Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i wanna hear more about you having to fight raccoons to get at your xmas tchotchkes or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I do have a groundhog digging up the foundations of the back deck but besides that no Man VS Beast stories here.

H110Hawk posted:

It will probably work unless there is some material change or degradation from last winter.

Pictures?

Sorry no pictures, cant get to house easily right now. When you mean material change are you referring to the tarp or roof? The roof will leak if not attended too but its definitely one of those problems where when you start working on it, it will expand exponentially in cost and scale. I dont think I have time to get the whole roof redone by winter.

Side question: Is this the right place to ask about residential water purification? Actual house uses a well and welp we bought cheap land by an old dump so god knows how much mercury and CFC's are still leaking down. Im in the process of getting the water tested but just incase Im planning to have some purification system put in. Last comprehensive water analysis was done in the 80s and everything was present, just in very small amounts. Anyone have directions on where I should go for answers?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 17, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Gaj posted:

I do have a groundhog digging up the foundations of the back deck but besides that no Man VS Beast stories here.

Sorry no pictures, cant get to house easily right now. When you mean material change are you referring to the tarp or roof? The roof will leak if not attended too but its definitely one of those problems where when you start working on it, it will expand exponentially in cost and scale. I dont think I have time to get the whole roof redone by winter.

Side question: Is this the right place to ask about residential water purification? Actual house uses a well and welp we bought cheap land by an old dump so god knows how much mercury and CFC's are still leaking down. Im in the process of getting the water tested but just incase Im planning to have some purification system put in. Last comprehensive water analysis was done in the 80s and everything was present, just in very small amounts. Anyone have directions on where I should go for answers?

Hoo boy... purifying heavy metals ain’t no easy task for a home filtration system. That’s why flint is getting their entire plumbing infrastructure ripped out and replaced, because it’s tough to filter that at the tap.

Whole home filtration is more for stuff like sulfur and chlorine, using activated charcoal to draw out impurities (activated charcoal has a very high surface area which causes poo poo to stick to it). Definitely see what your water test says... this question probably needs a real professional to answer. Viruses and bacteria are super easy to filter, metals not so much. It’s why I can’t treat water backpacking near old mines, because of arsenic and heavy metals runoff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hoo boy... purifying heavy metals ain’t no easy task for a home filtration system. That’s why flint is getting their entire plumbing infrastructure ripped out and replaced, because it’s tough to filter that at the tap.

Whole home filtration is more for stuff like sulfur and chlorine, using activated charcoal to draw out impurities (activated charcoal has a very high surface area which causes poo poo to stick to it). Definitely see what your water test says... this question probably needs a real professional to answer. Viruses and bacteria are super easy to filter, metals not so much. It’s why I can’t treat water backpacking near old mines, because of arsenic and heavy metals runoff.

My sister in law works for the EPA in the water quality division and has for a long time. What I have learned from this is both what you said and 'always email her the water report".

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hi friendly lock dude:

The lowest quality locks are going to be Kwikset, and those are often sold at home depot. Around the same tier is Schlage. Schlage locks are safer than Kwikset, but the build quality is going to be closer to builder grade.

Then you have Baldwin and Emtek. With Baldwin, you should stay away from the non-Reserve and Estate models (as they have been recently trying to pawn off low quality locks at Home Depot). Almost everything Emtek produces is decently high quality.

Beyond that then you have some special designer brands like Ashley Norton where the build quality is outstanding and the locks may be slightly better than Baldwin and Emtek, but nobody will really care as the former two brands already feel luxury and are made out of real brass.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

Ok so I should get the water test processed, possibly twice, and see what heavy metals Im dealing with before I go looking for any purifier systems. If its just chemicals like CFC or teflon than it should be possible to get a system to clean it out?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
After buying a shitton of Honeywell/Jasco Zwave dimmers they + my Lithonia ILED wafers do some really hosed up ringing around 30% and 80-90% brightness. It looks like a rave when I turn everything on.

I guess I’m going to have to throw them out and get Lutron :sigh:

Seriously is there any place I can resell these.

Edit: before I go crazy, are there any additional settings on the Zwave side of things like capping the brightness to 70% or something. I haven’t paired them yet.

Hed fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 18, 2020

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Hed posted:

After buying a shitton of Honeywell/Jasco Zwave dimmers they + my Lithonia ILED wafers do some really hosed up ringing around 30% and 80-90% brightness.

