Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

idk i'd work for fb if the price was right. tree fiddy? could be worse: you could be a defense contractor

tbh, you could probably make an argument that facebook is ethically worse than some pork-barrel contractor

90%+ of defense spending goes to building useless bullshit. Facebook actively makes us divided and mean, all over the globe.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Facilitating genocide is definitely one of my bright lines.

Honestly everyone should have a think about what ethically dubious things they're okay with, are only okay with if they're getting a shitload of money, and are not okay with under any circumstances. Having an idea up-front helps you avoid getting into a frog-in-the-pot situation.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 15, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you get offers from fuckface places and use em to bolster your negotiating position for other plces and then reject them witha nice guffaw lol

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

titaniumone posted:

Shortly after finishing my final interview, I got an email from the hiring manager to tell me that my interviews went well and I had great feedback and that they'd be making me an offer soon and to watch for the official email from the recruiter. I was very appreciative of this, the whole process of looking for a new job has been very anxiety inducing and I thought it was nice of him to let me know the outcome was positive instead of making me wait for the recruiter to get in touch :unsmith:

this happened to me once and then i didn't get an offer

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

raminasi posted:

this happened to me once and then i didn't get an offer

yeah you know you have an offer when they send you documents to sign and frankly not really after that either

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
you dont really have a job until they hand you your building security badge

firm job offers go poof at the eleventh hour all the time

the worst thing you can do is slacken or wind down all the other job hunting you are doing because you think its over and youve got the job you want

job hunting sucks and the impulse to stop doing once it looks like youve succeeded it is incredibly strong, but you need to put that aside and keep hunting and sending out resumes and going on interviews right up until you get your badge and fill out the direct-deposit paperwork on your first official day

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol no don't keep interviewing while you're moving for a job. especially if you won't be"getting a badge" until WFH ends in however long. it's possible that things fall apart, sure, but inconveniencing yourself to any significant degree based on that small probability is goofy.

but yeah don't put too much stock in just words. bdid is right, it ain't over until there's real documents involved and signatures and legalese involved

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it’s not a real offer until you have a document to sign. before that it’s just words.

signed my new contract, told my boss that I’m leaving. feels good man. so good to know I won’t be dealing with that loving dumpster fire group anymore.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jabor posted:

Facilitating genocide is definitely one of my bright lines.

Honestly everyone should have a think about what ethically dubious things they're okay with, are only okay with if they're getting a shitload of money, and are not okay with under any circumstances. Having an idea up-front helps you avoid getting into a frog-in-the-pot situation.

i draw the line just beyond 'customers throwing money at me even though i'm explicitly telling them that they're wasting it'

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

FMguru posted:

you dont really have a job until they hand you your building security badge

firm job offers go poof at the eleventh hour all the time

the worst thing you can do is slacken or wind down all the other job hunting you are doing because you think its over and youve got the job you want

job hunting sucks and the impulse to stop doing once it looks like youve succeeded it is incredibly strong, but you need to put that aside and keep hunting and sending out resumes and going on interviews right up until you get your badge and fill out the direct-deposit paperwork on your first official day

I'm definitely not leaving my job until I have a signed offer; I just appreciated the relief of being told what to expect instead of being left hanging.

Good advice all around.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I just got a promotion, and as I've been working for this promotion for a long time, I'm running into that situation where once you reach the north pole your compass stops working.

I'm completely at a loss what to do next.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Celebrate.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
relax and chill out. rake in the money

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah the best thing about a promotion is you can concentrate on getting good at what you do for a while and not stress about the next step.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

if any yospos are interested in working at AWS pm me. I get a referral bonus of course and I want to put a skylight in my office so some sweet referral cash would be nice

in return I can coach you on our weirdo interview process

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
I applied to some jobs but haven’t gotten any interviews yet. should I get a webcam? any webcam recommendations for interviewing and/or making money on the side by having lonely people give me money?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Gentle Autist posted:

if any yospos are interested in working at AWS pm me. I get a referral bonus of course and I want to put a skylight in my office so some sweet referral cash would be nice

in return I can coach you on our weirdo interview process

no but I am interested in the amazon culture. is it as dickish as the rumors I’ve heard?

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Faith For Two posted:

I applied to some jobs but haven’t gotten any interviews yet. should I get a webcam? any webcam recommendations for interviewing and/or making money on the side by having lonely people give me money?

