Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!

Steak posted:

Most trouble spots have an alternate route but that spot between the garage and tailer store can straight up go gently caress itself. You know the spot. Between the two big rocks. Yeah, that spot. gently caress that spot.

I lost track of the amount of times I got a truck stuck either in the deep snow between the rocks or on the rocks on the side closest to the garage. I used an alternate route around it and/or resorted to having a truck sitting on either side at all times to pull out whatever got stuck at that location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I respect them for putting it in between the trailer store and garage, it was such a gently caress You having to park trailers in the garage yard

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Once the garage opens things get a lot more fun because there’s less risk and punishment when things go bad...

Case in point, I wanted to see how deep the water was off the ice towards the bottom of the map. Turns out it’s just deep enough to fully submerge the cat 745c... fully

Then I was like, I wonder if I can get it back out? Took the Arctic over there, thankfully you can still attach the winch underwater some how, and started pulling.

Tried lots of things... had to keep the big tires on the “sheets” part of the ice to keep traction. Had to drop it into low-low, with diff locked obviously.

Finally got it out after quite some time pulling like this... it was a heck of a rush :)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So I found out this is a game that doesn't seem to pause, even in single player.

I nabbed the game as something I could sort of paw at while working from home, but the fact that there's fuel AND the game is unpausable makes me worried that I might drain myself of fuel while I'm idle/AFK.

Do I have to worry about that, or is fuel only spent from forward motion in this game?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Morter posted:

So I found out this is a game that doesn't seem to pause, even in single player.

I nabbed the game as something I could sort of paw at while working from home, but the fact that there's fuel AND the game is unpausable makes me worried that I might drain myself of fuel while I'm idle/AFK.

Do I have to worry about that, or is fuel only spent from forward motion in this game?

Going to the map/mission/task screen does not pause, but at least on xbox the settings menu will pause the game.

That being said, fuel is spent while idling but at a lower rate. And if you idle for too long your driver will shut the truck off and take a nap.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

On Xbox, there’s a shortcut for stopping the engine:
Hold Left bumper and hit the A button

It’s part of my muscle memory now to shut down the truck before I switch. The driver will only shut it down if you’re far away from the truck, afaik. So if you have a group of trucks together, and you’re working on something for a while, other nearby trucks will idle themselves out of gas if you don’t stop the engine...
ask me how I know

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Jager posted:

I lost track of the amount of times I got a truck stuck either in the deep snow between the rocks or on the rocks on the side closest to the garage. I used an alternate route around it and/or resorted to having a truck sitting on either side at all times to pull out whatever got stuck at that location.

I honestly don't think that trap would be too bad without those boulders on the garage-side. Good luck if you're pulling a trailer in anything less than a heavy. Because of that I just kept a P16 parked on the south end of the trap. It's my ferryman across the river Styx.

I tried the route you highlighted once before but for some reason in my brain I have it that it wasn't much better than the road route. But there is no way that can be right. I'll have to try it again tonight.

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!
The alternate route has its own pitfall so I didn't use it all the time. I never had any issues with trucks or truck towing trailers taking the alt route heading from the trailer yard. The danger is heading from the garage to the trailer park a truck can slide/roll off the rocks into the depressed "road" next to it.

I feel like Snowrunner really rewards the user for exploration because many times the roads, and I generously use that description, are more challenging than cutting across fields or ice.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Morter posted:

time passes in the garage/minimap, but not when you hit the actual pause button.

as for fuel, idling uses far less than driving, but get used to killing the engine when you're stopped and need to plan your route or switch trucks. there's also fuel trailers all over michigan you can refill from, and you unlock fuel tank addons at rank 4-6

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Morter posted:

They actually added a feature to shut the engine off when you are afk for a while. It worked great when they first did it (on PC anyway) but seems flaky right now. Take this with a grain of salt since I'm not 100% sure what happened but I am convinced if you are in single player hit pause then open the codex, that will actually pause the game. I had done it by accident but when I came back my engine was still on but no fuel loss.
Though as others have said I do get in the habit of turning the engine off manually when convenient.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Not sure why it took me so long but I have made the discovery that more axles = better on snow. All those funky many axle trucks that aren't top tier otherwise are great in snow. Never realised the utility of the tartarin because it has such a bad top speed but compared to the speed of other scouts in snow it whips rear end

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

bobbilljim posted:

Not sure why it took me so long but I have made the discovery that more axles = better on snow. All those funky many axle trucks that aren't top tier otherwise are great in snow. Never realised the utility of the tartarin because it has such a bad top speed but compared to the speed of other scouts in snow it whips rear end

then the new western star tri-axle they're adding might interest you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQuILKDGws

I heard they added it for free to ATS too, it's probably some promotional thing since the real 49x came out a week or two ago

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

drat I don't wanna encourage them by buying dlc outside of the season pass but that does look nice....

