Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

God drat, that dude's twitter feed is one for the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Can't believe this shocking lack of respect for Bruce.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah I went in expecting a typical Vincel but this guy has all sorts of brain worms.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah I know we're trying not to do the whole "post a guy's entire hosed up timeline" shtick anymore but yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dude has Charlie Kirk face.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I swear he had another handle which was posted here awhile back dudes got serious issues.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

You ain't kidding :yikes:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That might be one of the best tweets posted in this thread in a while.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

To be fair, it clearly shows they were right to fire him if simply losing his livelihood and having zero financial or professional obligation to them anymore was enough for him to VIOLATE their trust like this, smh.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/GoofyHit/status/1318323631492108289

This guy has a point, I think we need to talk about Dave's massive LIJ bias.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dave just loves that pure 100% Shingo beef.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I mean heck, it says right on the shirt that he's ungovernable, you can't blame Dave for showing up wherever he wants!

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/GoofyHit/status/1318323631492108289

This guy has a point, I think we need to talk about Dave's massive LIJ bias.

https://twitter.com/GoofyHit/with_replies

He LITERALLY created an account just to post that. Like, what kinda brain worms do WWE fans have?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what a goofy hit

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He probably thinks the phrase "hit the bricks, Goofy" is some kind of devastating burn as well. He's the WWE writer who wrote the "suffering succotash" line is my theory.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

He probably thinks the phrase "hit the bricks, Goofy" is some kind of devastating burn as well. He's the WWE writer who wrote the "suffering succotash" line is my theory.

It a squared circle jerk meme because one of their posters was told “you post on scjerk therefore your opinion is irrelevant, hit the bricks goofy”.

SCJerk is a weird mostly incel esque sub where they do things like rightfully criticize squared circle for being racist while also being racist and transphobic.

Reddit is bad! If you knew all this i’m sorry for explaining and assuming you don’t. I’m sad I know this stuff, turns out I’m the goffy one.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I really don’t get a particular subset of Wrestling Twitter’s vendetta against Meltzer. People just lose their drat minds trying to discredit him when it takes way less energy to simply not read Dave Meltzer if you don’t like what he says.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

Reddit is bad! If you knew all this i’m sorry for explaining and assuming you don’t. I’m sad I know this stuff, turns out I’m the goffy one.

Don’t apologize for explaining things like this, because you can assume at least one person doesn’t know anything about what you are explaining and is learning something about the texture of wrestling bad opinions.

And that person is me, I’m the one learning about this dumb poo poo.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The internet can provide relative anonymity and immediacy so when we see something we disagree with, we let loose with vitriol where we don't think about the consequences of our actions.

I'd guess that people unloading on Meltzer can't unload in other parts of their life so when they release this bile on him.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

there was a guy on an indie show i was watching the other day who was wearing a "F*CK DAVE MELTZER" shirt and like the series of bad decisions to have to make to end up buying that shirt, wearing it in public, at an independent wrestling show is mind boggling

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i don’t think there’s anything lamer than a sweary t-shirt, except for a censored sweary t-shirt

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

counterpoint:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

It a squared circle jerk meme because one of their posters was told “you post on scjerk therefore your opinion is irrelevant, hit the bricks goofy”.

SCJerk is a weird mostly incel esque sub where they do things like rightfully criticize squared circle for being racist while also being racist and transphobic.

I had literally no clue and am glad you posted this because it's makes it even funnier and more sad.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

The only thing funnier than a really insular and weird community's memes is when one of them shows up somewhere and everyone else is just confused as gently caress. I'm dying laughing at this so thanks for explaining it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also, Eat My Fuc

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

cuf ym tae

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you ever want to be able to know somebody is DEFINITELY holding back tears as they type, I highly recommend SCJerk.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Big Dave posted:

there was a guy on an indie show i was watching the other day who was wearing a "F*CK DAVE MELTZER" shirt and like the series of bad decisions to have to make to end up buying that shirt, wearing it in public, at an independent wrestling show is mind boggling

That’s a Prichard podcast shirt.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MJeff posted:

If you ever want to be able to know somebody is DEFINITELY holding back tears as they type, I highly recommend SCJerk.

There’s also the Zero Fucks Friday thread in r/SquaredCircle where people unleash the rage they’ve been holding in all week about how mean people are to WWE.

It’s group therapy but for Vincels. Just paragraphs and paragraphs about how Retribution is actually incredibly well done and the fact that people complain about them just shows that the marks say they want long term story telling but don’t actually want it.

