Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

X13Fen posted:

What's the current go-to chain lube recommendation?

Just used the last of mine and want to be prepared for next time I need to lube up

Silica Super-Secret.

I've done most all the chain lubes and was using Molten Speed Wax for a while, the Silica stuff is superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I recently picked up some Finish Line Ceramic Wet lube and it's been working well in this fall PNW weather where it's not so much outright rain as it is just constant dampness.

So far it seems to pick up a bit less grit and grime than traditional wet lubes, and stay quieter longer. Maybe just placebo effect though, but usually this time of year is really hard on my chains with a lot of relubing and this stuff feels a bit better.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i think my new bike computer is defective. it's a cateye padrone stealth. mostly it works, but during my ride the screen was sometimes flickering at a high frequency, and one time when i stopped at a traffic light it thought i was going 60mph. are these things known for having issues? don't think i set it up wrong since it otherwise gives the correct speed

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i think my new bike computer is defective. it's a cateye padrone stealth. mostly it works, but during my ride the screen was sometimes flickering at a high frequency, and one time when i stopped at a traffic light it thought i was going 60mph. are these things known for having issues? don't think i set it up wrong since it otherwise gives the correct speed

I think you need to consider the possibility that you were actually going 60mph

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
well, the earth is moving pretty fast around the sun, so if anything it was undercounting

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I have an older cateye computer and it has only freaked out and hosed up on me once in like 6 or 7 years. They're pretty simple devices so there isn't really much you can do to cause or prevent that sort of issue, as far as I can tell. If it keeps happening, send it back. Most people itt swear by garmin, even as they swear about their garmin

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

kinda what i figured, thanks. emailed cateye to see what they say, or i can just return it to amazon

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Wahoo crew. I've got a elemnt roam that often takes 5 mins to get GPS signal, this is valuable Strava meters that I lose a d is this usual?

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

If it's the kind that uses a magnet on the wheel for speed then you probably came to a stop with the magnet right near the sensor. Flickering screen seems bad though.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Wahoo crew. I've got a elemnt roam that often takes 5 mins to get GPS signal, this is valuable Strava meters that I lose a d is this usual?

I got tired of my ELEMNT taking forever to get ready to go so I ditched it for the new Garmin 530 and interface aside it's much nicer. Have not experienced any of the Garmin horror stories from the last couple years.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I like riding bicycles - it is fun.

This was my good post contribution

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Wow this is crazy. I turn on my Garmin as I’m walking out the door and it has a GPS lock before I walk out of the garage, 20’ away.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
My Elemnt Bolt gets a GPS lock quickly as well.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

colonel tom posted:

If it's the kind that uses a magnet on the wheel for speed then you probably came to a stop with the magnet right near the sensor.

I have an older cateye that does the same thing, even when the magnets aren't lined up, and always at the same stop light. It's the only funny thing it does though.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm looking to get a newer bike computer to upgrade my old Garmin 500. I'm mostly interested in somethign with good map view since I'm going to be doing a lot of gravel / fire roads. I've been looking at the Elemnt Bolt, but not sure how good the mapping functionality is in it. Any other devices i should be looking at?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Color screen on a Garmin is probably worth it for off-road.

My Bolt locks GPS quickly. Could be other RF devices on the bike interfering with the Roam?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I missed Priority releasing their first gravel bike, alfine 11 speed and gates belt for very low maintenance needs.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Koirhor posted:

I guess I missed Priority releasing their first gravel bike, alfine 11 speed and gates belt for very low maintenance needs.

drat that’s a decent price for that too.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My Giant Neostrack fell off my bike yesterday and probably ain't coming back, can anyone recommend a similar computer except without the ant+ stuff? I don't care about connecting to sensors or showing me maps or a color screen or whatever. I do care about long battery life, tracking where I've gone, and showing me a map + relevant map related stuff and travel distance.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I have an older cateye that does the same thing, even when the magnets aren't lined up, and always at the same stop light. It's the only funny thing it does though.
This jumped out at me. Some stoplights have sensors under the road - the light won't go green for the (much) less busy road intersecting the busy road unless it detects a car. Some of these sensors are based on a solenoid embedded in the asphalt, the weight of the car compresses it enough to induce an electrical current. Others are (so I've been led to believe) magnetic, and detect the tonne or so of iron when a car passes slowly or stops above it.

Could such a sensor be loving with your computer's speed sensor? Seems like a longshot, but that consistency at only one intersection got me thinking. Somebody who actually knows something about roads and traffic lights and so forth should correct my ignorant wanderings, though.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

sweat poteto posted:

Color screen on a Garmin is probably worth it for off-road.

My Bolt locks GPS quickly. Could be other RF devices on the bike interfering with the Roam?

