Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Got a copy of the "Good Deeds Gone Unpunished" prequel book recently. Great stories in it, strongly recommend giving it a read. A lot of the interesting stuff about it would spoil a lot of the fun so I'm going to avoid saying anything specific about any of them, but the O-Chul story in particular is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ultrafilter posted:

Take a look at 1150 again. The part at the end where Durkon calls out the rest of the party feels like just an end-of-strip joke, but before he got vamped there's no way Durkon would've done that. He was always completely passive and just supporting the rest of the group, but I'm taking this as an early sign that he's prepared to be forceful now when appropriate. And since he has direct orders from Thor, there will be a lot of appropriate moments.

1150 is a really good. I particularly love the panel where it pulls out to reveal the entire Order is standing there, waiting to roll initiative and kick Hilgya's rear end.

And she just does. not. care.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ConfusedUs posted:

1150 is a really good. I particularly love the panel where it pulls out to reveal the entire Order is standing there, waiting to roll initiative and kick Hilgya's rear end.

And she just does. not. care.

The best part is that they've been standing like that for ten minutes, waiting for her to finish resurrecting him again. Poor Roy, holding up that heavy-rear end sword while she casts.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The best part is that they've been standing like that for ten minutes, waiting for her to finish resurrecting him again. Poor Roy, holding up that heavy-rear end sword while she casts.

Bah, pick a muscle class, get a muscle task

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnny Aztec posted:

How does the Fireball do damage, if it somehow doesnt even knock over glasses, or set Exploding barrels on fire?

I mean...obviously the answer is "Magic" but

Fireball is literally just a ball of fire that expands to hit the AoE without concussive force iirc.

So... Magic.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Fire can do damage without being concussive, and a concussive explosion doesn't need to be firey. Hollywood has lied to you.

A lot of clarifications about spells sound like they're Wizards of the Coast yelling "stop having fun" at players constructing weird magical nonsense out of default spells, although I wonder if that specifically was some rear end in a top hat arguing that fireball is an explosion and therefore exempt from protection from fire.

I wonder if there's a roleplay system where players have to construct spells from scratch out of base elements, because I've seen online a lot of people who want to do complex things with creative uses of spells and real-world physics, and D&D seems not intended for that form of gameplay.

Yeah but the damage catching on fire does is way lower than the damage being hit by a Fireball does.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cargohills posted:

Got a copy of the "Good Deeds Gone Unpunished" prequel book recently. Great stories in it, strongly recommend giving it a read. A lot of the interesting stuff about it would spoil a lot of the fun so I'm going to avoid saying anything specific about any of them, but the O-Chul story in particular is excellent.

I wish they'd print more copies of it. I'm sure it'll come back around eventually, but I don't want to wait (or buy twice and I definitely want a physical copy).

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I think I wore a tshirt of this as a teen

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

:siren: that's an update btw

Durkon is still Durkon. :shobon:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Honestly? The whole thing went a lot better than expected.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oona is a surprisingly useful member of Team Evil, right now, even when she isn't riding a sonic burst flying dinosaur or whatever it is.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oona is a surprisingly useful member of Team Evil, right now, even when she isn't riding a sonic burst flying dinosaur or whatever it is.

Oh come on, you don't know an ythrak on sight?

(I have never written or played an encounter with an ythrack, I don't know why I know it off the top of my head like that, but I'd guess I spent enough time pooring over MM1 to know all of the things in it)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oona and Greyview are very competent. Happy Nihilist and Glum Nihilist.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
If only Durkon had prepared "Summon Doggy Treats" that day

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

ikanreed posted:

Oh come on, you don't know an ythrak on sight?

(I have never written or played an encounter with an ythrack, I don't know why I know it off the top of my head like that, but I'd guess I spent enough time pooring over MM1 to know all of the things in it)

The reason you remember it is because the ythrack is amazing and one of the best designs in MM1, hands down.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

paradoxGentleman posted:

The reason you remember it is because the ythrack is amazing and one of the best designs in MM1, hands down.

This is cloaker erasure.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The look on that wolf's face was loving incredible. Made me crack up.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Given that silence was specifically cast on the wolf, it seems like we're going to see some "Timmy is in a well" pantomime. Either that or Zykon has a silent dispel.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

wdarkk posted:

Given that silence was specifically cast on the wolf, it seems like we're going to see some "Timmy is in a well" pantomime. Either that or Zykon has a silent dispel.

He's a sorcerer, as long as he took silent spell at all, he's set.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

ikanreed posted:

Do you think Xykon is the type to take silent anything?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ikanreed posted:

Or just stand whatever the radius of a silence spell is away and cast dispel magic. Pretty sure it's range is farther.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Xykon might have silent dispel, but he'd probably still do the charades just because he'd find it funny.

I'm kind of curious if this is just a gag set up or if it'll matter; my gut says it's solely for the joke when Greyview gets to Team Evil (or Teavil as I like to call them) since all the things that are interesting to get out of this scene are in place and resuming the chase scene like it was Scooby-Doo doesn't add a whole lot. But who knows?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Random Stranger posted:

Xykon might have silent dispel, but he'd probably still do the charades just because he'd find it funny.

