Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
an electric miata would be dope but i suspect weight is going to be a challenge in the immediate future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Depends on how much range you are willing to sacrifice, and as you sacrifice range (kWh) you also sacrifice max power output from the batteries, so there is that... if it had 120 km range and could fast charge, I wouldn't mind an electric Miata, but it would be a very niche car at that point, heh.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

If the cost per kw/h continues to trend downward as it has so far, I could see a market for high discharge rate swappable batteries for track day cars.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

If the cost per kw/h continues to trend downward as it has so far, I could see a market for high discharge rate swappable batteries for track day cars.

You could even take the battery charger out of the car and let a set of batteries charge during laps. Would need a decent external cooling solution though.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

harperdc posted:

It sounds like the Mini does a decent impression of its lighter petrol-powered cousin, but the range on those isn’t huge.

I have a Cooper SE and it fuckin’ owns, most fun I’ve ever had with a car

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Wibla posted:

You could even take the battery charger out of the car and let a set of batteries charge during laps. Would need a decent external cooling solution though.
No reason you couldn't do the same thing as they did here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUwRnBhtevE&t=360s

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I know it's insanely expensive but the Lotus Evija supercar is only 3,704 lbs with 1,972 horsepower and 1,254 lb-ft of torque. The battery has been described as a 70 kwh lithium-ion battery pack. They got the weight savings through everything other than the battery by using a single-piece carbon fiber monocoque chassis etc. Of course it's $2 million+.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 20, 2020

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

No reason you couldn't do the same thing as they did here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUwRnBhtevE&t=360s

ford when they see an uncancelled compact car model

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Friendly reminder that we are just over an hour away from the Hummer EV reveal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjMhZKmHKGk

It's gonna be ugly as sin, but the 3 motor version is supposed to be 1000hp, so it'll be moving too fast to see it, so :shrug:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

It's gonna be ugly as sin, but the 3 motor version is supposed to be 1000hp, so it'll be moving too fast to see it, so :shrug:

Starting at $112,595†

Available: FALL 2021

3 motors
Estimated 350+ mile range†
1,000 hp/11,500 lb-ft of torque†
0-60 in approximately 3 seconds†

There are some other lesser models but not out until 2022-2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You forgot the most important bits. 18 camera views and both a targa top and t-tops.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
tbh I scrolled down and saw the pricing and closed the tab. They will be everywhere in SoCal I’m sure

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Can't wait to have them driving over the lines on blind turns on my local canyon road

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

heated game moment posted:

Starting at $112,595†

Available: FALL 2021

3 motors
Estimated 350+ mile range†
1,000 hp/11,500 lb-ft of torque†
0-60 in approximately 3 seconds†

There are some other lesser models but not out until 2022-2024

Oh my god, it's really happening - A Hummer with more power than a Veyron and just as fast to boot. What a time to be alive that this absurd thing exists

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Hoping this link with all the other trims works:

350 kW DCFC, 80-110 kWh battery.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Wibla posted:

Nah, just stick an accordion on the top of your car and string caternaries over the track surface.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Nah, just stick an accordion on the top of your car and string caternaries over the track surface.

Big induction coils in the pavement that charge your car like in F-Zero.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

~Coxy posted:

Life size slot cars

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh my god, it's really happening - A Hummer with more power than a Veyron and just as fast to boot. What a time to be alive that this absurd thing exists

Real honest to god EV Canyonero

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

What could possibly go wrong with giving people that much power behind a vehicle that large

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Powershift posted:

A vehicle that size and shape should 100% be illegal for ordinary use. What a waste of lives and resources

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

A vehicle that size and shape should 100% be illegal for ordinary use. What a waste of lives and resources

I really appreciate how stupid and over the top it is but I wish there were more smaller EVs in the US, seems like a majority are still larger sedans or crossovers

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
There have been smaller EVs and hybrids available for a while in the U.S. although admittedly not a huge variety of them. But the market has spoken and most people want crossovers/CUV/SUV or pickups. They don't appeal to me but a handful of enthusiasts don't drive the market and that's why small cars are mostly dead.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

