Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

landgrabber posted:

What if there were donation/reader funded papers?

Yeah, we would call it something like "The Defender" and it would never ever be the shittiest, most biased and hypocritical rag in the business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
adderall owns

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

the guardian is definitely not the shittiest paper in the business

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's not the *shittiest* but it's the most insidious

also it's poo poo tier ever since they accepted a spot on the defence and security advisory notice committee and got officially subverted by the british security state

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

landgrabber posted:

I'm not claiming there is a perfect. there's only a widely agreed on mythical ideal. and you seem to be glossing past how I was only talking about that aspect, and how, for what feels like dozens of times, I said I didn't really give a poo poo about this issue in particular -- it just concerns me that cynicism is so pervasive, when to affect any change in any area of any left movement, we're going to need to believe in something that will seem unrealistic. if you want to vent about how hopeless doing anything with the media is, then don't let me ruin that for you, but I've made it pretty clear that outside of going "huh. guess that'd be nice" in a conceptual way, I haven't even really thought about the issue, because as I said in my very first post about this -- I don't think it's an issue worth really even spending time thinking about.

again, the problem isn't that we're all so cynical that we don't think it's possible to strive for "good news media" - what people are taking issue with is your framing of "good news media" as being "objective", rather than being leftist

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbh i think that there is something to be said for *honest* as opposed to specifically *left-wing* journalism. i have no great problem with reading bourgeois papers for my daily or local news, so long as they're actually reporting the news in a reasonably honest fashion (I.e. accurately report conflicts of interest in votes, convey what conflicts are relevant in a reasonable way etc). a big part of the issue is that these papers are *selectively* honest, such as the guardian throwing out any sense of proportionality in going after jeremy corbyn. this sort of basic honesty is imo what a lot of people are calling for when they're calling for objectivity in reporting or whatever

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
That’s right

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's probably a way to frame that argument in a way that doesn't come off like the saying "reality has a liberal bias", and there's probably even some truth to it, but it lies beyond my ability.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
yea maybe it’s my own projection but liberal calls for objectivity in journalism always just ring as endorsement of neoliberal trash like npr poo poo.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

y'all were mean to a teenager smh

when I turned 18, I had just missed my chance at voting for Obama and felt sorry for it, give that guy a break

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

when I turned 18, I had just missed my chance at voting for Obama and felt sorry for it, give that guy a break

i was perfecting my scores in Diddy Kong Racing

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i say swears online posted:

i was perfecting my scores in Diddy Kong Racing

hm... old

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i will squash your head with my superior 30s upper body strength

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i say swears online posted:

i will squash your head with my superior 30s upper body strength

oh no, I'm being bullied like it's 1997!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

see you on the slopes, nerd

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

this

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Crane Fist posted:

This guy seems cool. I would love to hear more of his thoughts and opinions on everyone's favourite podcasters, which are sure to be interesting and insightful, definitely not asinine childish babbling that we've heard rephrased one thousand times already every time someone mentions Amber

this too

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Please do not disturb the teenager. His mother might smell internet weirdos on him and toss him out of the nest. Observe from a safe and respectful distance.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Have chapos put out their vote biden pod yet?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

at 18 i was a smarmy edgelord who thought voting was stupid and the entire system needed dismantling

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
it's a nice change of pace that someone doesn't like amber because she's rude and annoying instead of she said a Bad word or made a cheap joke about china 4 years ago like the rest of the rose emoji qq crew. i don't necessarily agree but thank u

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mr Hootington posted:

Have chapos put out their vote biden pod yet?

They have said over and over again they don't care if people vote Biden or not.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

They're just biding their time. In the last couple of days before voting ends they'll put out an EMERGENCY POD: We changed out minds you must vote for Biden! You know it's important because it's us saying it! Then we'll know openly what we've all know all along, that they're a freaking op.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

extremely mad and uncontrollably shakeing thinking about what kind of liberalism the ch*pos will release next

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Grevling posted:

They're just biding their time. In the last couple of days before voting ends they'll put out an EMERGENCY POD: We changed out minds you must vote for Biden! You know it's important because it's us saying it! Then we'll know openly what we've all know all along, that they're a freaking op.

They'll do it the day after the election as a pre intro drop bit

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
i don't remember the dry boys vote shaming for hillary, i doubt they'll do it for joe. stay calm

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Grevling posted:

deep cover christman

ur in my world now posted:

i don't remember the dry boys vote shaming for hillary, i doubt they'll do it for joe. stay calm

I just think it would be very funny and a nice cherry on the poo poo sundae

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 15:55 on Oct 20, 2020

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

ur in my world now posted:

stanning for Joe in an ep that drops the day after the election telling their producer to make sure to get the episode out the day of the election because it's vitally important to democracy all before the intro drop would be a decent bit :colbert:

granted, with the election happening, there's probably going to be so many better bits available

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

i love the chapo fanfic thread so much

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm so mad about them doing that thing I assume they've done that they haven't actually done yet.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i like podcasts because they let me get really mad at people i will never meet or know and who honestly may not even exist. i like shouting at ghosts, it's healthy and it improves my life in all kinds of ways.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The takes of a thousand recorded podcasts weighs like an alp on the brains of the Online.

Grevling posted:

FELIX: I love how *sound of hammer being cocked* uhhh Jack Ryan is the best show on TV right now

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Does nobody remember the episode Chapo put out before the 2016 election where the whole gang performed "Fight Song"?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Das ist mein kampf lieb

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
curious that no one is mad at episode 1 for doing two pro-biden episodes. i wonder whats different about chapo :rolleyes:

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

"This is Joe Biden telling you to vote for Donald Tr- oh, man I'm sorry I shouldn't have said that."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It would be very, very funny if they did bend the knee.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Pirate Jet posted:

hey who are the people in here who are still watching cody Johnston

my question is: why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAyljtELZ8k

crazy take: convincing liberals that Biden still sucks even if he wins and that none of the horrible poo poo we're experiencing under trump is just going to magically disappear under Biden is probably the most constructive thing he could be doing with his platform. Insofar as we're actually able to convince them of this. I found it interesting that on his podcast Johnston straight says that he got a lot more pushback from Biden people for this video than the left - if I had to narrow down a reason why it's probably because the tacit admission that he's voting for Biden defused all of their go-to "are you just going to vote for Trump then?" responses and they're not being allowed to be snide on their own terms.

If we take it on faith that Matt Christman is right that a single vote is devoid of morality or meaning (and I generally do), telling fencesitters "I voted for Biden and here's why he's bad and why we still need to put in work" is probably more compelling than telling them you wrote in Bernie or something. Like I'm not going to vote for Biden but when I engage libs about why he's bad I allow them to assume I am and they're a lot more open to my arguments.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Hunter S. Thompson posted:

With the possible exception of things like box scores, race results, and stock market tabulations, there is no such thing as Objective Journalism. The phrase itself is a pompous contradiction in terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Deified Data posted:

If we take it on faith that Matt Christman is right that a single vote is devoid of morality or meaning (and I generally do), telling fencesitters "I voted for Biden and here's why he's bad and why we still need to put in work" is probably more compelling than telling them you wrote in Bernie or something. Like I'm not going to vote for Biden but when I engage libs about why he's bad I allow them to assume I am and they're a lot more open to my arguments.
Why are you arguing with them?