I'm kind of curious if this is just a gag set up or if it'll matter; my gut says it's solely for the joke when Greyview gets to Team Evil (or Teavil as I like to call them) since all the things that are interesting to get out of this scene are in place and resuming the chase scene like it was Scooby-Doo doesn't add a whole lot. But who knows?

Honestly, what I'm hoping for is that:

A) The dungeon is still full of monsters.

B) Team Evil is busy fighting some monsters.

C) Greyview running in Silenced blows a couple of spells for team Evil and makes the fight that much harder.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oona is an animal handler -- she can probably tell that Greyview is in distress without him actually saying anything. Still, the charades thing would be funny.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oona is an animal handler -- she can probably tell that Greyview is in distress without him actually saying anything. Still, the charades thing would be funny.

It's not clear she listens to what he says anyways

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yea, the fact that the Silence is centered on the wolf is going to come up next time we see him and probably be amusing.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
"Sklum"?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Can't help but feel like Xykon is gonna be staring right at the gate like five feet into the dungeon proper and he's not gonna give one hoot about the clerics.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yea, the fact that the Silence is centered on the wolf is going to come up next time we see him and probably be amusing.

Team evil in the middle of a really hard encounter and wolf runs in as theyre trying to cast their spells.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Team evil in the middle of a really hard encounter and wolf runs in as theyre trying to cast their spells.

Or he realises in time and has to keep 20’ away while team evil yell at him to get off his lazy butt and come help.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Calling it now: Xykon really is just a sub-boss and gets crunched by the monsters thanks to the Silence. Roy and co have to face off against some other villain or thing to save the world.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel like too much has been built up about Xykon for him to get crunched, I imagine him being crunched in a more satisfying way.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I mean, he is a lich. He can be crunched just fine. He'll get better.

Except that would then expose Redcloak's deception WRT his phylactery.

X believes his soul-hidey-place is at the center of that Astral Plane fortress X built. When it is actually still hanging around Redcloak's neck.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I wonder if it still is... After all, that's where the heroes believe the Phylactery is, and where Xykon would think to look for it if he twigged to the deception. Redcloak did come up with the "One of these three skeletons is Xykon" gambit, after all.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 20, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Durkon only knows that Xykon has an astral fortress because Thor told him. None of the heroes know that the phylactery is there, and Redcloak doesn't know that Durkon knows about the fortress.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Johnny Aztec posted:

I mean, he is a lich. He can be crunched just fine. He'll get better.

Except that would then expose Redcloak's deception WRT his phylactery.

X believes his soul-hidey-place is at the center of that Astral Plane fortress X built. When it is actually still hanging around Redcloak's neck.

I think at this point Redcloak's only out of that situation is to break the phylactery. If he doesn't then Xykon is going to go straight to Gobbotopia and start blasting out of sheer rage.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So I'm wondering about that Superb Dispelling that Xykon declined to use earlier in this encounter.

He probably won't use it on Greyview, but if the Order shows up he's definitely going to switch all their magical effects off. There's precedent in the comic too (Durkula's coven shutting down the party with Dispel).

But what would Superb do that a barrage of regular/greater Dispels couldn't do? It's going to have to do something otherwise there's no real narrative reason for Xykon to have it (at least, compared to just regularly dispelling) and have this Chekhov's gun primed in this encounter.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SKULL.GIF posted:

So I'm wondering about that Superb Dispelling that Xykon declined to use earlier in this encounter.

He probably won't use it on Greyview, but if the Order shows up he's definitely going to switch all their magical effects off. There's precedent in the comic too (Durkula's coven shutting down the party with Dispel).

But what would Superb do that a barrage of regular/greater Dispels couldn't do? It's going to have to do something otherwise there's no real narrative reason for Xykon to have it (at least, compared to just regularly dispelling) and have this Chekhov's gun primed in this encounter.

It has a +40 to the dispel roll. The target you have to hit is 11 + the spell caster's level, so it gives him a really, really good chance of dispelling anything. Cf. regular dispel at +10 and greater dispel at +20.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Shugojin posted:

I think at this point Redcloak's only out of that situation is to break the phylactery. If he doesn't then Xykon is going to go straight to Gobbotopia and start blasting out of sheer rage.

Breaking the Phylactery doesn't kill Xykon, though. If Xykon's soul isn't currently in the phylactery, all breaking it does is destroy your bargaining chip.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It has a +40 to the dispel roll. The target you have to hit is 11 + the spell caster's level, so it gives him a really, really good chance of dispelling anything. Cf. regular dispel at +10 and greater dispel at +20.

Right. Is there a hitherto-existing magical effect that requires that much of a boost to the roll to dispel? I can't think of anything and using it to switch off Durkon's Mass Death Ward seems too simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He already used it to completely trounce Darth Suvius. I’m not versed in the specifics of soul splices or dispelling magic, but if any of those spells used the splice’s caster level, a non-epic dispel probably wouldn’t have shut down every single one of their protections in one round.

Also, nobody quite knows how Xykon’s astral fortress will come into play, since the phylactery isn’t actually there, but what if its role is entirely unrelated to that? It could be that the Fiends are aware of it and are gearing up there, or even that our mystery invisible kidnappers are there with the paladins right now.