I just RMA'd some z-wave dimmers because they are trash with LEDs. I knew better, but I decided to give it a whirl anyway.

From now on, I'm sticking to my guns: smart switches for LEDs only the relay (click/click) on/off type, no dimmers. For dimmers, I'll bend over and pay the $30 for Lutron Divas.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hed posted:

After buying a shitton of Honeywell/Jasco Zwave dimmers they + my Lithonia ILED wafers do some really hosed up ringing around 30% and 80-90% brightness. It looks like a rave when I turn everything on.

Edit: before I go crazy, are there any additional settings on the Zwave side of things like capping the brightness to 70% or something. I haven’t paired them yet.

Can't return them? Or force an rma?

Otherwise Facebook marketplace.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

So I’m a city boy who’s lived in apartments my entire life, my wife came into some money and we bought a house in Big Bear CA <mountain town>. The house is a meager 900 square feet on a 6000 square lot. We also recently got a 4 month old puppy, so we called up a contractor to get a quote for a fence. Nothing huge, 14 feet from the front of the house to our neighbors fence up front, 34 feet along the back and another 14 to the deck. 6 feet tall cedar with 2 4 foot gates, they quoted us at $6800. The wife then called up her aunt who has lived up here the last 15 years and her handy man husband, he did the math and just material he said 1,600 and we’d just build it ourselves. So my question what’s the best way to dig post holes as the entire property 2 inches down is straight hand sized rocks and I’m going to be the one that has to dig them all out.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This is why you're paying 6800 for a pro. It's not the fencing part it's the difficulty with digging.

Digging through rock sucks I'd recommend renting a trailer hitch mounted auger at minimum so you can get the holes dug.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Deviant posted:

as a child i thought my father was good at household handyman tasks because he and by extension his father had come from an earlier time, before the pervasiveness of computers, etc.

two hours of drywall repair in a quiet room later i realize that people learn these things by failing at them and that the world is held together with good intentions and duct tape.
i don't know why i'm putting that thought here, but there it is.

the point is that the hole in the wall is fixed.

This post hit me. I realized the same thing about my dad not too long ago. He was winging it. I am winging it. We're all winging it.
Glad the wall got fixed.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

he1ixx posted:

This post hit me. I realized the same thing about my dad not too long ago. He was winging it. I am winging it. We're all winging it.
Glad the wall got fixed.
There was some facebook post going around awhile ago about how manly previous generations were, and millennials couldn't fix anything that broke in their house, and it's like... Have you fuckers never hated the previous owner, or owners of your house for some absolute poo poo work you found? They probably weren't millennials.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

he1ixx posted:

Glad the wall got fixed.

Every project I tackle I run into horrible poo poo from 120 years of previous owners. Cumulatively I have probably done more to this house than all of them combined. It warms the cockles of my heart to think that someone will be cursing my name in 120 years :allears:

a sexual elk posted:

So I’m a city boy who’s lived in apartments my entire life, my wife came into some money and we bought a house in Big Bear CA <mountain town>. The house is a meager 900 square feet on a 6000 square lot. We also recently got a 4 month old puppy, so we called up a contractor to get a quote for a fence. Nothing huge, 14 feet from the front of the house to our neighbors fence up front, 34 feet along the back and another 14 to the deck. 6 feet tall cedar with 2 4 foot gates, they quoted us at $6800. The wife then called up her aunt who has lived up here the last 15 years and her handy man husband, he did the math and just material he said 1,600 and we’d just build it ourselves. So my question what’s the best way to dig post holes as the entire property 2 inches down is straight hand sized rocks and I’m going to be the one that has to dig them all out.
I just finished building a privacy fence! Here’s my thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897027&perpage=40&noseen=1

Lessons learned:

Digging holes really sucks. Just pay someone else to do it for you. Eventually managed to get the first 3/4 of holes in with a tow behind auger, but even that wasn’t easy. You need something with upward/downward pressure to clear rocks, bobcat with auger is the answer. Also I planned holes every 8’ but cumulative error of losing an inch on each one meant that six holes in I had to widen everything after.

Sounds like you don’t have a lot to do, so shouldn’t be as hateful as mine was. Just be aware it is hard work, especially digging in debris. I underestimated that greatly, even with multiple auger rentals.

Root Assassin tile shovel + clamshell posthole digger works great in clean soil. Tag team loosening the soil and clearing the hole.

