Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Scarodactyl posted:

I went back to the same trail. Definitely leaning towards at least some of them being chanterelles. Even if I were confident enough in the ID this is too popular a trail with dogwalkers to eat any even if they were bigger.
Just go back in the woods a ways. I'm sure they're all over. The first 4 are cinnabars. That last one looks like a chant, but I'd wait to see it grown to judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hiking up our usual trail on Lime Ridge in Contra Costa County, CA.

On Friday, first time we've been up in weeks due to smoke:

And then back again on Tuesday:

Chicken of the woods! Verified by our mycologist friend. We took two paddles, gave one to him and kept one, we tasted a wee bit on tuesday night when we were at a 95% confidence we'd identified it correctly and saved the rest for after he'd had a direct look (he told us over a text that it was definitely chicken of the woods but we wanted him to actually hold it in his hand and verify before we ate any significant quantity).

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nice! That looks good and fresh, how do you like it?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mmm, those look delicious.
Went back to the trail. Orange seems to be a popular color.

There were still some chanterelles but they still look about the same.
Plus there were a ton of these with wrinkly white caps and tiny black stems

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In case anyone's wondering, I decided to give those beer cans a week to season/have covid killed by UV or whatever and then pack them out, need to bring a bag next time we go up which should be in the next few days. We used to pick up trash on sight whenever we go out into parks and stuff but nowadays it's a biohazard. :negative:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Scarodactyl posted:

Plus there were a ton of these with wrinkly white caps and tiny black stems

That might be Marasmius sp., but I’m not super familiar with those teeny ones

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Marasmius seems right! A few others I saw had the more classic cap shape I'm seeing online.
Went back out, but on a different trail. It just rained so there was a good selection.
Tons of corals! I haven't seen these in a very long time.

An earth star! I've only seen the tiny ones before.

Classic LBM

Two buddies (waxcaps?)

Mushroom's paw curls

I guess these are the fruiting body of those fungus that make little spots on leaves.

Yellow chanterelles?

There were also a few jack-o-lanterns which I had never seen in person before. Insanely orange in person!

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

I’ve never seen this type of coral, it’s beautiful! Looks like it has antlers.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Puffballs are out in NC. Any suggestions for how to cook 'em? I like to cut them into strips and batter them and deep fry them. I'm open to suggestions though.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Dik Hz posted:

Puffballs are out in NC. Any suggestions for how to cook 'em? I like to cut them into strips and batter them and deep fry them. I'm open to suggestions though.

You can bbq them like steaks. Any way you'd treat a slab of meat will probably work. Just make sure it's solid inside!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Dried and powdered puffball works as a kind of seasoning and thickener combo! Just be aware it’s hellishly light and dusty, you’d be best served drying chunks and powdering as needed.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'd slice 'em up and give them some batter before pan frying them, but this works best with fresh ones.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

:spooky::hf::spooky:

Omphalotus illudens/jackolantern

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Have you ever seen them glow in person? That'd be real neat!

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
So what do you guys use for preliminary identification? I had been using picture mushroom but it was just too inaccurate to even give me a decent starting point most of the time. Switched to fungusid.com and that's been better in every way. Any others worth their salt?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Have you ever seen them glow in person? That'd be real neat!

I haven’t yet, I’ve heard it requires a really fresh one and the timing of finding a new flush + not already having a basket full of edibles hasn’t lined up yet

GodspeedSphere posted:

So what do you guys use for preliminary identification? I had been using picture mushroom but it was just too inaccurate to even give me a decent starting point most of the time. Switched to fungusid.com and that's been better in every way. Any others worth their salt?

Old mushroom club members are the best id source :v:

In seriousness though those apps are always going to fall short in a mixture of ways, because mushroom physical traits are frequently pretty variable and because environmental context matters a lot with fungi.

iNaturalist for example has helped me get in the neighborhood a few times but often it’s badly wrong.

If you’re using them to get down to a genus to start keying that’s probably alright, and it’s handy for a guess when a friend took a photo and you don’t have the specimen.

A good regional book and practice keying them out though will give you the savvy to go ‘oh that’s a Hygrophorous’ on your own though :)

the yeti fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 6, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Double post for content:

Nice little haul of Entoloma abortivum

A false caesars mushroom covered in Hypomyces or some other type of mold

Destroying angel I think

Tias
May 25, 2008

GodspeedSphere posted:

I go out with an old, experienced hunter. If I can't, I'll take good photo IDs and consult the largest ID group on facebook in my country.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Went out again, it was a good day for shrooms.

There weren't as many corals on this different path but still a couple.

Normal but still fun shrooms.

Not sure why but nothing says fall to me like these guys.

Spiny puffballs?

There were a trio of these guys. In person it looked like they might have white mold on them but they might just be white.

My favorite find was a big cluster of these green and brown slimy-capped mushrooms.

These looked kind of similar minus the slime and were nearby.

