Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

From what I can remember, he's been mentioned a grand total of two times in the mainline manga (not counting the special chapter released for the movie which was drawn by Oda and shows you stuff from the Silver Age of Piracy).

1. First dude to escape from Impel Down
2. A major pirate from the past who used to be a member of the Rox Pirates

His rivalry with Roger isn't really brought up in the mainline manga.

I don't think he's really majorly brought up, he appeared in a grand total of 1 movie and 1 special manga chapter. And maybe a few anime episodes building up to the movie.

Dude sorta suffers from the main character buff and power creep of One Piece; he was literally on the same footing as Whitebeard and Roger, but he gets beaten by pre-timeskip Luffy. Sure, dude had no feet and also destroyed the entire Straw Hat Crew when they fought the first (2?) times, but being beaten by pre-Haki pre-Gear 4 Haki???? Dude got power creep punished even harder than Croc.

Man, when you put it like that Shiki really did get done dirty. I guess that’s the power of love for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To be somewhat fair to Shiki in the movie. He was literally playing around with Luffy during their final fight and is having little difficulty handling him until he lets himself lose at the end.

To be exact, Luffy does a Gigant Axe but he sends his body into the Storm Clouds they are fighting around and gets getting blasted by lightning. Shiki then remarks that he does not need to do anything to take care of Luffy now and stops paying attention to him until the electrified giant leg smashes into his head, as he remembers that rubber is insulated and he gets smashed into the sea.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i dont really get the crocodile complaints honestly. he had hubris because his power rules, luffy made a logical realization about how to get around his power, hurt himself to get him wet with blood and then beat him up. it made sense and was emotionally satisfying. i vastly preferred it to thriller bark's resolution, which means i probably will end up liking the end of wano less than the end of dressrosa.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Paper Lion posted:

i dont really get the crocodile complaints honestly.

people think bounties and appointments are Dragon Ball -style Power Levels despite the story repeatedly making it clear that this is not the case

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Also Crocodile beat Luffy twice and the first time would've been where Luffy died if not for some serious luck.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Paper Lion posted:

i dont really get the crocodile complaints honestly. he had hubris because his power rules, luffy made a logical realization about how to get around his power, hurt himself to get him wet with blood and then beat him up. it made sense and was emotionally satisfying. i vastly preferred it to thriller bark's resolution, which means i probably will end up liking the end of wano less than the end of dressrosa.

I don’t really have complaints, and I don’t really think a lot of people really think it’s a huge deal overall and accept it as a natural consequence of One Piece expanding in scope. But umm, it’s kinda hard to deny that Crocodile losing in what’s a straightforward brawl in Round 3, being in prison with sea prism stone cuffs in the interval so he couldn’t get stronger, then being able to hang with the big boys in Marineford feels weird.

There’s also the thing where Crocodile got dunked on by Whitebeard which makes it pretty gosh darn stupid that he would ever take the fact that he couldn’t be hurt for granted as long as he stayed away from water. But really at least with that you can shrug it off with “haki didn’t exist yet”.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

There’s also the thing where Crocodile got dunked on by Whitebeard which makes it pretty gosh darn stupid that he would ever take the fact that he couldn’t be hurt for granted as long as he stayed away from water. But really at least with that you can shrug it off with “haki didn’t exist yet”.

I mean tbf he also stayed away from haki

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

idk if i would call "getting his assassination of whitebeard stuffed by gear second, then losing because jozu hit him with haki, then off screen escaping from akainu" hanging with the big boys at marineford

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/Fminus14/status/1318198705665855491

