Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

Kamrat posted:

Wait what, then what did you call these?

Chokladmunk/kokostopp

Knew what it was before even clicking the link haha.

I feel a bit meh about that scene in retrospect because kokosboll was well established long before that movie.

For kids at the time there was also the mild implication that he was in trouble/danger as he seems terrified of them. The scene cuts off in a 60s cartoon style as if it was to be followed by billowing dust clouds and Rudolf Andersson being thrown out the window. I also don't think the basketball players are ever characterized as anything other than looming "others"

Frekkie Melody fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Kamrat posted:

What was the kids reaction?

Edit:

This conversation got me thinking of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JolqmmMk0

That clip epitomizes like half of my weird racist interactions in Sweden the past four years - Swedes trying to undue some dumb poo poo they learned in the past like they were defusing a car bomb. My new doctor asked over the phone regarding my lovely iron levels and how much vitamin D I take and asked in a low, hushed tone “would you say...you’re....darker....complexioned....?”.

The other half is just weird “well it’s worse in the US!!! Why do you care about Sweden” defensiveness and it’s like, I know?? Things could be better?? hosed up but true!!!

Thankfully it doesn’t happen too much - from Swedes.

The kids, who were like maybe 20 at the oldest, just quietly turned down their music. I’ll take it. I hate people listening to poo poo on speakers in the train.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Frekkie Melody posted:

Chokladmunk/kokostopp

Knew what it was before even clicking the link haha.

I feel a bit meh about that scene in retrospect because kokosboll was well established long before that movie.

To be honest all I ever heard growing up was N-boll, every shop and café also had that word plastered on the product. Maybe it's because where I grew up, I'm from Värmland and it was just the word we used for it, it wasn't until later when the discussion of changing the word I realized people might take offence and I was happy to make the change.

Kokosboll was the pastry I linked earlier and that's all everyone ever called them so kokosboll is not the word I would use to replace N-boll with, chokladboll works fine and that's the word I see in the stores.

Frekkie Melody posted:

For kids at the time there was also the mild implication that he was in trouble/danger as he seems terrified of them. The scene cuts off in a 60s cartoon style as if it was to be followed by billowing dust clouds and Rudolf Andersson being thrown out the window. I also don't think the basketball players are ever characterized as anything other than looming "others"

teen witch posted:

That clip epitomizes like half of my weird racist interactions in Sweden the past four years - Swedes trying to undue some dumb poo poo they learned in the past like they were defusing a car bomb. My new doctor asked over the phone regarding my lovely iron levels and how much vitamin D I take and asked in a low, hushed tone “would you say...you’re....darker....complexioned....?”.

Yeah, that movie hasn't aged the best.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Wait, it's a skin thing? My doctor once told me I had D-vitamin levels he only sees in women who wear a burka all day, so I figured it was a lifestyle thing.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

thotsky posted:

Wait, it's a skin thing? My doctor once told me I had D-vitamin levels he only sees in women who wear a burka all day, so I figured it was a lifestyle thing.

Yes darker skin is helping you protect against the sun. But it also changes how much you turn daylight into vitamin D. If you have really dark skin you might need five to ten times the amount of sunlight as Blekfis Svensson to create the same amount of vitamin D. If you live close to the equator it’s no biggie, if you live in Luleå it means you might need to mind your diet and/or add vitamin pills to it.

As for chokladbollar, we used to call it the n-word balls without thinking anything about it as I grew up in the countryside in the 80’s and 90’s. At the end of the 90’s I think we just switched to chokladbollar, and I don’t remember there being as much fuzz about it as there’s from the Racist Facebook Brigade these days. Live without social media was sometimes better.

The treat with foam inside we call skumtopp or kokostopp, I think there are tons of regional variations to what we call it. Munk seems to be a west coast thing:

https://www.isof.se/sprak/dialekter/aktuellt-dialektord/dialektord/2015-02-01-graddbulle-kokosboll-munk---kart-bakverk-har-manga-namn.html

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 18, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

teen witch posted:

My new doctor asked over the phone regarding my lovely iron levels and how much vitamin D I take and asked in a low, hushed tone “would you say...you’re....darker....complexioned....?”.

LMAO that's sweden in a nutshell

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's enough of a deal that paler skin has been pretty universally successful as you move northwards to an extent even lactose tolerance hasn't managed

with supplements etc it's not a massive problem but it's a real thing and tbh i understand doctors being awkward about it

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

thotsky posted:

Insert joke about basement dwelling goons here ......

