Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Which is where the all-meat diet and Russian medicine enters the picture, and pimping his daughter:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

I know SA hates the guy, but his older material was really the sort of thing you had to pay a lot of money to have access to via university. He put it all online for free, which is cool.

pretty much every professor thats any good publishes their lectures online now a days:
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

Which is where the all-meat diet and Russian medicine enters the picture, and pimping his daughter:

lol lol lol

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I couldn't watch the whole video because JP's voice makes my eyes hurt but did he ever admit that his beef and salt diet might have contributed to his ill health?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Yeah he may be depressed but have you seen his abs and aggressive hairstyle?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hardon Crime posted:

the left needs a new intifada and a new international

they did its CSPAM

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rutibex posted:

they did its CSPAM

So the left is doomed, you're saying?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The_Continental posted:

My armchair psychoanalysis is that he was a typically disenchanted man trapped in the malaise of academic obscurity who found a niche saying things designed to perk the ears of certain types of right wing boys. He's succeeded and has had to double down on his personal brand, which has brought him further attention and supercharged his imposter syndrome, which is already fairly common in academics of his stripe. He receives confirmation of his imposter syndrome when placed in front of guys like Zizek, of whom he never deserved to share a dais in the first place. He can't back down because he's receiving constant reinforcement from his increasingly puerile fanbase, that he generally despises. All of this culminates in acute anxiety which he now has to treat with Benzos.

hello jordan i didn't know you posted here

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So the left is doomed, you're saying?

always was

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Ngl I'd smash Peterson's daughter and eat steak with her.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mind the walrus posted:

that is too perfect to be real

e:omg it's real

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

it looks like a Chuck Tingle book. Pounded in the Butt by MEAT ONLY

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

mind the walrus posted:

wowie zowie

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Rinkles posted:

Wait till you find out she's dating a stalinist pimp.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Boo, it seems it's just some rando's compilation, not authorized by peterson

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

mind the walrus posted:

Look at little, tiny Jordy there, like hes been swimming in the sea and it's cold and he wants to go home and play Sonic 2 but his mum meets her friend on the way to the car.

My only Jordan Peterson story is a girl I know who is a parent in her 30s who will unironically post pictures of Jack Skellington with a machine gun with the hashtags #rockchick #yogalife #self-actualization followed by a black and white picture of her reading Nietzsche or Peterson like a doughy incel despite being really quite pretty and socially competent.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 20, 2020

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I always think he sounds like Bob Odenkirk

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

they did its CSPAM

They skipped right from hopeful activism to nihilism when less than 100% of things went their way. They're not even leftists at this point. It's grim in there.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Grevling posted:

Instead of that there are people who will help you for free, they're called priests and imams.

The wife of an alcoholic acquaintance dragged him to a russian-orthodox priest once and the priest said he was possessed by an evil spirit and the spirit needs to be removed.

I mean, I'm not saying that an exorcism wouldn't have cured his alcoholism. Who really knows how that stuff works and the science isn't really settled on the issue of exorcism, but I never heard a psychotherapist trying to perform one so they are definitely not doing the same thing. There are at least some subtle differences

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
a lot of CSPAM/DnD don't believe in democracy anymore, not in a "wow our democracy sucks" way but in a "most of the population is literally too stupid to vote" way

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

GABA ghoul posted:

The wife of an alcoholic acquaintance dragged him to a russian-orthodox priest once and the priest said he was possessed by an evil spirit and the spirit needs to be removed.

I mean, I'm not saying that an exorcism wouldn't have cured his alcoholism. Who really knows how that stuff works and the science isn't really settled on the issue of exorcism, but I never heard a psychotherapist trying to perform one so they are definitely not doing the same thing. There are at least some subtle differences

Not to be stereotyping but if it was a Russian orthodox priest he would presumably have a lot of experience dealing with this stuff, and when you think about it alcoholism really is caused by spirits so all I'm saying is give it a chance.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Grevling posted:

Not to be stereotyping but if it was a Russian orthodox priest he would presumably have a lot of experience dealing with this stuff, and when you think about it alcoholism really is caused by spirits so all I'm saying is give it a chance.

Oh I totally agree. At the very least, being exorcised by a priest sounds like a fun way to spend an afternoon and maybe vodka demons are real, who knows? But looking at the insane prevalence rate of alcoholism in Russia it doesn't seem like their approach is working THAT great. Maybe treating it like a character flaw and demonic possession is less effective than treating it as a disease and using empirically supported treatments.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Your immutable character is your strength, unwavering and brave in the face of adversity. Many, Many people have strengthened their resolve through the news of your continual recovery.

