Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

lol va-11 hall-a is a text-based game with minimal visuals and no sexualized depictions of any of the characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

For years I have craved a space or plane game that combined easy, semi arcadey 3D action with light strategy elements and/or a dynamic campaign. Warplanes: WW2 Dogfight is not that. It's not even the diet coke of that. It's the coke with ice that's been drank and now the ice has melted and the water is lightly brown and has the ghost of the memory of the soda left in it.

But it is, something. You hire and train pilots, build and upgrade planes, build home base defenses and facilities, take random missions, send out your squadron, and control one of the planes while your AI pilots somewhat competently control the others. The action is not particularly good, it's more rogue squadrony than I'd like, but it is decent enough.

If you get shot down or crash, this instantly ends the mission, despite the fact that you are allowed to switch planes mid-air at any time, because for some reason if the plane you are flying dies you lose. Losing damages planes and injures pilots, which require time and money to repair, and the game has a surprisingly tight economy for how casual it is. Planes can also become too damaged just from combat to be used again without repairs. This is largely the difficulty of the game, sometimes it feels like spinning plates running missions to get funds to repair planes to run missions to get a different type of currency to unlock more planes.

So, Warplanes: WW2 Dogfight, a somewhat decent cheap game that almost scratches a very very specific itch.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Regy Rusty posted:

Absolutely it would be, and it would be an even more phenomenal cooperative game. Being able to bounce ideas and make deductions together would be so much fun.

Yeah, I think so too, and it’s also why I brought up Outer Wilds. I watched Joseph Anderson stream it and it was surprisingly fun to watch someone else (who happened to be attentive and clever, and was surprisingly very quick to figure things out), since the game doesn’t really have much/any replay value but I can imagine playing it with someone else would be great, and the whole uh, central idea or premise with the game lends itself well to taking turns playing.

I don’t know about the Baba is You/Obra Dinn comparison, but I guess they’re sort of similar in the way you approach the puzzles, I guess? In a very nebulous way, but either way it’s really good and I’m already liking it more than Obra Dinn which is surprising, as I love the look and feel of Obra Dinn but I’m not that into basic 2D art in games, but it works really well for Baba is You. I already posted a few days ago about how much I’m enjoying Baba is You, but holy poo poo what a genius game. I’m really dumb and only played a couple levels when I bought it and then didn’t touch it for months, but in a way it’s fortunate because there haven’t been too many games out recently that I’ve felt like playing so I’m glad, and surprised that I’m enjoying it so much.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
We need some new info about Bravely Default 2 and the new DQM game.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Moon is another game I'd put in the same discussion as Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

i demand new pokemon snap news

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Nep-Nep posted:

If you want to do some amount of bartending in a cyberpunk universe play The Red Strings club instead.

Word. The Red Strings Club has a good story and neat game mechanic that has your drink making tie into your ability to question people. I like anime, but VA-11 Hall-A was some cringey poo poo and the child sex bot thing is just loving indefensible no matter how much in-game world building you try to wrap around it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

i demand new pokemon snap news

So disappointed this isn't a hubworld + stages Monster Hunter-but-with-a-camera game

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there an actual market for Ring Fit Adventure, but just the game itself? I was able to get a Japanese digital code for the game awhile ago and would prefer to just have it digitally anyway. But that means I'm without the grips and the Ring-Con. I can buy a 3rd party version of the Ring Con for $40 and grips for like $10, but then it rests me at $50 when the whole package costs $80. If I could sell Ring Fit Adventure, just the game, for even half its MSRP, I'd be spending less and have the actual accessories.

I can't even imagine the scenario someone would have to be in to want the game just by itself.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Okay, I need some help here.

I have two Nintendo Switch Docks. One that came with my launch Switch, and the other I bought separately later. The one that I bought later works fine, it's the original dock that is not working right.