Don't run anything else, might drop them an email and see if they have any suggestions because it's consistently taking a few minutes though it doesn't drop out once it's got it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Always at the same stop light says environment rather than sensor for sure.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i went on another ride and the cateye worked totally fine this time so :shrug:

also boy am i out of date. i thought my ultegra fd was misaligned since it's rubbing the chain, not just in the big-big combo but in several of the other large cogs as well. nope, user error: i have just learned about trim. last time i had a real road bike like this, i'm pretty sure trim wasn't a thing. and in the intervening time i had a surly with a friction front shifter so i could micro-adjust as needed. good to know the road components have basically solved this problem

Apr 7, 2003

We're pretty sure 2021 is going to shape up like 2020 has, ie, we'll be cycling all the time for lack of anything else to do. Wondering if it'll be worth upgrading from aluminum to a carbon bike for next year's money or if that's a lot of money for not much gained.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Depends entirely on the bikes in question and how much dent it would put into your financial security etc.

vvv Never ridden any of those so I will let someone else have an opinion!

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 20, 2020

Apr 7, 2003

We were looking at going from the Giant Contend AR 1s we’re riding now to Defy Advanced 1 or 2.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

don't buy upgrades, ride up grades

i mean your current bike has already taken you on two century rides, is it not good enough? if you have the money and it'll make you want to ride more and you'll enjoy it more etc then go for it, that's good enough reason imo. but i doubt that new carbon bikes are going to enable you to do anything you couldn't already do. if it was me i'd spend that money on another type of bike, like a mountain bike or an e-bike, something completely different

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The best feeling in the world is using a bike/parts until they disintegrate. Replacing stuff because you have to is just an excellent feeling. Doubly so when you do your own mechanical work.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DELETE CASCADE posted:

don't buy upgrades, ride up grades

if it was me i'd spend that money on another type of bike, like a mountain bike or an e-bike,
:thunk:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

a different type of bike isn't an upgrade, it's a different bike... :confused:

instead of buying a more expensive and lighter road bike, you can just train harder. but no amount of training is going to turn your road bike into a full suspension mtb, if that's something you are also interested in riding

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It can be easier to train harder on a more responsive bike that is more fun to ride.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I bought carbon wheels because they looked cool and I reasoned It would make me ride more. They completely changed how the bike felt and I'm now doing group rides 1-2 times a week for the first time in having it for 14 years.

Buy cool stuff for your bikes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Deep carbon wheels make whoosh sounds and you can’t put a price on that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Deep carbon wheels make whoosh sounds and you can’t put a price on that.

:hmmyes:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

carbon tubs are sex on wheels

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Anyone know the deal with Obed bikes (formerly Ocoee), looks like some of the same people as Litespeed?

They look kind of similar to Canyon in that they are direct to consumer, and their value proposition looks similar as well, but without all the wacky proprietary Canyon poo poo. And more oriented toward gravel/cx/mtb, no road race stuff.

3.5k for a carbon GRX810 or Ultegra RX Boundary looks pretty enticing. https://obedbikes.com/products/boundary-grx-810

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
That is some ugly-rear end typography on their frames.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

incoming kimbo post on how obed framesets are actually rebranded carbonda frames

http://www.carbonda.com/road/gravel/80.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Guinness posted:

Anyone know the deal with Obed bikes (formerly Ocoee), looks like some of the same people as Litespeed?
It's a frame that anyone can buy and build up a bike [brand] around.

kimbo305 posted:

Just so I have a place to collate these, I'm reposting, with a new edition:
===========================
I'm trying to collate all the Carbonda resellers.

https://obedbikes.com/collections/gravel/products/boundary-ultegra-rx
https://triaero.com/collections/cyclocross-gravel-bike/products/x-gravel-bike
https://cobaltbike.com/warhawk-gravel%2Fadventure
https://girs-bikes.com/gbfr/rnr-girs-bikes.html
https://pearl-cycles.com/pure-gravel-sl-ultegra-di2?lang=en
https://durianrider-publications.myshopify.com/products/pragma-mawson This is DurianRider's brand. Blegh

This is the new surprising one I ran into. A lot of talk on designing the frame and picking the carbon...
https://www.ridley-bikes.com/product/kanzo-adventure-2/#/catalogue/kanzo-adventure

https://thesis.bike/pages/choose-your-ob1
(this is a different Carbonda model, and the founder has worked out a couple of tweaks to the frames Carbonda makes for them, so it's not pure reselling)

Nothing wrong with the business model as long as you trust the quality of the frame and like the price.
FWIW, I think the finishing on the flat mount faces on my fork wasn't so hot, and might not be perfect after I filed off some paint overrun.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ohhh dang that is a super useful list, thanks! Figures that they are just branded generic frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Salt Fish posted:

The best feeling in the world is using a bike/parts until they disintegrate. Replacing stuff because you have to is just an excellent feeling. Doubly so when you do your own mechanical work.

The intersection of budget and bike for the next few months strongly suggests I'm going to be tripping balls, high as a goddam kite sometime before christmas, then.