Be well my friend and keep doing what's right.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

abigserve posted:

a lot of CSPAM/DnD don't believe in democracy anymore, not in a "wow our democracy sucks" way but in a "most of the population is literally too stupid to vote" way

It's more that there exists an endless tide of boomers who turn out in droves to vote for the worst things, presumably out of pure spite

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

It's more that there exists an endless tide of boomers who turn out in droves to vote for the worst things, presumably out of pure spite

it turns out democracy fails when you get a huge generation of greedy selfish people who only vote for their own interests

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It comes down to cultural brainwashing. Of course if you preach the false values of destructive narrow minded individualism your society will go to poo poo and you'll need a heavy handed reset

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Lol

Psychoanalysis is literal vudu (real)

And psychology is figurative voodoo (fake as hell)

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Imago Swerve that's my name on the street

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Don't forget philosophy's just old white men jerking off. Unless we talking about my boy Diogenes he's cool

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Moon Atari posted:

Problem with that is that I'm barely allowed to even share the vague details of those models to anyone who isn't paying a lot of money for it. 

Or what? Allowed by who?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Disco Pope posted:

a girl I know who is a parent in her 30s who will unironically post pictures of Jack Skellington with a machine gun with the hashtags #rockchick #yogalife #self-actualization followed by a black and white picture of her reading Nietzsche or Peterson like a doughy incel despite being really quite pretty and socially competent.

I know a middle-aged middle-class white English yoga teacher, a total nimrod in other words, who calls him Professor every time she mentions him.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

Don't forget philosophy's just old white men jerking off. Unless we talking about my boy Diogenes he's cool

Diogenes jerking off is philosophy

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Yes, but he was Greek

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Inverted Icon posted:

Lol

Psychoanalysis is literal vudu (real)

And psychology is figurative voodoo (fake as hell)

IRC there are meta studies showing that the choice of therapeutic approach(cognitive-behavioral, psychoanalytical, etc.) isn't even that important for the long term outcome. The most important part is just talking about your poo poo with an objective, experienced professional.

That's probably very simplified, but my impression is that the most important factor is the competence and motivation of the practitioner and the advantage of CBT is that it gives a mediocre or bad therapist a lot less room to gently caress up cause it's very structured and methodical. It's color by numbers, but for psychotherapy. If you put in the work, you are guaranteed to get something out of it. There is a lot less of a guarantee of that with psychoanalytical poo poo

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Colonel Cancer posted:

I was on the fence but this post is what convinced me to enroll for my M.A. Phil thank you

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Or what? Allowed by who?

The companies who own them and are extremely protective of their IP. These things are mainly used to augment other executive selection assessments, or in executive level leadership training. That's the only way you get the money to extensively test such things.
I would be allowed to talk about all the sales pitch stuff, the evidence in their favour, validity stats, the insane sample sizes compared to academia etc. I could give a shallow overview of the broadest level of their framework since they already make that public, and that they use very advanced versions of computerized adaptive testing. Saville's looks like this:

But it has way more to it than that. Even if I was willing to risk getting more detailed I would have to refresh myself, since it has been a long time since I practiced in this area, or even as a psychologist. The easiest way to illustrate how much more complex they are than any of the well known and publicly accessible personality tests would be to scan in and post my own results on the tests–but doing so could be discovered and get me in legal trouble, and also would expose my terrible and flawed personality. Plus it's derailing the thread.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Moon Atari posted:

The companies who own them and are extremely protective of their IP. These things are mainly used to augment other executive selection assessments, or in executive level leadership training.

be honest, this is all just a bunch of bullshit so that the board of directors can "scientifically" pick the white guy to be CEO right?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
wonder how many russian plumbing systems jordan peterson and his daughters all meat diet wrecked while he was rehabbing from his klonppin addiction

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Moon Atari posted:

The companies who own them and are extremely protective of their IP. These things are mainly used to augment other executive selection assessments, or in executive level leadership training. That's the only way you get the money to extensively test such things.
I would be allowed to talk about all the sales pitch stuff, the evidence in their favour, validity stats, the insane sample sizes compared to academia etc. I could give a shallow overview of the broadest level of their framework since they already make that public, and that they use very advanced versions of computerized adaptive testing. Saville's looks like this:

But it has way more to it than that. Even if I was willing to risk getting more detailed I would have to refresh myself, since it has been a long time since I practiced in this area, or even as a psychologist. The easiest way to illustrate how much more complex they are than any of the well known and publicly accessible personality tests would be to scan in and post my own results on the tests–but doing so could be discovered and get me in legal trouble, and also would expose my terrible and flawed personality. Plus it's derailing the thread.

I am deeply suspicious of heavily litigious IPs that prominently feature pyramids.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is horoscopes with DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Regarde Aduck posted:

They skipped right from hopeful activism to nihilism

LF went the same way lol