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Anyone playing this coop? I am playing slowly with some friends but would drop into goon games just to help out and stuff because it's fun and wont ruin the progression.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I was doing star in the sky and the last piece fell through the earth when my truck capsized. had to take a break

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Ouch, that is rough...

I’m finishing up that mission now. When’s new content supposed to drop? Like a real update, not the crappy paid dlc trucks

Like all coop games, I mostly play solo, lol

I love playing with others, but my play time is so sporadic it’s not fair to others :(

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Try some of the mod maps if you're on pc. If not you might be waiting for the next update anyway

https://snowrunner.mod.io/canadian-runner-01-the-town 98 missions

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Do mod maps work in multiplayer?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I'm guessing no.... that or it Just Works so noone has posted about it

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Goddamn I would pay for DLC to add garages to each map, it just makes coop such a slog since you can't just jump in for a short session.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

Goddamn I would pay for DLC to add garages to each map, it just makes coop such a slog since you can't just jump in for a short session.

I want a mobile "garage"

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Gonna say that no garage is good for some maps, having the ability to recover trucks is so OP and its nice to have the challenge of no garage. That said, I think they should have one or two trailer stores or something like rift with a fuel and repair station. I also think you should be able to recover trucks from the map, they could implement this and avoid loading screens going back and forth between maps to get all your trucks back.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yes recovery is OP etc maybe make those maps recover you to the furthest garage or something. But in co-op it sucks to have to drive my rear end across 2 maps. If I have 30 mins to play with friends it sucks all those 30 mins are spent driving to where I gotta go.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

tater_salad posted:

Yes recovery is OP etc maybe make those maps recover you to the furthest garage or something. But in co-op it sucks to have to drive my rear end across 2 maps. If I have 30 mins to play with friends it sucks all those 30 mins are spent driving to where I gotta go.

Tater to be fair usually 20 of those minutes are you driving in the wrong direction or towards the wrong map with concrete blocks instead of a slab.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Tater to be fair usually 20 of those minutes are you driving in the wrong direction or towards the wrong map with concrete blocks instead of a slab.

listen.. I might take the wrong routes to get to where I"m going.. or the out of the way stupid routes.. but I always check the materials.. you have me confused with someone else bub.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
What does "more garages would be bad because recovery is overpowered" even mean in the context of a single player/coop game about big trucks? Who gives a poo poo? If you think few/no garages makes things more challenging then just... don't recover. I don't want to spend a bunch of time driving a repetitive route to get to another map so I can start a mission and do something interesting, that's a pointless time sink in an otherwise fun game.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

That argument can be applied to every aspect of the game. Why have highway tyres? Why have trucks without diff lock or AWD? The entire game is a pointless time sink.

e: That said, I like the unlockable garages as more of a middle ground especially if the map is going to be annoyingly hard. Should be better UI around that though too

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
May as well go all the way and say being alive is a pointless time sink between birth and death if you're going to go that route.

There's clearly a difference between requiring a repetitive task prior to engaging in interesting content and allowing players to make sub-optimal choices.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

just let me fast travel to any zone in/out point once it's been fully watch-tower cleared.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

caedwalla posted:

May as well go all the way and say being alive is a pointless time sink between birth and death if you're going to go that route.

There's clearly a difference between requiring a repetitive task prior to engaging in interesting content and allowing players to make sub-optimal choices.

"I want to do less truck driving in the truck driving game" OK bud

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
adding too many garages would make the game too easy, but I agree there should be one rift style station on every map. trailer stores are pretty much just gas/repair stations where you have to leave a truck parked.