You’ll need fence post levels, and a long level for the top. Post hole foam works awesome instead of messing with quikreke, will probably also make replacement easier when your wood rots out.

Materials shortages with covid suck. Took months to finally get all the materials.

Get your permits, call 811, run your strings, etc. And even when you do everything 100% by the book, expect that the dingus surveying the house two doors down is going to come by, yank up your survey pins because they decided they made a mistake seven years ago, and shift everything over so your fence is now encroaching on your neighbors property and your new driveway is in limbo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hed posted:

Very strange. That's all I use in my house (Honeywell zwave dimmers) and haven't had a problem with multiple different LEDs. Of course I tend to buy things like Soraa bulbs.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Motronic posted:

Very strange. That's all I use in my house (Honeywell zwave dimmers) and haven't had a problem with multiple different LEDs. Of course I tend to buy things like Soraa bulbs.

I also have almost entirely Jasco-based dimmers. Mine are seemingly both bulb- and fixture-specific. I can dim the same LEDs in a lamp but not in whatever mess of an 8-bulb fixture exists in my bathroom. I had to go back to a switch for that circuit because the dimmer made an incredibly loud buzzing noise whenever it was on.

As far as I know you can't set a max/minimum intensity at the hardware level, just the ramp speed for remote/local dimming.

On that note, are there any good no-neutral wire Z-wave dimmers? I have one that functions (Innovelli I think) but it is weirdly slow to respond to either remote or local control and the dimming is not at all smooth.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Every project I tackle I run into horrible poo poo from 120 years of previous owners. Cumulatively I have probably done more to this house than all of them combined. It warms the cockles of my heart to think that someone will be cursing my name in 120 years :allears:

Me, every time I fix something in my house.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got this unsolicited email from a person who rents out their condo in my building. there are also 11 townhomes rented, and the association had not been following the governing documents which stated that this wasn't actually allowed. So now due to some pressure from homeowners who actually lived here and asked the board to enforce it's owning governing documents, they hired a property law lawyer who unsurprisingly said "you have to follow the rules, even if people have ignored them until now." they are giving them until late next year before the fines start - there's no retroactive punishment. i basically told her to gently caress off haha

My favorite part is probably "oh no there will be many vacant units" when this is literally the best time to sell a home in the history of the twin cities (the median home price a few months ago just hit 300k, which is a record).

quote:

We hope this email finds you healthy and staying safe during this pandemic.

We are writing to you with our strong concerns about the approach, transparency, and management of many governance elements at xxx and more specifically the handling of the recent leasing enforcement/change.

Let us introduce ourselves. xxxhas owned a home and lived on xxx over 30 years. As xxx (who lives in xxx) was thinking about retirement we decided it would be nice to own a condo at xxx for xxx as it was near xxx.

This area has a deep meaning to Susan as she was the President of (removed) and lead the work to have the xxx clean-up done. This allowed xxx to be built and the addition of the condos and townhomes has been a plus to the neighborhood.

We provide this background, so you understand we are owners for the long term; care greatly about the area and have deep roots there. However, in the interim before xxx retires, we purchased a condo and were approved for leasing.

Then suddenly this year, without any outreach to those owners who are leasing, without any information to all homeowners on whether these leased units were a problem the Board unilaterally decided to start to enforce the governance document they had ignored for years. Why now? Further, they voted to start to fine those of us who own leased units. This was done without a vote from the membership.

Coupled with this, the decisions were made in basically closed meetings – most especially the Annual Meeting. Although requested, the board refused to accommodate people who could not or did not want to attend this meeting in person. There was no time allowed for discussion of the leasing change. We are all homeowners and at the very least should have the opportunity to raise any issue we want at the Annual Meeting.

This raises questions about what decisions the Board may decide to make in the future without input or outreach. It also raises the question on why the Board decided to target owners who lease. We wonder if this is discrimination of some type.

We are addressing this letter to all xxx homeowners because it WILL affect everyone. Specifically, when all these leased units (22% of the units) are forced to go on the market at the same time in a year it will depress the market value for all units for years to come. It will also create a large vacancy of units which is always detrimental to a complex.