Basically... the dock works intermittently.
-Sometimes you dock the switch and it works perfectly, other times it shows no video signal.
-Sometimes unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable fixes it, sometimes it does not.
-Sometimes restarting the Switch fixes it, sometimes it does not.
-Sometimes it will work just fine, I leave the switch docked and power it off. Power the Switch back on and it doesn't connect to the TV.
-The dock is plugged into an TCL 6 Series TV (not sure if this matters)

I have swapped HDMI cables and video input sources on my TV. Thinking about it, I guess I haven't tried swapping out the two docks to see if it's the TV messing things up somehow. I also haven't tried swapping the power adapters either, but they are both official Nintendo adapters. Once again, the second dock I have on another TV works fine.

The broken dock does charge the Switch when it is docked. I also have a Power A Joycon Charging Dock plugged into the USB port, but that being plugged in or not doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any ideas?
Yeahhh...try switching the docks. Some TVs don't like how the Switch works for whatever reason, the TCL might be having weirdness there. If it's relatively new enough (within however many years old) see if it has a firmware update, I remember a few companies updated their TVs after the Switch came out to deal with the funkiness. Besides that, the only thing I can think of to play with is the "connected TV power state" setting on the Switch, and/or the TV's HDMI-CEC setting. But basically your problems sound like general TV not liking the Switch funkiness.

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Are third-party switch docks still universally terrible? Sometimes I gotta take my Ring Fit activities into another room if my wife needs the living room for a work call or whatever. It's not the worst thing in the world to unplug everything, but it's less than ideal.
I haven't heard anything bad about that one Skull n Co one, Genki one is supposedly fine but haven't seen much about it besides their engineer/promo stuff, and I think the Best Buy ones have been ok?

Or just get a refurb official dock and power adapter.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I kinda wish there was a demo for Hades available, so if I could see if I liked the combat before buying it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Do you have a laptop or desktop where you can buy and refund the Steam version? It's not gonna be the same without the actual switch controls, but it'll give you a rough idea if nothing else.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I wish the end of Mario 35 was faster. 8-10 people seem to know how to last a very long time every time and it's just too much of a lull.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Black Griffon posted:

Do you have a laptop or desktop where you can buy and refund the Steam version? It's not gonna be the same without the actual switch controls, but it'll give you a rough idea if nothing else.

I think the Pro controller is compatible with Steam now, and if not you can use any other game pad.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Rocket Pan posted:

Extra fresh because I only just now got the email confirming the final regions:
https://twitter.com/Rocket_Pan_/status/1318359969931030529

This game looks really cool and I'd never heard of it, thanks.

I had Valhalla on my wish-list, but after the past couple of pages I'm taking it off. I read a review or two and don't recall that stuff even being mentioned? Is it like a one-off line or actually a major part of the game?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

I had Valhalla on my wish-list, but after the past couple of pages I'm taking it off. I read a review or two and don't recall that stuff even being mentioned? Is it like a one-off line or actually a major part of the game?

I heard the writing is pretty bad anyways. Follow your gut instinct.

I remember first playing Strife off a pc gamer demo disc back in the day. Really cool what was pulled off on the Doom engine and happy to see it hasn’t been forgotten.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fly Ricky posted:

She's a fairly major character. By the way her model number starts with DFC, and is probably named after the girl in Lolita, just incase you thought the game by channers was trying to be sly at all.

e: also the game is insanely badly written even disregarding the entire Dorothy thing

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Thanks y'all. Glad this came up before I purchased it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

She's a fairly major character. By the way her model number starts with DFC, and is probably named after the girl in Lolita, just incase you thought the game by channers was trying to be sly at all.

e: also the game is insanely badly written even disregarding the entire Dorothy thing

Wasn't the girl in Lolita called Dolores?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RandomFerret posted:

Moon is another game I'd put in the same discussion as Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds

Difference is that while Moon is an interesting and unique game in the same way Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds are....it's not a very fun one. I dunno, I guess that may just be me, I caught/helped(?) maybe 15 spirits or so before deciding to put it down. The slow walking pace, utter aimlessness (would really like an entry in the journal if I find a spirit but don't catch it, is that in the game? Don't remember), the dying by staying out too long (even after getting a bunch of love levels), lack of a map, and complete lack of any kind of hints or anything for spirits - often the spirit description is completely useless...it's just not very good. Interesting as hell, the art style is neat and the concept in general is something I'd like to see explored in a better game.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Release Shufflepuck Cafe on Switch imo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
LOOM on Switch when!?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Morpheus posted:

