Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
ahahaha BitMEX are hosed

https://www.cftc.gov/PressRoom/PressReleases/8270-20

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/founders-and-executives-shore-cryptocurrency-derivatives-exchange-charged-violation

and paying ransomware is probably a sanctions violation - welp, there goes the enterprise use case for bitcoin!

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/ofac_ransomware_advisory_10012020_1.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
well surely this is good for bitcoin

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

kumba posted:

well surely this is good for bitcoin

i mean number went up, so

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Wouldn't the sort of crimes they're being charged with be practised by some, or even all, other cryptocurrency exchanges?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

BigBadSteve posted:

Wouldn't the sort of crimes they're being charged with be practised by some, or even all, other cryptocurrency exchanges?

NOW YOU MIGHT THINK THAT

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did no one catch McAfee getting arrested w/ pending US extradition for multiple counts of securities (ICO) fraud??

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Did no one catch McAfee getting arrested w/ pending US extradition for multiple counts of securities (ICO) fraud??

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/5/21503324/john-mcafee-indicted-tax-evasion-sued-doj-sec

going to great lengths to avoid having to eat his own penis I see

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
did he have consensual intercourse with a whale yet?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

I wouldn't know he blocked me on Twitter

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I bought bitcoins to buy drugs and so far in the past 6 hours I've had either not enough or more than I started with at least twice.

Lol.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Another thing bitcoin is destroying, your friendly neighborhood dealer.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

spankmeister posted:

Locking in that DeHigh value.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Well he's been selling me weed (no legal green here) pumped full of growth regulators that lower the thc content and up the plant matter so I hope it does destroy him.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Shumagorath posted:

He directly and publicly taunted the feds last year, and has about a couple orders of magnitude less money than 'billion' so can't just dickslap the US government and get away with it unlike Musk.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Shumagorath posted:

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1314641810564747264

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

This is the worst limerick I've ever seen.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:hmmyes:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Say, I think this sharp fella might be on to something here!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idgi, why does anyone need a CBDC? What problem is it trying to find? The vast majority of cash isn't in a physical form. Depending on the economy the consumer is going to be using digital methods to pay for almost everything thing and each other with EFTPOS, credit cards or mobile. Hell I have never gotten a pay cheque, always a payslip as it goes straight to my bank account. Interbank transactions are digital. Like what makes a CBDC special other than buttcoin?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

oohhboy posted:

idgi, why does anyone need a CBDC? What problem is it trying to find? The vast majority of cash isn't in a physical form. Depending on the economy the consumer is going to be using digital methods to pay for almost everything thing and each other with EFTPOS, credit cards or mobile. Hell I have never gotten a pay cheque, always a payslip as it goes straight to my bank account. Interbank transactions are digital. Like what makes a CBDC special other than buttcoin?

*psst* nothing whatsoever. Unless you are literally a banker, it's back-end plumbing you have zero reason to give a hoot about.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

divabot posted:

*psst* nothing whatsoever. Unless you are literally a banker, it's back-end plumbing you have zero reason to give a hoot about.

The only time we care is when it's compromised and we get a hilarious retrospective about how it turns out the only reason it didn't happen before is nobody outside the 12 major banking groups knew all you had to do to get an arbitrary amount of cash wired to you was the digital equivalent of 'gieb money plz' in the correct format to the right system.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The only time we care is when it's compromised and we get a hilarious retrospective about how it turns out the only reason it didn't happen before is nobody outside the 12 major banking groups knew all you had to do to get an arbitrary amount of cash wired to you was the digital equivalent of 'gieb money plz' in the correct format to the right system.

You think this is hyperbole, but it ain’t. Swift is hilariously broken and basically a straw for criminals to suck money out of banks (including the one I work for).

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Rabbi T. White posted:

You think this is hyperbole, but it ain’t. Swift is hilariously broken and basically a straw for criminals to suck money out of banks (including the one I work for).