This big weird shroom almost looks like a slime mold--very fleshy appearance and clearly didn't mind growing through plants and pieces of wood.
On my way out I saw what looked like a shiny ball of bronze-colored plastic:

Never seen a mushroom this metallic. Very cool shroom!

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 7, 2020

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
Those slimy green and gold mushrooms are beautiful.

Those puffballs reminded me of an Annulohypoxylon thouarsianum I found in Salt Point SP recently, as well as a this bisected polypore I found in Lassen NP (it was already cut open when I found it, thought it was cool to see the pore tubes in section).

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That shiny rust colored one with the cream leading edge is probably a Ganoderma species

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Saw these today while I was poking around after squirrel.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
turkey tails? choice edible right?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

silicone thrills posted:

turkey tails? choice edible right?
Not edible, but you can a tincture out of them. Some claim medicinal properties, but it hasn't been proven.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Dik Hz posted:

Not edible, but you can a tincture out of them. Some claim medicinal properties, but it hasn't been proven.

Ah People on the PNW mushroom facebook group go nuts about turkey tails so I was thinkin they were like definite good goods.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
What an appropriate name!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

silicone thrills posted:

Ah People on the PNW mushroom facebook group go nuts about turkey tails so I was thinkin they were like definite good goods.

Same with chaga if you see people talking about that.

Tias
May 25, 2008

the yeti posted:

Same with chaga if you see people talking about that.

Friend of mine who lives with HIV swears drinking chaga infusions has finally gotten his liver numbers in the green. I don't know if there's actually studies on it, but medicinal use by humans really goes way back.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tias posted:

Friend of mine who lives with HIV swears drinking chaga infusions has finally gotten his liver numbers in the green. I don't know if there's actually studies on it, but medicinal use by humans really goes way back.

Huh thats fascinating (and excellent for your friend!)

I’ll freely admit to being dismissive because I primarily encounter it either in adverts or alongside turkey tail and other things that ping my medical-magic radar. Ditto Cordyceps.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Oysters! Didn't love how these tasted. Surprisingly bright, not earthy at all.

Still a great find. Probably 5 lbs on the whole log. Only took a little.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Crossposting from the Critterquest thread:

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
I've got a book on some common (or at least notable) UK mushrooms, I thought there was a bunch of Honey Fungus nearby but when I went back to pick them, someone else picked them clean literally the same day/day before. I guess they were Honey Fungus after all. So inspired by that, we looked for mushrooms on a walk today. What're these things? Found in UK woodland, mostly beech trees. I've had some guesses based on the book:

Stump Puffball (Lycoperdon pyriforme)?

Amethyst Deceiver (Laccaria amethystina)?

Sulpfur Tuft (Hypholoma fasciculare)?

No idea, but it's all whiteness makes me think its something bad.

Some kind of polypore?

No idea.

No idea.

ArcticZombie fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 17, 2020

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Went out for a hike and had to just stop keeping an eye out there were so many mushrooms. I'll bring a bag next time

A PERFECT Earth Star.

Lobster? Think so...

Tons of Boletes everywhere. These three fellows were rather close! Wish I knew my boletes better. Need to do some reading there.

No idea! Pretty though.

Chalky looking, these.

A whole village.

Positively erotic polypore.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So crat. tubaeformis (yellowfoot or winter mushroom in the anglosphere, we call them 'funnel chantarelles' in scandinavia) is supposedly all over my forest, going out tomorrow! Wish me luck <3

the yeti posted:

Huh thats fascinating (and excellent for your friend!)

I’ll freely admit to being dismissive because I primarily encounter it either in adverts or alongside turkey tail and other things that ping my medical-magic radar. Ditto Cordyceps.

Me too - on the other hand, use by humans has been consistent for so long that it makes sense that there's something to it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tias posted:

So crat. tubaeformis (yellowfoot or winter mushroom in the anglosphere, we call them 'funnel chantarelles' in scandinavia) is supposedly all over my forest, going out tomorrow! Wish me luck <3

Ooh good hunting, I haven’t found any of those here yet.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Chalky looking, these.

Those look to have mold on them

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

hello shroom thread, i found these in my parent's backyard.
some were slimy, some were not.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Is this where I goon out about my increasingly all-consuming new hobby?

I found some brown shaggy parasol yesterday! ID process and pics behind the link.

https://imgur.com/gallery/MQVgwCU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

bobmarleysghost posted:

hello shroom thread, i found these in my parent's backyard.
some were slimy, some were not.

Could be a fruiting slime mold, maybe. They tend to be a bit gooey even when they try to be solid.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Saw this mushroom the other day, for a second i thought that i was in a alien movie.

Also saw this more "normal" looking one.

Micr0chiP fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Some ones in Bavaria.

Giant Dryad's saddle?

Not sure but lol

There were a ton of these clumps in various states of decay but I couldn't really ID them. Some kind of coprinellus?

Lots of slippery jacks (actually Suillus granulatus)

???

Greatest Living Man fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 20, 2020