Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sarada might get relegated back to supporting character but I’m impressed she got her own story arc. That said like somebody else said, Sasuke’s real jutsu is getting people to project their emotions onto him.

Sakura got a cool moment. That’s a jarring experience for the Kishimoto-verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Sarada might get relegated back to supporting character but I’m impressed she got her own story arc. That said like somebody else said, Sasuke’s real jutsu is getting people to project their emotions onto him.

Sakura got a cool moment. That’s a jarring experience for the Kishimoto-verse.

Nah, Sarada has a big role to play. But I was very happy that Sarada was 100% set on pulling a Sasuke and abandoning the village, but this time Naruto's Talk-no-Jutsu worked and brought her around before she did anything stupid.

And goddamn I wished Sakura had more moments like that in Shippuden.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rndmnmbr posted:

Nah, Sarada has a big role to play. But I was very happy that Sarada was 100% set on pulling a Sasuke and abandoning the village, but this time Naruto's Talk-no-Jutsu worked and brought her around before she did anything stupid.

And goddamn I wished Sakura had more moments like that in Shippuden.

The Ultimate Ninja Storms always make me feel wistful because there everybody gets a cool finishing move and the one in 4 for Team 7 at the end of the Shippuden arc is pretty baller, what with everybody summoning and powering up and it wouldn't have been that hard for Sakura to not just play healbot, right?

To stay positive, Mitsuki was also low-key hilarious in Sarada's story talking to Cho-Cho. "Your case is pretty advanced."

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I started the Naruto anime as a way to pass the quarantine blues. This show certainly so far seems at least as good as Bleach, with some wild variance in quality. The Rock Lee-Gaara fight and Orochimaru-Sasuke were amazing, a lot of the rest of the stuff has been some pretty cheap people yelling at each other for entire episodes crap.

Without spoiling too much, is this what I should expect going forward, or does the quality become more consistent?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
It does become more consistent, and the animation improves by the time you move from Naruto to Naruto Shippuuden. Please just be aware that this is a weekly show based upon a weekly manga. So the pacing will be pretty bad regardless, with filler arcs interspersed to allow the manga to further ahead again. If you have a list of the filler arcs to skip, you'll probably be fine, especially if you're binging the show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

30 episodes into Bort and Sarada had a fight she wins handily. At the same time in Naruto her mom had... learned to walk on a tree.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Chapter's up:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/boruto-chapter-51/chapter/21306?action=read

Edit: Seems the site's not working properly at the moment. Anybody got a backup link?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 20, 2020

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It was really funny to see the Viz and Mangaplus servers die the moment the new DB Super and Boruto chapters dropped.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Viz seems to be working again now at least.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I saw people were bitching but I kind of like this development as long as it doesn't lead to a deus ex machina

e: sorry I somehow posted here instead of the Dragon Ball thread

grieving for Gandalf fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 20, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I saw people were bitching but I kind of like this development as long as it doesn't lead to a deus ex machina

e: sorry I somehow posted here instead of the Dragon Ball thread

It’s okay, it fits here just as well

Chapter was okay, but man the pacing is so bad with so much exposition and people repeating what the other just said.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Not much to talk about besides speculating about what this FORBIDDEN TECHNIQUE is going to be.

Amado's knowledge isn't perfect. Or he was being polite to Sumire.

For all of Isshiki's bluster, he's probably actually worried about being stalled out since he keeps on offering to let people go.

Darth TNT posted:

It’s okay, it fits here just as well

Chapter was okay, but man the pacing is so bad with so much exposition and people repeating what the other just said.

I guess these points are supposed to be important with them being repeated. :shrug:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
How can you ask me to believe for one second that they'd really kill off Naruto.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
drat the Ōtsutsuki lore is getting convoluted.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Hypocrisy posted:

For all of Isshiki's bluster, he's probably actually worried about being stalled out since he keeps on offering to let people go.

He is extremely worried. If he can't get to Kawaki within a few days, he will permanently die, and that's if this body doesn't get worn out before then.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The new author really couldn't think of anything better than another Naruto power mode uh.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Its so cliche and yet i am big excite for that power up

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The new author really couldn't think of anything better than another Naruto power mode uh.

Just waiting for Sasuke to pull out another eye.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
has sasuke tried the turning into a robot part of his magical eye powers yet

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

Schubalts posted:

He is extremely worried. If he can't get to Kawaki within a few days, he will permanently die, and that's if this body doesn't get worn out before then.