Here’s some highlights from the most recent one:

absolutely stewing about a 3 year old joke tweet posted:

I know this is like three years late, gently caress Miro for his "Bury Me Softly, Brother" tweet.

Excluding my personal feelings about the WWE x Saudi relationship, you've being asked to work with the loving Undertaker in a high profile match on a major PPV and you tweet something like that? gently caress that.

Next time you're in a meeting at work, make sure you loudly say something like, "Ugh, I hope this meeting isn't too long. I loving hate these things." and see how that plays out.

Then you wonder why your boss isn't as high on you as other employees? *Shocked Pikachu Meme Face*

quote:

AEW hasn't even reached 2000s TNA levels, not in any reguard: ratings, homegrown talent, legends, storylines, matches...

quote:

AEW is the same old poo poo every week. A bunch of long matches where you already know the winner. You know Moxley will bury someone in a death match where they both blade. You know Cody will cut a promo about how much he loves wrestling. You know the young bucks will do some stupid super kick. You know FTR will win some boring match with someone. You know Darby Allin will do a run in with his skateboard. You know if there is a women's match it will last 3 minutes.

There is nothing fresh or exciting (except the botches). It is all redundant and predictable. Many of the same criticisms can be applied to WWE television.

AEW hit a million viewers recently because of almost killing Matt Hardy. People wanted to see what he would say and if he was alive or able to actually walk/talk properly. That is the only "must see" TV they have had since they launched. The rest of it is just predictable wrestling 101. No originality at all.

quote:

Sonny Kiss isn't good.

lmao posted:

No... NXT has not changed. It’s the same as it’s always been. Stop with that narrative just so you can justify why you jumped ship as soon as a new shiny toy came along.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

i don’t think there’s anything lamer than a sweary t-shirt, except for a censored sweary t-shirt

Seams posted:

That’s a Prichard podcast shirt.

Oh drat I was wrong

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
How can any WWE fan complain that AEW is repetitive? How does lightning not just strike them dead at that very moment??

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

There’s also the Zero Fucks Friday thread in r/SquaredCircle where people unleash the rage they’ve been holding in all week about how mean people are to WWE.

It’s group therapy but for Vincels. Just paragraphs and paragraphs about how Retribution is actually incredibly well done and the fact that people complain about them just shows that the marks say they want long term story telling but don’t actually want it.

Here’s some highlights from the most recent one:

oh so its literally a bunch of crying wojak memes come to life

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh man you really wanna see some tears, when somebody does the "TNA did better numbers than AEW!" bit, bring up how AEW makes money and TNA never drew a dime. Tell them AEW is objectively more successful than TNA ever was and people LOSE IT.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Yeah doesn’t every aew PPV draw more buys than like an entire year’s worth of TNA PPVs during their peak

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Yeah doesn’t every aew PPV draw more buys than like an entire year’s worth of TNA PPVs during their peak

How long did it take TNA to abandon the weekly PPV model?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
:stare:

Weekly?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yes, before TNA had TV this was their model. I think $15 PPVs on a weekly basis. It lasted I think 4 months before they became unable to pay the venue because they weren't getting enough money in.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
who the gently caress would spend fifteen dollars a week to watch a wrestling show

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i would have told you the weekly ppv thing probably lasted 18 months or something. i don't know why. maybe i was just impressed that they were able to keep it up longer than 2 or 3 attempts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

njsykora posted:

Yes, before TNA had TV this was their model. I think $15 PPVs on a weekly basis. It lasted I think 4 months before they became unable to pay the venue because they weren't getting enough money in.

They were $10 per week. They had to leave their original venue basically before the first shows even happened because they couldn't come close to filling it.

The weekly PPVs lasted for about 2 years, I believe there were 110 total, from June 2002 to September 2004. They averaged 8-10,000 buys per week, the biggest weekly show being Jarrett vs Raven which did around 40,000 but of course they were too smart to put the belt on Raven then.

When they moved to monthly PPVs the shows were briefly really good so they got up to 25,000 buys per month in the period where they didn't have any TV in mid 2005. This eventually went down, they brought in Russo and Angle, did 50,000 for BFG (mostly off people wanting to see Joe and Angle have a confrontation) then 60,000 for Genesis with Joe/Angle 1, 30,000 the next month for Joe/Angle II, and then 25,000 for Joe/Angle III the month after.

From here they dwindled down to the 10-20,000 range, eventually settling down at closer to 10,000 per show. Joe Angle V at Lockdown 2008 was the exception doing 60-70,000 buys.