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!
I have noticed in this game's reddit, forum, discord, and even here that there is a really wide scale of how difficult this game should be and related to that, what is difficulty vs what is a time-sink. On one extreme you have "fuel consumption is way too high" and the variety of mods that give the modder's favorite truck tons of HP&toque/low fuel consumption/AWD/locking diff/monster truck wheels to trivialize the missions/terrain, while on the other hand there are people saying "remove the recover option, patch it to remove unlimited fuel by abusing tanker trailers at their store, increase damage etc. Overall I am ok with the amount of "difficulty" and "time-sink" in the game. Adding difficulty/time-sink is easy, just don't use the feature(s) that make the game easier. Based on the user base I don't think they like that answer though because then they cannot brag like they did in Spintires/Mudrunner about completing Deluge, one star, on hardcore.

Regarding the lack of garages on some maps, I think the main issue is that due to the limitations of co-op (clients always have to travel from a garage since their truck locations aren't saved from last session) and the amount of co-op bugs, the game can be really tedious for co-op clients since they have to drive 5-10 minutes just to be able to participate on a map that doesn't have a garage.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Jager posted:

I have noticed in this game's reddit, forum, discord, and even here that there is a really wide scale of how difficult this game should be and related to that, what is difficulty vs what is a time-sink. On one extreme you have "fuel consumption is way too high" and the variety of mods that give the modder's favorite truck tons of HP&toque/low fuel consumption/AWD/locking diff/monster truck wheels to trivialize the missions/terrain, while on the other hand there are people saying "remove the recover option, patch it to remove unlimited fuel by abusing tanker trailers at their store, increase damage etc. Overall I am ok with the amount of "difficulty" and "time-sink" in the game. Adding difficulty/time-sink is easy, just don't use the feature(s) that make the game easier. Based on the user base I don't think they like that answer though because then they cannot brag like they did in Spintires/Mudrunner about completing Deluge, one star, on hardcore.

snowrunner needs a new game+ mode. you start with all your vehicles/upgrades, but the game is more difficult. maybe cargo weighs 10-30% more, you can only recover a vehicle every 15-60 minutes, and more hazards are added to the map. new unique upgrades could be unlocked for finishing regions, like a flatbed for the P12. hell they could be cosmetic upgrades like more lights for all I care. just give me something to do after I beat canada in november.

Jager posted:

Regarding the lack of garages on some maps, I think the main issue is that due to the limitations of co-op (clients always have to travel from a garage since their truck locations aren't saved from last session) and the amount of co-op bugs, the game can be really tedious for co-op clients since they have to drive 5-10 minutes just to be able to participate on a map that doesn't have a garage.

this is why the garage placement in taymyr is so good. once you unlock the second garage you have a hub to quarry, rift, and zimnegorsk

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

bobbilljim posted:

"I want to do less truck driving in the truck driving game" OK bud

Accurate, I do not want to drive a truck down the same solved path repeatedly just so I can get to a new or interesting task/area. That is correct.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Let me buy trucks anywhere, region locking the store is stupid especially in multiplayer because it means "I want to re-buy this cool russia truck" turns into ok everyone finish their jobs, garage, retain, travel, buy, travel, redeploy.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

caedwalla posted:

Accurate, I do not want to drive a truck down the same solved path repeatedly just so I can get to a new or interesting task/area. That is correct.

I enjoyed Mudrunner much more in that regard. You had to think about which trucks you would sent on which routes. The big, heavily loaded vehicles would churn up the mud enough to preclude bringing smaller trucks through. Driving scout vehicles through the trees was a viable tactic to avoid bogging down, too.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Elendil004 posted:

Let me buy trucks anywhere, region locking the store is stupid especially in multiplayer because it means "I want to re-buy this cool russia truck" turns into ok everyone finish their jobs, garage, retain, travel, buy, travel, redeploy.

there's a really useful mod that kills the region locking, but it also gets ride of rank locking on upgrades/vehicles https://snowrunner.mod.io/buy-everything

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Has anyone encountered a bug where when you refuel from a trailer it zeros the fuel in the trailer and your truck? I haven't, but in coop Blue on Blue has had it happen twice and it can really gently caress up a game.

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!

Elendil004 posted:

Has anyone encountered a bug where when you refuel from a trailer it zeros the fuel in the trailer and your truck? I haven't, but in coop Blue on Blue has had it happen twice and it can really gently caress up a game.

I have. Co-op refueling is such a buggy mess that the best option is to let the host do the actual fuel transfer because otherwise the game loves to empty all tanks for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
if you're in coop, DO NOT hold the button down when you're refueling something else. just tap it a couple times and you shouldn't lose anything.