Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

John Lee posted:

Some storylines are polished to that sitcom (sittrag?) level

The proper abbreviation would be sittradge. I take no joy in reporting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
MM&O's whole thing used to be explained by 'It's set in Tasmania'.

But the current arc transposes the characters and setting to the modern day USA, in spectacular fashion

VanSandman posted:

Oh Joy Sex Toy taught me a valuable lesson: Sex positivity must have its limits.

Main issue is that these comics are by, for and featuring the terminally twee above all else

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Oct 19, 2020

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

No way not to sound obnoxious with this but I feel it's more set in a kind of universal experience you get from being on anglophone internet but transposed to the real world.

in a liminal space between the two you could say :smug:

Grevling has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Oct 19, 2020

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Main issue is that these comics are by, for and featuring the terminally twee above all else

I would love to see what sex-positive comics meet with your approval to compare against.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Just Offscreen posted:

I would love to see what sex-positive comics meet with your approval to compare against.

Not that I disagree with you, but surely all but the most contrary goons agree oglaf is good and fine and not twee and sex positive

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

ikanreed posted:

Not that I disagree with you, but surely all but the most contrary goons agree oglaf is good and fine and not twee and sex positive

That is a good one, to be sure. Funny at least half the time too!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Just Offscreen posted:

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Elviscat posted:

Godamnit KSBD updates so loving slow.

It's probably the ridiculous, insane lusciously detailed artwork.

It updates twice a week, and every couple of months there's a delay for a big page or Abbadon is on vacation. Either way the delays are always announced on the front page.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Just Offscreen posted:

About half the Oglaf comics are funny but they're not uniformly distributed in time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's kinda funny how Oglaf is the example, since someone mentions that the work-safe ones are generally funnier almost every time the comic comes up. (which I agree with, not that all the NWS ones are bad or anything)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ChubbyChecker posted:

hah, that was the first hit when i searched for "funny korean comic", and the second hit was that great comic that you had posted earlier, would you happen to know its name?

I don't know the titles of the comics, just the artists. The shitlicockter guy is Cutbu, the long-strips guy is Yang Young-soon.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I don't know the titles of the comics, just the artists. The shitlicockter guy is Cutbu, the long-strips guy is Yang Young-soon.

:tipshat:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's kinda funny how Oglaf is the example, since someone mentions that the work-safe ones are generally funnier almost every time the comic comes up. (which I agree with, not that all the NWS ones are bad or anything)

I assume that's because the worksafe ones are kind of "off-topic" so the bar is higher for the quality of the joke

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
I really like false knees. The drawings of birds are quite good and occasionally the jokes are on point as well. The main point is the artist really just likes to draw birds. :allears:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Agreed with the False Knees love, and the book is great to have too

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

OK, this is obscure and I might have the wrong comic series entirely, but hopefully someone remembers having read it. It would be from when I still read newspaper comics so at least a decade+ ago.

I think it's a Doonesbury strip, probably the daughter character, sitting in front of a TV. The TV says something along the lines of "Stop watching. Get up. Turn this off. Go outside. Get some exercise." She starts getting up and leaving, for a panel or two. Then it says "Just kidding!" and she says something like "I kinda figured."

Anyone know the date, or at least exact quotes from it so I can search for it properly?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/yeetgarf/status/1318175132406480896

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Fuschia tude posted:

OK, this is obscure and I might have the wrong comic series entirely, but hopefully someone remembers having read it. It would be from when I still read newspaper comics so at least a decade+ ago.

I think it's a Doonesbury strip, probably the daughter character, sitting in front of a TV. The TV says something along the lines of "Stop watching. Get up. Turn this off. Go outside. Get some exercise." She starts getting up and leaving, for a panel or two. Then it says "Just kidding!" and she says something like "I kinda figured."

Anyone know the date, or at least exact quotes from it so I can search for it properly?

Sounds familiar. Probably had the penguin "Opus" for that one.