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

i understand doctors being awkward about it
The point is that there's no reason to be awkward about it, provided you have a basic understanding of how those racial dynamics work. If you've got an ounce of sensibility, you explain in 6 seconds why it's relevant, you ask the question then move on.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

The point is that there's no reason to be awkward about it, provided you have a basic understanding of how those racial dynamics work. If you've got an ounce of sensibility, you explain in 6 seconds why it's relevant, you ask the question then move on.

From the horses mouth, it’s more weird when you make it weird. We filthy browns have a sixth sense where we can feed off of sense white people of all uh, white...stripes, feel awkward and trying to not gently caress up and then horrifically beef it.

Like 99 percent of us understand that you are trying. You have decent intentions. Those that don’t typically make it VERY OBVIOUS that they don’t, that’s when you gotta take that privilege and and smash em in two.

Specifically regarding the vitamin D thing, most of us know it however. My pasty mom was worried about that when I moved here and typical me, learned the hard way. Now I ride the D. I cannot emphasize more the need to ride the D.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Frekkie Melody posted:

I grew up in the 90s and back then we just called them kokosboll. And the other word was super controversial. But we have 19 year olds now acting like we're robbing them of their youths cultural heritage when we insist on kokosboll.

Same except the 80s, never heard of the other word until I saw Sunes Sommar. And I grew up in the countryside.

Kamrat posted:

Wait what, then what did you call these?

Now those on the other hand had a controversial name for pretty long, now they are called chokladkyssar.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 18, 2020

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Same except the 80s, never heard of the other word until I saw Sunes Sommar. And I grew up in the countryside.

Now those on the other hand had a controversial name for pretty long, now they are called chokladkyssar.

No you're confusing things, n-wordkyssar were these:

Basically mint-flavoured sugar with a bit of chocolate on top. Nowadays called "mintkyssar".

EDIT:

holy poo poo after doing some research skumbollar were called n-wordkyssar in Finland for some reason. It's weird that the same names turn up all over, but labelling different sweets.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 18, 2020

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Never heard the name n-kyssar, the only thing we had here was n-bollar. Well I'm glad we stopped having controversial names for sweets at least.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

lilljonas posted:

No you're confusing things, n-wordkyssar were these:

Basically mint-flavoured sugar with a bit of chocolate on top. Nowadays called "mintkyssar".

EDIT:

holy poo poo after doing some research skumbollar were called n-wordkyssar in Finland for some reason. It's weird that the same names turn up all over, but labelling different sweets.

Racist brand in Finland? No way!

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was going by the picture Cardiac identified as munkar. The doughnut munkar are a pastry.

The ones Cardiac identified as munkar most often have a thin wafer (made from flour and fat) at the bottom, making them a pastry as far as I understand.

thotsky posted:

It is a lifestyle thing too because your lifestyle will affect it greatly as it is generated by both UV exposure of your skin and ditary intake. Basically, being a dark skinned computer nerd or burka wearer in northern scandinavia will likely give you lovely vitamin D levels and associated medical problems. Doubly so if you don't share the habit of drinking milk often since our milk is nowadays most often supplemented with vitamin D and thus a pretty sizeable chunk of the ditary intake for many. Before the invention of vitamin D supplements, if you wanted to live on a latitude above the southern tip of scandinavia you either needed to eat loads of offal and/or fat sea food, or you needed pale skin. Otherwise you would develop vitamin D deficiency and probably die young. Ancient europeans most likely became white because farming very thorouly introduced a vitamin D deficient diet, which selects towards pale skin at latitudes even below scandinavia. I think some of the earliest post retreating ice shelf settlers of scandinavia was already pale groups from the east. As they seem to have been pale but came way before farming they were probably already pale due to being habituated to northern latitudes and not eating enough sea food.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Frekkie Melody posted:

milk is for calfs etc

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zudgemud posted:

The ones Cardiac identified as munkar most often have a thin wafer (made from flour and fat) at the bottom, making them a pastry as far as I understand.

This might come down to how restrictive you are in your naming scheme, AKA where you fall on the pastry alignment chart. The texture, taste and consistency of the wafer is quite different from what I would usually associate with a pastry, and it serves solely as a structural element to the treat, in contrast to say a croissant where the bread itself is the core experience of the pastry accented by whatever filling has been added.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This might come down to how restrictive you are in your naming scheme, AKA where you fall on the pastry alignment chart. The texture, taste and consistency of the wafer is quite different from what I would usually associate with a pastry, and it serves solely as a structural element to the treat, in contrast to say a croissant where the bread itself is the core experience of the pastry accented by whatever filling has been added.

beautiful post/av/username combo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If you're still using cheap-rear end wafers as the base for your flødeboller, you've already lost.

