Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Zero VGS posted:

I figure this is the closest thread to what I'm looking for. I don't want a credit card recommendation, but rather an online bank recommendation:

- I have multiple tenants who pay rent, they like to pay late or in weird partial amounts so it is extremely difficult to track. My current bank account I can't even review the check images (I can see imaged of checks I write but not those I deposit) so I have to rifle through my paper copies and figure things out. Worse yet the bank only lets me go back 6 months online.

- There's also security deposits which legally I'm supposed to keep in separate accounts and track interest on to give back to them. My current bank doesn't let me name the accounts and sometimes when I do an online check deposit it goes into the wrong account and fucks everything up

- My bank allows me to deposit checks by phone but they have a $3000 limit. Sometimes I have bigger checks than that (like if someone is catching up on a late payment) and I don't want to have to drive to a branch.

So is there some kind of online bank that has:

1) Really long transaction history (preferably go back to the beginning of time with images of all checks incoming and outgoing)

2) Allows me to make lots of named sub-accounts

3) Can do a mobile phone check deposit of very large amounts

You don’t need a bank; you need a bookkeeper. That might be you, but somebody should be doing the bookkeeping work for your business, and “the bank” is not an acceptable answer.

Banks, large and small, screw things up surprisingly often - you’ve already experienced this. You need to keep your own records, both for your own sake and your tenants’. You should not depend on the bank holding a permanent record every transaction back to the beginning of time. You should be the one keeping those records, and you should be reconciling them against what the bank tells you.

You should probably talk to a lawyer about the specific requirements for holding security deposits in your state (and maybe city/county). If you are required to hold each tenant’s deposit in a separate account, there will be a standard process, and banks and lawyers will be familiar with it. There are also other potential requirements around escrow, which vary widely by location, that you should at least look into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I would look into business checking accounts, if your bank detects activity that looks like a business it could close the account immediately without warning.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

FunOne posted:

BofA has 18m history and mobile check deposits cap at 50 or 100k a month. Something like that. The named account thing might be more of a pain though. I thought local banks were usually the ones setup for these kind of businesses.

I use Fidelity, which has a 50k/month deposit cap for virtual check deposits, checking/savings history goes back for at least 2+ years (since I started with them), and I'm not sure if you can make subaccounts, but you can make infinite checking/savings accounts and rename them however you want. Downside is obviously that they don't have branches nationally - only their investment offices in select locations.

edit:

quote:

I would look into business checking accounts, if your bank detects activity that looks like a business it could close the account immediately without warning.

This is the real answer.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Hadlock posted:

I guess I'm on the hook for buying a bunch of apple poo poo

Is it worth it to get the Apple card? Looks like 3% off, which doesn't quite nullify the sales tax, but close enough, plus I can put it on a 0% apr payment plan (could buy it in cash but, nah)

Apple card has a pretty good credit limit right? And no annual fee? Any other cards I should consider? I have just an Amex and two scrub tier cards right now

It's a premium card, but if you are in their region, you could look into the USBank Altitude Reserve.. If you pay with Apple Pay and redeem for travel (whenever that becomes palatable again), you can get roughly 4.5% back on your Apple purchases.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Just as an FYI, last year I renewed YNAB through the iOS app and kind of forgot about it.

I got an Apple Card last month and was pleasantly surprised when I found out at that the 3% cashback applied to my YNAB renewal, which is not something I can usually get coded as anything more than 1% back on any card.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Amex sent me the latest copies of their "Departures" magazines, typically featuring high end travel to exotic destinations like Bali and Tanzania etc

October is "The America Issue"
Fall 2020 is "Home remodeling"

:regd20::hmmrona:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Goon Credit Card random referral page: :siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

I did some housekeeping on this. I'm considering going through every month and checking to see if links are still active, but I really care too much. I may automate it. I'll let you know.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Discover It links weren't working for me last night either. I just got stuck on a "We're checking your referral link, please wait" sort of page.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

literally this big posted:

Discover It links weren't working for me last night either. I just got stuck on a "We're checking your referral link, please wait" sort of page.

