Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Pe8GK6peM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010
Food served at Noma may seem pretentious, but it serves to illustrate a philosophy of local/short supply chains. It's an attempt at replicating various cuisines of poverty without having the absolute necessity to do it. The most interesting dishes develop when people are forced to use local ingredients in order to survive - like keeping acorns in running water over a long period of time to render them edible; or boiling old, eggless chickens or cow tongue for a long stretch of time to not have to waste them; or preserving cabbage by fermenting it. There's no food shortage in Europe at the moment, so there's no need to try out new possible foodstuffs which are readily available. Noma has been around for almost two decades, and I've been noticing a renewed respect for local ingredients and recipes taking advantage of those. Noma is like high fashion - ridiculous on its own, but some improvements do filter down to everyday use.

If you want to poke fun at restaurant food, there are more deserving targets. The molecular gastronomy craze (what new shape can we deliver this flavor in?), to which Noma and others are a response. French restaurants still swearing by Escoffier. Italian restaurants abroad sourcing their ingredients only from Italy.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

he might not know what fettuccine is but he knows what cheetos are:

also dang, people LOVE lasagna worldwide.

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Oct 19, 2020

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

more falafel please posted:

Malort is good actually.

I didn't hate Malort as much as I thought I would. It wasn't great, but I was expecting way worse from the way everyone had played it up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Agricola Frigidus posted:

Food served at Noma may seem pretentious, but it serves to illustrate a philosophy of local/short supply chains. It's an attempt at replicating various cuisines of poverty without having the absolute necessity to do it. The most interesting dishes develop when people are forced to use local ingredients in order to survive - like keeping acorns in running water over a long period of time to render them edible; or boiling old, eggless chickens or cow tongue for a long stretch of time to not have to waste them; or preserving cabbage by fermenting it. There's no food shortage in Europe at the moment, so there's no need to try out new possible foodstuffs which are readily available. Noma has been around for almost two decades, and I've been noticing a renewed respect for local ingredients and recipes taking advantage of those. Noma is like high fashion - ridiculous on its own, but some improvements do filter down to everyday use.

If you want to poke fun at restaurant food, there are more deserving targets. The molecular gastronomy craze (what new shape can we deliver this flavor in?), to which Noma and others are a response. French restaurants still swearing by Escoffier. Italian restaurants abroad sourcing their ingredients only from Italy.

SubG, an old school GWS poster, pointed out that molecular gastronomy is basically just the application of industrial food manufacturing procedures to small-scale haute cuisine, and thus represented the ultimate condition of alienation from food – on the one hand the provenance of the food is obscured by industrial manipulation, and on the other hand the utility of nourishment is stripped by the haute cuisine context. That became especially true once the fad passed out of the hands of genuinely creative restaurateurs and became a sort of by-the-numbers way of being "fancy" for like 10 years. That said, a handful of genuinely useful and interesting new techniques arose from the movement, and hopefully Noma will similarly have an influence on how people think of culinary supply chains.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Molecular gastronomy has some neat tricks, like using sodium citrate to make your cheese sauces totally unbreakable

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tunicate posted:

Molecular gastronomy has some neat tricks, like using sodium citrate to make your cheese sauces totally unbreakable

That isn't gonna impress the ladies at the pot luck. They'll just assume you didn't use real cheese at all.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Not anything I've seen or have pic of, but a Kiwi I know was talking about a "foodie" friend who took a trip to Louisiana who said traditional gumbo has centipedes in it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MariusLecter posted:

Not anything I've seen or have pic of, but a Kiwi I know was talking about a "foodie" friend who took a trip to Louisiana who said traditional gumbo has centipedes in it.

i was thinking maybe they mistook a shrimp for a centipede but new zealanders almost certainly know what a fuckin prawn looks like so i don't know what is going on.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dude just got grossass food with bugs in it and was too polite to say anything for fear of looking racist

Oh wait you said he was Australian? Never mind

Edit: you didn't. New Zealand erasure is real

The Bloop has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Oct 19, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Googling centipede gumbo makes it sound like a vaguely popular Ben 10 joke from 2008 so your friend may have been having a bit of fun.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I mean, shrimp/prawns are definitely bugs with many many legs.