Marzipan or go home.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

Well, I don't identify them as munkar, the weird people on the west-coast of Sweden does.
As a civilized person I call them chokladtoppar or something sensible like that, which does not cause massive confusion. :v:

Also, trust goons to spend more time discussing food than politics in a politics thread.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Also, trust goons to spend more time discussing food than politics in a politics thread.
You miss getting told to gently caress off for your fascist POVs or something?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Lord Mayor of Copenhagen has to leave his job after three decades of being a serial sex pest, a day after his party voted against an investigation and expressed confidence. Looking good, SuccDems.

Loving that serial human rights abusers from the opposing liberal party, the one that let a convicted pedophile run for office, are now mocking him.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
On a semi-political note for us Swedes: once rektor Hamid was outed as a huge antisemite I realised I remember him from quakeworld around the turn of the millennium. In a shocking twist he was Very Antisemitic back then as well, as ancient irc logs have documented.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What was a white flødebolle called before the world went mad? I always learned N-word-bolle/kys as an old fashioned and (mildly) offensive term growing up, but like, no one actually wanted the old word back...

Anyway, I predict a bunch more outing of prominent sex pests in Denmark, probably more on the left because people actually care there. Also I predict female replacements in many cases. Which will be ineffective, see Radikale Venstre...

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

You miss getting told to gently caress off for your fascist POVs or something?

:allears:

Beeswax posted:

On a semi-political note for us Swedes: once rektor Hamid was outed as a huge antisemite I realised I remember him from quakeworld around the turn of the millennium. In a shocking twist he was Very Antisemitic back then as well, as ancient irc logs have documented.

Given that he is collecting vintage gaming consoles, he falls under the category typical gamer then?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

BonHair posted:

What was a white flødebolle called before the world went mad? I always learned N-word-bolle/kys as an old fashioned and (mildly) offensive term growing up, but like, no one actually wanted the old word back...

I've actually met several people that want the word back and it's lead to some big discussions, the arguments just boils down to "but our history", the same people that argue to bring band n-boll also argue for bringing back n-kung in Pippi and the controversial aspects of Kalle Ankas Julafton.

Just to make it clear, these are not people I usually hang out with, it just happens that I'm forced to be in the same room with these people from time to time.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Lord Mayor of Copenhagen has to leave his job after three decades of being a serial sex pest, a day after his party voted against an investigation and expressed confidence. Looking good, SuccDems.

Loving that serial human rights abusers from the opposing liberal party, the one that let a convicted pedophile run for office, are now mocking him.

His ejection couldn't have been less graceful. The party overwhelmingly votes to back him, and he does a 40 minute press conference assuring people that he will continue fighting for MeToo, and that he'll seek reelection in 2021.

24 hours later he's out on his rear end, talking about how his retirement is definitely his own choice, and how he's supposed to be :qq:innocent until proven guilty:qq:

Mette Frederiksen kept quiet until this afternoon, at which point she suddenly became ~very concerned~ about the allegations. Not so concerned that she was willing to denounce him, but definitely very concerned.

This is coming only a few days after Morten Østergaard, leader of Radikale Venstre, also stepped down due to allegations. I think that case was handled with a similar eye for comedy, where Østergaard managed to hold a press conference about how the case about an "unnamed offender" was an internal disciplinary matter, and the case definitely would not be discussed further with the press, only to then have to backtrack a few hours later when it leaks to the press that he's the offender.

They've managed to make themselves look like poo poo, and it's hilarious.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Also worth mentioning that he shared a post demanding one of his accusers step down hours before leaving to spend more time with his family continue fighting against the dreaded macho culture that made him grope women through no fault of his own. And think of his grandchildren, most of whom are girls!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Didn't he also say he was unsure if more accusers were going to come forward?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Esran posted:

His ejection couldn't have been less graceful. The party overwhelmingly votes to back him, and he does a 40 minute press conference assuring people that he will continue fighting for MeToo, and that he'll seek reelection in 2021.