You could try the Comic Strips thread in BSS. You would 100% get an answer there.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908728

Opus and the first few years of Doonsebury have been posted several times over the years.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

the piss poo poo one looks exactly like a real comic that was posted itt or one of its predecessors years ago, but i cant remember its name to search for it. its two shithead kids who destroy everything constantly and its drawn very unpleasantly

The Creeps?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Byzantine posted:

The Creeps?

there are so many creeps comics, could you post pics

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The Creeps looks like it might be super edgy, but it's actually pretty tame and funny (for a black comedy strip).

Sadly GoComics removed all their archives for some reason, but there's bunch of them here: http://uniter.ca/author/jean-floch

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Kennel posted:

Sadly GoComics removed all their archives for some reason, but there's bunch of them here: http://uniter.ca/author/jean-floch

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Kennel posted:

The Creeps looks like it might be super edgy, but it's actually pretty tame and funny (for a black comedy strip).

Ahhh I loved The Creeps, is there a full archive somewhere to download? I miss it. I remember the arc of head bump cutting his fingers off and how the bump is actually his misshapen skull.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kennel posted:

:tipshat:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Baggot posted:

Ahhh I loved The Creeps, is there a full archive somewhere to download? I miss it. I remember the arc of head bump cutting his fingers off and how the bump is actually his misshapen skull.

You're in luck!

Angular Cyrus posted:

I figured this would happen sooner or later, so I recently went through the gocomics archive and saved everything. Here's a rar.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Kennel posted:

You're in luck!

Yesss, thank you! What a nice surprise for Monday. :)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:same:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The Creeps is the best goddamn thing and Angular Cyrus is the hero we needed.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Is the guy that does these still doing them?
Is he still alive?

Also, whilst I know these stupid computer comics never get political, the bloke who does them is in all the right demographisc, (old, out of touch, confused, angry at young people things), to be a Trump supporter. I really hope he isn't. Coz despite, or perhaps because of how stupid they are, I think they are sweet and endearing.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 00:39 on Oct 20, 2020

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Is he still alive?

Also, whilst I know these stupid computer comics never get political, the bloke who does them is in all the right demographisc, (old, out of touch, confused, angry at young people things), to be a Trump supporter. I really hope he isn't. Coz despite, or perhaps because of how stupid they are, I think they are sweet and endearing.

Charles Boyce is black so while it's not impossible, it is statistically speaking unlikely.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
lol Google

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

~MaChInE lEaRnInG~

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Yeah I don't think you need to worry about him being a chud

Wikipedia posted:

In February 2008, Boyce was involved in a protest which called for a greater representation of black cartoon artists in newspaper comics. The protest sought to bring attention to the problem of “tokenism” in newspapers, and brings to light the issues that many black comic artists face when trying to publish their works. In addition to Boyce, the artists that participated in the protest were Jerry Craft, Charlos Gary, Steve Watkins, Keith Knight, Bill Murray, and Tim Jackson. For one day, these cartoonists all drew a very similar comic strip, which showed a scene with a white reader looking at a minority-drawn strip and complaining that it is a rip-off of the Boondocks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Charles Boyce is a treasure and I will brook no slander against him.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

vyelkin posted:

Charles Boyce is black so while it's not impossible, it is statistically speaking unlikely.
Ininitialy read this as a reply to the first line :smith:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

that's some other Charles Boyce in Australia apparently

way to go, google

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

Is he still alive?

This one actually makes sense, a GPS's purpose is to prevent you from getting lost but instead this guy got lost on how to use it, so it's ironic. A rare coherent Boyce. Still not funny tho

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's more towards the gay rats end of the spectrum

I feel like the perfect example of gay rats is Raine Dog. The perfect example of "Whatever the gently caress this is" is Kevin and Kell because whenever someone shows me that comic I go, "What the gently caress is this?" The weird libertarian comic fits in here too.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Johnny Aztec posted:

Sounds familiar. Probably had the penguin "Opus" for that one.

You could try the Comic Strips thread in BSS. You would 100% get an answer there.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908728

Opus and the first few years of Doonsebury have been posted several times over the years.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-