Honestly I like this aspect. It gives the villain an obvious weakness/motivation, and it might make said fights more interesting

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It worked for dragonball super

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Theoretically, this might be somewhat of a call back to his original tail form transitions. Note that Bee more or less looked like Eight when he went full form. Naruto never did, what he obtained when he went nine tails was something cleaner, as in just purely getting the chakra. Early in the series he began to take the on the fox form more clearly, this might be a way to channel the chakra in a different way to get a power boost in exchange for something else? No idea.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I can't believe Kurama just opened up Naruto's Gate of Death like that and is gonna let him die like Guy would have if Naruto wasn't there.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Eustace posted:

It worked for dragonball super

It didn't, IMHO, Super sucks in all versions.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Dear Kishimoto: Did you see the latest episode of the Boruto anime, specifically Sakura being the bad bitch of chakra control and/or bulk landscaping? Why weren't you doing this back in Shippuden? The world wonders. Sincerely, literally everyone.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It didn't, IMHO, Super sucks in all versions.

Tell that to the football stadiums full of people in mexico

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rndmnmbr posted:

Dear Kishimoto: Did you see the latest episode of the Boruto anime, specifically Sakura being the bad bitch of chakra control and/or bulk landscaping? Why weren't you doing this back in Shippuden? The world wonders. Sincerely, literally everyone.

First and most importantly: :hmmyes:

And Sarada essentially combos this with the Sharingan, right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

Seriously where the hell was this Sakura during the rest of the series (I think the last time she got to do something cool was way back during the Sasori fight).

Also, when was the last time we actually saw the Sharingan be used to copy jutsu? The Chunin Exams?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 26, 2020

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

From another character or from the whole series? The copy functionality has been used several times by Sarada so far in Boruto.

At a certain point though, it did get completely subsumed by all the other eye hax it has in the Shippuuden. Didn't really go back to its base nature until a novice started using it again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teek posted:

From another character or from the whole series? It's been used several times by Sarada so far in the series.

At a certain point though, it did get completely subsumed by all the other eye hax it has in the Shippuuden. Didn't really go back to its base nature until a novice started using it again.

Ah right, forgot about that

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Man, Naruto is really the least interesting part of this series isn't he. Jiraiya seeking his destiny, Sasuke seeking revenge, all way more interesting than Naruto being a dumbass.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

hi liter posted:

Man, Naruto is really the least interesting part of this series isn't he. Jiraiya seeking his destiny, Sasuke seeking revenge, all way more interesting than Naruto being a dumbass.

I don't quite feel that way about Bort, though? He at least has some more interesting dynamics going on. Although I do wish we could skip to he and Salad being friends already.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

hi liter posted:

This was always my view, even when I was the biggest Naruto fanboy 10-13 years ago. Every character was amazing, except Naruto himself.

Naruto was luckily such an ensemble piece with a lot of focus on side characters that it could overcome the inherent suck of its main character.

And Naruto didn't even have good fights. The greatest demonstration of his "fighting prowess" is how he spammed clones against Kimimaro, an actually skilled opponent, who showed that 1,000 x 0 is still 0. He never did anything interesting with his clones like he learned to do in Part 2, he just made a lot of fodder over and over and over again.

As memey as it became to hate Sasuke, he was absolutely the most compelling part of Team 7 in terms of plot and action. He lost every important fight but his fights were always better than Naruto's and (lol) Sakura's.

I've wanted to watch Boruto but I stopped Part 2 around the time Obito gained control of the Ten Tails and the Hokages were revived, whichever came first. I forget. A lot of stuff happens after that so I'm thinking I might actually sit down, re-watch and finish not just Part 2, but the whole series. I want to see how it holds up.

I can already see a lot of things that bug me now more than they did back then. When all you saw was DBZ or YYH or RK, Naruto having the worst written female cast of all time doesn't bother you much. But now I've seen how shounen can actually have a female cast that matters (Fairy Tail might have excessive fanservice but it had more women than most other big time battle shounen and it let the women kick rear end and also have character development and arcs and relevance beyond being love interests) so I won't be as forgiving as I once was. Did you know Ino was the second best student at the Academy after Sasuke? You wouldn't know this from her every portrayal in Part 1 which is just '*drool over Sasuke*".

The designs also leave something to be desired, I think. It was always weaker than One Piece and both were far inferior to Bleach, IMO. Bleach's best feature ws its character designs.

But all that being said, I'm not the hardest guy on the planet to please. I'm sure I'll enjoy myself. Nostalgia is definitely on its side. I've always wondered if the dubbers (I only watch English dubs) were more "liberal" in localization in Part 1 than in Shippuden o if the writing quality of the material just got a lot worse because I swear everything sounded more natural in Part 1. But maybe it's nostalgia.

I've still never seen the original Naruto vs. Sasuke VOTE fight. I watcehd Naruto week-to-week on CN and I swear to God every week was just "Naruto or Sasuke get knocked back and then we get an episode of Sasuke flashbacks." After two or three weeks of this, I just gave up.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 5, 2020

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

NikkolasKing posted:

This was always my view, even when I was the biggest Naruto fanboy 10-13 years ago. Every character was amazing, except Naruto himself.