I noticed that. I think it's a system issue. I'll click em all and check tomorrow.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm out of CC debt because my mom's life insurance wiped out everything but very low interest student loans and the last 2-3 years on my car loan. I still have a shitload of credit cards. I'd love to close at least anything with a with 30% and get either rewards or points (whatever those two terms mean) when I spend money on my 2% cash back card so I can do whatever travel and reward poo poo they offer. Any advice is appreciated.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

GWBBQ posted:

I'm out of CC debt because my mom's life insurance wiped out everything but very low interest student loans and the last 2-3 years on my car loan. I still have a shitload of credit cards. I'd love to close at least anything with a with 30% and get either rewards or points (whatever those two terms mean) when I spend money on my 2% cash back card so I can do whatever travel and reward poo poo they offer. Any advice is appreciated.

Not sure how to say this in a tactful manner, but maybe credit cards are not for you.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

As long as they are being paid off immediately (pay in full each statement), it's fine to use them as a replacement for debit cards. There are a lot of good rewards cards out there; if OP doesn't have a Chase Freedom Flex that's a pretty solid choice this quarter with 5% back on Walmart and Paypal. As a one-time special offer it also comes with 5% back on your first $12k of grocery purchases during the first year, and there's a $200 signup bonus on the first $500 spent in the first 3 months on whatever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CubicalSucrose posted:

Not sure how to say this in a tactful manner, but maybe credit cards are not for you.

Or anyone who is considering them based on interest rates.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I have more than a dozen credit cards and I honestly don't know what the APR is on any of them. It'll never matter because the whole point of credit card rewards is to never, ever run a balance from month to month.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

saintonan posted:

I have more than a dozen credit cards and I honestly don't know what the APR is on any of them. It'll never matter because the whole point of credit card rewards is to never, ever run a balance from month to month.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

First off, condolences regarding your mom, I hope my kids never have to use my life insurance policy but that's what it's there for.

Second, it's quite alright to use credit cards for normal every day spending, but hearing someone say they have "a shitload" of credit cards who is also eyeing the APR on them, doesn't sound great from a financial fitness perspective. I'd really focus on paying off all your debt if possible. 2-3 years on a car loan is a long time left. The first car I bought out of college had a 3 year loan and I paid it off in 2 because I didn't like staring at the debt every month. Now I try to buy cars outright or get whatever 0% financing they offer.

If you are really focused on paying off debt, try to find a 0% balance transfer offer. Off the cuff I found that that Citibank Double Cash card (https://citicards.citi.com/usc/LPACA/Citi/Cards/DoubleCash/External_HA/index.html) offers 2% cashback on everything (assuming you pay at least the minimum balance every month), and gives you an 18 month 0% interest offer on balance transfers. What this typically means is you pay a nominal fee (3% or so) on money you want to draw out, and use to pay existing debt. Some places will offer you a few checks to write to the loan companies, others will let you just write a check to yourself. You absolutely have to pay the minimum payment every month during the intro period, and pay off everything by the end of the intro period, otherwise you'll be in a worse spot than you are in now.

If you are dedicated to wiping off your debt, this can be a great way to do it, but that's assuming you can qualify for the card, a high enough credit line to cover existing debt, and be responsible. If you can't commit to paying things off in 18 months, don't do it.

Once debt is taken care of, close out whatever cards you don't plan on using anymore, except maybe a small handful (ideally 3-4 of your oldest/highest line cards to maintain history), and look for some cards based on your goals. If you have some big things coming up, look into cards with sign up bonuses, if you just want straight cash back, that Citi card or a Fidelity 2% card are good bets.