I really appreciate how stupid and over the top it is but I wish there were more smaller EVs in the US, seems like a majority are still larger sedans or crossovers

There really should be separate fast car and large car supplemental licenses that you have to apply and test for after you get your base license and can be taken away from you independently.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This thing is going to murder pedestrians and cyclists by virtue of the insane design and the people who will buy it. It should be legislated out of existence.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Halo cars like that Hummer are going to change the general public's mind on EVs. Build all the micro cars and Bolts/Niros etc you want but it'll be these ridiculous vehicles like the Hummer/Cybertruck that will change perception and aspirations and get people to buy Model 3s, Mach Es, E-Trons etc.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The charge-status headlights are pretty loving cool...

I wonder how long it will last before GM kills it in a fit of self-destructive behavior.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Yuns posted:

Halo cars like that Hummer are going to change the general public's mind on EVs. Build all the micro cars and Bolts/Niros etc you want but it'll be these ridiculous vehicles like the Hummer/Cybertruck that will change perception and aspirations and get people to buy Model 3s, Mach Es, E-Trons etc.

This should be read by everyone wonder why the gently caress does the crazy rear end vehicle exist. It's GM declaring their hand about what they can do and getting asses into showrooms to sell more bread and butter EV's - it's tech is going into other vehicles eventually as well too. I have no idea what drugged out exec thought of this idea or the people that signed off on the project but daaaaamn they really did a real attention grabber.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yuns posted:

It’s great that GM has some cool tech, it’s a shame they put it into a vehicle so gauche. I couldn’t give two shits if this changes people’s minds about EVs when pedestrian fatalities rose 46% from 2009-2016 with SUVs and pickup trucks being the leading offenders. This Hummer version is even worse because of the monstrous flat front end. Public perception of EVs doesn’t outweigh the responsibility of a manufacturer to make vehicles safer for occupants and pedestrians, and GM really failed. See also, the new Escalade.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Blame the consumers. GM's just filling demand.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yuns posted:

Seems like it would be more important to address their psychological wounds first. Too much toxic macho imagery in Saturday cartoons? Was it the rock music videos? Perhaps computer games and an absent dad?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Blame the consumers. GM's just filling demand.

I mean, kind of? Much of the same could be done with an electric Suburban but it wouldn’t generate the same “omg HUMMER” headlines.

I’m also a bit skeptical but hey ho we’ll see what it actually turns into as a final product.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's also a giant middle finger to aerodynamics. If they are getting good range on that thing, imagine what sort of range they could get on a sensible wagon.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Just gonna say it: we are fully Clockwork Oranging at this point. That thing WILL kill more people than other cars will.

As will Cybertruck. If/when it comes out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

McStephenson posted:

Just gonna say it: we are fully Clockwork Oranging at this point. That thing WILL kill more people than other cars will.

As will Cybertruck. If/when it comes out.

GM, 2024: Employees almost rebelled against the high death toll, but once they started compensating victim families with $69,420 motivation went through the roof.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This should be read by everyone wonder why the gently caress does the crazy rear end vehicle exist. It's GM declaring their hand about what they can do and getting asses into showrooms to sell more bread and butter EV's - it's tech is going into other vehicles eventually as well too. I have no idea what drugged out exec thought of this idea or the people that signed off on the project but daaaaamn they really did a real attention grabber.

I love this glorious monstrosity.

It's not for me, but anything that gets people out of ICE vehicles and into EVs counts as a win in my book.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MrPablo posted:

It's not for me, but anything that gets people out of ICE vehicles and into EVs counts as a win in my book.

Our pedestrians' sacrifice will not be in vain.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrPablo posted:

This is a gross post.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This is a gross post.

agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

poo poo like this hummer and CYBRTRK doesn’t make chuds into Tesla nerds it makes Tesla nerds into chuds.