Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

I dunno, he seems rather married to his job. It's also shown that competent cops in this game tend to have miserable personal relationships. Besides, it's rather odd if he has a boyfriend but doesn't contact him for over a week.

there are only two phones available in all of martinaise, right? the busted one at the whirling and the payphone on the shore? even if he had a boyfriend his only option to contact would probably be the radio in his car. maybe that's why you only get a debriefing on night one: he's busy all the other nights calling his boo.

of course this entire line of questioning is moot because kim kitsuragi's boyfriend is me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

World War Mammories posted:

there are only two phones available in all of martinaise, right? the busted one at the whirling and the payphone on the shore? even if he had a boyfriend his only option to contact would probably be the radio in his car. maybe that's why you only get a debriefing on night one: he's busy all the other nights calling his boo.

of course this entire line of questioning is moot because kim kitsuragi's boyfriend is me

There’s a phone in the union break room.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Wtf, I’ve never seen that meme, but I went to high school with that guy lmao. I’m gonna tell him to play disco elysium

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Roctavian posted:

Also wanted to acknowledge this because 1) you described something really important but 2) it doesn't land the same for everyone.

A white person playing the game, having the option of erasing the racism inherent in their Harry through reloading, is playing the classic neoliberal who won't acknowledge their complicity in structural racism, allowing the idea of "racism is only present in slurs & physical harm" to eclipse more pervasive social inequalities.

A POC playing the game who has been through enough conversations like the one Harry and Kim have after that fuckup? They probably don't need to play that scene out.

But there's no nuanced solution that can support this scene working out for everyone, and ultimately I think this scene is important enough that it belongs in the game.

I don't know what it looks like for videogames to properly tangle with the topic of race: DE depicts racism thoughtful way but doesn't depict anti-racism. There's a lot of reason it doesn't do that or can't do that, and having a fictional history is one of those reasons. Not being able to engage with the player's identity or experiences is another. Harry might be capable of growth and change and that's central to the overall narrative, but where he stands with regards to racism is pretty wide open and unexplored. Dragging around the mug into different conversations is funny but that's some performative woke white folks poo poo if I've ever seen it. Dealing with Measurehead's racism is uncomfortable because he might have an objectively hosed up ideology but "look at you, hypocrite colonized dude -- you have fake ideas because you weren't even born in the culture that you really belong to" is loving toxic if you imagine someone applying that to real-world contemporary race issues. Standing up for Kim is fraught because is this out of inherent goodness? or is it because Harry is desperate for positive attention and treating Kim well is more about his own feelings (like most white people and their relationships with POC)?

Incredible post, really insightful stuff. 'precciate ya.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Kim is a proud member of the homosexual underground.

Different kind of milking then.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
If you constantly fail at asserting yourself as a police officer, you run the risk of becoming the fabled Meltdown Cop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

There’s a phone in the union break room.

oh, right, duh. well kim probably wouldn't use that one either :v:

EorayMel posted:

If you constantly fail at asserting yourself as a police officer, you run the risk of becoming the fabled Meltdown Cop.

lmao I knew you could freak the gently caress out at acele about the hat but I didn't know about this

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

oh so we're just straight up posting spoiler videos now

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I really think it's a shame there's no meltdown coptype/thought.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://csbrannan.itch.io/disco-elysium-game-boy-edition

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

NewMars posted:

I really think it's a shame there's no meltdown coptype/thought.

Meltdowns can happen to anyone

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The 108 Pursuers does sound like something Rincewind would get burdened with

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, what's the deal with copotypes? I'm just about to go to bed at the end of day one, and I feel like I should be ashamed that I've been assigned the 'sorrycop' copotype. I mean, I'm pretty sure I only apologised once, when paying Garte for the damages at the start! Otherwise, I've just tried being a reasonable human being, who's focused on solving the case. :(

But yeah, so does your copotype actually DO anything? Like, more dialogue/self-interactions, or new dialogue options appearing in conversations with others, or?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Some copotypes lead to thoughts. Once you've internalized those thoughts, they provide stat modifiers.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Copotypes are non-exclusive and you can reject them by fighting back against the thought it prompts. You can also choose not to internalize them as thoughts so they have no mechanical effect.