But I think the similarities to centipedes end there.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

RoboRodent posted:

I mean, shrimp/prawns are definitely bugs with many many legs.

But I think the similarities to centipedes end there.

Crawdads maybe?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

Crawdads maybe?

i thought that too, like, maybe this person has literally never seen a crawfish before and they mistook it for a centipede? but i looked it up and turns out New Zealand has crawfish too so they would know what they look like. i have to assume they were just loving around.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I have a friend from Denmark that screamed and cried at how crawfish look when you flip 'em over and look at their little buggy legs. They have a distinctive insectile look to them. And when the meat is out of the shell it's pretty unappetizing looking as well. He compared it to silkworm pupae. I'd say they confused the crawfish, yeah.

Now I'm imagining a bowl full of house centipede gumbo and I want to die.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
now that i think about it you could prolly sub some insects in for crawfish

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I mean how different could they be? If something as hellish looking as a crawdad can taste so good, maybe it's time try to out centipede gumbo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

I mean how different could they be? If something as hellish looking as a crawdad can taste so good, maybe it's time try to out centipede gumbo

if you have to eat a centipede make sure you cook it first.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

uber_stoat posted:

if you have to eat a centipede make sure you cook it first.

Protect yourself from centipede brain parasites by filling your brain with :toxogond:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I'm reminded of the guy who ate a raw slug and died from literal brainworms a few years ago.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Glad the slug I found in my kettle one time was obviously plenty boiled

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

What is unappetizing about this?

re; Centipede.

https://sublimecuriosity.com/tag/centipede/

quote:

But I did chew it up, and I did taste it. If you’ve ever kept fish, you’ve probably had those fishy-smelling food flakes. And, more than likely, you’ve tasted them at least once, out of curiosity. They have the smell of a seafood section at a Chinese grocery store: very shrimpy and fishy. Not rotten or rancid, but remarkably pungent and, to Western palates, a bit unpleasant. That’s what a dried centipede smells like, and that’s pretty much what it tastes like: meat, fish and/or hermit crab food, and an underlying grassy flavor.

You'll find them fried in China.

http://www.followmefoodie.com/2012/10/beijing-china-eating-bugs-spiders-centipedes-on-donghuamen-night-market/

quote:

So what did it taste like? It tasted like dried spaghetti noodles. They fry them to a crisp so they really tasted like nothing. The centipede just tasted like a bunch of shells. There was no mushiness, creaminess, chewiness or texture besides crispy and a bit crunchy. It actually could have used a sprinkle of salt because the flavour was completely neutral.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm going to take a stand and say that I am anti-centipede. I might get some pushback on this but I'm sticking by it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ror posted:

I'm going to take a stand and say that I am anti-centipede. I might get some pushback on this but I'm sticking by it.

As food or just in general?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Having just watched Naked Lunch the other day, centipedechat is very amusing

They're drugs, not food, people!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Facebook Aunt posted:

As food or just in general?

Just in general. No thank you.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
A bit late, but I've always found LA beast to be genuine and sweet. For some reason people confuse him with Shoenice.

LA Beast is on Cameo for $43, btw, and Shoenice is there for $10.... I went the $43 option because I like the person I was sending the video to, he's a complete legend, sent a 5 minute rant.

e (yeah this is just my last 5 food pics now):
hawaiian sushi:

chicken meatloaf parm:

food lab mac & cheese

Griffin Burgo:

iRend has a new favorite as of 23:49 on Oct 19, 2020

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

iRend posted:

A bit late, but I've always found LA beast to be genuine and sweet. For some reason people confuse him with Shoenice.

LA Beast is on Cameo for $43, btw, and Shoenice is there for $10.... I went the $43 option because I like the person I was sending the video to, he's a complete legend, sent a 5 minute rant.

LA Beast is wholesome. He was putting out videos of him metal detecting in his yard earlier this year, it was great. He seems like a genuinely good guy.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

These videos are great... "so this is pasta?"

"Street Fighter? Super Mario Bros? Oh yeah I've played those, but my favorite was Rygar!"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/KevLAbeast/status/1318335442958405632?s=20

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

redgubbinz posted:

These videos are great... "so this is pasta?"