Bank fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 17, 2020

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
WRT closing cards:

- You should avoid closing a card that is your oldest by a margin, because credit history length is a significant factor in a credit score. You can request your credit report to find out the issue dates of your cards.
- Aside from that, cards should be kept or closed according to the terms they offer you going forward.
- You should not carry a balance at all, but you especially should not do it on a card that has a penalty rate (upper 20s). You can typically renegotiate such a rate after six months of good behavior, making it clear to the service rep that you are in the process of adjusting your card lineup.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 17, 2020

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page: :siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

I did some housekeeping on this. I'm considering going through every month and checking to see if links are still active, but I really care too much. I may automate it. I'll let you know.

FYI you have a "Hilton Surpass" and "Hilton Ascend" tab, but they're the same card?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Small White Dragon posted:

FYI you have a "Hilton Surpass" and "Hilton Ascend" tab, but they're the same card?

Ascend doesn't exist anymore. There are three Amex Hilton cards - the base one, Surpass, and Aspire.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

saintonan posted:

Ascend doesn't exist anymore. There are three Amex Hilton cards - the base one, Surpass, and Aspire.

I mean the Ascend used to be called Surpass, and then was changed back to Surpass.

Point is there's two tabs for the same card.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Small White Dragon posted:

I mean the Ascend used to be called Surpass, and then was changed back to Surpass.

Point is there's two tabs for the same card.

I think I fixed this as requested. Please feel free to keep PMing me minute things to tweak on this page, thanks.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I don't know if there's a general "bank account" thread, but I wanted to note that Ally recently hosed with their CD rules for their online banking. I wanted to close out one of my no-penalty CDs, but they no longer let you do so through their website and explicitly require that you do so by phone. For some reason they jerked me around on the call and it ended up taking 30 minutes to empty the stupid no-penalty CD into my savings account. I asked why they were making me call to do this and the rep let me know that they were informed about the change last month and given no explanation.

Huge PITA.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
YMMV I think. I closed a no penalty CD to get a sweet bonus from Chase and also had to call. I think they are just trying to make it a bit harder to take cash out. Honestly it almost worked for me as I was feeling lazy.

The CSR asked a bunch of questions but it was all for security and all said and done it took about 10 minutes including hold time.

30 minutes is a long time to get access to your own money though, and I really preferred doing it all on the website/app.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CubicalSucrose posted:

No offense taken. I've spent the past 12 years carrying myself, my mom (who was laid off in 2008 and awful with money before then), and my brother until he finished college, and I managed a lot of that by taking out whatever card I could to pay bills, medical bills, or afford groceries. I've paid them all off and I'm asking for advice because I know everything before now was the worst possible way to live and I'm trying to do better than that going forward.

Motronic posted:

Or anyone who is considering them based on interest rates.
That was a big deal when I knew I would max out every card fast and hope I would be able to pay it off someday. I'll take that as a lesson now that they're all paid off and my only debts are a low interest car loan and subsidized student loans.

Bank posted:

First off, condolences regarding your mom, I hope my kids never have to use my life insurance policy but that's what it's there for.

Second, it's quite alright to use credit cards for normal every day spending, but hearing someone say they have "a shitload" of credit cards who is also eyeing the APR on them, doesn't sound great from a financial fitness perspective. I'd really focus on paying off all your debt if possible. 2-3 years on a car loan is a long time left. The first car I bought out of college had a 3 year loan and I paid it off in 2 because I didn't like staring at the debt every month. Now I try to buy cars outright or get whatever 0% financing they offer.

If you are really focused on paying off debt, try to find a 0% balance transfer offer. Off the cuff I found that that Citibank Double Cash card (https://citicards.citi.com/usc/LPACA/Citi/Cards/DoubleCash/External_HA/index.html) offers 2% cashback on everything (assuming you pay at least the minimum balance every month), and gives you an 18 month 0% interest offer on balance transfers. What this typically means is you pay a nominal fee (3% or so) on money you want to draw out, and use to pay existing debt. Some places will offer you a few checks to write to the loan companies, others will let you just write a check to yourself. You absolutely have to pay the minimum payment every month during the intro period, and pay off everything by the end of the intro period, otherwise you'll be in a worse spot than you are in now.