Difference is that while Moon is an interesting and unique game in the same way Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds are....it's not a very fun one. I dunno, I guess that may just be me, I caught/helped(?) maybe 15 spirits or so before deciding to put it down. The slow walking pace, utter aimlessness (would really like an entry in the journal if I find a spirit but don't catch it, is that in the game? Don't remember), the dying by staying out too long (even after getting a bunch of love levels), lack of a map, and complete lack of any kind of hints or anything for spirits - often the spirit description is completely useless...it's just not very good. Interesting as hell, the art style is neat and the concept in general is something I'd like to see explored in a better game.

Undertale is already Moon but fun to play that's why Moon should be left as it is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

DFC is “delicious flat chest” in case anyone was wondering (I’m sorry I learned this and I’m sorry for you now too)

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The Chad Jihad posted:

For years I have craved a space or plane game that combined easy, semi arcadey 3D action with light strategy elements and/or a dynamic campaign. Warplanes: WW2 Dogfight is not that. It's not even the diet coke of that. It's the coke with ice that's been drank and now the ice has melted and the water is lightly brown and has the ghost of the memory of the soda left in it.

But it is, something. You hire and train pilots, build and upgrade planes, build home base defenses and facilities, take random missions, send out your squadron, and control one of the planes while your AI pilots somewhat competently control the others. The action is not particularly good, it's more rogue squadrony than I'd like, but it is decent enough.

If you get shot down or crash, this instantly ends the mission, despite the fact that you are allowed to switch planes mid-air at any time, because for some reason if the plane you are flying dies you lose. Losing damages planes and injures pilots, which require time and money to repair, and the game has a surprisingly tight economy for how casual it is. Planes can also become too damaged just from combat to be used again without repairs. This is largely the difficulty of the game, sometimes it feels like spinning plates running missions to get funds to repair planes to run missions to get a different type of currency to unlock more planes.

So, Warplanes: WW2 Dogfight, a somewhat decent cheap game that almost scratches a very very specific itch.

You should be playing Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I bought civ 6 on super sale. excited to move my little mans around the board and build pyramids.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Weird question: I'm finally replaying Mario bros 1 for the first time in years - can I not get a higher bounce off of enemies by pressing the button as I land on them, like all the other entries? Was this an addition to later entries or am I just butchering the timing?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fallom posted:

DFC is “delicious flat chest” in case anyone was wondering (I’m sorry I learned this and I’m sorry for you now too)

:stonk:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Narcissus1916 posted:

Weird question: I'm finally replaying Mario bros 1 for the first time in years - can I not get a higher bounce off of enemies by pressing the button as I land on them, like all the other entries? Was this an addition to later entries or am I just butchering the timing?

It's more about holding the button before you land on it

Always Be Holding B

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Actually iirc you cant bounce high off enemies in original SMB

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sudden Javelin posted:

I think it was added in The Lost Levels/smb2 Japan.

Guessing they added it to 35 so getting past a wall of enemies would be less bullshit.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Narcissus1916 posted:

Nope, not in the original. You can in SMB35 though

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This is the most insane clip I've seen from Super Mario Bros. 35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugHeB9g2MNw

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fallom posted:

my day has not been improved by this information

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Holy gently caress stop posting about the pedo game

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Poque posted:

Holy gently caress stop posting about the pedo game

SMB 35?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mario does have a delicious flat chest. Completely 2 dimensional

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

Lack-I-too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sudden Javelin posted:

Yeah that wasn't a feature until SMB2/Lost Levels. They changed it so Mario can do it in SMB35 since getting past a conga line of enemies would be miserable without it

Astro7x posted:

I've started avoiding targeting attackers because it leads to situations like this where the enemies you send are just getting multiplied and then sent right back at you recursively until it becomes too much to handle

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 20, 2020