Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CuddleCryptid posted:

Also there really isn't an endgame more than making money, but there isn't anything too exciting to spend money *on*

i think if you actually do the big pvp bits the BDO endgame there is not bad? but that's the same mistake eve makes where pvp has a ton of depth and pve is just mindless grind you can do in your sleep

also, honestly i'm over mmo pvp at this point, and if i ever want it again i'll resub eve, since strategy pvp is way more fun than just the actual execution :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Baron Porkface posted:

Did something bad happen to Black Desert? The threads inactive and it gets no press attention.

Think the thread died because people actively playing just post in the Discord. I had fun with the game for a bit during the anniversary but got burnt out after a couple months. It does somethings right but after awhile you just see how its nothing more than grind to make number go up, not much depth. I really liked the world though, hopefully Crimson Desert has a bit more depth and long term playability, but will more likely just be more of the same systems.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I have this hankering for an mmo, keep thinking doing EQ again for the nostalgia hit, but what I really want is something new. Is the landscape really so blasted that there's nothing decent coming out or recently released?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

we are having a lot of fun in eve echoes, despite the fact that it is ostensibly a phone game. not sure if that's your bag though, it's an authentic eve online experience but, well, eve.
overall, yeah, the mmo landscape is pretty desolate and i'm not aware of anything both new and good.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Elendil004 posted:

I have this hankering for an mmo, keep thinking doing EQ again for the nostalgia hit, but what I really want is something new. Is the landscape really so blasted that there's nothing decent coming out or recently released?

I'm also thinking about EQ, but only because youtube kept suggesting all these how-to videos for TLP servers.

I don't think I could return unless I can ride a huge wave of new people. I'm pretty sure I missed multiple waves by now.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

absolutely wait until a new tlp comes out, if you miss the initial wave it sucks rear end

I like live but I also caught up years ago and just kept caught up for a bunch of expansions so I don't have to deal with the garbage that is no leveling groups ever

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Elendil004 posted:

imho if you want to have fun with an mmo you have to look backwards. Just go back to whichever one you had fun with in the olden days

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
MMOs are like cassette players, sure you can get a new one if you look hard enough but it will be poo poo, you gotta go way back to when they still gave a gently caress about them and made them right

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dross posted:

I don’t like the mass migration out of games to Discord. I don’t like having to take my attention off the game I’m playing to chat. What’s more, I play games on a tv with a controller (and a wireless mini keyboard for FFXIV), not up close with dual monitors like most people seem to these days. So I run Discord on my phone if I have to, but having to look at an entire separate device is even more jarring and forgettable. I only think to use Discord if I want to voice chat or share screenshots.

The idea of random chatting with strangers just isn't a hook anymore so who gives a gently caress where you do it? It's omnipresent. Everything has a comments section and it usually makes you want to die.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

dumping my thought here:

as an mmo tourist, any game you can sub to and get a months worth of a fun is a success, trying to beat them, playing to completion, is what makes mmo's bad. Bad mmo's try to cater exclusively to this infinite play ideology. Some games are good for long stretches, others are fun to check out for a little bit. I think the key is knowing when to move on, no MMO will be fun forever.

DRWN
Aug 29, 2020

Pladdicus posted:

dumping my thought here:

as an mmo tourist, any game you can sub to and get a months worth of a fun is a success, trying to beat them, playing to completion, is what makes mmo's bad. Bad mmo's try to cater exclusively to this infinite play ideology. Some games are good for long stretches, others are fun to check out for a little bit. I think the key is knowing when to move on, no MMO will be fun forever.

This pill is very hard to swallow.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

You play an MMO by getting to the end of the current story and then you resub when the latest story patch, cool feature or expansion comes out.

Just lol at actually playing weekly.

People raid weekly to get cutting edge gear in FF14? Lol that's all gonna be cheap turnin gear as soon as the next expac releases. Just unsub until you get it all for free and then do all those old raids in your supergear.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's why it's a shame Warhammer was forced out early. Having a PvP endgame is a lot more replayable than running the same raids over and over.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

bewilderment posted:

You play an MMO by getting to the end of the current story and then you resub when the latest story patch, cool feature or expansion comes out.

Just lol at actually playing weekly.

People raid weekly to get cutting edge gear in FF14? Lol that's all gonna be cheap turnin gear as soon as the next expac releases. Just unsub until you get it all for free and then do all those old raids in your supergear.

People raid in xiv to do fun and challenging content with friends - the gearing in xiv is pretty boring. It's just flat ilvl increase and a ton of loot drops each kill.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's why it's a shame Warhammer was forced out early. Having a PvP endgame is a lot more replayable than running the same raids over and over.

Definitely is a shame, PvP is really the only thing that interests me with MMO's and there are no options currently active nor in the pipeline from what I can see.