That's the name of it! I remember reading something a while back where some criminals managed to make a fake bank and got tons of overnight lending given to them via it before disappearing that same night. Or something to that effect.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At one of my previous jobs at a fund manager we'd get million dollar buy/sell orders via fax and the only verification was checking the sender's name/number at the top of the page matched what we had on file for that client.

You know the freetext string you configure in your fax machine software...

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

He's gonna get shanked lol

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Holy poo poo, the mail exchange of Ross Ulbricht "buying" multiple assassination from a guy pretending to be the Hell's Angels leader is absolutely insane and beyond parody and everyone should read it. From the very beginning it's clear that everyone involved, the "victims", their business partners and the HA assassins are just the same guy running a scam and don't really exist, but Ulbricht bites immediately and just starts sending the "HA leader" hundreds of thousands of dollars in bitcoins after exchanging only two emails with him. At one point the HA leader tries peddling him all kinds of ~special deals~, discounts and upgrade packages and ulbricht just wires him 500k(that was for a special package deal for ordering hits in bulk (4 at once) cause then the Hell's Angels Organization could save on travel expenses for their out of town hitmen and pass the savings on to him)

There is definitely something wrong with Ulbricht. Either the dude is mentally impaired or a high functioning autists or something

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's what happens when an asocial programming whiz kid gets involved with anyone possessing criminal soft skills.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

There is definitely something wrong with Ulbricht. Either the dude is mentally impaired or a high functioning autists or something

From a rich family, so strong "how much could a banana cost, $10?" Energy.

If the fake hitman/victim came forward, what kind of charges could be laid against him?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
maybe fraud, because he never intended to provide the services being offered.

probably tax evasion lol

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
this is perfectly normal, it happens with banks all the time that one guy being arrested means everything shuts down and you can't get your money any more

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is crypto at the point of replaying the Savings and Loan Crisis or did they already blunder through that episode of rediscovering and re-enacting every problem of capitalism to date?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savings_and_loan_crisis

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
cryptcurrency

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

:bitcoin:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is crypto at the point of replaying the Savings and Loan Crisis or did they already blunder through that episode of rediscovering and re-enacting every problem of capitalism to date?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savings_and_loan_crisis

crypto exchanges go insolvent all the time, and their owners grabbing for desperate gambles that lose even more money is also common. and you can't have a failure of regulation if you never had regulation in the first place. *taps head*

Anyways, crytpo has finished with repeating every known failure in the history of real world finances; Defi is now re-enacting a financial fraud that exists in Eve Online.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Klyith posted:

Anyways, crytpo has finished with repeating every known failure in the history of real world finances; Defi is now re-enacting a financial fraud that exists in Eve Online.

Would appreciate a link to a companion piece to this. I don’t play EO, but I will admit as an MMO player since EQ day 1, Eve has always been a lot of fun to read about post-happening with wisdom of hindsight and a “wrapping up” finish when the scam or meta is resolved (much how being a caregiver to my 98/95 yo grandmothers with Alzheimer’s means I sit in front of Memaw’s TV a lot). My favorite show now is American Greed on Court TV.

It’s always a Ponzi.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Has ghostits shown up with another meaningless graph? I feel like a bunch of unexplained squiggles on unmarked axes will surely rebut this point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A big theme with bitcoiners is that they're stupid, but they think they're smart and everyone else is dumber than they are, so they're constantly ripping off each other with obvious scams, and think that other people will be impressed by random charts and buzzwords that don't mean anything.

Reminded of that r/relationships post where a guy is trying to lie to his girlfriend but sucks at it, when she points out he's trying to pass off an old cable box as a laptop he just stares and goes. "...how do you always catch me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

kw0134 posted:

Has ghostits shown up with another meaningless graph? I feel like a bunch of unexplained squiggles on unmarked axes will surely rebut this point.

Number appears to have gone up so expect him to show up to gloat again soon.