So, what is the action we request? We would like to have the Board provide an open meeting where this issue can be discussed among ALL owners.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 19, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gaj posted:

I meant "what has changed since last winter" not materials like wood or vinyl or whatever. I realize how that was a confusing way to write it now, oops. Unless the thing looks like it's about to collapse or has degraded severely in the past 12 months I would just tarp it.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Oh, the only thing that has changed is now massive leaking, and the bungalow itself is filled with family memorabilia. I think Imma just go with tarp because the bungalow itself is such a loving shitfuck wreck.

The foundation is just cinderblocks mortared directly to the bedrock, no prepping.
The crawlspace pools water since again, not a real foundation.
Theres no moisture barrier.
The house has been hit by a backhoe, and a car so its slooowly falling apart.

Fun side story. The bungalow is such a poo poo shack that the lighting in the kitchen can only be turned on via code. As in to turn on all lights via 6 switches you need to flip 1,2,3,5,1,3,6. You can turn on the lights connected to switch 4 using other switches.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 20, 2020

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Gaj posted:

Oh, the only thing that has changed is now massive leaking, and the bungalow itself is filled with family memorabilia. I think Imma just go with tarp because the bungalow itself is such a loving shitfuck wreck.

The foundation is just cinderblocks mortared directly to the bedrock, no prepping.
The crawlspace pools water since again, not a real foundation.
Theres no moisture barrier.
The house has been hit by a backhoe, and a car so its slooowly falling apart.

Fun side story. The bungalow is such a poo poo shack that the lighting in the kitchen can only be turned on via code. As in to turn on all lights via 6 switches you need to flip 1,2,3,5,1,3,6. You can turn on the lights connected to switch 4 using other switches.

I think your problem is that this isn’t a bungalow, its 90s cd adventure game

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gaj posted:

This is amazing. Someone doesn't know what 3 or 4 way switches are when they were installing.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Only the finest Ukrainian handymen and DIY work ethic went into it. Oh that kitchen? Its an extension that was ADDED by my family when they bought it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gaj posted:

Only the finest Ukrainian handymen and DIY work ethic went into it. Oh that kitchen? Its an extension that was ADDED by my family when they bought it.

You wouldn't be interested in pulling the cover off or anything and taking a picture of the insides would you? You know, for :science:

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Once I can confirm the existence of a circuit break, yeah sure.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

PCjr sidecar posted:

I think your problem is that this isn’t a bungalow, its 90s cd adventure game

If you need to turn this into a profitable venture, don't rent it out on AirBNB. Instead, rent it out as a puzzle room.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

And yall think Japan is weird for bulldozing old trash labyrinth houses and rebuilding new…

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I've never owned a home with a working fireplace before. How mandatory are fire log racks? I don't plan on storing firewood long term, and will probably burn it a handful of times. Can I get away with just laying down some tarp on the garage or something?

I know termites are a huge concern, but I have termite traps around the perimeter of the house.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

bulldoze your thirteen-ghosts-rear end-house

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Had a home warranty until Saturday. Today my furnace isn't working. Dammit.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bioshuffle posted:

I've never owned a home with a working fireplace before. How mandatory are fire log racks? I don't plan on storing firewood long term, and will probably burn it a handful of times. Can I get away with just laying down some tarp on the garage or something?

I know termites are a huge concern, but I have termite traps around the perimeter of the house.

Get it up off the ground. Termites can and do chew through concrete.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i have learned of a creature more terrifying than previous owner.

previous owner's wife.

also i think the bathtub clog i just pulled out called me a racial slur.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Are there any blogs or anything that talk about sprucing up older cookie-cutter suburban houses?

There's lots of houses like this in my area and they're all ugly but affordable:

Someone must have good ideas to make them look interesting if not attractive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I really don't think there's any way to make a 70s split level attractive because it's basic shape screams "70s tract house".

Also, part of their affordability stems not only from their ugliness but the fact that they are just worn out. I bet there's not a single room you could walk through in any of them where the floor doesn't squeak, and probably half of them actually bounce.

They're not quite old enough to expect that they've been fully remodeled and certainly not had an electrical service upgrade, so you're looking at a bunch of worn out poo poo and a stab-loc panel with 60 or 100 amp service.

In general, you're looking at pretty ugly, dated floor plan (that can't be fixed without a bulldozer), worn out, near end of life everything. If that doesn't bother you and you pay an appropriate price that could be a good deal on a house. But don't buy one for what you think you can turn it into. Because they're not worth enough to gut and remodel (you're better off knocking it down and building new) so they're always gonna be what they're gonna be.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
And 2 wires to every ceiling fan with no realistic way to fish a new 3 wire romex through.

