Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

Rasmus posted:

It really seems like something that should have caught on in America.

we're not really a gravy people, our version is chili cheese fries

e: amazing snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Scantron
Nov 6, 2009

Scrolling past this I this was my old dog until I noticed the tail.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hardon Crime posted:

What is biscuits and gravy then?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Inceltown posted:

if it’s sausage cream gravy then it’s a proper breakfast

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Inceltown posted:

Isn't that a white pork gravy?

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Hardon Crime posted:

also curds sound gross to americans because we're uncultured

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What's a fish and pin

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
sorry for the cheesy joke

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Free Curdistan

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's a fish and pin

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's a fish and pin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_bbU_BUIC0

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I heard this too, like it's pig bung or something. I don't know if it's true but I can't imagine the size of the loving squid you'd need to land to get them rings off it?

Basically calamari is very mysterious but also very tasty.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

OwlFancier posted:

I heard this too, like it's pig bung or something. I don't know if it's true but I can't imagine the size of the loving squid you'd need to land to get them rings off it?

Squid come in all different sizes, friend.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

E: looking it up apparently it's like cross sections of the mantle, I always thought it was like, suckers.

Which is why it was weird because like, you'd have to be catching some massive loving squid all the time to get suckers that big.

God I haven't had calamari in so long, I wish it wasn't so expensive where I live.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Source: was a line cook for years.

Calamari are ring shaped because when you yank out the inedible crap inside the little squids, they're basically hollow cylinders (since the squid is 95% mantle or tentacles). So when you chop it etc, the slices are ring shaped

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know ... the size of the loving squid you'd need to land to get them rings off it?

Pretty small, it's the body of a squid cut into rings, not suction cups (if that's what u mean?)

efb

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like I've just witnessed a "wait, what did you think the 'whites' of the eggs were" moment

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/484/doppelgangers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Frankly I feel like a little bit of joy in my heart has died now that I know where calamari comes from. Farewell mystical sea meat of my dreams, hello mundane squid slices. You may never taste as sweet again.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, that's all bullshit. I've eaten both, they taste nothing alike

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Calamari is what you do to find out if the baby’s yours

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ultrafilter posted:

It's a little bit of a mystery that it hasn't.

The Australian version is a shitload of chips covered with a shitload of gyro meat (one or more kinds), with a shitload of BBQ Sauce, Garlic Sauce and Chilli Sauce slathered all over it. Best served at two in the morning while utterly sloshed.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Calamari is what you do to find out if the baby’s yours

More like OLD NO HE DIDN'T!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you landed one of them collosal squids, the sort that get in fights with whales and drag ships into the inky black abyss of the ocean floor, how big would the rings be once you sliced it up?

Theoretically speaking.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Rasmus posted:

Good poutine is loving fantastic, then you die from salt overload. It really seems like something that should have caught on in America.

One of my must do things when I was visiting Toronto last year was some real poutine. While which poutine that is can start a (Canadian) fight, a large group suggested, and I can confirm that Smoke's Poutinerie was amazing and probably took two months off my life. It's probably a good thing they're very far away from me now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you landed one of them collosal squids, the sort that get in fights with whales and drag ships into the inky black abyss of the ocean floor, how big would the rings be once you sliced it up?

Theoretically speaking.

About the size of a truck tyre, apparently.

I also like "about" 982 millimeters wide.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

E: looking it up apparently it's like cross sections of the mantle, I always thought it was like, suckers.

Which is why it was weird because like, you'd have to be catching some massive loving squid all the time to get suckers that big.

God I haven't had calamari in so long, I wish it wasn't so expensive where I live.

what the gently caress, dude

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Well I'm about to charter a ship and set out on the course of opening the most ill advised seafood gimmick restaurant in history.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

drat horror queefs posted:

Source: was a line cook for years.

Calamari are ring shaped because when you yank out the inedible crap inside the little squids, they're basically hollow cylinders (since the squid is 95% mantle or tentacles). So when you chop it etc, the slices are ring shaped

I like the calamaris you get with the tiny squids where they don't chop anything and you just eat a whole deep fried sea monster.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Alaois posted:

what the gently caress, dude

Wait until they find out what canned fish assholes are made of!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Well I'm about to charter a ship and set out on the course of opening the most ill advised seafood gimmick restaurant in history.

Sorry, bud. Giant and colossal squid have a lot of ammonia in their flesh. Probably due to weird biochemistry to counter pressure at depth.

They would not be edible by any means.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The forbidden calamari...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Look at this scrub who hasn't eaten Hákarl

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In hindsight it actually makes a lot of sense that squid rings would not be made out of suckers because all the suckers go to make spaghetti hoops instead.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Rasmus posted:

Bad poutine is horrendous, even compared to other low-quality versions of trash foods.

Good poutine is loving fantastic, then you die from salt overload. It really seems like something that should have caught on in America.

I miss living in Vancouver...

Why is this amazing punchline getting skipped over

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Funny thing is that gatling guns are specifically designed to avoid that kind of overheating problem, with the barrels having time to cool off as they rotate before being fired again. Weird thing is this design predates machine guns as we know them.

The other kind of calamari I presume is from the mantle being cut lengthways.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

MrUnderbridge posted:

Sorry, bud. Giant and colossal squid have a lot of ammonia in their flesh. Probably due to weird biochemistry to counter pressure at depth.

They would not be edible by any means.

We already solved this problem. You just soak it in piss, and bury it on the beach for a year or two.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is that gatling guns are specifically designed to avoid that kind of overheating problem, with the barrels having time to cool off as they rotate before being fired again. Weird thing is this design predates machine guns as we know them.

The other kind of calamari I presume is from the mantle being cut lengthways.

IIRC cutting calamari into rings instead of lengthwise is to prevent it from curling up when cooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ante posted:

Why is this amazing punchline getting skipped over

There's two vancouvers is one of them funny in this context?