Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Turns out you can be what in professional parlance is know as "kind of a loving dumbass" and still be more or less a functional/proficient on stuff you do for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

Moroha has her mother's charisma but her dad's brains

this is incredibly accurate

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Turns out you can be what in professional parlance is know as "kind of a loving dumbass" and still be more or less a functional/proficient on stuff you do for a living.

You just described every single engineer across the planet. :v:

Watched the first episode of Kuma Bear. Is there a prequel of some kind? I feel like I walked into a show halfway through its run since the main character is so stupidly powerful. Bear costume is amazing though.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i haven't watched it but from what i saw from people posting about it the first episode is entirely in medias res and wasn't very clear about that

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

The first episode is definitely in medias res, while the second episode goes more into how things got started in the first place. That said, it's not really convinced me to keep watching it - I'll see if episode 3 helps its case any, but I'm ready to drop it at any moment.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Second episode of ZUERST was good, though one of the MCs needs to grow some balls. That or go full-on corrupt.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Mordja posted:

Second episode of ZUERST was good, though one of the MCs needs to grow some balls. That or go full-on corrupt.

Nah, I'm finding him way more interesting than the other characters because clearly he feels poo poo about being a coward but ends up making some "courageous" choices. More relatable a character than someone who's full on shounen and completely devoted to some ideal.

Definitely seems like an intriguing show so far. Execution seems great too, feels like it has the potential for being my personal AOTY.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is it me or is there a weird trend of shows starting Ep1 with a weirdo timeskip scene (Bookworm) that teases something later on?

Like reminds me of that opening to Gurren Lagan.

Also, I Stand on 1M Lives is pretty fun abusing the respawn.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's not a weird trend, it's an ancient storytelling device that's widely used across all media

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
starting in media res is a very deliberate decision by any storyteller and there is no reason to complain when it happens

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Phobophilia posted:

starting in media res is a very deliberate decision by any storyteller and there is no reason to complain when it happens

Ehh, in medias res openings are pointless 98% of the time.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they're used a lot in tv because you need to hook viewers in the first episode and not all stories have particularly exciting bits in the first 20 minutes worth of material, so you do it to show the eventual stakes or set up a little mystery as a hook

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

Eh, I thought they both had their moments. Inumael did something extremely brave despite being dragged into an intensely traumatic conflict he had zero stake in and zero aptitude for, and Leocardio saw his best friend's killer free a crucial intelligence asset and chose not to speak out because it was the right thing to do.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like in medias res openers

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, I thought they both had their moments. Inumael did something extremely brave despite being dragged into an intensely traumatic conflict he had zero stake in and zero aptitude for, and Leocardio saw his best friend's killer free a crucial intelligence asset and chose not to speak out because it was the right thing to do.

I wasn't entirely clear that he did recognize it was him because, yeah, that would make all the difference.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38GhWY-cLtQ

January 8th:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phobophilia posted:

No, I get that.

I mean the use of literally a scene in S2 E8 or whatever at the start of the first episode. Some bullshit like

>Giant Dragon Lands, countryside is aflame>
"Oh no, I'm out of MANA, I think this is--"

"I WON'T LET YOU DESTROY MY FRIENDS.... AGAIN!"

>smash to title card>

Like the whole story just loops out of that to "Hey I'm some rear end in a top hat and OH poo poo I DIED?" and then picks up from there.
I guess I'm just used to in media res then continuing from that point and the viewer picking things up as they go along.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

opening in the middle of a story and continuing from there is in media res. opening in the middle of a story and then going back to the start is better defined as prolepsis. they're both very common storytelling devices.

cowboy bebop is an example of the former (spike and vicious's story has basically already 90% happened and the viewer is left to pick up on those details as it reaches its conclusion). gurren lagann is an example of the latter. (it starts at the antispiral war and then flashes back to how they got there, without ever flashing back to the antispiral war until the plot reaches it).

something that jumps back and forth is a non-linear narrative. like concrete revolutio.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Are they making another season after this?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Has anybody posted translations of the opening and closing themes to "Sleepy Princess?"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Even Demon King is scared of lewding the sleepy princess. :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

I wasn't entirely clear that he did recognize it was him because, yeah, that would make all the difference.

He glared at him and then followed his squad leader without saying anything. I think he knew who he was.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In medias res is really cool when done rigjt but can sorta feel "draggy" if you lean to much inti it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, I think the big problem is when they throw information at you before they give you a reason to care.

Or the too-common approach of starting with a fight scene which has zero tension because I have no idea who anyone is or what the stakes are

e: that said, still better than the non-in-media-res stuff that opens with a lecture about the political geography of the fantasy world

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a good in media res opening is ff7 because they give you an idea of the situation (these are ecoterrorists bombing a factory of an evil corporation, the protag is a mercenary they hired, he has a childhood connection to one of the terrorists) quickly and then actually use the fact that the story started a bit of the way in to play with your expectations and assumptions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah, I think the big problem is when they throw information at you before they give you a reason to care.

Or the too-common approach of starting with a fight scene which has zero tension because I have no idea who anyone is or what the stakes are

e: that said, still better than the non-in-media-res stuff that opens with a lecture about the political geography of the fantasy world

starting with a fight scene works when it is a really good fight scene

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh crap, my sugar levels.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I do enjoy about Magatsu is that it's basically just Code Geass if both Lelouch and Suzaku were ordinary working-class teenagers rather than brilliant aristocratic ubermensch.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mordja posted:

Are they making another season after this?

The manga's been finished for a while, so there's not really any material or reason for making another season.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also the movie should be covering the last of the material too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah. Gintama is actually over. For real this time. Know that's hard to believe, but.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I sincerely wonder if Sorachi's wish came true and he finally achieved his final form.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his final form is still a gorilla

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
You all need to be watching Talentless Nana. This show rules, and it is absolutely not the generic MHA ripoff it seems to be for most of the first episode.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Maxwell Adams posted:

You all need to be watching Talentless Nana. This show rules, and it is absolutely not the generic MHA ripoff it seems to be for most of the first episode.

Eh, I really didn't like the second episode. They spent all of like 5 seconds on the kill and it just left me confused as to what actually happened there.

If you've ever had to give a speech that's timed and you realize that you're running out of time and have to wrap up the speech and end up giving a sloppy and rushed conclusion. That's what the second episode felt like.

Haven't even bothered to watch after that.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 21, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arist posted:

Ehh, in medias res openings are pointless 98% of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ-Z_DW0AuE&t=47s

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

his final form is still a gorilla
Utter failure, then. :sigh:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Talentless Nana dangled out a bait in episode 1, and snagged me in 2. Episode 2 was so goddamn chilling, i actually shivered at the end. drat. Thanks for the recommendation.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Nitrousoxide posted:

Eh, I really didn't like the second episode. They spent all of like 5 seconds on the kill and it just left me confused as to what actually happened there.

If you've ever had to give a speech that's timed and you realize that you're running out of time and have to wrap up the speech and end up giving a sloppy and rushed conclusion. That's what the second episode felt like.

Haven't even bothered to watch after that.

Nana used dirt to cover up part of the frozen lake. The time traveller warped back onto the same location, before it was covered with ice and soil, fell into the water, and drowned.

I think it's a fun show. There's a word Nana is using to describe Kyoya which they're translating as fuccboi, ora-tsute. The heck is up with that word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
D4DJ First Mix aired its first episode online as a "preview" today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkRrkmdZ7Mk (turn on CC for subtitles)

I've never seen a female protagonist as full of dumb energy as Rinku. Usually they have at least some thought processes running.