At some stage interviewers are going to expect to do video calls so getting a webcam would be a good idea. All you need is any decent name brand cam eg Logitech.

The microphones are generally poo poo so you might consider getting some kind of desk mic or lavalier mic. Or just wear your gaming headset if you want to look like a particular type of weirdo.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

The Management posted:

no but I am interested in the amazon culture. is it as dickish as the rumors I’ve heard?

in my team and region it’s fine, people are nice. it’s a bit fart smelly but it’s not like a crazy aggressive backstab fest like that nytimes article reported. Pretty much everyone I’ve dealt with at AWS has been solid

It’s a pretty good place to work

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

titaniumone posted:

At some stage interviewers are going to expect to do video calls so getting a webcam would be a good idea. All you need is any decent name brand cam eg Logitech.

The microphones are generally poo poo so you might consider getting some kind of desk mic or lavalier mic. Or just wear your gaming headset if you want to look like a particular type of weirdo.

have a tricked out boom-mounted condenser mic setup

this actually doesn't work as well as you'd think because zoom optimizes its poo poo for garbo webcam and laptop built-in mics. even with the "massage my audio" setting disabled it still seems to gently caress poo poo up in weird ways, whereas OBS and audacity are fine

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
zoom is garbage software that handles drop outs and bandwidth changes very poorly. almost every other video conferencing app does it way better

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I can't believe I'm kind of excited to be switching to teams soon

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

silvergoose posted:

I can't believe I'm kind of excited to be switching to teams soon

we use teams and zoom and teams is slightly less annoying but still bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the teams client is dogshit, but its still better than zoom

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

video conferencing is only like 30% of what teams does, and 100% of what zoom does

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

video conferencing is only like 30% of what teams does, and 100% of what zoom does

The other 70% is Sharepoint

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i mean, there is also the bad messaging client, but otherwise yes

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
share point constantly fails to load PDFs for me unless I refresh three or four times.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
from Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, a sourcebook for shadowrun 3rd edition published 1998:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Gentle Autist posted:

in my team and region it’s fine, people are nice. it’s a bit fart smelly but it’s not like a crazy aggressive backstab fest like that nytimes article reported. Pretty much everyone I’ve dealt with at AWS has been solid

It’s a pretty good place to work

i find it funny how people have really leaned into the "well i'm just a simple country engineer" stchick of being super humble about architecture choices, but the alternative like a few other big tech others would be quite a bit worse.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

FamDav posted:

i find it funny how people have really leaned into the "well i'm just a simple country engineer" stchick of being super humble about architecture choices, but the alternative like a few other big tech others would be quite a bit worse.

i don’t understand this post really

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Gentle Autist posted:

same

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Gentle Autist posted:

trying to phrase this in a way that doesn’t sound mean spirited.

in the past two or so years we’ve really started tooting our horn about how we don’t toot our horn about how we chose to build things, or how we choose simple answers to problems rather than chase complexity. these kinds of choices are absolutely right (at scale solutions not scaling down, preferring strict isolation vs complex machinery, etc.) but there’s a performative aspect to it that i find funny. part of my opinion might be because i’m more adjacent to the twittery parts of aws.

this is independent of thinking it’s a great place to work, which imo it generally is. if you’re not ok with a document/meeting heavy culture then you may not like it, and there’s a high degree of risk aversion technically while also demanding a lot of feature velocity. this manifests as competing efforts to improve efficiency and safety, as you’re continually trying to derisk more changes written by more (and less experienced) people going out to more (and weirder) production environments.

and obviously if you aren’t into operations then you will almost certainly hate it.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

interviewing: adjacent to the twittery parts of aws

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So my initial feeling is that a company with involvement in/exposure to the real estate sector is something of a :redflag: currently? I guess I'm feeling like: COVID is still going on, the economy is still getting worse, and even if these weren't the case the epidemic has probably shown that a lot of office space rental is literally wasted money?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Everything's a big question mark right now but yeah, real estate seems particularly questionable.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Why are recruiters

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
no one knows

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

titaniumone posted:

Why are recruiters

Samsara?

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
third party recruiters are a legacy from before the internet was useful. they are entirely garbage. don’t talk to them.

first party recruiters are basically secretaries for scheduling interviews. be nice to them