Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I think it was one of the youtube lefties that posited that with the transition to 24hr news coverage, the relationship between politicians and journalists changed. When there was a finite amount of coverage, politicians had to compete to get their message out through the news. Now with there being far more news than actual happenings and we have direct platforms that politicians can use, it is inverted, and journalists have to compete for acces to politicians. Politicians can just tell journalists to gently caress off and none of them can do anything about it, and if they try it is meaningless.

They can only legitimize the powerful, if they try to do otherwise they just get told where to go and it hurts the news outlet more than the politician.

Sounds like Adam Curtis, or one of the many people repurposing his observations on YT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr Owl posted:

I wonder at what point it was that we veered into the darkest timeline

When Blair became Labour leader.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Mr Owl posted:

I wonder at what point it was that we veered into the darkest timeline

When Gordon Brown didn't call an immediate General Election after becoming PM, and consolidating power when he was at peak popularity.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

When Gordon Brown didn't call an immediate General Election after becoming PM, and consolidating power when he was at peak popularity.

And he spent all the poonds apologising to that racist pensioner he accurately characterised

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jedit posted:

When Blair became Labour leader.

Blair got elected despite having done nothing of great significance, he was even more blatantly a creation of the media than Starmer. So I think we were already on darkest timeline.

When Callaghan became Labour leader.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Must be 2010 when voting tory was finally detoxified and you could vote for them without shame because look they're working with the lib dems and not wearing ties so they cant be the same dead-eyed nutters your mum and dad warned you about

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

If you Google bigot lady, she is still the first result lmbo

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Real answer is when Heath broke the postwar economy by using a bubble as an excuse to cut fundraising mechanisms. He really is one of the country's forgotten villains.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Thatcher busting the printworkers' union was when this country veered into the darkest timeline.

That and Twitter.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Right to Buy stands out to me as a single policy that's caused huge changes and made everything so much worse.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I did all the Parliament QTEs perfectly and collected all the secret pedo dossiers but I keep getting the same ending? Can anyone advise, do I need to do it without saving or finish the Brexit sidequest within the time limit or what

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

They really think they can win a public battle with Rashford don't they?

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1318827870681288706

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ratjaculation posted:

If you Google bigot lady, she is still the first result lmbo

I googled "brown horrible woman" and surprisingly instead of a bunch of racist poo poo it still brought me to Bigot-gate. Thanks Google, still hope you get ruined by antitrust law

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Real answer is when Heath broke the postwar economy by using a bubble as an excuse to cut fundraising mechanisms. He really is one of the country's forgotten villains.
In the grand British tradition he was also a nonce.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This seems the act of a coward/scab

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1318824681261178880?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Also lol wtf

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1318677803240460290?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol instead of calling the Tories out for betraying the north with these lockdowns and lovely funds labour are instead calling for a "fair one nation deal" totally loving useless

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Labour: the party of one nationism

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

kingturnip posted:

But in the case of the Tories, it was never about the research, it was purely ideology.

Yeah, but ideology Is not some kind of plot or conspiracy. It just means the things some identifiable group of people actually believe to be true . If there was solid and accepted evidence for something, then it wouldn’t generally be believed by only that group.

Tories really believe money is real, that the term in the macroeconomic equations Keynes labeled ‘government debt’ is a thing that you simply cannot avoid paying back eventually. Very few of their political actions can’t be traced back to that, and some would even be justifiable if it were true.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It's a hard sell to most people. This thing you spend your entire life worrying about, the thing you chase the most and that everyone says you need more of, that you fight and scrape and twist yourself into a little ball to get a bit more of? The thing you also never discuss as it's not right to talk about it openly... it's all made up, entirely bullshit and is basically more a method of control. Oh and admitting this doesn't mean you're not beholden to it, you're just more angry and upset.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also people have a hard time with the idea that something can be 90% made up by society but also have tremendous weight, so they veer off into either "no it's real and you're deluded" or going all Russell Brand and telling a homeless person that money's just a construct, man.

I'm not going to claim equivalence, but it seems there's other things where similar holds

Unrelated:

Guavanaut posted:

Is there a form of statisticians' pareidolia where you see exponential curves in everything or are we hosed again?