Naruto was luckily such an ensemble piece with a lot of focus on side characters that it could overcome the inherent suck of its main character.

And Naruto didn't even have good fights. The greatest demonstration of his "fighting prowess" is how he spammed clones against Kimimaro, an actually skilled opponent, who showed that 1,000 x 0 is still 0. He never did anything interesting with his clones like he learned to do in Part 2, he just made a lot of fodder over and over and over again.

As memey as it became to hate Sasuke, he was absolutely the most compelling part of Team 7 in terms of plot and action. He lost every important fight but his fights were always better than Naruto's and (lol) Sakura's.

I've wanted to watch Boruto but I stopped Part 2 around the time Obito gained control of the Ten Tails and the Hokages were revived, whichever came first. I forget. A lot of stuff happens after that so I'm thinking I might actually sit down, re-watch and finish not just Part 2, but the whole series. I want to see how it holds up.

I can already see a lot of things that bug me now more than they did back then. When all you saw was DBZ or YYH or RK, Naruto having the worst written female cast of all time doesn't bother you much. But now I've seen how shounen can actually have a female cast that matters (Fairy Tail might have excessive fanservice but it had more women than most other big time battle shounen and it let the women kick rear end and also have character development and arcs and relevance beyond being love interests) so I won't be as forgiving as I once was. Did you know Ino was the second best student at the Academy after Sasuke? You wouldn't know this from her every portrayal in Part 1 which is just '*drool over Sasuke*".

The designs also leave something to be desired, I think. It was always weaker than One Piece and both were far inferior to Bleach, IMO. Bleach's best feature ws its character designs.

But all that being said, I'm not the hardest guy on the planet to please. I'm sure I'll enjoy myself. Nostalgia is definitely on its side. I've always wondered if the dubbers (I only watch English dubs) were more "liberal" in localization in Part 1 than in Shippuden o if the writing quality of the material just got a lot worse because I swear everything sounded more natural in Part 1. But maybe it's nostalgia.

I've still never seen the original Naruto vs. Sasuke VOTE fight. I watcehd Naruto week-to-week on CN and I swear to God every week was just "Naruto or Sasuke get knocked back and then we get an episode of Sasuke flashbacks." After two or three weeks of this, I just gave up.

I'm going to sound biased, but the female cast of Inuyasha was much stronger than Naruto's. Like, aside from Kagome (who's still a great character), most of the female cast had clear goals and ambitions (Sango wanting to save her brother, Kikyou wanting to destroy Naraku for good, Kagura wanting to escape Naraku's clutches), while in Naruto, a lot of them either have a goal of chasing after a edgelord boy (Sakura, Ino, Karin), or no clear goals at all (Ten Ten, Temari).

Like, it's crazy how much of a better character Kagome is than Sakura. Despite having lived in what's essentially our world, Kagome is shown to be very brave in the feudal era, and never waivers despite all the horrifying poo poo she encounters on a daily basis. In addition, she starts the series off as a piss poor archer, but as it progresses, she becomes pretty good with a bow and arrow, and is willing to face opponents far more powerful than her, even if she may be outpowered. Not only that, but despite her love for Inuyasha, she actually has a back bone, and is willing to speak back to Inuyasha when he gets abrasive or sneaks off to meet with Kikyo (I know that Inuyasha didn't flirt with her for the most part when he went to meet her, but he still should have told Kagome).

Sakura, on the other hand, is an exceptionally weak character. She lives in a world where ninja villages are constantly at war with each other, yet her main focus always seems to be on Sasuke. She lives and breathes for him, despite him treating her like absolute poo poo, and attempting to kill her twice. In addition, despite the anime/manga promoting the idea that she has the best chakara control out of Team 7, it's never utilized, and most of the time, Naruto, Sasuke or Kakashi have to save her. Kishimoto must have realized at some point that Sakura was bad, because he seemed to attempt to give her more depth after the time skip by not only giving her super strength chakara punches and healing, but also tried to give her a goal of trying to not be reliant on Naruto and Sasuke anymore. The problem is that even then, Kishimoto never followed through on it, and after the first arc of the time skip is done, she doesn't contribute much, and when she finally confronts Sasuke, she needs to be saved by Kakashi and Naruto, and comes to the conclusion that she can't do anything but watch Naruto and Sasuke fight

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Willo567 posted:

I'm going to sound biased, but the female cast of Inuyasha was much stronger than Naruto's. Like, aside from Kagome (who's still a great character), most of the female cast had clear goals and ambitions (Sango wanting to save her brother, Kikyou wanting to destroy Naraku for good, Kagura wanting to escape Naraku's clutches), while in Naruto, a lot of them either have a goal of chasing after a edgelord boy (Sakura, Ino, Karin), or no clear goals at all (Ten Ten, Temari).