Return of Reckoning Warhammer private server has 1,500 people on right now and this weekend with double XP is as good a time as any to start playing. I had a ton of fun months earlier when population was up and goons were grouping for open world PvP. I did the FFXIV thing for a little bit and I enjoyed the raids I was able to do, and understand why it's the most played MMO at the moment, but I'd rather play a free private server that has dedicated devs balancing the wrongs that plagued its launch.

edit; Saw in the thread you recently downloaded it. I know not many of us were playing, but it's a good weekend to get on and level a character very fast. Me and few others who played months back will be on.

knox fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 10, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

found a pathfinder sourcebook thing with a big section on pathfinder online at the end of it. it was from like 2010 and had these hilariously detailed predictions about pathfinder online's content and "high poly models" and it was like ten pages long. i almost bought it just to post in this thread because as far as i can tell P:O is, in it's current state, the most contentless and absurd MMO to still be technically for sale, including star citizen

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Taear posted:

Shadowbane

I got a soft spot for PVP focused MMO's since I grew up with age of empires making me want a more persistent world to experience and then got into dark age of camelot.
I think PvP fantasy mmo's can still work in this day and age but you would need systems put in place to prevent people from burning out, quitting in frustrating, or reaching a "one faction has won everything and won't budge" scenario.

You would need to make gear loss easily replaceable.
You would need to be able to come back from lost territory and not be able to lose hours, days, weeks of game time because someone broke into your territory while you were asleep
You would need new players able to contribute to fighting and not just have veteran players bash new players over the head with their bigger numbers, which means probably doing-away with the concept of exp and levels and stats and have it focused heavily on gear and resources spent and cheap but effective equipment widely produced.
You would need seasons to reset the server every few months since fresh launches are wildly popular and it keeps the poopsockers from scaring off everyone from atop their mountain of socks, give the players or factions that did the most some cosmetics and titles.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I got a soft spot for PVP focused MMO's since I grew up with age of empires making me want a more persistent world to experience and then got into dark age of camelot.
I think PvP fantasy mmo's can still work in this day and age but you would need systems put in place to prevent people from burning out, quitting in frustrating, or reaching a "one faction has won everything and won't budge" scenario.

You would need to make gear loss easily replaceable.
You would need to be able to come back from lost territory and not be able to lose hours, days, weeks of game time because someone broke into your territory while you were asleep
You would need new players able to contribute to fighting and not just have veteran players bash new players over the head with their bigger numbers, which means probably doing-away with the concept of exp and levels and stats and have it focused heavily on gear and resources spent and cheap but effective equipment widely produced.
You would need seasons to reset the server every few months since fresh launches are wildly popular and it keeps the poopsockers from scaring off everyone from atop their mountain of socks, give the players or factions that did the most some cosmetics and titles.

you are describing fortnite

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mister Olympus posted:

you are describing fortnite

Planetside 2 is probably closer and other games of that ilk.
Guild Wars 2 WvWvW also kinda did this.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the problem with that planetside/GW2 model is that without some kind of win-state there's really nothing to fight for other than fighting for its own sake. there's nothing more to it than NC/TR/Vanu fighting over whose flag is atop The Crown, forever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Radio Free Kobold posted:

the problem with that planetside/GW2 model is that without some kind of win-state there's really nothing to fight for other than fighting for its own sake. there's nothing more to it than NC/TR/Vanu fighting over whose flag is atop The Crown, forever.

This is every MMO though. It's not like you could just allow one side of a conflict to win, it would destroy your game. Even something with territory control like EVE doesn't have it so you can win everything, hand out a trophy to everyone on the winning team, and then shut the servers down.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

in gw2 wvw gives your server score, and reset happens every friday evening. the higher scoring server goes up a tier, the lower scoring one goes down.

this is usually good fun, but mostly ~elite pvpers~ tend to gather onto a few servers that then fight each other for months on end in the top bracket, and :rip: if you accidentally joined one of the current meta servers when you first started because they have very long queues on evenings and sometimes get real toxic about poo poo lol

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is every MMO though. It's not like you could just allow one side of a conflict to win, it would destroy your game. Even something with territory control like EVE doesn't have it so you can win everything, hand out a trophy to everyone on the winning team, and then shut the servers down.

alliance tournament was fun times tho. i didn't get to play in the actual tourney because there were enough better players than me in my alliance, but i helped a ton with practice fights and theorycrafting and that poo poo was some of the most fun i've had in eve and eventually we won 3 times in a row, so that was great poo poo lol.

then i quick because real eve got stale once i got rich enough that losses didn't matter anymore and without the rush of "oh gently caress" every time you get lit up, the actual live server gameplay is just boring 100% of the time instead of 99% :v:

e: basically what i'm saying is, 99% of the fun in "mmo pvp" is outside the game in theorycrafting builds and party compositions and poo poo, because mmo combat is what it is. competently designed pve content can work around this poo poo by throwing elaborate mechanics at your group to spice things up a bit, but high level pvp generally quickly devolves into "meta build vs meta build" poo poo people copy off a wiki, so unless you're the one doing the theorycrafting, meh.