:hotpickle:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

If you plot corona deaths offset by a week or two against hospital admissions you can see that the virus remains as deadly as ever with around 20% of people admitted dying and hospital admissions are rising quickly. That death rate in a week or two is going to be back to hundreds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's already pushing 250, and that's just the recorded ones. FT still hasn't updated the excess deaths chart.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah the govt science guys had their press conference a few weeks back imploring us to do something or else deaths would hit 200 a day. Well, the govt basically did nothing (shutting pubs at 10pm strangely did not solve all the problems), we're past that milestone, and it's only going to get worse.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lmao didn't know this (from the new monbiot article)

quote:

"Why is failure rewarded? Why are contracts issued with so little accountability or transparency? There may be a perfectly reasonable explanation, but you might expect the government’s Anti-Corruption Champion to investigate. Or perhaps not. He is John Penrose MP, Dido Harding’s husband."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just got another NEC ballot email - apparently as an 'affiliate' through Unite, I get to vote on the Welsh rep to the NEC.
Any other Wales persons on here got a recommendation who I should vote for?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1318838867034857472?s=19

I feel like the power might actually belong to the government with a disgusting majority rather than a single footballer.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
drat cant believe Marcus Rashford is going to get done for anti semitism/not wearing enough poppies in about a weeks time

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lets get someone with some real power to sort this out. From looking at the numbers, the one direction lads look to be the most powerful in the UK.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I get that the government is pure unalloyed cackling evil, but surely they must have some PR person explaining that granting a measly sum to feed hungry kids at Christmas would at minimum make them look good.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 21, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If you plot corona deaths offset by a week or two against hospital admissions you can see that the virus remains as deadly as ever with around 20% of people admitted dying and hospital admissions are rising quickly. That death rate in a week or two is going to be back to hundreds.

We really haven't come that far in treating it. Dexamethasone helps improve survival in severe cases, but not by a staggering amount. And for better or worse the culture and organisation of the UK healthcare system means the most vulnerable to the virus (elderly and with severe pre-existing conditions) aren't going to go to intensive care. So there's a narrow window between an infection being severe enough to merit hospitalisation and treatment but not so severe death is inevitable without ventilation.

Basically, brace yourself for a lot more deaths. I'd be surprised if we haven't doubled the current 50,000 figure at least by the time an effective vaccine becomes available.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If Sinovac's CoronaVac is effective (it looks to be safe, but the efficiacy studies are still ongoing) and they go with their stated plan to vaccinate all worldwide healthcare front line staff first through 2021, while the other vaccines in development progress to hopefully protect the vulnerable, do you think the UK will approve that for NHS staff, or is there going to be more Brexit/Trump/Huawei bollocks in the way?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

At what point does the House of Commons recognise Marcus Rashford as the official opposition to the government?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

jabby posted:

We really haven't come that far in treating it. Dexamethasone helps improve survival in severe cases, but not by a staggering amount. And for better or worse the culture and organisation of the UK healthcare system means the most vulnerable to the virus (elderly and with severe pre-existing conditions) aren't going to go to intensive care. So there's a narrow window between an infection being severe enough to merit hospitalisation and treatment but not so severe death is inevitable without ventilation.

Basically, brace yourself for a lot more deaths. I'd be surprised if we haven't doubled the current 50,000 figure at least by the time an effective vaccine becomes available.

A two week offset of deaths against admissions makes the death rate about 5% worse that a week. What kind of length of time do you think is an accurate idea of how long people that die of covid spend in hospital before they die? Sorry thats a bit blunt.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Necrothatcher posted:

I get that the government is pure unalloyed cackling evil, but surely they must have some PR person explaining that granting a measly sum to feed hungry kids at Christmas would at minimum make them look good.

If you're still voting Tory then you simply don't care that they're evil. Either because you're the same kind of evil, or because they are enabling the kind of evil that you like. The Tories have realised this, and now know that they can do whatever they want and it won't affect their vote share.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sounds like Adam Curtis, or one of the many people repurposing his observations on YT

Manufacturing Consent was published in 1988 so we've been going this way a while.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

If Sinovac's CoronaVac is effective (it looks to be safe, but the efficiacy studies are still ongoing) and they go with their stated plan to vaccinate all worldwide healthcare front line staff first through 2021, while the other vaccines in development progress to hopefully protect the vulnerable, do you think the UK will approve that for NHS staff, or is there going to be more Brexit/Trump/Huawei bollocks in the way?

As soon as the UK government starts vaccinating anybody, there's going to be a huge clamour to include other groups. Especially if lockdown restrictions are still in place.

So I can absolutely see the UK delaying vaccination of healthcare workers on some spurious grounds because if they gave it to us, they'd have to answer questions about why not the elderly, cancer patients, transplant patients, front-facing hospitality workers etc. etc. etc. Easier to just say it doesn't work/isn't safe/China bad.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

A two week offset of deaths against admissions makes the death rate about 5% worse that a week. What kind of length of time do you think is an accurate idea of how long people that die of covid spend in hospital before they die? Sorry thats a bit blunt.

It varies a lot, the quickest I've seen was about six hours (bloke didn't even come by ambulance, he came for an outpatient appointment and collapsed on the way in. Felt fine that morning). Longest almost a month. Based on nothing more than my experience I'd say an average of maybe ten days to two weeks? Dexamethasone potentially might slow it down a bit this time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not very much happens in Pyramids does it

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/cabinetofficeuk/status/1318860636084981761
How long is it until January? Oh God is 2020 getting longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Dabir posted:

Not very much happens in Pyramids does it

It does, but it takes '000s of years ....