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lol

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Random aside, but when did One Piece start to really take off in popularity? I remember it was part of the "Big Three" of the big hitters back in the day alongside Naruto and Bleach, but is there a way to pinpoint the moment when OP became a national then worldwide phenomenon in terms of sales and popularity?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Random aside, but when did One Piece start to really take off in popularity? I remember it was part of the "Big Three" of the big hitters back in the day alongside Naruto and Bleach, but is there a way to pinpoint the moment when OP became a national then worldwide phenomenon in terms of sales and popularity?
I only started hearing about it during Ennies Lobby. It was famously miles less popular than Naruto/Bleach in the US for a very long time even after it became #1 in Japan. Some people here blamed really bad anime localization that involved Sanji's cigarette being a lollipop and thought it would never catch up from that.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It's popularity steadily grew over time, but I think the huge bump going by volume sales numbers occured around 2009-2011, during the shabondy->impel down->Marineford War arcs.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

No Wave posted:

Some people here blamed really bad anime localization that involved Sanji's cigarette being a lollipop and thought it would never catch up from that.

Can confirm that I initially wrote off One Piece because of the 4kids dub, and only became a rabid, frothing fan of it after a friend, years later, convinced me to start reading the manga.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Bleck posted:

Can confirm that I initially wrote off One Piece because of the 4kids dub, and only became a rabid, frothing fan of it after a friend, years later, convinced me to start reading the manga.

same, except it was weekly posts in the naruto thread about one piece being better that convinced me haha

(they were right)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I should be more specific and say: when did One Piece become a hit in Japan? I am quite familiar with the sordid story with 4Kids and all that in America.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I should be more specific and say: when did One Piece become a hit in Japan? I am quite familiar with the sordid story with 4Kids and all that in America.

It was always pretty popular but not a mega bit hit. It actually went through a bit of a drop during Skypiea and then got really popular during the run of Enies Lobby.

It then exploded into super mega popularity during the Sabaody - Marineford era. If you had been reading it weekly back then you'd know why as well, it was just week after week of Oda's absolute best work for multiple years and you were constantly on tenterhooks each week waiting to see what happened next. it's reflected in the volume sales during that time which were breaking records left and right

I still remember the feeling of shock I had in the chapter where Ace gets punched by Akainu and then having to wait a week to see what happened next. Then as the arc feels like it's winding down with this terrible tragedy, Oda doubles down and has Blackbeard appear to just make the situation go from bad to worse. Plus the mystery of what 3D2Y meant, which is so obvious in retrospect, was a really cool mystery that had people dicussing what Luffy's message was and how the Strawhats were gonna even reunite.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I often wish I had really sunk my teeth into the series earlier. Like with many outside of Japan, the 4kids dub kind of pushed me away from the series for a long while. I vaguely remember watching some of the Funimation stuff later, but for reasons I can't recall I didn't get too deep into it. By the time I said "gently caress it" and just binged the whole series, the anime was in Dressrosa, and I got so tired of waiting I switched to the manga. I was anime only, so wasn't aware just how bad the pacing of it was as the series went along.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i heard someone talk about luffy and then saw some 4kids episodes i think and then downloaded kaizoku fansub torrents at like 1 seed up until water 7

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Asuron posted:

It was always pretty popular but not a mega bit hit. It actually went through a bit of a drop during Skypiea and then got really popular during the run of Enies Lobby.

I always remembered reading that Alabasta was when it took off, cause that was when one of the takoban become one of the best selling books of all time in Japan. Maybe I’m remembering wrong though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gonna be controversial and say I got into One Piece because of the 4kids dub.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The 4Kids dub got me into the anime because I knew it was heavily edited, and I wanted to see what the real thing was like. So one boring summer I decided to watch the K-F releases and then speedsubs until I ran out of content right at the loving end of Enies Lobby. So I switched immediately to the manga. It was actually the first manga I ever read. For years, something about not having color kept me away from manga in general (I was dumb), but I wasn't about to let that stop me from seeing what happened next.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I got into One Piece because my friend kept popping off about Marineford in the Anime.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If there's anything I miss about fansubs, it's the goofy custom fonts they would use for attakc names.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Roth posted:

If there's anything I miss about fansubs, it's the goofy custom fonts they would use for attakc names.