If you are dedicated to wiping off your debt, this can be a great way to do it, but that's assuming you can qualify for the card, a high enough credit line to cover existing debt, and be responsible. If you can't commit to paying things off in 18 months, don't do it.

Once debt is taken care of, close out whatever cards you don't plan on using anymore, except maybe a small handful (ideally 3-4 of your oldest/highest line cards to maintain history), and look for some cards based on your goals. If you have some big things coming up, look into cards with sign up bonuses, if you just want straight cash back, that Citi card or a Fidelity 2% card are good bets.
Thanks, it's still tough regarding my mom but I'm slowly getting past it. I have a shitload of cards with 0 balance because that's how I survived like I mentioned above.

I'm asking because I honestly don't know whether it's better to leave them open and sitting there unused or close them. I got a big insurance check for a relatively minor accident in August and I decided to suck it up and just put that money toward the loan (paid off almost a quarter of it) and live with the dents and scratches. I'll treat myself to the body work and paint correction once the loan is paid off assuming it's within my budget.

Right now I can comfortably pay off everything I spend each month (any spending goes on whatever gets the most cash back) so based on everyone's advice I'm going to close any cards I don't use (like the ones opened for first purchase bonuses) and just keep the oldest two for the 20 year credit history and continue doing any spending I would normally do with cash on the cards that do give rewards and keep them paid off every month.

My big uncertainty was whether it's better to have a higher utilization to limit ratio (currently <1%) or just get rid of the cards I don't use or plan to use. I'm also jealous of family and friends who say things like "oh, we just travel for free on points" but I guess that's not really something I should worry about as long as I'm not getting back into debt. Not like it's any fun to travel these days anyway.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 21, 2020

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

GWBBQ posted:

I'm asking because I honestly don't know whether it's better to leave them open and sitting there unused or close them. I got a big insurance check for a relatively minor accident in August and I decided to suck it up and just put that money toward the loan (paid off almost a quarter of it) and live with the dents and scratches. I'll treat myself to the body work and paint correction once the loan is paid off assuming it's within my budget.

Right now I can comfortably pay off everything I spend each month (any spending goes on whatever gets the most cash back) so based on everyone's advice I'm going to close any cards I don't use (like the ones opened for first purchase bonuses) and just keep the oldest two for the 20 year credit history and continue doing any spending I would normally do with cash on the cards that do give rewards and keep them paid off every month.

My big uncertainty was whether it's better to have a higher utilization to limit ratio (currently <1%) or just get rid of the cards I don't use or plan to use. I'm also jealous of family and friends who say things like "oh, we just travel for free on points" but I guess that's not really something I should worry about as long as I'm not getting back into debt. Not like it's any fun to travel these days anyway.

Sorry to hear about your mom.

If the cards don't have annual fees, and you're willing to deal with the tiny hassle of keeping an eye on them for odd charges, then you might as well keep them open. But, with 20 years of good history on other cards, it's also not going to kill you to close anything with an annual fee or even just consolidate down to a couple of cards.

Utilization typically doesn't have a history in credit score calculations, so if you find yourself planning to take out a car loan or mortgage a house, you can just aggressively pay down your cards and use debit for a couple of months to drive utilization super low. The banks don't mind this - by dropping your utilization on demand, you're actively showing that you can keep your debt under control and manipulate your credit card balances, which makes loaning you money a low-risk affair.

I'd probably close any card you don't expect to ever use again, but either way, it's not going to be a big deal.

Regularly traveling for free on points really only happens for people who can put a lot of money through their cards, or who have some other way to rack up loyalty points and miles (usually, regular work travel on an expense account, living that Mon-Thurs consultant/sales/traveling trainer life). Without pumping a bunch of other people's money through your accounts, travel points picked up though credit card spend might help pay for an economy flight every once in a while, or a few hotel nights, but they're not going to make you a fixture in your local airport first class lounge or at five-star hotel suites in exotic destinations.