24 hours later he's out on his rear end, talking about how his retirement is definitely his own choice, and how he's supposed to be :qq:innocent until proven guilty:qq:

Mette Frederiksen kept quiet until this afternoon, at which point she suddenly became ~very concerned~ about the allegations. Not so concerned that she was willing to denounce him, but definitely very concerned.

This is coming only a few days after Morten Østergaard, leader of Radikale Venstre, also stepped down due to allegations. I think that case was handled with a similar eye for comedy, where Østergaard managed to hold a press conference about how the case about an "unnamed offender" was an internal disciplinary matter, and the case definitely would not be discussed further with the press, only to then have to backtrack a few hours later when it leaks to the press that he's the offender.

They've managed to make themselves look like poo poo, and it's hilarious.

Some of the members of the party wanted a hidden vote of confidence, and not show of hands. So they had a show of hands to ask if the vote should be hidden

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

He also accidentally mentioned that one of the anonymous accusers happened to be the leader of the youth organisation, which is very respectful and makes other women feel safe that their privacy will be respected if they come forward without going public. And given how lovely women coming forward are being treated in the general public, that's a pretty important piece of privacy.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Esran posted:

I was so surprised when my mother and I didn't agree on "innocent until proven guilty" doesn't apply when the person has done similar things several times in the past.

She also disagreed when I said that when women come out and tell they've been molested or abused, they should always be assumed to be telling the truth until the innocent have indeed been proven so. It depends on who's being accused, but when someone like Frank has to explain how his hands (and tongue!) got into places they didn't belong time and time again, there's clearly a smoke = fire situation going on.

E:

Or in other words: People who commit crimes without being caught tend to continue doing said crimes.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 19, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

for criminal justice, the principle of presumed innocence is very important and creates some genuinely gnarly situations with regards to sexual violence and the like

when it comes to someone elected to represent a party on behalf of the voters, this is much less a concern. the party can and should shitcan you once it decides that you're a liability, and being a sex pest is fortunately enough of a liability to force action. it's got nothing to do with the representative's individual rights or the criminal system at all, it's just a matter of how the organisation wants to run. it remains astounding to me how many social democratic bigwigs have managed to forget this basic fact of organisational life

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

even for regular employees that stuff can be sanctioned in a straightforward manner without dealing with criminal justice standards. it's weirdly corrosive how these people keep conflating that with balance of probability stuff

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

V. Illych L. posted:

for criminal justice, the principle of presumed innocence is very important and creates some genuinely gnarly situations with regards to sexual violence and the like

when it comes to someone elected to represent a party on behalf of the voters, this is much less a concern. the party can and should shitcan you once it decides that you're a liability, and being a sex pest is fortunately enough of a liability to force action. it's got nothing to do with the representative's individual rights or the criminal system at all, it's just a matter of how the organisation wants to run. it remains astounding to me how many social democratic bigwigs have managed to forget this basic fact of organisational life

Yeah, I can of course see it being misused, like an employer accusing a worker for something they clearly haven't done.

It's when people are being obvious criminals or sex pests, as you say, that it's a completely different set of rules we should play by.

E:

V. Illych L. posted:

even for regular employees that stuff can be sanctioned in a straightforward manner without dealing with criminal justice standards. it's weirdly corrosive how these people keep conflating that with balance of probability stuff

There it is.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 19, 2020

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

it remains astounding to me how many social democratic bigwigs have managed to forget this basic fact of organisational life

This guy was our Justice Minister back in the nineties :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kamrat posted:

I've actually met several people that want the word back and it's lead to some big discussions, the arguments just boils down to "but our history", the same people that argue to bring band n-boll also argue for bringing back n-kung in Pippi and the controversial aspects of Kalle Ankas Julafton.

Just to make it clear, these are not people I usually hang out with, it just happens that I'm forced to be in the same room with these people from time to time.
Oh gods yes. Not using the word n-boll both helps to not hurt/harass people and also offends racists. Win-win.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

There's a lot to unpack here.

https://redox.dk/nyheder/koranafbraender-for-retten-i-koelvandet-paa-konflikter/

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Poil posted:

Oh gods yes. Not using the word n-boll both helps to not hurt/harass people and also offends racists. Win-win.

Good point. :hmmyes:

It's quite funny how upset some people are over these words being changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Frekkie Melody posted:

Oh yeah, gently caress that chain! I'm doing all my shopping in the SS coops.

P.S. A note to the Danes: can you try to keep Peter Madsen behind bars? Like don't let him craft fake guns and bomb belts in future, okay?