Thank god for remote controlled ceiling fans.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Motronic posted:

Also, part of their affordability stems not only from their ugliness but the fact that they are just worn out. I bet there's not a single room you could walk through in any of them where the floor doesn't squeak, and probably half of them actually bounce.
Maybe a dumb question but how does a formerly sturdy floor come to be bouncy over time? I understand why it might sag but how does that turn in to flex & bounce.

Motronic posted:

In general, you're looking at pretty ugly, dated floor plan (that can't be fixed without a bulldozer), worn out, near end of life everything. If that doesn't bother you and you pay an appropriate price that could be a good deal on a house. But don't buy one for what you think you can turn it into. Because they're not worth enough to gut and remodel (you're better off knocking it down and building new) so they're always gonna be what they're gonna be.
It's relative I guess. In my area, for the size we need, it's all very old houses (like 1930s or earlier), 1970s/1980s suburbia, or these awful new builds that commit the two cardinal sins of open concept living & wood foundations. I'd sooner take the dated floorplan of a 1978 tract house than a combined living room/dining room/kitchen in a rancher.

Some of the old houses are nice, either renovated or priced low enough justify mortgaging renos. But there aren't many and you pay a big premium if you don't want to be in the rougher neighborhoods.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 20, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

unlimited shrimp posted:

Are there any blogs or anything that talk about sprucing up older cookie-cutter suburban houses?

There's lots of houses like this in my area and they're all ugly but affordable:

Someone must have good ideas to make them look interesting if not attractive.

New modern color palette, paint, roof, fixtures, door/door color, windows, region-appropriate landscaping, window boxes, brick paint or whitewash, garage door, gable vents, etc all go a LONG way with these things. You'll never remove the look of what they are unless you strip it down to sheathing and install a new facade entirely, but they can be updated and cleaned up and painted to look ok for what they are.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

unlimited shrimp posted:

Maybe a dumb question but how does a formerly sturdy floor come to be bouncy over time? I understand why it might sag but how does that turn in to flex & bounce.

Because they weren't all that sturdy to begin with, and relied on the subfloor being properly attached to the joists. The best way to do this well these days is "glued and screwed" - construction adhesive plus epoxy coated screws. What they did back then were use plain or maybe galvanized nails, maybe ring shank if you were lucky, and not all that many of them. So they've loosened and/or corroded over time, the subfloor is no longer properly attached, and the joists haven't been kept from racking for a long time, causing other damage including how they are attached to the ledger - or possibly you just have one or more of them cracked because of the lovely fast growth pine they used in those places back in the day.

So again, it's just a bunch of worn out poo poo.

These places, like most tract houses ever and to this day, are built with the least amount of the cheapest material possible to make it thought the building inspection/certificate of occupancy and the state mandated warranty period. Is should be absolutely zero surprise that homes constructed this way are approaching teardown level problems at 50 years old.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 20, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you're lucky it's on a slab, which means the first floor doesn't have anywhere to bounce. Hopefully.

If you don't have an HOA go hog wild.

This isn't to say that they aren't houses with fine bones, but expect a lot of stuff to be aging out - both in look and function. Kinda like how 1940/50's houses all need new pipes, these houses are coming up on that too. Same with the electric system. They might still have an old tank-like HVAC system that is so inefficient that it actually pays off to replace them with modern stuff in a short period of time.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Motronic posted:

Because they weren't all that sturdy to begin with, and relied on the subfloor being properly attached to the joists. The best way to do this well these days is "glued and screwed" - construction adhesive plus epoxy coated screws. What they did back then were use plain or maybe galvanized nails, maybe ring shank if you were lucky, and not all that many of them. So they've loosened and/or corroded over time, the subfloor is no longer properly attached, and the joists haven't been kept from racking for a long time, causing other damage including how they are attached to the ledger - or possibly you just have one or more of them cracked because of the lovely fast growth pine they used in those places back in the day.

So again, it's just a bunch of worn out poo poo.

These places, like most tract houses ever and to this day, are built with the least amount of the cheapest material possible to make it thought the building inspection/certificate of occupancy and the state mandated warranty period. Is should be absolutely zero surprise that homes constructed this way are approaching teardown level problems at 50 years old.

Cool, thanks for the info.