Given the state of the world and the tourism industry right now, I'd probably avoid trying to game travel loyalty programs right now, and just take cash back and budget separately for travel. Take it from somebody who's seen a bunch of Marriott suite night awards evaporate in 2020: travel benefits are nice, but cash is king.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Makes sense. I already closed the ones with fees, and I check for odd charges when I pay monthly bills. I do pretty much all of my spending on either my Amazon Chase card for 1% cashback or 5% on Amazon, and anything covered under the quarterly 5% back on Discover IT. I do not carry a balance on anything anymore.

You're right about traveling now, I'm not planning on until things calm down and there's a COVID vaccine available. I'm just looking forward to it because my family has been broke and in loads of debt most of my life and I was never able to afford to travel. I'll just settle down and throw extra money at student loans and the car loan to get those out of the way faster.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
What's a good setup for 2020 as far as every day cards go? I have:

Discover It for whatever 5% categories that quarter
Chase Freedom for same
Citi Double Cash for everything else.

I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred but I think I'm going to cancel, because I'm not going to be using its main draw anytime soon (lol traveling) so the extra .25% when redeeming points for traveling is not worth the $95.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

You're right about traveling now, I'm not planning on until things calm down and there's a COVID vaccine available. I'm just looking forward to it because my family has been broke and in loads of debt most of my life and I was never able to afford to travel. I'll just settle down and throw extra money at student loans and the car loan to get those out of the way faster.

This isn't really about "travel vs. no-travel" - if you want to travel, you have the means, and you're willing to sacrifice other potential goals, then you should be able to make that work! It's just about the best way to go about actually saving up resources - points or cash - that you can use when you want to go somewhere.

I'd argue that you should be dreaming about where you might want to go, looking at prices occasionally, and saving at least a token amount of cash every month in your travel dream fund. When you burn the loans to the ground, then use some of that newly freed cash flow to step up your contribution to your travel savings.

But - points aren't going to get you there by themselves, unless you're either already traveling on other people's money and scooping the points off the top, or spending poo poo-tons of money elsewhere. Credit card companies, and the travel companies that sell them points for their cardholders, love to promote the idea that you, an ordinary person who just happens to use their card for everyday expenses, will be able to take fantastic luxury vacations at no cost to you. That's a lie. People love to chase the dream, but the real purpose of those programs is to reward big, frequent spenders - almost exclusively business travelers who are in the air or a hotel several times per month at minimum.

As a non-big-spender, the biggest benefits you'll see from travel cards will be signup bonuses, followed by ancillary perks (status bumps, insurance coverage, Priority Pass in Asia, etc). You can get those a few months before you leave - and you won't be sitting around trying to figure out how to use your Marriott points when you really want to stay in a Hyatt property, wishing you could book flights on a SkyTeam airline with your OneWorld-friendly miles, or staring in horror at a point devaluation notice that wrecks your plans. And, if any financial emergency comes up between when you start saving and your departure date, you can always break into a cash piggy bank. Cashing out loyalty points usually ranges from a kind-of-bad deal (Chase) to effectively impossible (any hotel or airline).

So: dream about travel, save up for travel, and work card perks and signup bonuses before you leave, because leisure travel is loving amazing - but use cash-back cards and save up cash to book your trip.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Moneyball posted:

I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred but I think I'm going to cancel, because I'm not going to be using its main draw anytime soon (lol traveling) so the extra .25% when redeeming points for traveling is not worth the $95.

The Pay Yourself Back thing has really redeemed that card for me - I can take the 5% cb I get on the freedom cards, transfer it to the Sapphire, then use those points with the bonus to offset restaurant purchases that I'm getting 2% back on anyway.