Like, it's crazy how much of a better character Kagome is than Sakura. Despite having lived in what's essentially our world, Kagome is shown to be very brave in the feudal era, and never waivers despite all the horrifying poo poo she encounters on a daily basis. In addition, she starts the series off as a piss poor archer, but as it progresses, she becomes pretty good with a bow and arrow, and is willing to face opponents far more powerful than her, even if she may be outpowered. Not only that, but despite her love for Inuyasha, she actually has a back bone, and is willing to speak back to Inuyasha when he gets abrasive or sneaks off to meet with Kikyo (I know that Inuyasha didn't flirt with her for the most part when he went to meet her, but he still should have told Kagome).

Sakura, on the other hand, is an exceptionally weak character. She lives in a world where ninja villages are constantly at war with each other, yet her main focus always seems to be on Sasuke. She lives and breathes for him, despite him treating her like absolute poo poo, and attempting to kill her twice. In addition, despite the anime/manga promoting the idea that she has the best chakara control out of Team 7, it's never utilized, and most of the time, Naruto, Sasuke or Kakashi have to save her. Kishimoto must have realized at some point that Sakura was bad, because he seemed to attempt to give her more depth after the time skip by not only giving her super strength chakara punches and healing, but also tried to give her a goal of trying to not be reliant on Naruto and Sasuke anymore. The problem is that even then, Kishimoto never followed through on it, and after the first arc of the time skip is done, she doesn't contribute much, and when she finally confronts Sasuke, she needs to be saved by Kakashi and Naruto, and comes to the conclusion that she can't do anything but watch Naruto and Sasuke fight

I honestly thought Inuyasha was a shojo series until very recently.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Violet_Sky posted:

I honestly thought Inuyasha was a shojo series until very recently.

This.

I love Inuyasha and you're absolutely right Willo567 that Kagome is an infinitely superior character to Sakura. But IY is so different from all the other shounen I've listed. For one thing, it heavily skews towards drama. I'd say IY is about 70% Drama and 30% Action. It is all about the relationships of the cast. Naruto tried to have a love story but its first priority was fighting and its second priority was the relationship between Naruto and Sasuke. Sakura was a distant afterthought.

IY's female cast blows most other shounen out of the water but it it just so different in its core ideas and its formula (a lack of big drawn out "arcs")that it never comes into my mind when I'm talking about stuff like this.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The problem with Naruto as a character is that all his interesting parts are barely investigated in the original and Shippuden spends much of it's time giving him upgrades or story beats that negate them.

Take his interactions with the Fox, the stuff against Haku and the meeting as he falls are both really interesting moments of anger and resonance with what amounts to a living natural disaster. His fight with Neji is pretty baller for this too. But that's not what the story is interested in looking at, it's far more interested in the meta-plot of Sasuke and the Akatsuki.

Naruto would work better as a main character where the primary story was all about the Jinchuuriki and their place in the world, as well as how that reflects on Ninja like Zabuza and Orochimaru who are "demons" in their own right.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

The problem with Naruto as a character is that all his interesting parts are barely investigated in the original and Shippuden spends much of it's time giving him upgrades or story beats that negate them.

Take his interactions with the Fox, the stuff against Haku and the meeting as he falls are both really interesting moments of anger and resonance with what amounts to a living natural disaster. His fight with Neji is pretty baller for this too. But that's not what the story is interested in looking at, it's far more interested in the meta-plot of Sasuke and the Akatsuki.

Naruto would work better as a main character where the primary story was all about the Jinchuuriki and their place in the world, as well as how that reflects on Ninja like Zabuza and Orochimaru who are "demons" in their own right.

Maybe this is why I and so many others have always loved Gaara. He was what Naruto was supposed to be, including having better character development.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe this is why I and so many others have always loved Gaara. He was what Naruto was supposed to be, including having better character development.

Nah, in the story about the Jinchuuriki (instead of them just being a plot device for Akatsuki to capture off-screen) Gaara is the first example of how badly they can go, and what Naruto should strive to "fix". He's a good foil to Naruto, but his whole deal isn't a good deal for a main character I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~
Gaara shops at hot topic even tho hes in his 30s.

So little of this era of shonen got to be what they wanted to be, but real world stuff always put it together for the reader why it was dragged out and fans and even author favorites went to the wayside for a cliche.

...I consider the talking poprock/sun guy and the talking jello alongside the "chunbyo"(a term made well after bobobo was even being printed) getting ahead in character polls ahead of the protagonist a huge accomplishment.