I demand the return of karaoke subs in openings where the font talks up a solid 1/4 of the screen and can trigger seizures.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Even with 4Kids completely butchering it, I could tell One Piece was still amazing, it just took me a while to first read the manga itself, think I documented some of it in this thread like 5 years ago or whatever. Now I've read the manga 4 times total, seen all the movies, trawled through the wiki more than I'd like to admit, I'm completely hooked.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Honestly not all of the changes made by 4kids were super terrible either. People mock the cigarette to lollipop thing but it’s honestly fine. I can’t think of any others right now because I haven’t actually watched the 4kids version in a long time, but yeah I actually liked Sanji having a lollipop.

Oh, Smoker’s cigars being removed made him look like he was constantly just breathing out smoke and that’s kind of cool. Removing Crocodile’s cigar doesn’t work though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the hammer gun is extremely funny

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

one day brook's going to achieve his 50 year dream of reuniting with that iceberg and it's gonna be sick

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Paper Lion posted:

its an issue of power creep but one thats handled close to as best it can i figure

but to me it is kinda bizarre that crocodile, who is portrayed as a fairly notable pirate in universe (recognizable to a ton of major characters inc. whitebeard, notably not stupid so had reason to think he could at least compete with whitebeard at some juncture, was a warlord and intended to counterbalance the emperors, etc.) could be handled in a fight more easily than say, blueno. a few things from earlier in the story don't hold up terribly well for where it eventually went fwiw, and the reorientation around haki had a lot to do with that - its not really worth worrying about too much, but if you look closely, there's a few things imo that do feel kinda weird with OPs power system

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

tbp posted:

its an issue of power creep but one thats handled close to as best it can i figure

but to me it is kinda bizarre that crocodile, who is portrayed as a fairly notable pirate in universe (recognizable to a ton of major characters inc. whitebeard, notably not stupid so had reason to think he could at least compete with whitebeard at some juncture, was a warlord and intended to counterbalance the emperors, etc.) could be handled in a fight more easily than say, blueno. a few things from earlier in the story don't hold up terribly well for where it eventually went fwiw, and the reorientation around haki had a lot to do with that - its not really worth worrying about too much, but if you look closely, there's a few things imo that do feel kinda weird with OPs power system
I think if Alabasta-era Luffy had a hardcore long fight with Blueno, where he could basically be defeated and brought near to death and was given the opportunity to recover and reconsider tactics multiple times, and then he exerted every last iota of his strength... Luffy could probably take Blueno out. And I daresay he could do it a fair bit more easily than he ended up taking out Crocodile.

It's easy to remember that Luffy beat Crocodile in the end. It should be remembered that Crocodile beat Luffy twice before that. If they had a rematch with Luffy's fancier abilities, maybe it'd go two to one in Luffy's favor or something, but it's not like it would be an automatic win.

Basically I don't think that it's fair to say Crocodile was defeated "more easily" than Blueno at all. It was a totally different situation with totally different stakes. The power of gear second let him get past Blueno quicker because he had more important things to do.

I think the reason Crocodile doesn't bother my sense of power levels is that it felt like it had as much to do with determination as it had to do with physical ability. Luffy was easily defeated by Crocodile. The only reason it was a victory in the end is that Luffy just kept coming.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Honestly not all of the changes made by 4kids were super terrible either. People mock the cigarette to lollipop thing but it’s honestly fine. I can’t think of any others right now because I haven’t actually watched the 4kids version in a long time, but yeah I actually liked Sanji having a lollipop.

Oh, Smoker’s cigars being removed made him look like he was constantly just breathing out smoke and that’s kind of cool. Removing Crocodile’s cigar doesn’t work though.