Otherwise you've got a decent setup, about the only thing I could suggest is an AMEX Blue Cash card for percentages off groceries. Blue Cash Everyday is 3% back with no annual fee, and Blue Cash Preferred is 6% back up to $6k a year with a $95 annual fee. If you spend less than $3166 a year (~60 a week) on groceries, get the Everyday. If you spend between $60 and ~$120 a week on groceries, get the Preferred, since the additional cash back will more than offset the annual fee. If you spend considerably more than $120 a week on groceries, you probably have a family, and you should look into getting your spouse/partner a Preferred of their own so you can max out double the $6000 annual grocery cap.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I like the Citi Costco card. It has:

4% gas (ok maybe not relevant for remote workers)
3% restaurant
3% travel (ok not relevant now)
2% Costco (can’t use the MasterCard Citi DoubleCash in US Costco’s, I think)

With no annual fee (except for Costco membership fee—although someone in the Costco thread was explaining that you don’t have to auto-bill the Costco membership on the card, like I do)

Cash back is only redeemable once a year, in physical cash though.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 21, 2020

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

saintonan posted:

The Pay Yourself Back thing has really redeemed that card for me - I can take the 5% cb I get on the freedom cards, transfer it to the Sapphire, then use those points with the bonus to offset restaurant purchases that I'm getting 2% back on anyway.

Otherwise you've got a decent setup, about the only thing I could suggest is an AMEX Blue Cash card for percentages off groceries. Blue Cash Everyday is 3% back with no annual fee, and Blue Cash Preferred is 6% back up to $6k a year with a $95 annual fee. If you spend less than $3166 a year (~60 a week) on groceries, get the Everyday. If you spend between $60 and ~$120 a week on groceries, get the Preferred, since the additional cash back will more than offset the annual fee. If you spend considerably more than $120 a week on groceries, you probably have a family, and you should look into getting your spouse/partner a Preferred of their own so you can max out double the $6000 annual grocery cap.

Saw this at TPG - https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-sapphire-grocery-bonus/

quote:

Today, Chase is announcing new grocery benefits for Sapphire cardholders that will last well into 2021.

Want more credit card news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter!

Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders will earn 3x on up to $1,000 in monthly grocery store purchases, while Chase Sapphire Preferred Card members will earn 2x on up to $1,000 in monthly grocery store purchases. This new bonus category starts Nov. 1, 2020, and goes through April 30, 2021.

The new grocery bonus category is a solid addition to both cards’ lineups. You’ll now earn a 6% return on groceries with the Reserve and a 4% return with the Preferred, according to TPG valuations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'm going to wait two years and maybe get the Reserve. Actually with my future plans to get a condo in a place where the only parking option is a monthly garage pass, it's a no brainer.

That trick still works right? 48 months and you're eligible for a signup bonus again?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chase has a new card called "Freedom Flex" that has a signup bonus of 5% on groceries for the first year or like $10k spending whichever comes first

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Moneyball posted:

What's a good setup for 2020 as far as every day cards go? I have:

Discover It for whatever 5% categories that quarter
Chase Freedom for same
Citi Double Cash for everything else.

Consider a US Bank Cash+, you choose two 5% categories from their list:
https://cashplus.usbank.com/merchants/index

Recommended picks:
Home Utilities
TV, Internet, and Streaming

Moneyball posted:

I'm going to wait two years and maybe get the Reserve. Actually with my future plans to get a condo in a place where the only parking option is a monthly garage pass, it's a no brainer.

That trick still works right? 48 months and you're eligible for a signup bonus again?

48 months since you last got any Sapphire card's bonus, as far as I know.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Got denied a couple times for the US Bank card. Looked nice for things other cards don't cover.
Took me a couple tries to get the Discover card, so I'm sure I'll be approved eventually.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Paypal 5% on Chase is so bittersweet when I have to pay an extra bunch of charges to use the CC to send F&F compared to my regular account, but still works out worthwhile. Grumble grumble. (My mother in law doesn't have a working Paypal account so I send up to about $1,000 in charity donations for her and she pays me back at the end of the month, having the bonus money from it is nice at least!)