Truga fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 12, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

And that's the other part of the problem. With the whole "fighting for its own sake" paradigm you're really being carried on the strength of day-to-day and moment-to-moment gameplay. And MMOs, well. MMOs are not known for their riveting combat encounters.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
eh, it's still fun for a couple dozen hours as you explore the builds or whatever, and then for another dozen when you find your favourite playstyle and so on, but yeah it's not as infinite as it'd have to be for everyone to stay subscribed.

not the worst thing, there's tons of games out there, and like that guy said, just unsub if you're done and come back a year later.

i like extreme/savage fights in ff14, due to a combination of over the top effects, music, and relatively fun mechanics dances, so i stay subbed, but the difficulty jump from normal content to extreme or savage is pretty huge so i get why people avoid that, when it easily takes like 10+ of hours just to be able to clear a single top end fight.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

And that's the other part of the problem. With the whole "fighting for its own sake" paradigm you're really being carried on the strength of day-to-day and moment-to-moment gameplay. And MMOs, well. MMOs are not known for their riveting combat encounters.

That's true but it doesn't have to be that way.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

The original planetside was much better at this because capturing certain bases gave you access to resources which made further offenses easier. All the perks in PS2 for capturing certain bases felt inconsequential Traveling was harder too, which made this even more important.

There were also way more continents and when one empire captured all of a continent it locked down for 24 hours where no one but that empire could enter it.

I mean, none of it was actually meaningful but i felt it gave a better illusion than PS2.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pfft traveling, you type GINYU FORCE RULES in chat and redeploy

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

the best moments in PS2 were the ones where you and the boys pack up into a sunderer, someone starts playing dadrock over local voice, and we watch the whole zerg roll out with us. big tanks, small tanks, flyers, even a few madlads on those four-wheeler ATVs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Another kickstarter MMO bites the dust, this is a few days late but the Pantheon Rise of the Fallen devs posted a blog post about how they no longer have the money to finish Pantheon, that without a big time investor the game will likely be canceled. This is a pretty major admission of guilt as they have been insisting for years now that they have all of the funding that they needed in order to finish the game to launch. https://www.pantheonmmo.com/news/producers-letter-october-2020/

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Crowdfunded MMO's are basically Nigerian scammers at this point, just with jaded MMO veterans playing on their nostalgia with totally conceptual ideas never close to implemented.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
lol we must rewrite the whole game from scratch so it scales to millions of users

all 200 kickstarter backers, the only people allowed to access it: >:(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

lol we must rewrite the whole game from scratch so it scales to millions of users

all 200 kickstarter backers, the only people allowed to access it: >:(

All of the backers are for some reason completely in support of all of this despite the admission of guilt in that the devs have been lying about the project from the start.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

knox posted:

Crowdfunded MMO's are basically Nigerian scammers at this point, just with jaded MMO veterans playing on their nostalgia with totally conceptual ideas never close to implemented.

I'll always find it funny that Richard Garriott raised more than the original EQ cost to produce in today's dollars and produced what he did.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

I said come in! posted:

Another kickstarter MMO bites the dust, this is a few days late but the Pantheon Rise of the Fallen devs posted a blog post about how they no longer have the money to finish Pantheon, that without a big time investor the game will likely be canceled. This is a pretty major admission of guilt as they have been insisting for years now that they have all of the funding that they needed in order to finish the game to launch. https://www.pantheonmmo.com/news/producers-letter-october-2020/

There's no way it was coming out after Brad McQuaid died but yeah this is another nail in the coffin for a whole sector of MMO games.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

another nail in the coffin? that coffin was buried years ago, this is just doctor frankenstein trying to do mad science with the corpse

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kids playing on Minecraft persistent servers are having more world impact and social collaboration than most past MMOs.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

bewilderment posted:

Kids playing on Minecraft persistent servers are having more world impact and social collaboration than most past MMOs.

Those darn kids should stop running server-long straight lines underground while farming diamonds. I hate waking up to find my underground altars desecrated because some dumb kid running a straight line ran into it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

the mmorpg subreddit has a discussion about this and it's full of people who are certain it's going to come out and that this is cause for optimism

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/je30wo/pantheon_producers_letter_prealpha_5_funding/

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
honestly the devs ought to just dump the code out there and let the community finish the game. they basically were trying to get people to pay to be a developer ages ago, anyhow :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like that idea but unfortunately there is not enough of the game to do it. There are only like 2 zones total so far, and neither of them are even a quarter of the way finished. This team really should not have made an MMORPG as their very first video game, and absolutely not as a crowdfunded project.