online addition, the project was canned

they even turned down arc system works pitching a darkstalkers vs guilty gear game in the late 2000s

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Hard to get people to agree to a 4 hour podcast where at least half of that time will be spent talking about poo poo they've never heard of and/or probably don't care about. That and all the people they know who would be up for that have their own podcasts now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

they even turned down arc system works pitching a darkstalkers vs guilty gear game in the late 2000s

This is the first I'm hearing of this and I am now irrationally upset about it. :argh:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

sirtommygunn posted:

Hard to get people to agree to a 4 hour podcast where at least half of that time will be spent talking about poo poo they've never heard of and/or probably don't care about. That and all the people they know who would be up for that have their own podcasts now.
Then why not guest star on those new podcasts slightly more often? :thunk:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

sirtommygunn posted:

Iirc they usually just recorded the guest bits separately and tacked them onto the end of a normal-ish length podcast. Could be misremembering though. It would be nice if they could get a rotating chair in from time to time, but the existing chemistry is good enough for me.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

They did that one or two times I think but usually the guest would sit in for the whole podcast

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Flashbacks to when they somehow got Xavier Woods on the podcast and he spent most of it quiet as heck, and then at the very end finally realized Woolie was black.

EDIT: And in trying to google that episode of the podcast, I discover that Woolie kicked Woods' rear end at Teppen last year.

https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1204516582736760832?s=20

Vandar fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 18, 2020

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

aside from plague or extremely in-industry guys they just don't know how to work with guests. i get the feeling they don't listen to a lot of podcasts that get guests and stuff on their own time so they're just kind of expecting to do what they do and the guest will fit themselves in

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

sirtommygunn posted:

when they got tier zoo on near the end of super best friends it was a disaster because they were talking about devil may cry for an hour and tier zoo had nothing to say

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

miniscule12 posted:

when they got tier zoo on near the end of super best friends it was a disaster because they were talking about devil may cry for an hour and tier zoo had nothing to say

yeah this is specifically why they don't have guests

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Yeah, tier zoo guy was pointedly miffed afterward.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it needs to be someone they can actually bounce off of and have a discussion with, not some celebrity rando like tierzoo

SEW or plague or max or someone like that would be fine I think, but like, some twitter or youtube celeb they like the content of but have never spoken to before? nah

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
TierZoo wasn't a random e-celeb, he got explicitly boosted by Pat and the Best Friends subreddit early on in his channel.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Neo_Crimson posted:

TierZoo wasn't a random e-celeb, he got explicitly boosted by Pat and the Best Friends subreddit early on in his channel.
I more mean they shouldn't have people they don't regularly interact with on the podcast. people like plague and eyepatchwolf have a grasp of how overbearing and fast-paced talking with pat and woolie are, and know to butt in, while folks like tierzoo just get steamrolled by them.

edit: oh boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmcUY1M3Mbg&hd=1

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm glad the vtuber Woolie wasn't just a single video gag, but I'm guessing it might have cost actual no fooling money to make anyway.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

Bring me to life requiem was a mistake

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Vtuber Woolie is great but cut throat producer Reggie is what really elevates the bit.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Woolie's bit is hilarious, but man the vtuber fad is creepy as hell. Those barely animated faces are super unsettling. Also aren't there actual companies managing those people? I can't imagine anything good coming out of that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some work for companies but not all ("vtuber" just means streaming with an avatar in place of a facecam and/or your actual identity after all). One of the major ones isn't good but it's largely because they're too hands-off and don't handle things like copyright clearance or harassment properly despite collecting half of people's income.

also as far as I know it's all using Live2D, which I guess I'm used to from being used in videogames, but it just looks kinda paper-doll-ish to me at worst

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Karanas posted:

Woolie's bit is hilarious, but man the vtuber fad is creepy as hell. Those barely animated faces are super unsettling. Also aren't there actual companies managing those people? I can't imagine anything good coming out of that.

https://youtu.be/V6INmzxHqUc

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
All of the Vtubers showed off in Woolie's video were super expressive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was a bit iffy on the Vtuber thing initially but Korone completely won me over with her doom 2016 playthrough, and the English Vtubers are all great too.

The models can be a bit hosed up, sure, but they're improving over time.

And yeah, it's an idol sort of thing, but uh, they are very very verrrrrry much not idol-like in their words and actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Throw Clemps at the podcast, that’d be fun.

Captain Invictus posted:

I more mean they shouldn't have people they don't regularly interact with on the podcast. people like plague and eyepatchwolf have a grasp of how overbearing and fast-paced talking with pat and woolie are, and know to butt in, while folks like tierzoo just get steamrolled by them.

edit: oh boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmcUY1M3Mbg&hd=1

The Megaman Legends music is a personal attack. Good to know someone over there remember those games.