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Note that the 6% and 4% are based on TPG valuing UR at 2 points each, which only really counts if you're redeeming them for specific travel redemptions. Since I won't be traveling soon, for me UR are worth 1.5 for the CSR and 1.25 for the CSP as long as Pay Yourself Back lasts, so the grocery benefit is 4.5 and 2.5, respectively. That's a fair bit below 3% and 6% of the Amex BCE/BCP, with lower annual fees.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Space Gopher posted:

This isn't really about "travel vs. no-travel" - if you want to travel, you have the means, and you're willing to sacrifice other potential goals, then you should be able to make that work! It's just about the best way to go about actually saving up resources - points or cash - that you can use when you want to go somewhere.

I'd argue that you should be dreaming about where you might want to go, looking at prices occasionally, and saving at least a token amount of cash every month in your travel dream fund. When you burn the loans to the ground, then use some of that newly freed cash flow to step up your contribution to your travel savings.

But - points aren't going to get you there by themselves, unless you're either already traveling on other people's money and scooping the points off the top, or spending poo poo-tons of money elsewhere. Credit card companies, and the travel companies that sell them points for their cardholders, love to promote the idea that you, an ordinary person who just happens to use their card for everyday expenses, will be able to take fantastic luxury vacations at no cost to you. That's a lie. People love to chase the dream, but the real purpose of those programs is to reward big, frequent spenders - almost exclusively business travelers who are in the air or a hotel several times per month at minimum.

As a non-big-spender, the biggest benefits you'll see from travel cards will be signup bonuses, followed by ancillary perks (status bumps, insurance coverage, Priority Pass in Asia, etc). You can get those a few months before you leave - and you won't be sitting around trying to figure out how to use your Marriott points when you really want to stay in a Hyatt property, wishing you could book flights on a SkyTeam airline with your OneWorld-friendly miles, or staring in horror at a point devaluation notice that wrecks your plans. And, if any financial emergency comes up between when you start saving and your departure date, you can always break into a cash piggy bank. Cashing out loyalty points usually ranges from a kind-of-bad deal (Chase) to effectively impossible (any hotel or airline).

So: dream about travel, save up for travel, and work card perks and signup bonuses before you leave, because leisure travel is loving amazing - but use cash-back cards and save up cash to book your trip.

Listen to this guy.

The corollary is that when you DO become a big spender or are traveling on other people's money is that the points then DO give you that opportunity to travel solely on points since you're playing with a much larger pool of points.

Also people who travel solely on points but don't have the accompanying income to take advantage of said luxury booking.... Uh let's just say you don't even enjoy that anyway since the incidentals are well EXPENSIVE?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Paypal 5% on Chase is so bittersweet when I have to pay an extra bunch of charges to use the CC to send F&F compared to my regular account, but still works out worthwhile. Grumble grumble. (My mother in law doesn't have a working Paypal account so I send up to about $1,000 in charity donations for her and she pays me back at the end of the month, having the bonus money from it is nice at least!)

I try not to do that until the last few days of the bonus period. There are so many websites out there that take Paypal. Even this morning I needed some supplies from Home Depot, buying them online for delivery worked better for me and I used Paypal. You'll never know if a last minute purchase comes up that qualifies, so don't burn through it if you don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

And if you're near your quarterly limit and only have the classic Freedom, Chase doesn't prevent you from also getting the Flex for another $1500/quarter in bonus spending + the signup bonus. I'm still shocked they didn't try to tell people "YOU ALREADY HAVE THE FREEDOM, WOULD YOU LIKE TO PRODUCT CHANGE?"

It's especially cool that you can have both because some places, like Costco, come up in the Warehouse Clubs category but only take Visa (regular Freedom), while MasterCard (Freedom Flex) has pretty decent cell phone insurance.

I'm still wondering if something will change with the CSP/CSR soon since 3% back on dining is on all the Freedom cards now.