Honestly the crazy thing about lollipop Sanji is that I almost feel like Oda would definitely write a character who constantly sucks on ghost pepper flavored lollipops that ignite cigarette-style because they’re so hot.

tbp posted:

Imho it’s also worth noting how Crocodile stands out partly because power scaling is something Oda generally does well, kinda like how the Birdcage is so infamous because it happens on One Piece and no one would call shenanigans on it if it happened in Bleach or Naruto,

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh god I accidentally started this power level discussion.

I'm sorry everyone I'll exile myself from the thread for a week.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I used to hang out in the local library after school in elementary and because I was bored I read through their section of shonen manga and OP was the only one that stuck with me enough to keep following it. I didn't see the anime at all before I started reading it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The real issue with the crocodile fights is does Luffy sweat? If so then he should have always been able to punch crocodile but then he is made of rubber so maybe he doesn't?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

One thing i kind of liked about the 4kids dub was what they did with Buggy, giving him that demonic second voice whenever he got pissed off. It was weird and had no explanation, but I can't help but find it oddly endearing.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tbp posted:

Its easy to forget because the manga has been running for 20 years, but all the way until the timeskip, Luffy (unlike, say, Zoro) does not actually get stronger. There are no training arcs and even if there were, Luffy never would commit to a second of training until the time skip. The only powerup luffy gets is inventing Gear 2nd and 3rd, which are just different applications of his power and where early 3rd gear is questionable at best. So there's not a case of Luffy getting stronger, rather he gets tested harder. Crocodile, Enel and everyone else before Lucci had the huge handicap of just vastly underestimating Luffy. Keep in mind the only reason Crocodile lost is because he toyed around with Luffy two times qithout confirming the kill, giving luffy multiple chances to figure out how to fight him. It's not until Luffy, fighting him for the third time, punches through his sand scythes and machine gun fists are approaching mid-air Crocodile that he realizes what he's dealing with, and a split second later he's nothing more than ceiling graffiti. Enel had the same story, even with the shock-surprise-stunner of spark bouncing off rubber, Enel did not consider Luffy much more than an annoyance because he believed in his ability to predict movements until he'd been face-whacked multiple times by some of the dumbest counters imaginable, but to Enel's credit he did figure out the level of danger eventually just too little too late. Lucci is the first fight where his opponents does not underestimate him and Luffy gets pushed to his limits.

The power curve makes a lot more sense if don't think of it as a series of increasingly escalating threats, and more as a supposed underdog's adventure through a world that has yet to take him seriously.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 21, 2020

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Don’t they have a scene in Ennies Lobby/Water 7 where Nami’s wondering how the heck they’re gonna handle CP9 for real and Zoro’s says “we lost the last time because we were all confused about Robin, and besides all the fights in the way here have made us stronger than back in East Blue”?

I kinda figure it works like an RPG where Luffy fights the strongest guys and gets the most levels, Zoro keeps up by fighting a lot too and grinding on the side, and everyone else...I guess comes up with new tools to compensate since Luffy/Zoro are the muscle. Or alternatively, I guess it works by getting the poo poo kicked out of you in the process of getting your win like saiyans in DBZ, which would be pretty fitting considering their dub VAs. :v:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Stronger in the sense of 'more experienced' makes sense, which is true for Luffy as well. Like, if you imagine a boxer just going through matches but not training, he will gain match experience and become a more competent fighter, but he won't get more muscle or a stronger body just from matches. I guess the point here is, contrast it with DBZ where fights are won through sheer training, One Piece until the time skip would be the polar opposite (except for Zoro).

Bisse fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

Don’t they have a scene in Ennies Lobby/Water 7 where Nami’s wondering how the heck they’re gonna handle CP9 for real and Zoro’s says “we lost the last time because we were all confused about Robin, and besides all the fights in the way here have made us stronger than back in East Blue”?

Usopp gets left behind when they’re riding the giant bulls or whatever and Nami is like “we have to go help him, he’s not like you guys” and Zoro in a cool moment is like “we’ve all been getting stronger, even Usopp, there’s nobody on this crew that would die so easily”