If you didn't want to be the sorry cop, you shouldn't have been so pathetic.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mr. Prokosch posted:

If you didn't want to be the sorry cop, you shouldn't have been so pathetic.

You're right; I'll try and be more of a superstar cop! :D

But alright then, good to know, you two. I guess I can't get any more sorry than this, so I can only improve from here!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There is specifically an ending where Kim acknowledges that you've shown adamant, mutually exclusive beliefs on every single end of the political spectrum all at once and he has no idea how the hell you reconcile them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

you haven't actually failed at anything by being Sorry Cop, it's just the game using good writing to make you feel bad, since that reflects how you chose to make the cop act

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Everyone gets sorry cop their first time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's excellent writing because Day 1 is a series of escalating revelations of Bad Things past Harry did that and the first-time player is desperately trying to do damage control because they don't know just how bad the situation is going to get, then the game sits you down and says "Hey, being meek and apologising to everyone you meet is unlikely to get this murder solved" and you know it's right.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There's just *so* much to be sorry for.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Alchenar posted:

It's excellent writing because Day 1 is a series of escalating revelations of Bad Things past Harry did that and the first-time player is desperately trying to do damage control because they don't know just how bad the situation is going to get, then the game sits you down and says "Hey, being meek and apologising to everyone you meet is unlikely to get this murder solved" and you know it's right.

Being sorry has absolutely zero bearing on Harry's ability to solve the murder.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

In general if, when presented with the choice between "try to be helpful and considerate" or "yell about some crazy nonsense", you normally choose the former, you'll be a sorry cop

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Being sorry has absolutely zero bearing on Harry's ability to solve the murder.

It doesn't actually, but the game is telling you both that being more wilful will a) not send you down a failure spiral of people refusing to help you and b) get better results with people who aren't minded to help you.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
The superstar cop delusion is the classic “male power fantasy” of being so impossibly cool and capable that everyone worships you.

Sorry cop is the “male powerless fantasy” of being so impossibly pathetic and useless that people actually express worry about you. This is still a gratifying fantasy, just for a different kind of person

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

playing disco elysium while wearing a mask and clamps

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

playing disco elysium while wearing a mask and clamps

I can't remember where I read it, maybe here, but someone called Disco a power fantasy for empathy, heroic levels of risk empathy to help people. You're not busting buildings apart or shooting every man like other typical power fantasies

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

The superstar cop delusion is the classic “male power fantasy” of being so impossibly cool and capable that everyone worships you.

Sorry cop is the “male powerless fantasy” of being so impossibly pathetic and useless that people actually express worry about you. This is still a gratifying fantasy, just for a different kind of person

I somehow managed to be both my first time. A sorry superstar

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I apologized once in my entire first playthrough.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Hogama posted:

I apologized once in my entire first playthrough.

Was it to yourself?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
"Sorry cop" is a great way to cut corners and skip right to the part where people tell you that you're a good person but without all the pesky work of actually improving yourself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like it's a common thing for a lot of people of our generations who've grown up having to apologise over and over for everything as a defense mechanism

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
What's an apology?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Saint Freak posted:

What's an apology?

Of all my playthroughs/character builds Half-Light is now my Favorite Skill and I regret not dumping more points into it or Physique as a whole sooner

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
the thing you gotta know about Half-Light is that even though he is your fear reflex he has the widest smile of any of the facets of your psyche. make of that what you will

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Saint Freak posted:

What's an apology?

Aww, you cut off the part where you tell Kim that you should tell people to gently caress off more often.

Edit:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pattonesque posted:

the thing you gotta know about Half-Light is that even though he is your fear reflex he has the widest smile of any of the facets of your psyche. make of that what you will

It's a sign of simian aggression

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I was cop of the apocalypse from the moment I left the hotel room and throughout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The "mean dialogue options in RPGs" meme, but it's "not apologizing in DE" instead.