"Street Fighter? Super Mario Bros? Oh yeah I've played those, but my favorite was Rygar!"

:hmbol: the guy from rural Pakistan knows Rygar. dude, let's shoot the poo poo about old nes roms.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ror posted:

The wine thing that is AFP to me is the kalimotxo. It's half red wine and half Coke and apparently huge in Spain.

I learned it as a "katemba" from a South African friend who said it was also popular there. He always insisted on Merlot and Diet Coke specifically.
I just had that today! Technically a summer drink, but I'd like to finish this bottle of wine. I prefer a tempranillo (a cheap one from Aldi is fine) with diet/Zero cola. It's delicious. Lovely to drink on the deck in the sunshine.

You can also mix red wine with Sprite for a tinto de verano. It all depends what you have on hand.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

I really liked the guy in tan with the red/white head apparel I don't know the name of. Especially when he started picking apart stuff like the tortellini and lasagna, that's a thing I do when trying new food. If you don't tell me all about it before I eat it, and there's hidden stuff inside, I like to pick it apart and try to figure out how it's made and what it is. Not out of fear or concern for what's inside, I just gotta know what's in there. He has that vibe too.

I also get a big chestful of pride when I make something like a sandwich and cut it in half, and the cross section is good to look at. You can see the whole deal! And they all look great in there!

edit: Kalimotxo chat

I tried it with a sweet Spanish red that was like ~$20 for the bottle, and still one of the cheapest Spanish wines of any kind I could find. It was okay. Made it again with an oversweet local red wine (Bully Hill Sweet Walter Red), which is like, sweeter than grape juice. It barely tastes alcoholic on its own. Mixed with regular coke, it was a hit with: people that like sweet fruit cocktails, people that don't usually drink much at all, and people that prefer THOT juice like Bud Lime-a-ritas and such.

It is an extremely inoffensive drink, and I would recommend it to any drinker that likes sweet things. Beats the hell out of premade sangria for sure.

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 05:59 on Oct 20, 2020

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

uber_stoat posted:

:hmbol: the guy from rural Pakistan knows Rygar. dude, let's shoot the poo poo about old nes roms.

i actually watched the video and i think he was talking about the arcade Rygar which is an even more deep cut than the nintendo one. where did you find a Rygar cab dude.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I really liked the guy in tan with the red/white head apparel I don't know the name of. Especially when he started picking apart stuff like the tortellini and lasagna, that's a thing I do when trying new food. If you don't tell me all about it before I eat it, and there's hidden stuff inside, I like to pick it apart and try to figure out how it's made and what it is. Not out of fear or concern for what's inside, I just gotta know what's in there. He has that vibe too.

You see pros like Gordon Ramsey do this too, pick it apart, see all the ingredients and how they're cooked, then re-assemble them on the fork to taste them together.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs
The discussion about hobo booze got me searching for a few of the ones listed, and I came across https://bumwine.com. Some fun verbiage describing the varied bottled brain damage on there. An excerpt from Night Train:

"Night Train is all business when it pulls into the station. All aboard to nowhere - woo wooo! The night train runs only one route: sober to stupid with no roundtrip tickets available"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

You should check out more stuff from the YTube channel for this guy. He's fantastically grumpy all the time.

Edit: drat, beaten.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

I just had that today! Technically a summer drink, but I'd like to finish this bottle of wine. I prefer a tempranillo (a cheap one from Aldi is fine) with diet/Zero cola. It's delicious. Lovely to drink on the deck in the sunshine.

You can also mix red wine with Sprite for a tinto de verano. It all depends what you have on hand.

Hell yeah love me some Tinto de Verano. You should use lemon Fanta if you can find it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Samovar posted:

You should check out more stuff from the YTube channel for this guy. He's fantastically grumpy all the time.

Edit: drat, beaten.

Can confirm, he rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

krinklechip posted:

The discussion about hobo booze got me searching for a few of the ones listed, and I came across https://bumwine.com. Some fun verbiage describing the varied bottled brain damage on there. An excerpt from Night Train:

"Night Train is all business when it pulls into the station. All aboard to nowhere - woo wooo! The night train runs only one route: sober to stupid with no roundtrip tickets available"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMDljoM5JFI